• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to live forever? Yes! Why wouldn't I?

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
You're perception of time does speed up as you get older, but I agree that nothing can prepare someone for an eternity of nothingness. Besides, no matter how much your perception of time speeds up, an eternity wil;l not be short.
All I can say about this, "Wanna bet?" A year does not at all feel like it did when I was a young buck. New Years feels like just a couple weeks ago (you know two weeks ago) and here it is May! Perception of time DOES change with age. It slips through your hands like grains of sand and no matter how hard you try to hold on to it it just keeps slipping away.

Vernikova

Champion
So you say that my estimation of the technology we can come up with isn't probable and we'll never know what we're capable of in 200-500 years..

But who's the say the Earth even lasts to that period? I think the hardest thing to estimate is exactly when the world ends. It's much easier to estimate what we could possibly create.

But how do you know what we could possibly create in one hundred years from now? I mean, one hundred years ago I'm not too sure how many people thought that we would even have the ability to get into space or be able to watch television portably. I mean, is there anything to suggest that the Earth will not last another two hundred years? Or that we will not last that long?

However, look at the rate we are currently going.. I don't see a galaxy traveling machine any time soon. I suppose something that could maybe reach around our own solar system, but outside of that? Nothing. Perhaps an analogy may suit us:

I don't believe that we'll need a galaxy traveling machine unless time matters which probably would not be the case.

Let's look at the continental United States for a moment. Imagine if it didn't have its highways. If you went out traveling on a full tank on gas, you likely wouldn't even leave your state. Sure, you'd know the general "east" and "west" direction, but considering all the mountains and hills, who's to say you won't change course? Who's to say you won't get lost?

Our highway systems are successful for the following reasons:

• Gas stations, restaurants, and motels are essentially checkpoints.
  • Even if you could not read signs at all, almost every town has a motel, gas station, and checkpoint
  • Signs that show miles, destinations, and routes are paths.
  • Even if you ran out of fuel, you could just call highway patrol. Possibly even some random stranger could help you out.
  • The highways are constantly cleaned and inspected.

Now let's compare the universe to the continental US highway. Well, there certainly aren't signs to tell you where you're going. There are no checkpoints to refuel your body and vehicle. It's mostly desolate, so if you get stuck in a part of the universe where there's literally nothing, you're all alone. By the way, some solar systems and galaxies may not even have a source of light. Can you imagine the possible amount darkness?

By definition a solar system would have a source of light. Though I cannot imagine that because I don't even believe that that situation exists at the moment.

So, what does this have to do with technology? Well, the only reason we have a high way system is because there's a clear population of intelligent beings. America is filled with tons of towns and roads already for us. We can clearly measure distances because we can easily travel them. The universe doesn't have that same accessibility. It would take far too long to create conditions in which the universe could be used like a high way system. We haven't even done the most basic thing yet: travel outside of our own "town" (or house considering the size of the universe). That's ignoring the safety conditions as well. Highways are closed and opened depending on how safe they are. The universe? You'd never know if you were traveling into a blackhole or not, and can you imagine being immortal and getting sucked into a black hole? Being hit by possible comets? There's honestly no telling what safety hazards are out there.

So you're arguing that immortality is bad because our technology has not advanced enough?

Honestly, I see no reason at this point for any person to wish themselves to be immortal, because no human on Earth can be prepared for this based on not just our physical needs, but emotional needs as well. When people say they want to be immortal, they assume the world will last forever. Traveling the universe is a lot like traveling America with a full tank of gas and everybody possibly being in California while you're in... Maine.

Well, if we go by what people are claiming about desensitization over time, would it matter to that person if met their own emotional needs? I don't know the answer to that so I'm just asking hypothetically.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
But how do you know what we could possibly create in one hundred years from now? I mean, one hundred years ago I'm not too sure how many people thought that we would even have the ability to get into space or be able to watch television portably. I mean, is there anything to suggest that the Earth will not last another two hundred years? Or that we will not last that long?
Creating a television is not the same as creating some form of travel that would enable people to explore the universe. A TV is more simple in nature. How do I know we won't last as long as you may think we will? I just consider population growth, the Earth's environment issues, and the chance of nuclear war. I see us lasting 1,000 years tops as an advanced civilization. Give or take.

I don't believe that we'll need a galaxy traveling machine unless time matters which probably would not be the case.

Well, if we go by what people are claiming about desensitization over time, would it matter to that person if met their own emotional needs? I don't know the answer to that so I'm just asking hypothetically.
I'll digress from the time debate for now.

However, if you are willing to allow the human psychology to not care about time over time.. you also have to concede to the torturous feeling of loneliness and boredom.

By definition a solar system would have a source of light. Though I cannot imagine that because I don't even believe that that situation exists at the moment.
As wide as our universe is, you don't believe it's mostly dark? I mean do you think Pluto and Neptune get sunlight? It's incredibly dark.

So you're arguing that immortality is bad because our technology has not advanced enough?
If I were to sum up why immortality is bad, I think it would come down to the human mind not being able to find pleasure for eternity in anything.

Vernikova

Champion
Creating a television is not the same as creating some form of travel that would enable people to explore the universe. A TV is more simple in nature. How do I know we won't last as long as you may think we will? I just consider population growth, the Earth's environment issues, and the chance of nuclear war. I see us lasting 1,000 years tops as an advanced civilization. Give or take.

I agree that it is more simple in nature but back then it would have seen more fantastical. If we were to use a more scientific example, it would've been like sending things into space and past the planets which we can currently do. Even half of one thousand years is a long time for major development to occur.

I'll digress from the time debate for now.

However, if you are willing to allow the human psychology to not care about time over time.. you also have to concede to the torturous feeling of loneliness and boredom.

I do concede.

As wide as our universe is, you don't believe it's mostly dark? I mean do you think Pluto and Neptune get sunlight? It's incredibly dark.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the way you are using dark. Do you mean without light or very little light? Looking at renditions, it seems like Pluto gets enough sunlight not for life but enough for it not to be dark.

If I were to sum up why immortality is bad, I think it would come down to the human mind not being able to find pleasure for eternity in anything.

I see where you're coming from. The problem that we're having is that we can only speculate how far we will exist on this planet or at all. Your arguments are stemming from the standpoint of "What is we only have a little time left?" while I'm coming from "What if we have a lot of time left?" Is that right?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I suppose I mean our sense of dark. I mean, if you don't believe me, try going outside with the street lights off. You won't see a thing.. and we're on Earth.

Your arguments are stemming from the standpoint of "What is we only have a little time left?" while I'm coming from "What if we have a lot of time left?" Is that right?

Considering I'd be immortal, I don't believe the Earth will ever have enough time. Even if it were a billion years, eternity is still eternity, and there isn't a single thing that would give us the same pleasure for eternity.

Ludger

スポック
I don't quite understand what you're saying in these two sentences. Do you mind clearing it up?
Well sorry if you don't understand what I am trying to say. What I am trying to say is Time can both based on feelings and can be counted. And then the ancient civilization have a large history that we might be able to be learnt. Isn't that the function of history, To learn something from the past and not making the same mistake from the past. I know you think my first sentence is irrevelance with others. But think about people that left by history. Some of them trying to live forever as well but none has succeed. Well not everyone has not succeed. Many mystery still need to be uncovered about immortality

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
I suppose I mean our sense of dark. I mean, if you don't believe me, try going outside with the street lights off. You won't see a thing.. and we're on Earth.

To be fair, you won't see anything because of light pollution.

Considering I'd be immortal, I don't believe the Earth will ever have enough time. Even if it were a billion years, eternity is still eternity, and there isn't a single thing that would give us the same pleasure for eternity.

With time, there could be new discoveries in science, technology, etc. Who's is to say that one would have to live alone if there were other means for companionship? At this point, I realize that I'm becoming increasingly speculative over this subject which may or may not weaken my argument (depending on who you ask I suppose). Humans as we know them today have only been around for a few thousand years and so if we were to take your supposed billion years then it would be unimaginable to us what could happen and what we could discover.

Well sorry if you don't understand what I am trying to say. What I am trying to say is Time can both based on feelings and can be counted. And then the ancient civilization have a large history that we might be able to be learnt. Isn't that the function of history, To learn something from the past and not making the same mistake from the past. I know you think my first sentence is irrevelance with others. But think about people that left by history. Some of them trying to live forever as well but none has succeed. Well not everyone has not succeed. Many mystery still need to be uncovered about immortality

Are you suggesting that an ancient civilization may have discovered the secret of immortality?

Ludger

スポック
Are you suggesting that an ancient civilization may have discovered the secret of immortality?
I say that it is still a mystery. But from our look no civillization able to achieve immortallity so for now immortallity is almost impossible

Vernikova

Champion
I say that it is still a mystery. But from our look no civillization able to achieve immortallity so for now immortallity is almost impossible

Yeah, I'm sure that most people here realize that. It's just a hypothetical question after all.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed

I think he's just played too much Golden Sun is all. Good game and all, but seriously, man.

As for myself, I think immortality would be pretty awesome, even if, as GhostAnime is saying, it comes with a lot of baggage, what with boredom and being the only sentient thing alive and all. Your psyche would probably change eventually though, so that you don't dwell on those things after so long. I dunno. Though I don't think getting around the cosmos would necessarily be a big deal if seriously nothing could harm you, since over a period of eternity, the celestial bodies you'd find yourself on would eventually be destroyed and wind up elsewhere. Even if you can't get off of a planet yourself, if you wait forever, it's bound to be broken into little pieces at some point, and you could just move on from there. Still depressing, though.

Immortality would be a lot more enticing if it did have some sort of endpoint, though, like you'd die once the rest of humanity does, or when the earth is destroyed or something. Although I suppose that kinda defies the idea of the question.

Darth Revan

Coming Out!
No. Because i'd be missing Heaven

KingWiggins

Living forever would suck. End of story.
Not only you would have to go through mental pain of seeing all your loved ones die before your eyes, you would basically go through..well...physical pain..torture.
If you are immortal, you will not die, right? So on the torture topic:
You could possibly go through pain that would normally kill a person, but since you are immortal, you are going through a TERRIBLE amount of pain..I mean, you die for a reason. I really suck at giving examples, so I won't even waste your time. But so you get the point, let's just say this:
Pain/Pressure/Disease that would kill you x Immortality = Hell filled with pain for you.
You basically end up disabled/paralized once you get to an age such as 80/90- up, so basically the rest of your life is going through critical pain while being pushed around in a wheel chair. Not fun.
I rather just die (don't get any ideas) than live forever.

Ludger

スポック
I think he's just played too much Golden Sun is all. Good game and all, but seriously, man.

As for myself, I think immortality would be pretty awesome, even if, as GhostAnime is saying, it comes with a lot of baggage, what with boredom and being the only sentient thing alive and all. Your psyche would probably change eventually though, so that you don't dwell on those things after so long. I dunno. Though I don't think getting around the cosmos would necessarily be a big deal if seriously nothing could harm you, since over a period of eternity, the celestial bodies you'd find yourself on would eventually be destroyed and wind up elsewhere. Even if you can't get off of a planet yourself, if you wait forever, it's bound to be broken into little pieces at some point, and you could just move on from there. Still depressing, though.

Immortality would be a lot more enticing if it did have some sort of endpoint, though, like you'd die once the rest of humanity does, or when the earth is destroyed or something. Although I suppose that kinda defies the idea of the question.

*Ahem* well. We cannot find so much example of immortallity in this world. Basically one of every invention of men in history based on nature themself and human wants to copy it in their own ways. Even if there is a species that considered to be immortal but it is not perfectly immortal. So I stating that immortallity is almost impossible if it is scientifically created by human. But the thing such as travelling to the another planet I stated that it would be impossible. Why? Because not just getting new kind of energy to go there, we cannot find the same enviroment as we living right now. Even we have find a planet that have the same enviroment, we still cannot identify where water in this earth come from and how we can transport all of them.

And on psychological sides. I agree with KingWiggins about the world could be a living hell. I think the people who wants immortallity generally wants more pleasure in this world. But when they achieve immortallity we couldn't face the truth and expirience that they will face. Even if aging is stopped at age 25, it might become a international currency like In Time movie. So I stated that immortality in this world is not exist and therefore it is not good

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
GrizzlyB said:
Even if you can't get off of a planet yourself, if you wait forever, it's bound to be broken into little pieces at some point, and you could just move on from there.
Move how? 10ch

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Move how? 10ch

Well, not move as in, "you'll have any say in the matter," but you won't be stuck on the same planet for forever. If you wait forever, any planet you're on is bound to be hit by something big enough to smash it into smithereens, and those pieces will go elsewhere with you on one of them. Doesn't sound like the best way to travel/spend eternity, but you won't be stuck in any one place for all that time. (Granted, in the Earth's case, it very well might be engulfed by the sun once it starts burning out, before anything big enough to do that serious of damage hits the Earth. And I don't know what that means to a person who can't be killed or maimed no matter what, but then again pretty much all of what I'm talking about it just conjecture without any true physical basis)

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
There are days that I would like to be immortal, then there are days were I'm fine with the natural cycle of life, which leads to death. It all depends on how you see things and observe life. Life is great and blissful at times, then there are days were things 'don't go your way' and you find many of natures' doings oblivious towards you. Killing, war, love, hate. Those elements will exist forever, and knowing that you will never die and experience the same cycle forever will drive you to the brink of insanity. Knowing that there are many teenage suicides over the years, I doubt that they would carry on without dying, experiencing the pains in life knowing there is no release.

So no, being immortal is a living hell. It's good to see people and civilization around you change, but then you'll soon find no meaning, and you wish for higher grounds than this earth. It'll be good to live a long time, but living on forever? I'll toss that aside.

(·-·)(o_O)

oh hai there
That'd be pretty cool because you could see the technology and how much society has improved or worsened but on the other side I'd like to go to Heaven and meet God so probably no to living forever and the world will end so all your gonna do is float in space for all eternity XD

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Bloody no because I would have the body of a 100 year old forever. And I wouldn't like that.
Only if you got it at 100, no, you wouldn't I think.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
That'd be pretty cool because you could see the technology and how much society has improved or worsened but on the other side I'd like to go to Heaven and meet God so probably no to living forever and the world will end so all your gonna do is float in space for all eternity XD

But we may not know how the world would end at all. The entire universe may burst into trillions of particles and all matter itself will be undefined. It's better off that we die. At least at an old enough age were you can see technology advance at a significant rate.