• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to live forever? Yes! Why wouldn't I?

The Director

Ancient Trainer
Pros to immortalty:
Nothing
Cons:
Too many to list, but I'll try
Everyone around you dying (it will pile up on you eventually)
The 100% chance of getting trapped forever
Your perception of time speeds up so fast you aren't aware of anything
The above leads to insanity
Do you really want front row seats to the apocolypse?

You would adapt to people dying. You'd probably become emotionally desensitized to it.

I can't argue against getting trapped but I can argue that eventually you'd be able to break yourself out.

Your perception of time would remain the same your brain will still react at the same speed as it does now. You'll just consider spaces of time differently much as people who study things like evolution and geology.

Apocalypse? Its not definite that the universe will end so why is this even mentioned.

Immortality is for those who look to the future. The past is dull I've been there, I'll take my lessons and forget it.

Would you say you dwell on the past?

Fun story from the Twilight Zone.

A hypercondriact makes a deal with the devil (for his soul cause thats the only thing devil seems interested in) for immortality.
But the contract includes an "escape clause" (name of the episode), basically guaranteeing death should he wish for it.
Over the next week he then goes about abusing his immortality by getting himself in danger at places e.g. throwing himself in front of a train, then suing the company responsible. But he's getting bored of this thrill so he tells his wif he's going to throw himself off the top of the tower of flats he lives in.
As she doesn't know he's immortal she tries to stop him and in the process slips and falls off herself. Slightly bemused and amused at this, the man calls the police and tells them he killed his wife, his plan being to try the electric chair. Unfortunately he gets a good lawyer that manages to get him off the death penalty and into jail for the rest of his life.
He then promptly activates his escape clause and dies.

pikapikachiu

Pros to immortalty:
Nothing
Cons:
Too many to list, but I'll try
Everyone around you dying (it will pile up on you eventually)
The 100% chance of getting trapped forever
Your perception of time speeds up so fast you aren't aware of anything
The above leads to insanity
Do you really want front row seats to the apocolypse?

wouldnt a pro be having time? you have infinite time to do anything and experience everything.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Theres already a show about this.. theres lotsa peeps already in the world. We live.. we die and let other peeps live. If we dont die.. we'll be all crowded and stuff.. o_O nya~

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
Theres already a show about this.. theres lotsa peeps already in the world. We live.. we die and let other peeps live. If we dont die.. we'll be all crowded and stuff.. o_O nya~

but its only you living forever. I doubt you alone would make the world crowded.

Ninterd

So, I just sat through yet another story where some character who was 'cursed' with immortality (youth included) explains to the protagonist how when you live forever, you have to deal with all the grief and pain of loss and outliving your loved ones and yada yada ya-we've-heard-it-all-already-a-thousand-times-da.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but spending a long time alive when people around you that you're close to die is something that starts happening, usually, around the age of 4. My grandparents have all passed away. I have aunts and uncles and cousins who are gone. Friends of mine died too young. Even my father died when I was only 23.

Were these losses tragic? Yes, of course. Did I cry and feel depressed for the weeks following each death? You better believe I did. But do I still carry that depression with me or have I moved on while still feeling a connection (your definition of 'connection' may vary) to them? I've moved on while finding a way to stay connected and have made new relationships with new people.

And I know I'm not the only one who's done this or the one who's had the worst loss. People remarry after their spouse dies. Some have children even after a son/daughter has passed. And they don't let the grief dominate their lives.

So my question to my fellow Serebiiers is thus: Why would you say 'no' to being young and alive forever?

I would certainly not want to live forever. I assume you mean that everyone live forever, and not just you. But still, no. It'd get boring honestly.

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
This disturbs me. I never want death of a loved one to have no impact on me, for me to just casually say "well, time to get a new one."

Ludwig would disagree with you

So in a million years, I've done everything I 've wanted to do...OH GOD THIS IS SO BORING WHAT ELSE CAN I DO

pikapikachiu

Ludwig would disagree with you

So in a million years, I've done everything I 've wanted to do...OH GOD THIS IS SO BORING WHAT ELSE CAN I DO

do stuff you dont want to do.

also if you do space travel, should take you a couple more billions years to do things

Skydra

Fun story from the Twilight Zone.

A hypercondriact makes a deal with the devil (for his soul cause thats the only thing devil seems interested in) for immortality.
But the contract includes an "escape clause" (name of the episode), basically guaranteeing death should he wish for it.
Over the next week he then goes about abusing his immortality by getting himself in danger at places e.g. throwing himself in front of a train, then suing the company responsible. But he's getting bored of this thrill so he tells his wif he's going to throw himself off the top of the tower of flats he lives in.
As she doesn't know he's immortal she tries to stop him and in the process slips and falls off herself. Slightly bemused and amused at this, the man calls the police and tells them he killed his wife, his plan being to try the electric chair. Unfortunately he gets a good lawyer that manages to get him off the death penalty and into jail for the rest of his life.
He then promptly activates his escape clause and dies.

Jail for life is actually something like 88 years, or so I've heard, so he could wait for that long and get out.

Ehh, I'm deathly afraid of death (pun intended). If there was a chance it wouldn't happen, I'd be elated in some ways. However, imagining not ending at all, instead of just not being there, is sometimes as difficult to think about.

First off, no, I think immortality gets boring to a point. You lived in your time and had your experiences. If I were to go in like 50 years or so and see what the world was like, and it was for the better, perhaps I would reconsider. But for now, I will live my life.

Zevn

Lost in Translation
My answer is no, my "why" is my extreme curiosity.

I wouldn't mind an extended lifespan though, there is still too much I do not know.

Victini01

♫Be Fearless♫
Hm... immortality...
Life would be boring because you just live on forever and ever.
I don't want to live forever. I want to see heaven and be reunited with my family. I believe they are up there waiting for me and I want to see them. I miss them a lot down here and one day, I hope I shall be able to meet my ancestors.

:494:

☭Secret_Shocker☭

I... don't know, I'm scrambling if I should like this or not, but I wished I'd be young forever!

Lineaire

It sounds like torture, living forever. X.x It reminds me of Albedo in Xenosaga.

rook09

Of science.
You would adapt to people dying. You'd probably become emotionally desensitized to it.

This is equally disturbing and yet true. It already exists in society, whether it is a psychopathic murderer or a government which commits war crimes. But to feel a lack of emotion towards death would be beyond comprehension for me. I wish there was a way of returning back to life out of your own choice when you die, but I guess it is better to die than always live. Think far, far into the future.

You would witness all your friends and family dying.
You would decay beyond thought.
You would lose your mind.
You would witness the death of all life on Earth when the Sun burns out.
You would be there when/if the Universe culminates in the Big Crunch (basically, imagine having the whole universe and yourself squeezed into an atom. Yeah. Not nice.)

I think it would be a horrific fate.
But that's just my opinion.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
It depends.. If I am a vampire or werewolf or something.. Could be neat.

But yes. As long as my youth is intact. It would be interesting to experience so many different historical events in the future.
Also, If I live forever, I might as well gain some knowledge and try to cure cancer or aids

G50

No longer posting
It would depend... Would I be able to change back to moral at some point? Would I suffer greatly from permenent pain from severe injuries?

If the answer is no to one and yes to two, then no way would I want to live forever.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Besides. They all just say they are immortal. you can still remove their heads!
Doesn't imortallity just mean that you can't die of old age?