1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Would you like to live forever? Yes! Why wouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by daveshan, Dec 9, 2011.

1. daveshan

daveshan My little friend

So, I just sat through yet another story where some character who was 'cursed' with immortality (youth included) explains to the protagonist how when you live forever, you have to deal with all the grief and pain of loss and outliving your loved ones and yada yada ya-we've-heard-it-all-already-a-thousand-times-da.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but spending a long time alive when people around you that you're close to die is something that starts happening, usually, around the age of 4. My grandparents have all passed away. I have aunts and uncles and cousins who are gone. Friends of mine died too young. Even my father died when I was only 23.

Were these losses tragic? Yes, of course. Did I cry and feel depressed for the weeks following each death? You better believe I did. But do I still carry that depression with me or have I moved on while still feeling a connection (your definition of 'connection' may vary) to them? I've moved on while finding a way to stay connected and have made new relationships with new people.

And I know I'm not the only one who's done this or the one who's had the worst loss. People remarry after their spouse dies. Some have children even after a son/daughter has passed. And they don't let the grief dominate their lives.

So my question to my fellow Serebiiers is thus: Why would you say 'no' to being young and alive forever?

2. ChedWick

ChedWick Well-Known Member

If we're talking like eternal youth immortality then yea I would indeed like to live forever. I can deal with loss now. Maybe not in the most desirable way but that is neither here nor there.

There's a lot that I wish I could do but I have neither the time nor the money to do them. With immortality all I'd really have to do is make a few good choices, work on a retirement plan and I could be set for a life time.

3. CSolarstorm

CSolarstorm New spicy version

Well, experiencing your relatives dying is a natural part of life, but when you're much older, you'll start experiencing friends dying, and possibly kids younger than you or your children dying, and it will probably pile up on you.

That's not the reason I'd say no though. If the deal was that I'd have to live forever, the chances would approach 1:1 that eventually I'll get into an accident, maybe trip and fall off a cliff, or accidently get into a natural disaster, and be trapped somewhere, unable to free myself from the trap by dying. I think dying is easier than being entombed somewhere for eternity.

I wouldn't say no to controlling how long I get to live, though.

4. Tyrant Tar

Tyrant Tar Well-Known Member

Different people handle loss in different ways. Some can move on, some just can't.

I'd really rather not live through all my loved ones dying (including my children, grandchildren, etc.), my nation/community's eventual collapse, natural disasters (ESPECIALLY those ridiculous ones like the Yellowstone supervolcano), the myriad man-made crises that'll eventually pop up, whatever ultimately destroys the planet/galaxy/universe, etc., etc..
    Not to mention I'd probably have to work forever (or rather have no permanent retirement).

5. UnovaMaster

UnovaMaster Well-Known Member

I'd definitely enjoy being alive forever, even if those closest to me were to fade away and die themselves over time (which won't be a problem if they live forever too) I can always make new bonds with people while still holding my fond memories of my past relationships with people. And since I'm an atheist, it's not like I'm going to believe that once we die we all reunite with our loved ones in heaven. So why on earth would I want to end my adventure?

6. deoxysdude94

deoxysdude94 I'm gonna miss my boi Deoxys...

Definitely not. I wanna know what happens after death. I think I've got a good idea of what happens, but I'd like to see. When my times comes to leave, of course...

7. orangezilla

orangezilla Who's dar man

Change can be a very difficult thing, you would have to live with constant change, watch everyone you ever love grow old and die around you. Personally it doesn't appeal.

8. No. Going to heaven beats immortality anytime but I don't wanna get in a religious argument so I'll stop there.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  9. Gelatino95

Gelatino95 Not a tool

Pretty much this. I want to be like the elves in Lord of the Rings (not entirely sure on this, haven't read the book since I was ten) which can live forever as long as they take care of themselves, as in they don't experience any aging effects, but they die if their body is forced to stop functioning like in an accident or something.

10. Mankanshoku Mako

Mankanshoku Mako Well-Known Member

It depends on the exact details of the immortality. If I was forced to live forever after gaining it, I'd be hesistant. You could be involved in an earthquake and be trapped underneath rubble for eternity, never being freed, or the planet could fall under the control of an alien species and be enslaved. Losing the ability to escape from those situations via death would be terrible. If I could abandon my imortality if neccisary, it'd be great. Losing friends and family would be difficult and emotionaly painful, but I'm sure that eventually I'd be able to overcome any deaths and continue enjoying immortalit(after all, I can cry about for however long I need to, I've got all the time in the world).

11. Ioneos

Ioneos Well-Known Member

If I had the choice to live forever, I might if I had the choice to end my life whenever it so pleases me. Then again I may not. It could get boring, just waiting for the 2984534874359th gen of Pokemon to come out. Plus the fact that it might seem suspicious that everyone in a town dies of old age except for you. You could really have no real freinds or relationships with people of any sort for more than their lifespan. It'd be the life of a loner, and a horrible one at that.

12. Kansas_Rocks!

Kansas_Rocks! Awesomeness Trainer

How 'bout this. Science says (even though I am Christian) that the sun will expand at one time and consume the earth. If you had immortality, you would have to live through this extremely bad time, and when the sun depletes itself, you would suffocate forever in the void of space. So I would say no, I wouldn't accept immortality.

13. Ioneos

Ioneos Well-Known Member

At least you would have the blessing of death in your theory. If humans eventually find ways to colonize other planets and such, then you would probably be forced to once the government learns about it. Either that or a lack of willpower would compell you to take the last vessel out of there. After eons of eternal life, I don't think that anyone could so easily give it up just like that.

14. aurasageluke

aurasageluke AuraSage

So long as I get free beer, food, and video games, then sure. If not, then here's why I wouldn't:
    LIFE SUCKS AS IS. Why would I want to suffer more then I do now?

15. YaDunGoofed

YaDunGoofed #TYBG

Tuck Everlasting.

Well, I wouldn't. I'd rather die...as life was intended. I don't handle deaths well...(the only human ever lost in my life was my great-grandma). I also hate to see a civilization fall, thinking back on all the History lessons.

16. Hox

Hox Banned

Hell yes I would choose to live forever. As far as loved ones dying, I have the rest of eternity to move on. That's really a non issue for me. What about an earthquake or something and you get trapped forever? Um, what the hell are the chances of that? Simple solution: don't live near a fault line. Sun expanding and exploding? Please. The thread says immortality, not invincibility. If the sun expands and completely incinerates the entire earth, you're a damned goner. Immortal or not. Gonna be hard to live forever if you don't even have a body to live in, non? In addition, the sun isn't supposed to explode for another billion or so plus years. Hopefully we'll be on different planets by that time anyway. Considering how rapidly technology has been advancing in just the past 500 years, it's not that far fetched. But what about having to work forever? Well I'm assuming if you have all the time in the world, you'll find a job that you actually love to do and it won't be like work anyway. I really see no cons in living forever. I only see pros.

If someone pointed me to the fountain of youth and was like "Yo drink this and you'll never die" I'd definitely be all "Hook me up brother!"

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  17. Snipehsheep

Snipehsheep Scottish American

Yes, if I also get eternal youth.

18. daveshan

daveshan My little friend

I'm glad this has taken the interest of such dynamic opinions. Also that issues of sun-expansion and earthquake-trap forever have gotten answered.

But, to some people who've said they'd like to end their immortality at some point: No. In this scenario, it's eternal youth all the way or none at all.

19. Kaiserin

Kaiserin please wake up...

As far as I'm concerned, eternal youth would be preferable. I think I read somewhere that even if you live a long time and are as healthy as can be, other parts of your body will still deteriorate. For example, I think wherever it was I read this said that your eyesight gradually deteriorates with age until you eventually go blind due to buildup or something-or-other that screws up your vision... hearing's probably not much different, either. And frankly, once you go completely blind and deaf, I'm not sure immortality alone would be worth living like that if the rest of your body continues to rot. Not enough so that you die, but enough to make the quality of life less than desirable.

And then there's the aforementioned emotional exhaustion that would probably come from that. As cliche as it sounds, the idea is probably not too off-base, and I wouldn't doubt some people would just give up after a while and eventually drive themselves insane.

EDIT: A thought... are we talking immortality plus indestructibility, or just immortality with the risk you can still get blown to bits in a freak accident or some such?

20. sizida

sizida CoconutIsTheAnswer

do you want to see how the world ends? have fun watching it.

i prefer to die as part of the cycle of life.