• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you have prefered Hilda to Iris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethe

Fire Trainer.
Hell yeah, I'm so fed up with Iris calling Ash a kid. UGHH.
Plus, Hilda's pretty hawt.

Hell yeah, I'm so fed up with Iris calling Ash a kid. UGHH.
Plus, Hilda's pretty hawt.

I'm fine with Iris calling Ash a kid.Iris is more hotter She is also a very interesting character.Iris and Misty are almost a like.

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
I wish I didn't even post here. Everyone makes such a big deal about what I say.

"I sure wish I didn't post here so much," he posted.

Anyway, I'm fine with Iris being on the main cast instead of Hilda. They had the female PC in the main group for the last two regions, so a late gym leader instead is a bit more interesting, especially how they've played it out with her... well, not being a gym leader yet but with the possibility of becoming on as part of her Dragon master training or something. I like it because it's a bit less predictable but there's something to base speculation on, basically. Besides, her personality and her interactions with the rest of the cast are quite good, although as Hilda had literally no personality in the games they could have done the same with her anyway :p -shrug-

pokemon fan 132

Not really, if anything Hilda would have been perfect for Ash female rival. But definitely not as main character. I actually like Iris and her personality which can be hyperactive and wild at times. Its fun to watch her cynicism, nitpicking over Ash and overconfidence being too sure in her abilities despite having long way to go.

Im also interested in finding out how will her aim to become dragon master play out, and her pokemon are cool too. Even though Excadrill doesn't have much to do with her dream, its still enjoyable pokemon nonetheless giving needed muscle to otherwise inexperienced and fairly unusable team.

I'm just not a big fan of Hilda's design (or name >.<), plus it's a breath of fresh air having Iris around instead of going with the trend of having the female main characters in the games be in Ash's group. Plus it's a nice nod to the original series with Brock & Misty and whatnot.

I agree, i was getting tired of contests and main female leads so to speak doing same all thing.

However i think reuniting original trio themselves would create bigger impact and be more successful in bringing spirit of past days than any other group could. I would definitely welcome their return.

Her and Misty, other than the healing stuff...do play somewhat similar roles though.

I dunno. Misty has fairly different personality as well, barring one or two traits and she served role as Ash coach and mentor. Something which isn't so much case with Iris.

Brock took over when his father left but now he is a Pokemon doctor. And Misty's sisters were really the gym leaders of the Cerulean gym when Kanto first started but then after Johto, Misty became one.

They were gym leaders from start actually. Brock was official gym leader until Flint came back, and even after he started traveling with Ash he was referred as Pewter gym leader on several occasions. It wasn't until end of Johto when he decided to pass the torch to his brother Forrest, but since his family forgot to notify pokemon league about change inspector Joey in DP special still considered Brock and Flint as gym leaders.

As for Misty it was confirmed in 7th episode in Kanto how she is fourth gym leader when challenging Ash to fight for badge. Afterwards in several episodes like "Totodile Duel", "Just Add Water", "Path to the pokemon league", third movie and Spell of Unknown how she is still Cerulean gym leader(passive one) deciding to leave position to pursue dream of becoming water master.

Not really, if anything Hilda would have been perfect for Ash female rival. But definitely not as main character. I actually like Iris and her personality which can be hyperactive and wild at times. Its fun to watch her cynicism, nitpicking over Ash and overconfidence being too sure in her abilities despite having long way to go.

Im also interested in finding out how will her aim to become dragon master play out, and her pokemon are cool too. Even though Excadrill doesn't have much to do with her dream, its still enjoyable pokemon nonetheless giving needed muscle to otherwise inexperienced and fairly unusable team.

I agree, i was getting tired of contests and main female leads so to speak doing same all thing.

However i think reuniting original trio themselves would create bigger impact and be more successful in bringing spirit of past days than any other group could. I would definitely welcome their return.

I dunno. Misty has fairly different personality as well, barring one or two traits and she served role as Ash coach and mentor. Something which isn't so much case with Iris.

They were gym leaders from start actually. Brock was official gym leader until Flint came back, and even after he started traveling with Ash he was referred as Pewter gym leader on several occasions. It wasn't until end of Johto when he decided to pass the torch to his brother Forrest, but since his family forgot to notify pokemon league about change inspector Joey in DP special still considered Brock and Flint as gym leaders.

As for Misty it was confirmed in 7th episode in Kanto how she is fourth gym leader when challenging Ash to fight for badge. Afterwards in several episodes like "Totodile Duel", "Just Add Water", "Path to the pokemon league", third movie and Spell of Unknown how she is still Cerulean gym leader(passive one) deciding to leave position to pursue dream of becoming water master.

That's exactly what I said with Brock. At the start of the series, he was the gym leader after his father left. But then he decided to travel with Ash. We don't know who was gym leader before his dad left. But I am guessing his father was gym leader before he left when he eventually gave Brock responsibility of the gym and the family.

With Misty, she and her sisters would take over the gym but it wasn't until the end of Johto where Misty took on the role of sole gym leader of the Cerulean Gym.

Faker500

Trolls aren't funny!
I wish I didn't even post here. Everyone makes such a big deal about what I say.

I know that's right. But i wouldn't worry about it though. An Iris topic will always get over heated. It's just the way it is.

But to answer, I don't know if I wouldn't have wanted Hilda or Iris on the show for that matter. Hilda coming after Dawn would just be another topic about clothes waiting to happen. And using Iris on the writers part didn't have to happen. But they thought it would be nice to go back to the old gymleader/gymleader maybe wannabe demographic because they thought it would work again. I understand them trying. But I rather both Hilda and Hilbert instead making Ash wear a different style outfit. But nevermind. That's for another story.

ThunderPuncher

Electrifying!
I'm fine with Iris being the female member of the group.

I think it was a good move to switch things up this region and not just have Hilda come after Dawn and May.

ForgottenPearl

But, yeah...I'm glad for once we have a female character that isn't fan-service.

That about sums up my opinion. And I think Iris is a real interesting character, so I'm all for her. Also, I think it's nice that we finally have a black character, especially one playing a major role.

Not to mention... "Hilda" isn't exactly my favorite name ever.

Last edited:

lokoduro

Shinji Time!
I don't know were you getting off to saying my point is baseless...I guest i can see Iris as a Misty clone since they are both a like. May and Dawn are pretty like clones since they both did pokemon contests,but there personalities are different. I'm not sure how Hilda's personality would had been if she was used in the anime,since she seem like a Dawn clone.

I'm saying that because you don't classify characters as clones just because of their goals.
And Iris has nothing to do with Kasumi.
Hilda would be Hilda.
When talking about PokéGirls,all of them are different from one and another.

I'm saying that because you don't classify characters as clones just because of their goals.
And Iris has nothing to do with Kasumi.
Hilda would be Hilda.
When talking about PokéGirls,all of them are different from one and another.

Well i don't consider them to be clones,each of the PokeGirls are different from each other.I already know that for sure.

Izanagi

'Sup!
I really don't mind them using Iris even though its just a callback to Misty from the original series. If anything Hilda would be great supporting character.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
They most likely wanted to fix what was broken since Misty was broken character but at the same time so is Iris so yea..XD Having Touko first then have Iris join for BW 2 arc would of been better. More dragons for her to catch since old pokemon start appearing. They could please both sides

pokemon fan 132

They most likely wanted to fix what was broken since Misty was broken character but at the same time so is Iris so yea..XD Having Touko first then have Iris join for BW 2 arc would of been better. More dragons for her to catch since old pokemon start appearing. They could please both sides

"Misty was broken character", since when? She had great personality, unique dreams by being only one type trainer in cast, had several cool pokemon and got some great development.

Misty may have received less than May and Dawn, but its quality which matters not quantity. When she did things it was usually done in quality way getting some significant growth and along with Brock she contributed to Ash growth as trainer more than its case with others.She got some great development too becoming better trainer, getting over Gyarados fear, changed as person becoming more confident and independent along with her sisters starting to respect her more.

Writers could have treated Misty better with there existing lot to be desired, but she was if you ask me one of best characters we had in show.

Iris as character has good personality, cool pokemon and i like concept behind her story giving us interesting insight in her past, how she received Excadrill and what motivated her to go on quest of becoming dragon master. Though i feel writers could execute idea in much better manner with her story developing rather too slow. I reckon most development is going to happen once they reach 8th gym and it would be interesting if Excadrill got rematch against Haxorous again.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Hence the term broken, Misty fan 132. Because she's so goddamn perfect in every single way, that automatically makes her broken.

And again, another Fire Emblem parallel pops up. Characters (like Sedgar and Ike, hell, any character in FE9 falls under this) with great growth and stats are capable of sweeping the entire field by themselves and thus earning themselves the infamous title of "broken." Misty, due to her wide and powerful array of Pokemon ("mainly Water types," pikas Godchu), endearing personality (lol) and apparent development (GIVE THE GIRL A TOGEPI AND 180 HER PERSONALITY - Writers) can qualify for such a prestigious title, so really, you shouldn't have a fanny attack over it.

Or you should, because flawed characters are more fun to watch.

pokemon fan 132

Hence the term broken, Misty fan 132. Because she's so goddamn perfect in every single way, that automatically makes her broken.

And again, another Fire Emblem parallel pops up. Characters (like Sedgar and Ike, hell, any character in FE9 falls under this) with great growth and stats are capable of sweeping the entire field by themselves and thus earning themselves the infamous title of "broken." Misty, due to her wide and powerful array of Pokemon ("mainly Water types," pikas Godchu), endearing personality (lol) and apparent development (GIVE THE GIRL A TOGEPI AND 180 HER PERSONALITY - Writers) can qualify for such a prestigious title, so really, you shouldn't have a fanny attack over it.

Or you should, because flawed characters are more fun to watch.

Not sure if i understand where your going with this. But my point was how Misty being i show wasn't mistake and i don't think Iris is writers attempt to make character"done right"since she is actually treated worst in some aspects than Misty was. As for Togepi it only helped her to show more of her other character traits aside from temper(like girly side, sarcasm, passion for battling and various hobbies) due to developing maternal feelings for it, but egg didn't had anything to do with her growth as trainer and character learning to become more open to others and gain more confidence becoming more mature due to help of her friends, obligations, and sisters starring to view her as something more than "useless runt".

For record, not agreeing with something about Misty or any other character doesn't mean your a fanboy and i would appreciate if im not called like this because i would never go that low and be obsessed over fiction.Purpose of debate is to have different opinions explaining your view if you agree or disagree about something.

Either way when it comes to Hilda there were just too many factors going against her, being more simple for writers to just use easier way and include two gym leaders in anime again. For start there was age issue having to deage her to become suitable enough to join Ash cast, and since contests stopped existing in games there wasnt any alternative quest in games for her to do. Not to mention ideology behind Unova was to have "fresh start"with Bw games going through revamp, and only way to achieve that was in going back to formula of Aah and two gym leaders again.

While this limits greatly on writers creativity, main purpose behind anime is still after all to play second fiddle to games promoting them.

Last edited:

HoennTori

BisexualMexnese Kid
No, "Hilda" is such a stupid name, so Iris beats her.

Uhh.... her name is not Hilda but Touko in Japan so your argument is invalid. Besides they would not have used Hilda but a more "USA" style name most likely for the anime dub.

Misty did do a lot more then May and Dawn did that is for sure,she had a lot of battles under her belt and she did gotten a who lot stronger over the year's ,so Misty did do a lot.

Iris is a breath of fresh air and her character is something that is different to the show,since her goal is to become a Dragon Master.Thank god they did not used Hilda are BW series would have suck big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.