• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to see a different combination of starting pokemon types in the future

wildlifericky

Icemaster
This was a big question going around once! Personally i wouldnt mind this even if the strated trio didnt balance each other out e.g. Water>Fire Fire>Grass Grass>Water!

Id like it so u could choose any type of pokemon u wish to start with! however if not i think Fighting, Psychic or Dark would be good starters!

Vashperado_S

~+ Sound Trainer~+
ive actually thought of this, but in the anime and manga, the characters do not always start with starter pokemon... for instance, red i think his name was started with poliwag, and later got bulbasaur, and yellow doesnt even have a starter pokemon, just dodou raticate and pikachu which is reds.... but they should maybe make multiple 'starters' and multiple 'rivals', each having a different type... and maybe change the story a little, instead of the usual get pokemon->fight gym leaders-> battle evil team people->Elite 4->anything else, maybe they should make it like the manga and make it a little different, with perspectives from each trainer/rival... but look at this, i wrote alot.... thats what happens when i start thinking -_-

~Goth~

~Dark Trainer~
I think fighting psychic & dark would be cool

I can't find other combinations*_________________*

Dark Arceus

Worst. Name. Ever.
The reason this was going around a while ago and not now was people got bored of answering it. The Psychic/Fighting/Dark type wouldn't be fair anyways, because psychic has NO EFFECT on Dark instead of just being not very effective, so no, they should stay the same.

palkia1

Palkia Lover
No, i think they should stay exactly the same. The starters are awesome in their current type situation, and its a nice balanced type traingle, rather then dark/fighting/psychic which absolutely sucks so much. Seriously, the only good combination would be fire/grass/water and its the only one that would work with starter Pokemon. Just leave it as is in my opinion. Like i say on this topic, if it ain't broke don't fix it. That applies so much to this

runka

Charizard pwns it!
Maybe they should get
rock/bug/grass?

??????

That guy.
The only combinations that work are

Water/Fire/Grass
Rock/Flying/Fighting
Grass/Poison/Ground

All others are flawed. And the former two I mentioned are not good.

Mario-Sonic

Former NSider
Fire, Water, and Grass pretty much works the best. Dual typings can be used though (Venusaur had Grass/Poison; Swampert had Water/Ground).

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I think fighting psychic & dark would be cool

don't like it. not completely equal. one's an immunity.

PDL

disenchanted
As I've posted many times before, they won't change the basic type triangle of Grass/Fire/Water because it introduces the complicated concept of type match-ups to people who have never played the game before.

It's easy for new people to understand how one type beats another other with these types. It's not that easy explaining how psychics beat fighting types or how dark types beat psychics to someone who has never played Pokémon before.

Besides, there's already plenty of variablity with the current type triangle.

Profesco

gone gently
There's nothing wrong with the current setup, but it may be interesting to have a new starter. The Dark/Psychic/Fighting thing would surely have a different feel to it.

runka

Charizard pwns it!
The only combinations that work are

Water/Fire/Grass
Rock/Flying/Fighting
Grass/Poison/Ground

All others are flawed. And the former two I mentioned are not good.

Rock defeats bug,which defeats grass which defeats Rock.That works too.

palkia1

Palkia Lover
There's nothing wrong with the current setup, but it may be interesting to have a new starter. The Dark/Psychic/Fighting thing would surely have a different feel to it.

I don't think it even needs a different feel. It feels fine just now. It's an awesome, basic setup that really works. No other combination of three types that are super effective, then not very effective in a triangle would ever replace the classic fire,water,grass one. I would hate it if they changed it.

WhyteMage

I'm pretty sure rock, fighting and flying work. But I'm quite happy just seeing odd daul-type combinations rather than changing the fire/water/grass combination with have currently.

??????

That guy.
Rock defeats bug,which defeats grass which defeats Rock.That works too.
Rock has no resistance to bug.
Grass has no resistance to rock.

Your logic is flawed, Runka.

Frozir

F-f-freezing... NOT
I'm just gonna say that the fire-water-grass circle is and will always be the only starter combination that makes sense. Grass absorbs water, water extinguishes fire, and fire burns grass. This, we all knows it.

Try teaching the little boy next door about the Psychic/Fighting/Dark combination, and you'll see what I mean.

Praetor

Psephophthalmus artu
not so much new type combos as an expanded list from which to choose.

aerisLana

i cannot believe
I can't think of anything >_<. I thought Flying/Dark/Fighting would be good, but Flying Pokemon are not weak against Dark Pokemon, so that's unfair. I'm also thinking Ice/Steel/Dragon, but that's not acceptable too, that's for sure.

Meh, just stick with Grass/Fire/Water for me... ._.