• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to see Kusaka, writer of PKMN Adventures, do his own spin on Ash & Co for the anime?

Would you like to see Kusaka, the writer of Pokemon Adventures, do his own spin on Ash & Co?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • No.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So if your not a huge reader of Kusaka's work, Pokemon Adventures, then you may not know that many Pokemon Adventure fans see him as a pretty great storyteller when it comes to cleverly implementing and finding loopholes around Pokemon's combat system and lore, such as expanding Pokedex Entries (like Dusknoir's Black Hole or Mudkip's fin acting as a living radar), while also planning ten steps ahead of a story arc that makes you look back at not just early in a story arc but even past story arcs thinking, "KUSAKA! YOU MAD GENIUS!"

In fact, he's such a good writer that unlike the anime, many fans of Pokemon Adventures analyze his patterns in telling twists, storytelling and making connections to even the smallest of details from the games to get a good idea where he's going at with a current story or even a possible future story arc he's planning to save for a particular game in the future. In fact just recently, some fans have shockingly guessed that Kusaka might make use of the seemingly minor detail in the games of Anabelle being founded 10 years ago by Looker of the International Police as a way of determining Red's possible age of being exactly 30 years old. This is the sort of deep analysis of storytelling and game connections that you don't really see anime fans doing a lot for the anime other than the plain obvious, such as Ash possibly never winning a league. In fact there's one fan theory that Kusaka has planned the Gold, SIlver and Crystal storyline, or at least an outline of some ideas to be used for a future game, way back in Generation 1. To Adventure fans, you may be thinking the finale of the RGB story arc featuring the Pokemon League but for some fans, it may go way back to the subtle fact that a certain character's team have no bird Pokemon, which means he could've planned the most popular Adventures story arc as far back as the second volume of Pokemon Adventures which is pretty crazy and is not that far off if you think about it since Kusaka is insanely absurd, in a good way, at researching the Pokemon series, including it's pre-release days. For example, Red's first Pokemon, Poliwrath, is an obvious reference to Satoshi's, the creator of Pokemon, favorite Gen 1 Pokemon, Poliwag. However a lot of Pokemon fans also pointed out that he's only a great writer for the Pokemon series, not a great writer of manga in general often using the original RGB arc as an example. I disagree with this fact as you can easily tell that his writing and storytelling skills have evolved quite a lot from the episodic take of the limited Gen 1 arc to the immensely large breakout story arc of Gen 2 where he does the gargantuan task of telling nearly every story of every single character from the Pokemon Gold and Silver games through a continuous non-episodic format.

That being said, there really aren't a lot of cons of Kusaka doing his own take on Ash & Co. for the anime except for the fact that Kusaka may delay the Adventures manga for the anime since he's part of a one-man writing crew for the most part. You could say that he'd make Ash & Co. "dark and edgy" but let's be honest here. Anyone who reads this light-hearted but more mature manga full of friendship and hope past the first story arc knows that's obviously a load of bullshit. In fact, honestly the only real problem I can see if the higher-ups at the Pokemon Company or at Nintendo interfere with whatever amazing story arc Kusaka could hatch up for Ash & Co. Other than that, I don't really think it's that difficult for Kusaka to easily top the XYZ story arc that's often hailed as the best by fans.

So what do you think? Would you like the experienced story-teller to take a shot at Ash & Co. Are you intrigued by it? Do you not like the idea? If you don't like it, please explain your thoughts below?

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I don't think making something like that is a good idea due to how many versions of Ash/ co are out there among other things clogging everything up. (Do we need a repeat of BW2?)

I can picture making the plot of the gen 1 and 2 Manga into an anime due to how it threw everything off the rails compared to the games. (Which those games had a non existent plot.) But otherwise, Kusaka should stick to what he excels at... the Manga.

shoz999

I don't think making something like that is a good idea due to how many versions of Ash/ co are out there among other things clogging everything up. (Do we need a repeat of BW2?)

I can picture making the plot of the gen 1 and 2 Manga into an anime due to how it threw everything off the rails compared to the games. (Which those games had a non existent plot.) But otherwise, Kusaka should stick to what he excels at... the Manga.
Took me a while at understanding what your trying to say. Your trying to say Kusaka has a very very tight schedule because of the ongoing BW2 arc alongside the SM arc lol. Yeah, he has a lot on his shoulders right now doesn't he? However let's say that wasn't the case, would you be interested? I wouldn't be surprised if his take was faithful to the child-hearted nature of the anime while also trying to create a sense of progression and shocking foreshadowing right at the very first episode! That would be freaking insane. You know what would be even more insane? He successfully convince the higher-ups, out of a sense of progression and maybe increase in viewership, that Ash should turn 11, the actual starting age for trainers in the games! Actually that last one, although possible, is a bit farftech'd to do even for Kusaka.

Last edited:

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
My only question is what is even happening in the BW2 arc? What happened to nate?

shoz999

My only question is what is even happening in the BW2 arc? What happened to nate?
BW2 story arc is being released slowly because of a tight schedule and the fast releases of Pokemon games recently. Also this isn't the anime or based on an expansion. Black and White 2 games are especially unique as they are not really expansions but true sequels with new characters and a storyline. As for the fate of Nate and Rosa... SPOILERS IF YOU DARE.
Their in the Abyssal Ruins.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Took me a while at understanding what your trying to say. Your trying to say Kusaka has a very very tight schedule because of the ongoing BW2 arc alongside the SM arc lol. Yeah, he has a lot on his shoulders right now doesn't he? However let's say that wasn't the case, would you be interested? I wouldn't be surprised if his take was faithful to the child-hearted nature of the anime while also trying to create a sense of progression and shocking foreshadowing right at the very first episode! That would be freaking insane. You know what would be even more insane? He successfully convince the higher-ups, out of a sense of progression and maybe increase in viewership, that Ash should turn 11, the actual starting age for trainers in the games! Actually that last one, although possible, is a bit farftech'd to do even for Kusaka.

That isn't exactly what I was saying at all. Ash as of his long run, has been in the hands of quite a few writers in regards to his adventures in Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and lately Alola.

We are starting from the ground up if he does this and it would be a complete pain to adapt all of that into a manga series as of now. So long as pokemon as a video game series keeps expanding and evolving, so does the manga if it has any hope of keeping up.

If you suggest he does just the OS... a manga version of that already exist, it is called the Electric Tale of Pikachu. It ended a long time ago and it has QUITE a few things different from the anime, like Ash actually catching that Spearow, Ash traveling alone most of the time, Sabrina not being a psychopath and that mischievous Haunter being much, much, MUCH worse than the anime could get away with!

Also it has poke shipping, rocket shipping and from what I heard it even has a ship between Brock and Sabrina.

shoz999

That isn't exactly what I was saying at all. Ash as of his long run, has been in the hands of quite a few writers in regards to his adventures in Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos and lately Alola.

We are starting from the ground up by this point and it would be a complete pain to adapt all of that into a series. So long as pokemon as a video game series keeps expanding and evolving, so does the manga if it has any hope of keeping up.

If you suggest he does just the OS... a manga version of that already exist, it is called the Electric Tale of Pikachu.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Are you saying that even with Kusaka at the helm, he'll just end up creating the exact same patterns of a storyline as the previous entries because of the interference of other entities to make sure the Pokemon anime series continues as the marketing gateway to the Pokemon games and not as it's own thing with both it's own freedom and support from GameFreak like Pokemon Adventures? And because of this, it might be a waste of time and Kusaka should just focus on evolving the manga?

Also I am suggesting he become a writer of an anime season, not an adaptation of it.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Are you saying that even with Kusaka at the helm, he'll just end up creating the exact same patterns of a storyline as the previous entries because of the interference of other entities to make sure the Pokemon anime series continues as the marketing gateway to the Pokemon games and not as it's own thing with both it's own freedom and support from GameFreak like Pokemon Adventures? And because of this, it might be a waste of time and Kusaka should just focus on evolving the manga?

Also I am suggesting he become a writer of an anime season, not an adaptation of it.

That isn't what I was saying at all. (God forbid if he was writing for the anime during Johto's run, we wouldn't have had that thing be a meat slurry filler of a disaster and MAYBE with the X/Y series Serena wouldn't be a watered down Dawn with an Ash crush. "Y has the Grace issues like Serena has, but that issue along with everything else of Y's character is far better written in comparison.")

What I am saying, is that it is far too late of Kusaka to work on the anime, if this discussion was during Gen 3 or something, I can see it happening.

But not now, too much has been done in the anime for him to get a fresh adaptation on and for the sake of sanity, it would be best if he stuck to the manga while he is deep in. (Or make an anime based on Gen 1 and Gen 2's Manga run.)

shoz999

That isn't what I was saying at all. (God forbid if he was writing for the anime during Johto's run, we wouldn't have had that thing be a meat slurry filler of a disaster and MAYBE with the X/Y series Serena wouldn't be a watered down Dawn with an Ash crush. "Y has the Grace issues like Serena has, but that issue along with everything else of Y's character is far better written in comparison.")

What I am saying, is that it is far too late of Kusaka to work on the anime, if this discussion was during Gen 3 or something, I can see it happening.

But not now, too much has been done in the anime for him to get a fresh adaptation on and for the sake of sanity, it would be best if he stuck to the manga while he is deep in. (Or make an anime based on Gen 1 and Gen 2's Manga run.)
Okay. I think I get what your saying. What your saying is that the anime is too far deep in too many episodes, lore and filler that Kusaka wouldn't be able to create a fresh adaptation out of previous Pokemon seasons. Looking at your previous comments, you think that I am saying that Kusaka should rewrite previous anime seasons? Am I right? Honestly I am just saying the idea of Kusaka giving his spin on Ash & Co. through an entirely new season, for example the upcoming 8th gen season that's undoubtedly going to happen. Or heck, a Let's Go adaptation.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Okay. So what your saying, what you saying is that the anime is too far deep in it's own lore, namely due to a lot of filler, that Kusaka wouldn't be able to create a fresh adaptation? I don't know about that. XYZ in many ways felt like a fresh reboot, almost completely ditching and distancing itself from the rest of the previous seasons in favor of a fresh new spin from beginning to middle to end. In many ways, Ash felt like an entirely new character. I feel like Kusaka could do the same thing but even better with a far more planned-out storyline.

Or Sun/Moon, it's fresh start and what it did to Ash by making him behave like an actual kid and being an actual character. (IMO, X/Y/Z's Ash was the worse version of him we have in terms of a character. No other phrase describes him better other than a black hole marry sue that still let us down in the end!)

It would be a better idea for Kusaka to at least finish his stories before moving onto the anime and getting a spot while he has a fresh anime series to bite into.

In other words, pray for Gen 8 to give us that wish.

shoz999

Or Sun/Moon, it's fresh start and what it did to Ash by making him behave like an actual kid and being an actual character. (IMO, X/Y/Z's Ash was the worse version of him we have in terms of a character. No other phrase describes him better other than a black hole marry sue that still let us down in the end!)

It would be a better idea for Kusaka to at least finish his stories before moving onto the anime and getting a spot while he has a fresh anime series to bite into.

In other words, pray for Gen 8 to give us that wish.
Apologies for the string of clueless comments I made. It was a little unclear what you were saying at but I think I finally get what you were saying earlier. Did you think I was saying that I suggest Kusaka remake the previous seasons instead of making a new one?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Apologies for the string of clueless comments I made. It was a little unclear what you were saying at but I think I finally get what you were saying earlier. Did you think I was saying that I suggest Kusaka remake the previous seasons instead of making a new one?

Correct good sir that was what I thought you said, no hard feelings for the misunderstanding? (Because I'm going to be attacked for voicing against XYZ's Ash at any moment.)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I don't really think Kusaka should write another Pokémon book, but it'd be interesting to see how he'd write Ash and Pikachu. If there was a mandate for him to write the anime in some way, I'd probably recomend a manga set in the I Choose you movie universe. Mainly because I'd like to see more of that version of Ash, who have no companions.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
As much as I like the idea of Kusaka getting involved in the show if that means that he has to delay Pokespe's release I have to say no. The good thing about Pokespe is the freedom Kusaka has while in the Pokemon Anime, he will have to work on under a certain director who will pretty much make the decisions about the core elements and direction of the story plus the plot and scenes will have to get dumbed down to be much more kid friendly so imo "sacrificing" the manga for the anime's sake is not worth it.

If he ever wrote Ash, I think he would go the easy way and write him just like Adventures' Red. Hero-like, exceptional battler, fair balance between cool and goofy moments and maybe less oblivious around girls.

shoz999

I don't really think Kusaka should write another Pokémon book, but it'd be interesting to see how he'd write Ash and Pikachu. If there was a mandate for him to write the anime in some way, I'd probably recomend a manga set in the I Choose you movie universe. Mainly because I'd like to see more of that version of Ash, who have no companions.
Kusaka giving his hand in the movieverse, now that is an interesting idea.

As much as I like the idea of Kusaka getting involved in the show if that means that he has to delay Pokespe's release I have to say no. The good thing about Pokespe is the freedom Kusaka has while in the Pokemon Anime, he will have to work on under a certain director who will pretty much make the decisions about the core elements and direction of the story plus the plot and scenes will have to get dumbed down to be much more kid friendly so imo "sacrificing" the manga for the anime's sake is not worth it.

If he ever wrote Ash, I think he would go the easy way and write him just like Adventures' Red. Hero-like, exceptional battler, fair balance between cool and goofy moments and maybe less oblivious around girls.
I suppose that's true about Ash. The XY take on Ash reminded me a lot of Red, in fact I think that's one of the reasons why anime fans found Ash appealing in the XY series. It reminded them less of Ash of the anime and more of Red, not just the manga but also the games too. I suppose it's not that hard to see Ash easily progress into Red's character again if they simply make him a battling genius with actual character progression. That part is probably easy. Now how he interacts with interesting story arcs is another story.

Last edited:

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
I suppose that's true about Ash. The XY take on Ash reminded me a lot of Red, in fact I think that's one of the reasons why anime fans found Ash appealing in the XY series. It reminded them less of Ash of the anime and more of Red, not just the manga but also the games too. I suppose it's not that hard to see Ash easily progress into Red's character again if they simply make him a battling genius with actual character progression. That part is probably easy. Now how he interacts with interesting story arcs is another story.

Personally, I think a mix of the two incarnations of DP and XY Ash would be the closest to Adventures!Red (Games!Red is just an overrated brick wall for me) and I think an ideal Ash for the fandom. My reasoning:

-DP Ash was good at applying strategy, taking risks and planning ahead during battles while XY Ash was overall much more quick witted to come out with unconventional tactics and he's also considered to have a superior composure, things that Red does and possess all the time throughout the series.
-Red much like DP Ash with Paul had Green to put him down during their rivalry and even when Red defeated him at the league and also became closer friends, Green would still chew him out like in FRLG arc where he called him a wimp. XY Ash instead have everyone look up to him and didn't have anyone to put him down yet at the same time he was depicted as much more heroic than DP Ash.
-Also, DP Ash was much more prone into comedic moments and felt much more lively in terms of personality like Red, things that XY Ash lacked for the most part especially in XYZ barring Ash-Greninja arc.

Last edited:

shoz999

Personally, I think a mix of the two incarnations of DP and XY Ash would be the closest to Adventures!Red (Games!Red is just an overrated brick wall for me) and I think an ideal Ash for the fandom. My reasoning:

-DP Ash was good at applying strategy, taking risks and planning ahead during battles while XY Ash was overall much more quick witted to come out with unconventional tactics and he's also considered to have a superior composure, things that Red does and possess all the time throughout the series.
-Red much like DP Ash with Paul had Green to put him down during their rivalry and even when Red defeated him at the league and also became closer friends, Green would still chew him out like in FRLG arc where he called him a wimp. XY Ash instead have everyone look up to him and didn't have anyone to put him down yet at the same time he was depicted as much more heroic than DP Ash.
-Also, DP Ash was much more prone into comedic moments and felt much more lively in terms of personality like Red, things that XY Ash lacked for the most part especially in XYZ barring Ash-Greninja arc.
lol. So I'm not the only one who thinks Paul feels more like a proper adaptation of Green/Blue (the rival) than Gary ever was. A lot of people say he's modeled after Silver but I'd say Silver is a lot more complicated than Paul's character is.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
I haven't read much of Pokemon Adventures (only read the Gen 1 portion up to the end of the Pokemon League), but I want to read more of this manga when I have the time. I've been pretty entertained from what I've read so far and I'd say a slightly darker version of the anime (while still keeping to it's roots) would be a good idea but I don't know. I'll need to read more of the series in order to get a better idea.

shoz999

I haven't read much of Pokemon Adventures (only read the Gen 1 portion up to the end of the Pokemon League), but I want to read more of this manga when I have the time. I've been pretty entertained from what I've read so far and I'd say a slightly darker version of the anime (while still keeping to it's roots) would be a good idea but I don't know. I'll need to read more of the series in order to get a better idea.
The Gen 2 Story Arc is when Pokemon Adventures really starts to form it's own identity. It's Pokemon Adventures breakout arc. For those who don't know what a breakout arc is, it's that memorable popular, or to some fans overrated, story arc that defines or sets the standards of much of the manga/anime early on, think Dragon Ball Z's Frieza arc for example.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
it's that memorable popular, or to some fans overrated, story arc that defines or sets the standards of much of the manga/anime early on, think Dragon Ball Z's Frieza arc for example.

Ah ok. Andorids/Cell Arc is better than the Frieza Arc lol.