• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like Sun and Moon if the artstyle was kept the same as Kalos, or would you still hate it?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ash's face was hilariously bad. He looked like Mario with his attire and those z marks looked like a mustache lol. Team Rocket looked creepy as well (but they always were creepy tbh).
Everyone else looked fine, Lillie looked perfect in it.

Trillion

while i prefer xy's artstyle, and think sm's is pretty terrible... xy's honestly wouldn't have worked for what sm was trying to do

i think sm in jn's artsyle would be good though

when the characters returned they looked great [the differences are subtle but i noticed them]. there's also this fan animation of ash through the different phases of his journey in the jn artstyle, and sm ash looks leagues better there

unpopular opinion but jn's artstyle is my favorite of all of them. it works so well

I do think SM is best suited for binge watching than weekly
this

ngl i dropped sm at a certain point during the time it was airing, because there were long stretches where it was just boring to keep up with every week. i ended up binge watching it in 2020 and it's much better to watch that way. not sure why, since they're the exact same episodes lol, but it's a thing

pickapika

Feels disingenious as a question tbh
XY's artstyle would NOT allow the fluidity SM had nor would it fit with its tone, story themes and characterization
Keeping everything the same and just changing the artstyle to XY would probably make it worse tbh

Plus SM's artstyle was amazing, it was just TR and Ash's designs that sucked. Have better designs for them and you wouldnt hear nearly as much complaints
Also, reading the thread, I guess I greatly benefitted from binge watching a lot of SM rather than watching it weekly lol, to me all the fillers were entertaining (well most of them anyway) and so the stretch between the plots never bothered me while others had to endure the wait for a long time. I do think SM is best suited for binge watching than weekly and so the latter structure hurt some of its reception
eh. maybe it wouldn't fit the version of xy people are remembering where ash was always a hyper-determined/focused shonen protagonist. But the actual xy had ash as a buttmonkey goof-ball for most of the run-time with ash inexplicably becoming a super-serious shonen protagonist in select moments.

pickapika

while i prefer xy's artstyle, and think sm's is pretty terrible... xy's honestly wouldn't have worked for what sm was trying to do

i think sm in jn's artsyle would be good though

when the characters returned they looked great [the differences are subtle but i noticed them]. there's also this fan animation of ash through the different phases of his journey in the jn artstyle, and sm ash looks leagues better there

unpopular opinion but jn's artstyle is my favorite of all of them. it works so well

this

ngl i dropped sm at a certain point during the time it was airing, because there were long stretches where it was just boring to keep up with every week. i ended up binge watching it in 2020 and it's much better to watch that way. not sure why, since they're the exact same episodes lol, but it's a thing
s and m was far less plot driven than most pokemon anime which means that there weren't big objectives/battles you were looking forward to each week. It was more about world-building and character stuff which is typically more constant as opposed to "plot objectgive x". Since say, XY, had more moments which were way more important than other moments(this is typical when your focus is plot), you have stuff to anticipate in the interim periods. S and M is just continuously building so there's nothing to anticipate that builds up suspense, ala, no real benefit in terms of narrative reception to waiting

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Even without a change on artstyle I still would’ve disliked this series. I hate the ultra over the top anime face gesticulation to react to things that are supposedly “funny”. It’s not like pokemon wasn’t funny before Sun/Moon? But they felt like they needed to double down I guess. That was one of the first things that irked me. Faba being a twirling mustache villain and taking the place of Lusamine as the main antagonist didn’t sit well with me. Specially after having a more serious and less one dimensional character in Lysandre. The Alola league had a good amount of amateurs that had no business being there. Blue fish girl and green girl being some of the most uninteresting companions ever. No ultra recon squad or Ultra Megalopolis. Having a climax plot like XY, but with Ultra beasts, alien people and characters that are actually interesting would have been cool, but alas they needed to swing the pendulum to the point where pokemon felt unrecognizable to me. In conclusion, the artstyle was not my only problem.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
eh. maybe it wouldn't fit the version of xy people are remembering where ash was always a hyper-determined/focused shonen protagonist. But the actual xy had ash as a buttmonkey goof-ball for most of the run-time with ash inexplicably becoming a super-serious shonen protagonist in select moments.
Still wouldnt fit SM's style tho

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Even without a change on artstyle I still would’ve disliked this series. I hate the ultra over the top anime face gesticulation to react to things that are supposedly “funny”. It’s not like pokemon wasn’t funny before Sun/Moon? But they felt like they needed to double down I guess. That was one of the first things that irked me. Faba being a twirling mustache villain and taking the place of Lusamine as the main antagonist didn’t sit well with me. Specially after having a more serious and less one dimensional character in Lysandre. The Alola league had a good amount of amateurs that had no business being there. Blue fish girl and green girl being some of the most uninteresting companions ever. No ultra recon squad or Ultra Megalopolis. Having a climax plot like XY, but with Ultra beasts, alien people and characters that are actually interesting would have been cool, but alas they needed to swing the pendulum to the point where pokemon felt unrecognizable to me. In conclusion, the artstyle was not my only problem.
Wonderful post
Agree with every word

AJ97

XY was catered more to the Older Community of Fans. Ash actually seemed much older, there was even an obvious Romance plot of sorts added in, etc.

Now while I am no fan of Sun and Moon, I can appreciate them wanting to do something different from the norm. However, my biggest issue was because Sun and Moon felt like a huge dip in Ash's progression, after he significantly peaked in Kalos.

One of the primary drivers of the plot that keeps us watching; is Ash's Progression as a Trainer. Him improving and getting Stronger.
Until Kalos, Elite four members and Regional Champions were shown to be untouchable and on a completely different level compared to Ash and most of the high tier trainers comparable to him.

However in Kalos, we bring in Alain and on top of that, even make him Ash's rival and also gave Ash a Custom Unique Pokemon without a really cool and exciting gimmick.
And after we see Ash skyrocket in skill in Kalos; they rub extra salt to the wounds by having him release Greninja and then switch to a slow paced show where Ash is against surround by unimpressive people and not anyone to really push him.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
XY was catered more to the Older Community of Fans. Ash actually seemed much older, there was even an obvious Romance plot of sorts added in, etc.
One of the big ironies is that it was the least continuity connected of the series. Would've been a cherry on top if they had managed to get more connectivity to the larger series. Oak/Delia/Mimey/Tracey def should've appeared more.