• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to see Contest again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcySealeo

I would love to see contests return. It gave more screentime to the coordinator's Pokemon and it was really fun to watch.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
They didn't have to go to extreme with Dawn like they did but you have to remember that in DP, Dawn was the only new game character that was going to be on the show at that time, so she needed to find a way to stand out from May even though she was still doing contests as well. Back in AG, Ash was alone without Misty or Brock for the first time in a long while plus there was Max and tons of Misty haters. So they didn't want to rub May too much into people's faces at first. This is one reason why I liked May because she wasn't too over the top. However contests were good because it finally gave the girl something pokerelated to do than to sit there. I don't care if we get contests back but we should get some sort of competition so that the girl will have something to do for her sake.

Agreed. As long as there is a competition that care is related to Pokemon and doesn't necessarily involve battles I'll be fine too. The Contests involved about using moves in different ways than the classic way (ergo, attack to damage or disrupt the foe), so something like that is welcome in my book.

Janovy

Banned
Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes! DP wouldn't have been as good without Dawn's contest arc, they were really fun to watch.

pokemon fan 132

However contests were good because it finally gave the girl something pokerelated to do than to sit there. I don't care if we get contests back but we should get some sort of competition so that the girl will have something to do for her sake.

And Misty or Iris never did anything? Just because they didn't entered competitions on daily basis doesn't mean they did nothing seeing them battle, use pokemon, contribute to resolution of plot in episodes, bring humor and good interactions in cast along with getting focus and growth.

Speaking of contests, now that i think about it i would be interested in seeing Cilan compete in one of them to try it out. But its obviously too late by now.

Squirtle_007

If they are like they were in Advanced Generation, then I´s say yes, May and her gang ROCKED, and contests were more attack oriented than flashy crap ... the only good thing about DP contests was Ursula.

I disagree with those who says Misty and Iris didn´t do anything, Misty got TONS of Water-type Pokémon (apart from Togepi and Azurill) and entered in Water-type competitions, and Iris even feels like a main character with all the development she has had by now, it feels like Ash´s and Iris´s journey (that is one of the things that annoys Ashliebers)

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I hope we get some sort of new sidequest, if contests don't come back. I would love to see the new girl or even possibly Cilan, if he stays, participate in some quest so that Ash's quest doesn't get all spotlight.

p96822

Evolve me please
I like Iris stroy over the contest girls. It gave her more charter devolvment then the other girls

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I enjoyed contests to their finest, and seeing Cilan compete in them does seem appropriate. If he does stay on the show, I wouldn't mind seeing him perform in contests. If they're in the anime anyway. Guess we'll see. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't if they're not in the Gen 6 games.

I am Lu

Except that we could have a male coordinator...

We have had male coordinators before, though. Drew, Harley, Kenny... though none of them were traveling companions, they were all major forces within contests. So, it honestly doesn't matter to me whether the next coordinator traveling companion (if we have one) is female or male.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Yes if Cilan is the one who takes them up to improve his Connoisseur skills.
The new girl can always do something different like having a goal of being a Pokemon Professor or something.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
If Contest return, I prefer that Cilan or a new boy will take that role. Because I don't like a third girl doing Contests.

But if they consider doing Contests again, I prefer Dawn going into Ash gain, explain why she want to return to Ash (although could be a ridiculous reason, fly to Poke-France and voila...).

Why? Because I like Dawn. But because:
-In the Best Wishes merchandise (I was right, BW merchandise) Piplup has gotten in the fall-winter, the 5th pokemon in merchandise appearances having a way lot of more appareances than Axew. THe only pokemon that has gotten so much are Kyurem FOrmes, Oshawott, Eevee and of course, Pikachu. (Axew is around the 20th on merch behind pokes like Snivy, Emolga, Dragonite and now behind Charizard..., if you think that Axew is too marketable, you're wrong). The first person that will be happy if Dawn returned permanently will be Takara Tomy, Bandai and Banpresto headquarters in Japan.

-TV Tokyo, CoroCoro, magazines, intended that Dawn was returning to the main cast. If you see the promotion of Season 2 you know why. Remember that "poster" and that character pages each time we looked in pokemon.co.jp last summer.

If the Pokemon Contest really return, why not bring back a character that was popular at the time and that the audience knows because she had make an appareance 1 year ago? It's true that she promotes DP and that her Piplup is a starter for DP, but I prefer bring back a popular character with a very proven marketable pokemon than a unknown character with an unknown pokemon doing the same role.

I don't think that this will be happen but who knows. THe anime is getting rare recently (trust me) and the companies need to get the 120% of merch now.

NOOOO! never ! contest only make more fillers.. and less true battles, Iris is ok xD but i think will appear another girl.. please cillan go away..

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Yes, I would. Considering this is the only way the stupid writers know how to develop the female/male character yes I would.

BlueVapor

Agreed, I would like to see contests return. imo, I always enjoyed watching them over Ash's gyms, perhaps this time a boy on the main cast can compete instead.

I thought the contests were cool, so yeah I would like to seem them return along with poffin making. (oh! and there ARE male coordinators, kids! Girls are just better at it)

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Contest were interesting, they brought out a better form of development for the heroin and it gave us battles that weren't gym related. Either generation of Contest work for me because it just adds flare to the show

If Contest return, I prefer that Cilan or a new boy will take that role. Because I don't like a third girl doing Contests.

But if they consider doing Contests again, I prefer Dawn going into Ash gain, explain why she want to return to Ash (although could be a ridiculous reason, fly to Poke-France and voila...).

Why? Because I like Dawn. But because:
-In the Best Wishes merchandise (I was right, BW merchandise) Piplup has gotten in the fall-winter, the 5th pokemon in merchandise appearances having a way lot of more appareances than Axew. THe only pokemon that has gotten so much are Kyurem FOrmes, Oshawott, Eevee and of course, Pikachu. (Axew is around the 20th on merch behind pokes like Snivy, Emolga, Dragonite and now behind Charizard..., if you think that Axew is too marketable, you're wrong). The first person that will be happy if Dawn returned permanently will be Takara Tomy, Bandai and Banpresto headquarters in Japan.

-TV Tokyo, CoroCoro, magazines, intended that Dawn was returning to the main cast. If you see the promotion of Season 2 you know why. Remember that "poster" and that character pages each time we looked in pokemon.co.jp last summer.

If the Pokemon Contest really return, why not bring back a character that was popular at the time and that the audience knows because she had make an appareance 1 year ago? It's true that she promotes DP and that her Piplup is a starter for DP, but I prefer bring back a popular character with a very proven marketable pokemon than a unknown character with an unknown pokemon doing the same role.

I don't think that this will be happen but who knows. THe anime is getting rare recently (trust me) and the companies need to get the 120% of merch now.

Your stats are right but your deductions are wrong. Most people don't give a **** about Dawn, it is Piplup who is famous. They don't need Dawn back, they just need to give another character a Piplup, thats it. No point in bringing those type of characters back, they are so last generation.

On Topic: I don't care about Contest. They got stale in DP and had to be removed. Replanting them in the series would be stupidity. Maybe contests were too illogical for kids of Japan.

I don't care about these side quests for companions anymore. Writers have proved that they can handle the companion without putting too much efforts in these side quests. They gave us Iris who has developed just as much as Dawn. She was a nice battler when BW started and by the end of BW2 she has become the best battler among all traveling companions. Excadrill vs Haxorus proves how much she has developed. It is safe to say that Ash is no longer the only main character who can use strategies in Anime. Thats quite a feat. And Cilan is Cilan, he has got a huge fanbase which sets an example that a character don't need an active quest to become famous.

Status
Not open for further replies.