• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to live forever? Yes! Why wouldn't I?

flyer1228

Novice Shiny Hunter
Having ever lasting life can be a good thing as well as a bad thing. Why watch as people you love and care for slip away to death? Why watch the world slowly kill the planet? To live forever is an amazing idea in sound, but not in life. Living forever defies the laws of nature and isn't right. Would it be awesome to live forever without considering those facts? Yes.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
Okay, new direction.

If you WERE immortal, what would you do with all your time?

Just to be clear. No aging or degradation of any kind. You can still sleep but you can't be knocked out (unconcious). You didn't choose to be immortal it just happened and you can't get rid of it.

I'd probably spend my time, recording as much as possible, hanging out with as many people as possible and stocking up a personal bunker which would include its own farm for renewable resources.

So basically what I do on Minecraft.

Chili

Hard to say. I love all my friends and family and if they grow old and die. I would feel sad and lonely. But if all of us could..... Then ya. It would be cool. Like this. Criminal: "Flamethrower!" Me: Walks right through it without a scratch* "Sucker!"

Zevn

Lost in Translation
Okay, new direction.

If you WERE immortal, what would you do with all your time?

Just to be clear. No aging or degradation of any kind. You can still sleep but you can't be knocked out (unconcious). You didn't choose to be immortal it just happened and you can't get rid of it.

I'd probably spend my time, recording as much as possible, hanging out with as many people as possible and stocking up a personal bunker which would include its own farm for renewable resources.

So basically what I do on Minecraft.

Would you be able to put yourself into hibernation, like; when the sun dies could you have frozen yourself in a tube and launched yourself into space in the hopes of being found?

The Director

Ancient Trainer
Would you be able to put yourself into hibernation, like; when the sun dies could you have frozen yourself in a tube and launched yourself into space in the hopes of being found?

No, in that event you would have to find some way of entertaining yourself. For a LONG time.

charmanderkesryl

I don't wanna live forever. I'm sure I'll get sick and tired of my surroundings if I had explored them many times already. Your life will become boring for living in Earth for too long. Besides if people knew you had lived in Earth for a long time they will bother you a lot asking you how's that possible or they will accuse you that you are a devil or something like that.

Ludger

スポック
Wouldn't you be able to do everything because you're immortal?
Not exactly. We need death coz we need motivation. No dead - No motivation. Statistically people want to do more coz if they are near death situation, they can't do anything after they died
Alright I cant deny we cant get better motivation than this. But I think Death is a reminding that we can do better in our live. Isn't this why we created, to create a better world. Allright I might be a little....not so little naive with that such statement. But I think thats the truth

Last edited:

UnovaMaster

You are either living or you are dead. I know this might be a shocking answer but I kinda don't want to rot in the damn ground for all of eternity. So bring on the immortality.

Vernikova

Champion
Not exactly. We need death coz we need motivation. No dead - No motivation. Statistically people want to do more coz if they are near death situation, they can't do anything after they died

You took my response out of context.

Still, I do not believe that death is necessary for motivation. Sure people are motivated more when they feel that they're near death but that doesn't mean that they have no other motivation outside of that.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
My first impulse would be to say yes, however there are plenty of terrible implications both for me, and the rest of the universe if I truly got my wish.

Terrible Implications Affecting Me

Life would begin to feel futile and pointless, as you'd repeatedly make friends, see them die, make new ones, see them die, etc, etc. Looking back through history, one can see many patterns in the human race, and if you lived a sufficiently long time, life would get fairly boring. Oh sure, there may be period of great excitement, but since we're talking about living forever, those periods would be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

The Earth will not last forever. It will inevitably be destroyed, rendered desolate, etc, in one of the inevitable disasters that regularly occur (be them Gamma-Ray bursts, Sun collapsing/going Supernova, Asteroids, etc). So that leaves out chilling with the rest of humanity. Even bigger than just the Earth being destroyed, it is fairly likely that the Universe will collapse, expand too much, tear itself apart, or any number of the theories hypothesizing it's demise. Assuming you literally cannot die, can you imaging any fate worse than floating in a void FOREVER. Since your powers only include living forever, you would have no hope of ever escaping. And in such a circumstance, forever literally means forever. Never ending. Even death (assuming death means termination of consciousness), sounds better. Which brings me to my third point:

With the power of living forever, you would not be able to die, even if you wanted too. Although this may not seem so bad, consider the fact that in any bad situation, humans always have a guaranteed escape: death. Been abducted by a serial killer intent on torturing you? At least it can't last forever. Removing death potentially puts you in situations in which you would literally have no escape (such as the previously mentioned void thing). No hope, no nothing. You are literally screwed.

Many people would fear, envy, or desire to manipulate me because of my ability to live forever. Imagine the combination of a big-time celebrity (i.e Brad Pitt), whose doubtlessly the target of many scams, cons, etc, and an all-powerful dictator. I would either be a target for people who believe I could bestow upon them my powers (or to use me to generate wealth), or I would be feared because of my inability to die. Possibly both.

Terrible Implications Affecting Everything

The power of living forever is an immense one. It would make you literally unstoppable. You would essentially be a god. I don't think anyone, myself included, should have limitless power. While I don't subscribe to the saying "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" (it provides no reason why it allegedly ALWAYS does :p ), I can safely say I believe there is no way for me, or anyone else to know without a doubt, how to wield such a power. And even if they did, should they wield it?

Unless I abstained from raising families (as in, reproducing), or only allowed myself to have a family a couple of times (which would pretty much be the same as saying "No families", to an immortal being), I could corrupt the Human race's gene-pool. Since I would obviously be invulnerable to damage from radiation and other DNA corrupting things, my DNA would remain exactly the same forever. As such, if I had sufficient children, my genes could become the dominant ones in the gene pool, which means making genetic diseases that I doubtlessly have recessively stored in my DNA, common. Perhaps I have a gene that causes Alzheimers, though in my case it's recessive and doesn't effect me. If I passed that gene on a sufficient number of times (we are talking in the thousands, but remember, such a number would be a paltry sum to an immortal being), it could become common in everyone's DNA, as my children reproduced, and their children, etc, etc. Not to mention the fact, that eventually, most of the population would in some way be my descendant, which is kind of nasty if I were to keep on having more and more families :( .

Last edited:

Moog2

Must stay awake...
Hell no. I couldn't stand to watch everyone and everything I'd ever loved grow old and die. I wouldn't want to be forced to live through all of the world's pain and suffering without any hope of escape. It's like being trapped without any means of getting out forever. Eventually, everything will come to an end. Except you. Eventually you'd be all alone in a universe of nothing, forever. Eternally. That would be a living hell. Also, if I couldn't die, the pain I'd end up suffering wouldn't be worth bearing. Death is the only assured escape in the world, and as morbid as it sounds, it's welcomed at a certain point. At the point that I didn't wish to live any more, when I had nothing left to live for, I would want a release. Death does that. I think living forever may be the worst torture one could inflict. So, no. I'll have to decline the offer.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I feel the need to link this article. It provides some points as to why immortality would suck. Think about what would happen if falling off a cliff didn't kill you. You would sit at the bottom of the cliff, potentially badly injured, for all of eternity. There would be no way out. When compared to that, death sounds absolutely lovely.