• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to have another fire/fighting as starter?

Would you like to have another fire/fighting starter on next generation?

• Total voters

gliscor&yanmega

I don't. I'm done of fire/fighting. Blaziken was the original and all the others were copying him. All okay with Infernape, but Emboar too? Fire/Fighting is becoming a standard.

Hope Nintendo will make a little different on next generation. Even a pure fire type was going to be a better idea. It's very disturbing to beware of psychic and flying types all the time.

I don't see how they are "copying" Blaziken, not exactly sure what you mean by that. Pokemon can have the same type as others though, yah three Fire/Fighting types in a row is probably a bit repetitive for some people at least, but regardless, it doesn't mean they are "copying" anything.

That being said, I would like something different, but I wouldn't really have a problem with another Fire/Fighting starter though.

JustCallMeKing

Gamefreak needs to switch it up. A Fire-Bug or a Fire-Steel starter would be cool, maybe.

Bluemiracle

Biologist
I would love to see something like a Fire-Ghost or Fire-Psychic starter. Now that would be interesting

virizionx86

Better than Breloom.
I don't see how they are "copying" Blaziken, not exactly sure what you mean by that. Pokemon can have the same type as others though, yah three Fire/Fighting types in a row is probably a bit repetitive for some people at least, but regardless, it doesn't mean they are "copying" anything.

I don't see how that means that Emboar and Infernape didn't copy Blaziken's typing.

I see it as working one of two ways:

1. Game Freak intentionally made Emboar and Infernape's designs the way they are right now. And as with all Pokemon, it was after their designs were made that they considered what type to make the two. Fire/Fighting seemed like the best idea to them, so they intentionally made them Fire/Fighting.

2. Game Freak thought that they should make more Fire/Fighting starters, and so they did.

Either way, Game Freak intentionally made them Fire/Fighting. Did they intentionally try to mimic Blaziken's typing? Maybe. But either way, the fact that all three are Fire/Fighting means that Emboar and Infernape's typing are a copy of Blaziken's typing.

Again, they could've made Pokemon that were based off of whatever Infernape and Emboar are based off of, but they could've easily made them non-starter Pokemon. That way, the new Infernape would be a wild Pokemon that a player could catch if they really liked Blaziken in gen 3, whereas the new Emboar could've been interpreted as a counterpart to the new Infernape, similar to how Pidove can be seen as a counterpart to Pidgey.

tailsxcream fan

Pokemon Master
I would like a Fire/Electric starter or a Fire/Flying not like Charizard but a first form Flying type.

gliscor&yanmega

I don't see how that means that Emboar and Infernape didn't copy Blaziken's typing.

I see it as working one of two ways:

1. Game Freak intentionally made Emboar and Infernape's designs the way they are right now. And as with all Pokemon, it was after their designs were made that they considered what type to make the two. Fire/Fighting seemed like the best idea to them, so they intentionally made them Fire/Fighting.

2. Game Freak thought that they should make more Fire/Fighting starters, and so they did.

Either way, Game Freak intentionally made them Fire/Fighting. Did they intentionally try to mimic Blaziken's typing? Maybe. But either way, the fact that all three are Fire/Fighting means that Emboar and Infernape's typing are a copy of Blaziken's typing.

Again, they could've made Pokemon that were based off of whatever Infernape and Emboar are based off of, but they could've easily made them non-starter Pokemon. That way, the new Infernape would be a wild Pokemon that a player could catch if they really liked Blaziken in gen 3, whereas the new Emboar could've been interpreted as a counterpart to the new Infernape, similar to how Pidove can be seen as a counterpart to Pidgey.

Using the same typing doesn't mean it's copying, it's just re-using a typing.

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
Blaziken did enough for me. With Infernape, I couldn't help but think that he was just a copy of Blaziken with him being a monkey that punches rather than a bird that kicks. I'm game for a fire/dragon though, since Charizard was denied that privelage...

Ditto B1tch

The figthing type Pokemons usually got an humanoid-like appearance (this doesn't mean they belong to the humanoid group). As Infernape has humanoid features as he was based on a primate, this could be a logical reason Nintendo made it fighting type.

But why Emboar? Pigs/boars are lazy animals that badly stand up, which is very opposite to the typical fighting type features. It should have been made a pure fire type.

gliscor&yanmega

The figthing type Pokemons usually got an humanoid-like appearance (this doesn't mean they belong to the humanoid group). As Infernape has humanoid features as he was based on a primate, this could be a logical reason Nintendo made it fighting type.

But why Emboar? Pigs/boars are lazy animals that badly stand up, which is very opposite to the typical fighting type features. It should have been made a pure fire type.

Emboar probably has more to it's concept then just an Animal, as many Pokemon do.

virizionx86

Better than Breloom.
Using the same typing doesn't mean it's copying, it's just re-using a typing.

They reused the typing intentionally to fit two other Fire/Fighting types that serve the same role in their respective games as Blaziken (both Infernape and Emboar are final evolutions of Fire-type starter Pokemon). Similar to how Pidove and Pidgey are two different Normal/Flying types that are counterparts of each other (in other words, a copy), I don't see how it doesn't apply here.

To clarify, the main complaint isn't that Game Freak "copied" Blaziken's typing with Infernape and Emboar. Instead, the main complaint seems to be that there have been too many Fire/Fighting starters, which may look like Game Freak is copying previous starters' types. The simple fix wouldn't be for Game Freak to "reuse types" rather than "copy", but rather to discontinue making Fire/Fighting starters.

Last edited:

Arceusgamer14

NO No no
Don't get me wrong their awesome, but it's getting too much, I just hope the 3DS generation will have a different Fire type Pokémon with a different type combination

Ditto B1tch

Furthermore, fire/fighting got 4 weaknesses while pure fire type got 3.

And some members said that fire/fighing is stronger than pure fire. Technically, it isn't.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Furthermore, fire/fighting got 4 weaknesses while pure fire type got 3.

And some members said that fire/fighing is stronger than pure fire. Technically, it isn't.

Maybe that has something to do with an added resistance to Dark, an increased resistance to Bug, a newfound neutrality to Rock, plus the ability to deal neutral STAB damage to Dragons, opposing Fires, and Waters, and the ability to deal SE damage with STAB to Darks, Normals, and Rocks?

Maybe you're taking an entirely one-dimensional look at the type chart and the disadvantages of adding types because you don't have a better, more relevant way to support your argument?

Stymie