• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you have prefered Hilda to Iris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
A question that I'm sure has been asked and answered before, but hasn't gotten it's own thread yet, would you have prefered the lead female to be Hilda, rather than Iris? Personally, I can see Iris being a character like Barry, and show up sometimes, but not as a real lead character. Hilda would have been a far better choice.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Iris and Cilan were purposely chosen because they play off each other and have (somewhat) similar personalities and roles as Misty and Brock did.

I get the feeling Hilda would be almost exactly like Dawn, just slightly less girly. I think we had enough of that.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Yes but they would need a better name then Hilda. She is not an old German lady!

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Eh...I like Iris better than Hilda. I at first wanted Hilda (when I say this I mean before I knew of Iris's existance) to be the main girl with Ash, but I love how Iris and Dento contrast each other. It makes me think the writers are trying to have a Black and White theme with nature and technology like the games. White Forest, Black City anyone?

Kameinu

Arooo!
Though she's by far my favourite playable female. NO. She would've been turned into the run of the mill girly girl basically. Keep her away from the main anime, just give her awesome cameos like the ones Brendan got.

Moltanic

OTTER MODE ACTIVATE!
In b4 Dattebayo comes whining.

Personally, I like the way Iris has been handled thus far into the series. She's far from perfect but still she feels like refreshing change from the usual formula. I enjoy her personality and she's responsible for some of my favorites scenes in BW.

Rubicante

Banned
If Hilda was a main character instead of Iris, the group wouldn't look varied enough. Wild child Iris meshes perfectly with Cilan's flamboyant tendencies and Ash's eager nature. Plus, becoming a Dragon Master is more interesting to me than whatever goal Hilda would've had. What would she do? Musicals? That would be a disaster, and I think contests don't need to come back.

Dattebayo

Banned
Oh yes, a thousand times yes! Same with Hillbert.

The only problem is her role in the group.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Would you have preferred Hilda to Iris?
[IMG139]http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h388/tripandash/tumblr_lm6tzodjiU1qhaleao1_500.gif[/IMG139]

I hope Dax is proud.​

But yeah, I wouldn't have preferred Hilda to Iris. I admit that there was a time when I was looking forward to seeing Hilda appear in the main cast, but then I remembered that I don't really notice the female characters anyway, so I just sort of gave up on that idea. Iris isn't very interesting in my opinion, but at least she's not into Contests. I'm sure Hilda would've done Musicals, which would've been just like Contests only with choreography and props, so at least Iris has saved us from that.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I like Iris because of how she broke the mold for female leads. It wasn't necessarily bad to have the "girl that wants to go to the contest" formula, but it sort of seemed a bit redundant after a while. I like the enthusiasm the female lead, Iris, has and how it is shown throughout the show.

Or should I type a less meaningful post?

Iris all the way man. <3<3

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I just get angry when Iris calls Ash a kid plus her design makes her look so much younger then the last 3 girls

VoltTacklingPika

I'd have to say no, I wouldn't have preferred Hilda. In my opinion, she would have been similar to May and Dawn in how she fits in the group, which would have been redundant. Iris fits in differently, not only in terms of design but in terms of personality as well; how she, as a "wild child" contrasts with the more sophisticated and flamboyant Cilan and her down to earth nature constrasts with Ash's "up and at them" nature. It makes for a more interesting dynamic.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah, seems like everyone is saying she'd probably wind up too similar to Dawn and perhaps Ash....we don't need to sit through that a third time. Even if she didn't do contests, whatever quest she'd have would probably just be more token collecting.

Rex Kamex

No. For me, this is the next best thing to happen without having a main girl. Going back to Ash with two(ish) gym leaders and whatnot rather than having another female player protagonist replace another female player protagonist.

Dattebayo

Banned
^ Or more importantly, replace Ash all together with two new main protagonists, who are siblings, traveling the region together. You may view it as a homage to Max and May's sibling relationship if you like the Advance saga.

Last edited:

Zibdas

not bad
No. For me, this is the next best thing to happen without having a main girl. Going back to Ash with two(ish) gym leaders and whatnot rather than having another female player protagonist replace another female player protagonist.

So, what? Lenora?
Bad thoughts...

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Umm no...she looks like a Mcdonalds employee.

Rubicante

Banned
Iris needs an attitude change. I bet Hilda would have a better attitude.

Just because you don't like her attitude doesn't mean she needs to change it. It's not like she doesn't respect Ash or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.