• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to see Gym Trials have a bigger role in the anime in the future?

Would you like to see Gym Trials have a bigger role in the anime for the future?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No.

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
One thing I always liked about Pokemon Adventures is how it almost never holds back when trying to adapt the games, including the gym trials which feature some of the most quirky shocking and fun moments of the Pokemon series whenever a challenger takes on the Pokemon League. The Pokemon Anime doesn't really adapt the games Gym Trials but we have seem a glimpses of it through Cyllage's Gym where Ash gets the option of either taking the elevator or rock-climbing to the battle stage. It is one of the few times we ever see an actual Gym trial take place in the anime and it's a fun aesthetic design here. How does this compare to Pokemon Adventures take?

250px-Cyllage_Gym_interior_anime.png

Grant's Cyllage Gym.

To give a few examples of how Adventures did it's take...

xYhcLnr.png

Volkner's Sunyshore Gym

ZYbUypJ.png

Skyla's Mistraltron Gym

However Pokemon Adventures isn't actually the only one to do an awesome take on the Gym Trials featured in the games. Believe it or not, even though it's just a glimpse, we see a Gym trial done through the Pokemon BW2 Animated Promotional Trailer.

V98L7GU.png

Elesa's Nimbasa Gym

And these are just the Gym trials based on the game canon. If were going through anime canon however, the Orange Island League puts a bit more emphasis on the Gym trials heavily featured in the games, the most popular one among fans being the ice bobsledding challenge!

EP093.png

Danny's Navel Island Gym.

With that being said, there's a lot of fun and exciting potential to tap into here. Would you like to see Gym Trials have a bigger role in the anime for the future?

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Would love to see gym leaders like volkner, sabrina, valerie, clair have a big role. Especially kanto gym leaders since they were badly screwed in OS fast pace and weren't given chance in BW during kanto remake. Clair had a role with iris and her dragon master training in that special episode.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
Oh yeah! It's way more entertaining than just watching a battle. It's something interesting to watch and look forward to. Also if they're creative with their puzzles and put a lot of effort into making them fun and entertaining then I'm all for it!

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Would love to see gym leaders like volkner, sabrina, valerie, clair have a big role. Especially kanto gym leaders since they were badly screwed in OS fast pace and weren't given chance in BW during kanto remake. Clair had a role with iris and her dragon master training in that special episode.
I think you misunderstood. He's talking about the stuff you have to do in a gym in the games before facing the leader. He's not talking about times when gym leaders appear after their gym (although I agree that would be cool too). I'm not sure if you read OP or not or just the thread topic title.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Oh yeah! It's way more entertaining than just watching a battle. It's something interesting to watch and look forward to. Also if they creative with their puzzles and put a lot of effort into making them fun and entertaining then I'm all for it!
Me too. It would be a shame if they just go back to how the gyms worked before SM as I felt that that formula has run its course for far too long now.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
Me too. It would be a shame if they just go back to how the gyms worked before SM as I felt that that formula has run its course for far too long now.

Yeah, sometimes in the gym episodes I get really bored and just skip ahead to the battle since I just want to get the episode over with, which is awful for Gym Battle episodes, which are supposed to be very significant episodes in the plot.

Would love to see gym leaders like volkner, sabrina, valerie, clair have a big role

I wish all of the Gym Leaders were featured more and had more personality, like in Pokemon Adventures (and to a lesser extend BW2) where the Gym Leaders play a key part in the story.

EP093.png

Danny's Navel Island Gym.

With that being said, there's a lot of fun and exciting potential to tap into here.

One thing that I do like about the Orange Island episodes is the trials that Ash had to go through before he could actually challenge the Gym Leader (they seem like the precursors to the Trials you have to do before the Totem battles in the SM Games) and is the sort of thing that I want the anime to do with gym battles.

Also look at that Poll! That yes is winning by a landslide so far!

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I'd really like to see Gym Trials have a bigger, or any, role in the animé in the future. I think that it would be great to show that a Pokémon Trainer needs to do more than just be good at battling. They need to have problem solving skills where they may not be able to rely on their Pokémon, or in other cases, choosing the right Pokémon or type of Pokémon could make a trial easier or doable.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
they seem like the precursors to the Trials you have to do before the Totem battles in the SM Games

to be honest with you, I wouldn't be surprised if the SM games directly took some inspiration from the OI anime. The Crystal Onix might have been the inspiration for the concept of Alolan formes, the idea of having four gyms on four separate islands might have been the inspiration for the four Grand Trials, and the stuff Ash had to do before the battle at the OI gyms might have been the inspiration for regular trials.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I think you misunderstood. He's talking about the stuff you have to do in a gym in the games before facing the leader. He's not talking about times when gym leaders appear after their gym (although I agree that would be cool too). I'm not sure if you read OP or not or just the thread topic title.

No i get that the gym leaders like volkner who had an interesting backstory with flint and that poacher, and sabrina who had special telekonesis powers, if anime ever do ash's aura powers vs sabrina's telekonesis powers. Clair got a role in iris dragon master training in that special. That's what i meant.

I think this is where both DP and XY series did well, before that in every regions the gym leaders main role was to introduce themselves before ash and then have a battle and that's it, these two series gave gym leaders little more screentime and did show there different personalities.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Started watching Best Wishes and it seems to a degree, they sort of add Gym Trials at least from the first two gyms I've seen. In the Best Wishes anime the first two gyms are not like your usual past gym training facilities but are also part cafe and part library. The cafe one doesn't technically have a Gym Trial, unless you count choosing your opponent as one but the library one sort of does, more specifically how Lenora tests a trainer's personality by asking them which book to get. I thought it was pretty interesting how depending on how they react and what book they chose, Lenora has them figured out. Ash immediately went for the book that Lenora chose for him and she determined that he was impatient and full of energy.

So I guess my question is after the third gym, the third gym doesn't have a Gym Trial, are there other Gym trials afterwards in Best Wishes like Lenora's?

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Unless gen 8 changes things a good amount of gym trials aren't that impressive, rather boring actually. I'd rather see the gym battle get as much focus as possible.

It would be cool though if gen 8 adapts the actual trial part of Trials, making you do tasks before getting to face the gym leader, and gym trainers are still a thing in-game instead of being completely absent. Mixing the two together to create a new experience!
If that happened though; I'd want every gym after the first to be a two parter as to not feel rushed, unlike Totems you're facing more than one Pokemon

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Yes and my Pokemon anime au story has that and os gyms battle closer to the classic pocket monsters game which ash himself would have battle all gym trainers before he can bettle gym leader itself .

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Started watching Best Wishes and it seems to a degree, they sort of add Gym Trials at least from the first two gyms I've seen. In the Best Wishes anime the first two gyms are not like your usual past gym training facilities but are also part cafe and part library. The cafe one doesn't technically have a Gym Trial, unless you count choosing your opponent as one but the library one sort of does, more specifically how Lenora tests a trainer's personality by asking them which book to get. I thought it was pretty interesting how depending on how they react and what book they chose, Lenora has them figured out. Ash immediately went for the book that Lenora chose for him and she determined that he was impatient and full of energy.

So I guess my question is after the third gym, the third gym doesn't have a Gym Trial, are there other Gym trials afterwards in Best Wishes like Lenora's?
The fifth and sixth gyms have trials.