• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to live forever? Yes! Why wouldn't I?

I'd live forever, if death cannot happen then the need to breath would not be a problem, being burnt would have no effect (as being burnt to a crisp and having no proper physical form is techically death so you cannot posibly die by that method.)
losing someone you love could be replaced in your infinitive life time.
the ability to see what happens in the next 1000 years has been a dream of mine and that is why i would choose it.

P.S if you were invincible and lived forever wouldn't that mean that you could be a one man army, the worlds oldest man and fattest man ever at the exact same time?

Last edited:

daveshan

My little friend
EDIT: A thought... are we talking immortality plus indestructibility, or just immortality with the risk you can still get blown to bits in a freak accident or some such?

I'd say no invincibility, save for whatever part of the brain that actually is you. Which would be limited to maybe half a fist-sized cluster of cells at most.

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
I'd say no invincibility, save for whatever part of the brain that actually is you. Which would be limited to maybe half a fist-sized cluster of cells at most.

Well if we put no invincibility then you're not really immortal.....because then a disease can kill you and you will die.....

Gelatino95

Not a tool
What about an earthquake or something and you get trapped forever? Um, what the hell are the chances of that? Simple solution: don't live near a fault line.

If you have forever to live, then there's actually quite a high chance of that assuming we're talking about a theoretically infinite amount of time. I live far from any fault lines and I experienced an earthquake just a couple months ago. You never know.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
Well I suppose it would have to depend on the terms of the deal. For instance price and flexibility. For instance if I do tire of life am I able to die of my own free will?

Because I would like to think after a thousand years of life that I could still enjoy it, but I would bet upon my mind set changing after such a large amount of experience over such a large amount of time. So would I think immortality is a good thing after all that time? I can't say and it would be presumptious for me to think my future self is the same person as I am.

Then there is also the problems of being trapped forever, like Nathan in Misfits (who gets buried after "reawakening") or Captain Jack Harkness being covered in concrete.

If just living forever, never aging or getting ill but dying of unnatural causes, then I'd take that but I probably wouldn't live forever so not really answering the question.

Really in a practical sense. To live forever you would have to have invincibility and non aging, unless your conscience is being kept alive by something other than your body. Because otherwise you would just deteriorate until your body couldn't keep you alive.
Then I would just be some conscience floating about somewhere, unable to sense anything. Which I wouldn't take. Although it would be interesting to see my mindset after 1000 years of that.

If I got living forever and invincibility (or simply no deteriation of the body) of the body then I would have to weigh up the options of eventually getting in some horrible predicament, being bored of life etc. with the very heavy doing everything life has to offer. Living forever would also require me outliving the universe and if the universe have no end then neither do I.

I would probably take that deal though IF I keep memory loss and unconsciousness. If I'm forced to have perfect memory then I'll eventually play out every possibility and get bored. But with memory loss I can do it all over again and Long term unconsciousness would also be useful for hiding and eventually escaping some situations.

Of course there is some theories that suggest "aging" to the point your body is no longer producing cells as effectively etc. is a function your body tells itself to do so that you do eventually die. Upshot being people are born with an expiry date.

Tyrant Tar

Being immortal would mean you could wait out health problems (assuming you still age/don't naturally repair yourself indefinitely). Medicine will likely develop ways to correct whatever is failing on you... eventually.
Although physically you could adapt through the ages, I'm not sure how you'd do mentally or emotionally. Everything that exists eventually 'dies' in some fashion: your loved ones will die, your nation will fall, your planet will be destroyed, your species will go extinct. While I suppose you could "replace" most of those, having to go through the cycle again and again for all eternity will take a toll on you.

Of course, medicine may well find a "cure" for that, too. lobotoby

Breeder Drew

No. Think about it. You will eventually have no friends, family, wife, etc...

Immortality is one of those things that you think is good but is bad in the long run.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I think it all depends on how your life is and what your view on death is. I have had a great life so far, and would I want it to end? Eventually, yes. A lot of people are scared of death but I have a completely different view on it. Death intrigues me, so when it is my time, I'll gladly die. Everyone has different opinions on death and I think it's important to respect those because no opinion is right (in this matter). What happens after death cannot be proven.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
For eternity? No, I mean I wouldn't mind if I lived up to the age of 80 or even 100.

But to imagine every person I have met, every person who has shaped my life for the better or worse, all the church friends I have met, my family members, not to mention my future children. And grandchildren. And great grand children. And to watch your future generations age and die before you? To watch all of your partners become nothing more then a corpse?

I don't see why anyone would want to live forever. The song Forever Young has a point, there's no point in living forever when you will lose everyone, and then you just can't be bothered making new friends knowing they will die long before you do, if you ever.

Yeah I have thought about it many times. I got characters in my story who are immortals so I have written the same sort. Ellanore a five hundred year old souled vampire, Elizabeth an 110 year old immortal, Dana, Dani and Elle 105 year old good warlocks and some others, all of them having to suffer and watching their loved ones die long before they do.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
For eternity? No, I mean I wouldn't mind if I lived up to the age of 80 or even 100.

But to imagine every person I have met, every person who has shaped my life for the better or worse, all the church friends I have met, my family members, not to mention my future children. And grandchildren. And great grand children. And to watch your future generations age and die before you? To watch all of your partners become nothing more then a corpse?

I don't see why anyone would want to live forever. The song Forever Young has a point, there's no point in living forever when you will lose everyone, and then you just can't be bothered making new friends knowing they will die long before you do, if you ever.

Yeah I have thought about it many times. I got characters in my story who are immortals so I have written the same sort. Ellanore a five hundred year old souled vampire, Elizabeth an 110 year old immortal, Dana, Dani and Elle 105 year old good warlocks and some others, all of them having to suffer and watching their loved ones die long before they do.

GrassTypes.

If any of you have read Tuck Everlasting your argument would be rendered invalid.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
It would certainly give me loads of time to do so many things, but unless I had at least one other person with whom to live eternally with, I'd probably go insane, watching friends and relatives die before me.

Chaos Emperor

No hope.....
OF COURSE!

Sure people around me would die, but i can always get new friends and family.

And I have read Tuck Everlasting; i still think eternal life/youth is awesomesauce.

In fact, when I die, i would like to have my body preserved, in the hopes that one day, science evolves enough to bring people back to life and then give people eternal life.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

Imagine being an astronaut, doing space cartwheels for millions of years until you land in a supernova. In space. Yes!

I don't think immortality would be for me, but I can certainly understand the draw.

Athenas_Wrath

Sabrina's Apprentice
Nope.

Life without death is meaningless. The only reason anything we do in our life means anything is because we are spending what little time we have doing it. It shows what's truly important to a person. You only have so much life, so what you do with it matters (of course all this is excluding whatever after life or other spiritual beliefs one may have).

If I lived forever, then my life would have no meaning. What I spent my time on, or dedicated my life to wouldn't matter as it costs me nothing, I sacrifice little to nothing. If I spend most of my life volunteering now, that means something, if I spend lots of time volunteering and I lived forever, it would be meaningless as I'd have infinite time to do anything else I want.

FireTheAbsolLord

Bad Username
Well uh
To put it simply
I hate myself and hate the fact that every day I have to go to school, and I know in some way someone will act negatively towards me or I'll do something stupid since everyone I know is very judgemental. So every day I end up hating myself more.
And, to put it simply, I want to end my life, but I resist it because I'm a coward. Which is, in reality, a good thing.

So eternal pain? Yeahnothanks. :II

pikapikachiu

i wouldnt mind living for a long time as long as my body doesnt get too old and weak. it would be cool to see how society and things change over so many years and stuff. also i know its not living forever cuz you can always like find a way to vaporize yourself or something when you cant take it anymore.

Hox

Banned
If you have forever to live, then there's actually quite a high chance of that assuming we're talking about a theoretically infinite amount of time. I live far from any fault lines and I experienced an earthquake just a couple months ago. You never know.

Is there a single recorded incident of someone ever falling into a fault line? Simply because an earthquake happens doesn't mean you would get trapped in a fualt line, you would have to be close to the epicenter. When you consider how ofter earthquakes even happen, how often people are fall into fissures trapped never to be seen, and factor into the equation you can live somewhere safer, even given a theoretically infinite amount of time the chances are still virtually zero.

Edit: Tuck Everlasting was a stupid book.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Young forever: yes.
Live forever: yes, but only if I'm left with the option of killing myself if I ever change my mind.

DJ Pon-3

Elite DJ
I would love to live forever. I would make the best use of my time, and do just about everything I could imagine. Eventually when the sun dies out I'd just float through space like a boss until I wanted to settle down.