1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like the Pokemon School to have more importance from the beginning?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Jeal, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

One of the things that bother me in the current season is how the Pokémon school is just a plot device, a place for the characters to meet, keep Ash in Melemele, and use it as a stupid excuse for certain episodes, such as the baseball episode and the trip to Kanto.

I think it would be more interesting if it were really relevant to plot and contribuited to Ash's growth as trainer. Something like Yu-gi-oh Gx. Lessons about battles, types, abilities, pratical exams(battles), tournaments between classes. It could even have rivals of other classes. What is your opinion?

2. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

I think the school serves enough purpose. It's the reason Ash stayed in Alola, how he met all his Alolan companions, an excuse to do things like Pokemon Base and the excursions, a cover for the Ultra #squad and a way to introduce exposition in a way that makes sense. Honestly they barely spend any time at school anyway so it's not a huge issue for me.

Other classes would have been interesting, one of the most confusing parts is how many students the school actually has. We see a lot of kids AROUND the school but (I'm not up to date so this may not be true in later eps) we never see any faculty outside Oak and Kukui and Ash's class consists of just the main cast.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  3. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

I totally agree with you @Jeal. When I first heard about the concept near the end of XY&Z, I thought I hated it, but now I hate it even more in the opposite direction. Essentially, it serves as an excuse for Ash to stay on Melemele Island, without actually showing anything happening in the classroom beyond just 2-3 min snippets in some episodes. It's quite frustrating really. I would strongly prefer it if actual things were learned.

Jeal and blizzardblaze like this.
  4. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Somewhat. I like how it's become a central hub for the gang to hang out and means some characters don't clutter up the screen, if they're not relevant, they don't appear.

On the flip side, they could have literally picked any location for a central hub. We barely see the school being utilised for what it actually is. Most of the adventures take place outside the school and whenever the scene is set in school, it's like the other students don't exist (with a few exceptions).

Redstar45 and LilligantLewis like this.
  5. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ The Fiery Princess of Mars

There needs to be more episodes like the Baseball episode and the play episode.

satopi likes this.
  6. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I admit I would have liked the school to have more meaningful effect. It feels like the purpose was for Ash to try new ground as a trainer and learn new obstacles, but only a handful of studies like the switch up episode had meaningful development, and Ash just comically fails at most of them so they rarely add much to his quota.

7. Epicocity

Epicocity Well-Known Member

More than that, they've actually deliberately removed students from episodes. There was one preview that showed other students, but by the time the episode rolled around, those students weren't in that scene anymore.

8. LilligantLewis

The baseball episode could have happened in any generation though, and in fact we have had baseball episodes in the past. It didn't truly make use of the school or the fact that it was happening at a school, in any way.

Redstar45 likes this.
  9. AznKei

AznKei Pump It Up Prime 2 Girl

I would like some kind of Capcom's Rival Schools plot. Where there's few students that represent a school and interact/fight against other few students from other schools to have clues who is responsible of the crimes happening in their schools.

Redstar45 and Jeal like this.
  10. LilligantLewis

I would have definitely liked a rival school as well as it would have forced a greater sense of camaraderie on the classmates.

Redstar45 likes this.
  11. FlygontheRavager

FlygontheRavager #1 Pokémon Anime Fan!

That’s actually a legitimate complaint I have with this series. Where the heck are the other students all the time? We see them from time to time, but...they should really show up more.

Pokegirl Fan~ and LilligantLewis like this.
  12. LilligantLewis

I remember in one of the initial previews and/or magazine pages from 2016, there was an empty seventh desk beyond just the six our main cast sit in, and people spent pages debating and theorizing who it was, and some people thought it was going to be Hau. Too bad that I don't remember that seventh desk ever showing up in the main show, or at least never resulting in anything.

Redstar45 likes this.
  13. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

I liked your idea, the concept of a rival school looks cool, what about a tournamente between schools? The writers really don't think more than necessary.

Redstar45 likes this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

The school was a never a good idea since even someone as dense as Satoshi knew a lot about Pokemon, so him attending school seemed pointless. I do wish that we'd see more students attend just to add something fresh to the static setting, however.

Redstar45 likes this.
  15. Ignition

Ignition Couldn't care less even if I tried

I would like it to have more importance but I barely can think of any way to utilize it. I'd much rather prefer the Island Challenge to be his main "goal". Hell I'm pretty sure each series has an episode/arc around school so they easily could've made the first couple of episodes about him at school like the beginning of your journey in the actual games.

I think previous series had something good to add to a academics episode. OS/AG's were comedic while teaching about battling, DP had them actually compete and have old and new rivals (Conway and Angie) while also bonding with Pokémon that weren't theirs (sounds familiar?), BW had a school setting be a focus point in Iris's journey (even if it wasn't for the best) and they had many opportunities with the tournaments and facilities to get them to learn, and XY's summer camp arc was a nice introduction to the non PC trio of rivals from the games while, like Iris, giving Serena a spark for her ambitions in life. While these aren't exactly like SM's school, it'd be nice to iincorporate some of the pros from past series into it

16. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

they could have at least had ash consider whether or not he wanted to go to the school by checking out it's activities for a couple of episodes, and then make him decide if it would actually help him in any way compared to gathering experience by actually meeting the pokemon themselves.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  17. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Well-Known Member

when was that? Though yeah, illima's fangirls have been pretty much the only other students we've seen since ash vs tapu koko round 2

18. shoz999

shoz999 Master of Disguise!

Honestly I thought the Pokemon School format was restricting the anime from properly exploring a lot of game-central locations. They could've easily done a lot of the fun filler stuff in a regular Pokemon journey format.

19. Epicocity

Epicocity Well-Known Member

I want to say the first Masked Royal episode. When Ash was doing his usual butt-shaking, in the preview there were other students watching him behind the classmates, while in the actual episode it was just the classmates.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  20. satopi

satopi All hail Satomine Night!

Somewhat but moreso concerning Mallow.