• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to live forever? Yes! Why wouldn't I?

Nebbio

NINJA!
You would adapt to people dying. You'd probably become emotionally desensitized to it.

If immortality means becoming a robot then no thanks.

G50

No longer posting
It would also depend on whether I would age or not during Immortality, if I became very old then again the answer would be no.

daveshan

My little friend
The emotionally desensitized statement is probably a misnomer. More likely, you would be able to tolerate the pain better. It would take less time for you to once again smile and continue on without crying every time you remember them.

Gamer617

Master Trainer
Depends. WHAT ARE THE CONCQUENCES *Looks in suspision face

Shale

gtfo
I would not choose immortality. I personally think life would become as boring as hell with it. Even with eternal youth, it would kill me (not literally) to have any of my relatives die before me. I haven't had anyone but my uncle die, when I was two, so I haven't had much experience with a loved one dying. My great-great-whatever grandchildren would die before me, and I would probably want to huddle up in a corner waiting for the impossible to happen. To die.

11DBHK

Banned
ugh. no.

think about it; even if youth immortality and regeneration was a pckage deal, all your friends and relatives dying around you? and the mental strain plus, if the government ever cought onto you they'd wanna cut you open and do creepy experiments to figure out the source of your god-like abilty for their own purposes. that could be several lifetimes of torture.

miles0624

Wrath of Fire
I would only want to live to see the new advance from future generations. Also, it would be cool to say I saw the end of the world. However, I think death brings a relative peace, so even in Death, you may find life. (if that makes any sense whatsoever).

Hitokage2

Immortality? No. Quality of life is important. If you're blind, deaf, and paralyzed, would life be as enjoyable without the opportunity to escape? It seems more like torture to me.

Immortality with invincibility, a great quality of life, or youth would be more tempting, but it would still be isolating and lonely. Your friends and family will die before you; although you can find new friends, it would be tough fitting in unless you keep up with trends. No one wants to befriend a person who's been around with the dinosaurs, speaks caveman language, and doesn't know anything about technology or entertainment. Languages and interests change with time. As your friends age, you're stuck in a perpetual youth will probably develop different interests. Once people find out that you're immortal, you might be an outcast and ostracized. Not everyone is responsive to unique, supernatural abilities. I don't want to be burned at the stake like they did to the supposed witches back in the day. I guess you could move around and change your identity, but a nomadic life is still isolating. Either way, I think it would be a lonely life.

Vodka Haze

No. I would like to see how humanity and science have developed in the future, but I wouldn't want to live forever. Think about it. When the Big Crunch happens, the Universe will grow cold and dark and eventually end. So I wouldn't want to, simply because it would probably lead to a huge amount of pain and suffering, and I wouldn't want to experience absolute zero.

3D992

The Living Hologram
I do not wish to live on earth forever. I am a divout Christian so I will die and go to Heaven to live forever. Otherwise I would like to live forever as there are tons of people to meet, books to read, games to play, and movies to watch!

pkmnfn

DW Breeder
Immortality? No. Quality of life is important. If you're blind, deaf, and paralyzed, would life be as enjoyable without the opportunity to escape? It seems more like torture to me.

Immortality with invincibility, a great quality of life, or youth would be more tempting, but it would still be isolating and lonely. Your friends and family will die before you; although you can find new friends, it would be tough fitting in unless you keep up with trends. No one wants to befriend a person who's been around with the dinosaurs, speaks caveman language, and doesn't know anything about technology or entertainment. Languages and interests change with time. As your friends age, you're stuck in a perpetual youth will probably develop different interests. Once people find out that you're immortal, you might be an outcast and ostracized. Not everyone is responsive to unique, supernatural abilities. I don't want to be burned at the stake like they did to the supposed witches back in the day. I guess you could move around and change your identity, but a nomadic life is still isolating. Either way, I think it would be a lonely life.

I was going to rant on this, but this is so true and covers pretty much everything I wanted to say.

Being immortal would give you great experiences, but what about when the world ends? You may argue that it won't, but... someday, it has to :p

you would be living through wars, famines, droughts, poverty, injury, pain, and the loss of those you loved. Is that really what you want?

VS

they/she
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
No, but if I could cancel it I'm trapped yea

Angeltripper

♥ Ace ♥
3 problems with being immortal

1. watching yur family die
2. you can be tortured for lie without have the torturers to worry
3. if everyone was immortal...earth would be filled in 6 months flat

Byzantine

Live forever? Bad idea, as you will figure in the second or third millennia, maybe longer depending. But regardless, living forever is not a good idea.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

Live forever? Bad idea, as you will figure in the second or third millennia, maybe longer depending. But regardless, living forever is not a good idea.

Reasons? You haven't lived 3,000 years to tell us otherwise.

One could just as easily argue that it'd be amazing coming from a mostly nomadic world in the tenth century B.C. to the crazy technology and the like that we have today and watching as everything develops and passes by.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
I wouldn't want to live forever. Outliving all my friends, and family, and going through all kinds of pain would drive me insane eventually. Sure, I'm curious about the future, but once I die, the future won't really matter anymore.

Byzantine

You think you could stand losing everyone you ever cared about, knowing that everyone you ever do care about will be lost - in what is a blink of an eye to you, watching countless civilizations rise and fall, the very world you grew up on destroyed, the universe slowly coming to its end, and not regret being immortal by the end of it?

waffle_x_v

Fun stuff
Why is this in the debate forum? I thought it was state your opinion, discuss, move on. That's what this thread looks like anyway...