• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to see Kusaka, writer of PKMN Adventures, do his own spin on Ash & Co for the anime?

Would you like to see Kusaka, the writer of Pokemon Adventures, do his own spin on Ash & Co?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • No.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I think the manga is fine if we're judging it simply by how it's plotted, but I feel as if recent arcs have leaned too much on character comebacks and questionable plot twists that seem to be done just for shock factor. If there was a manga like that that followed Satoshi's adventures, I wouldn't read it.
OP doesn't want an Ash manga; OP wants Kusaka to write a season of the anime.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think the manga is fine if we're judging it simply by how it's plotted, but I feel as if recent arcs have leaned too much on character comebacks and questionable plot twists that seem to be done just for shock factor. If there was a manga like that that followed Satoshi's adventures, I wouldn't read it.
I wasn't talking about a manga but rather an entirely new season. Other than that, interesting point. Personally I thought the recent unexpected cameo in XY worked pretty fine and suited the plot well, one fan explaining it was a callback to a very small reference in the X and Y games of a certain Kanto character visiting the Kalos region, and many of the plot twists Kusaka has done recently I felt were ingenius, especially that one loophole in Mega Evolution that seems so obvious when you think about it but never really occurred to most people till they read that scene. Honestly I think the only cameos that felt a bit forced rather than plot relevant was the ORAS arc and even I think they were still fairly good, not great.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Mmmm @shoz999 i say go for it as Frlg arc do reading as future Ash's story arc in the Pokemon anime.
He doesn't really write that dark story anyway
He can bring some elements of Pokemon special into Ash's world without retconing his past that much (Red's gen1 outfit in Ash's os days ) and xyz already add Poilwag in Ash's past so......just make that Poilwag return to Ash as full evolved Poilwrath and have him reveal that his own mother force him put it into wild as he deen too young to have Pokemon in his mother eye and just ageing him and his friends to 11th ages (in Brock's case he would be his 16th) Serana could definitely became Y as she did try out flying trainer stuff with ash during Xy and z arc and inspired her take flyer school not that hard you know ?
May lost her brother could lead into her character act like sapphire and Brendan easy add into Pokemon anime universe and same thing can be said for Dawn in sinnoh .
Yallow and Blue can show up as those mystery kids start with starter Pokemon from professor Oak himself (as furthershipper and luckyshipper......i always been wanting Leaf-chan in the Pokemon anime for long time ago before even amourshipping is thing)

Last edited:

shoz999

Mmmm @shoz999 i say go for it as Frlg arc do reading as future Ash's story arc in the Pokemon anime.
He doesn't really write that dark story anyway
He can bring some elements of Pokemon special into Ash's world without retconing his past that much (Red's gen1 outfit in Ash's os days ) and xyz already add Poilwag in Ash's past so......just make that Poilwag return to Ash as full evolved Poilwrath and have him reveal that his own mother force him put it into wild as he deen too young to have Pokemon in his mother eye and just ageing him and his friends to 11th ages (in Brock's case he would be his 16th) Serana could definitely because Y as she did try out flying trainer stuff with ash during Xy and z arc and inspired her take flyer school not that hard you know ?
May lost her brother could lead into her character act like sapphire and Brendan easy add into Pokemon anime universe and same thing can be said for Dawn in sinnoh .
Yallow and Blue (as furthershipper and luckyshipper......i always been wanting Leaf-chan in the Pokemon anime for long time ago before even amourshipping is thing)

Doesn't have to follow the FRLG arc but it would be cool to see Ash don FRLG and SM clothings.

Don't know about that. The reason why Kusaka decided to give Red a Poliwag on his team to begin with is that it's a reference to Satoshi Tajiri's favorite Gen 1 Pokemon and that his final evolution, Poliwrath, reminded Kusaka of a superhero. As for the anime, I'm not sure if they would go for a late Kanto addition to his team just for a subtle reference to the creator of Pokemon.

As for Serena, not sure about that. That would need some more character development and the two Serena's are similar but fairly different characters. For starters the Adventures version of Serena is the one who teases Calem, making him blush a few times, whereas Ash is the one who unintentionally "teases" Serena in the anime making her blush a few times. I feel like Kusaka would instead do a more in-depth character look of Serena of the anime, instead of making her into somewhat of a different character.

Why do I have the strangest feeling that May losing her brother has to do with Max not being a likable character lol among the fanbase. Although I can imagine the Pokemon Adventures writer making Max less annoying. Also I don't think Brendan would be an easy character to add in. Drew is basically Ruby without the main character status and the Brendan in the cameos is shown to be a die-hard fan of Pokemon battles. Honestly, I can't picture Kusaka doing something that dark, especially since the anime appeals to children. I think he would go for a more light-hearted route, maybe introduce Brendan through a tournament or something and build on from there rather than contain it a storyline that will never be mentioned again in the future.

Although I will admit one thing. Seeing how your comment is basically fanservice you want to see reminded me that Kusaka could deliver some mindblowing plot-relevant fanservice that will take the fans who are only familiar with the anime by complete surprise. I can imagine the little kids smiling widely in excitement as Kusaka's execution of fanservice is so amazing, it will bring your inner Pokemon fanboy out screaming in excitement like a kid at a candy store. In fact I honestly think Kusaka is literally the only person capable enough to can bring nearly ALL 50 protagonists and rivals as of SM right now together in one season. The epic storylines he did for Gen 2 and Gen 3 reminds me of one of those epic crossover Marvel storylines.

Last edited:

Redstar45

Like i said .......i do say if he had a choice to bring some elements of Pokemon special into the Pokemon anime show ....them he would .....he is smarter enough to do it without piss off the gf and tpc....(i didn't saying all of them did i ? )
The S&M anime is already look like it might be oing to add the eevee into Ash's team and Pokemon anime show had no problems bringing older gen Pokemon add into his team during current generation show before !
Dude you know that Pokemon show had no problems bring dark stuff and did kill off dppt characters named hunters j and the Leader of the team flare in the xyz era and had show to kill off all the Pokemon in movies and tv show right ? (sm did that )
We did just had lusamine go nut in the Pokemon anime and her abuse to her own childrens by away.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Why do I have the strangest feeling that May losing her brother has to do with Max not being a likable character lol among the fanbase. Although I can imagine the Pokemon Adventures writer making Max less annoying. Also I don't think Brendan would be an easy character to add in. Drew is basically Ruby without the main character status and the Brendan in the cameos is shown to be a die-hard fan of Pokemon battles. Honestly, I can't picture Kusaka doing something that dark, especially since the anime appeals to children. I think he would go for a more light-he

Max was likely added in the anime to fill in Misty's role, and give May the older sister angle. Since May was treated as a major character in Hoenn, they added another support character like Max to fill out a group of 4.

Redstar45

Max was likely added in the anime to fill in Misty's role, and give May the older sister angle. Since May was treated as a major character in Hoenn, they added another support character like Max to fill out a group of 4.
Likely that to be case

shoz999

Like i said .......i do say if he had a choice to bring some elements of Pokemon special into the Pokemon anime show ....them he would .....he is smarter enough to do it without piss off the gf and tpc....(i didn't saying all of them did i ? )
The S&M anime is already look like it might be oing to add the eevee into Ash's team and Pokemon anime show had no problems bringing older gen Pokemon add into his team during current generation show before !
Dude you know that Pokemon show had no problems bring dark stuff and did kill off dppt characters named hunters j and the Leader of the team flare in the xyz era and had show to kill off all the Pokemon in movies and tv show right ? (sm did that )
We did just had lusamine go nut in the Pokemon anime and her abuse to her own childrens by away.
The Eevee is for Let's Go purposes. In fact I think the reason why it even has that hairdo is to get a haircut to promote Let's Go' customization features. There's no real guarantee that Poliwag will join Ash's team. It's a good idea but again, no guarantee.

As for the dark stuff, yeah your right to an extant but see. Here's the thing. The anime does dark and gritty stuff for the sake of shock value and it's a good way to wrap villains up and never mention them again. They almost always do that. The Adventures manga does it because there's a reason for everything. In the end, they are both light-hearted material. Now the thing is, when it comes to the subject of death, that is something you don't want to happen to 10 year olds or younger, such as Max. Both the anime and manga has only explored that through adults, usually villains. There's a lot other great ways for Brendan to appear that doesn't involved Max's death even though he is somewhat annoying.

Pretty much. Personally I think Croagunk did a better job than Max and Misty. You'll never see Croagunk coming lol.

Redstar45

All thing about the Poilwag is just me talking about the idea of the team of writers wanted to do with that idea with Ash/Satoshi's character and we don't know what kusaka wanted to if he had do with the anime show anyway.....so we just spectacular the idea that what he could or couldn't do with the Pokemon anime .

Last edited:

shoz999

All thing about the Poilwag is just me talking about thr ideao of writers wanted to do and we don't know what kusaka wanted to if he had do with the anime show anyway.....so we just spectacular the idea that what he could or couldn't do with the Pokemon anime
I have some basic ideas what Kusaka would do.
  • He'd want to do an in-depth look at the characters, including the villains. There would be real character progression in almost each episode.
  • He wouldn't do the more contained storylines of villain story arcs, he would introduce the villain team almost near to the beginning leaving a huge mystery.
  • This huge mystery wouldn't be contained in a few episodes but would leave behind clues in almost every location Ash & Co. has visit.
  • Gym Leaders will always have a huge role in the storyline as well rather than contained to a few episodes. We will see what jobs they have outside of their Gym Leader duties.
  • The battles would undoubtedly be better than the XYZ series, no argument there.
  • "Filler" episodes would contribute to the plot, kind of like side quests impacting the main plot in video games.
  • Kusaka will tease the anime fans at hinted romance but for the most part, he will leave it at that.
  • This is only if GameFreak wants Kusaka to do a season that feels like a reboot, similar to the XYZ series. If it's more like a continuation, kind of like the Johto season continues where the Kanto season left off, there will be fanservice.
  • Fan Service will be limited to either mentioning or fanservice that contributes to the plot and not side-filler episodes.
  • Side or Supporting Characters, or possibly Character of the days, will be mostly limited to Trainer Classes from the games.
  • It will end with a satisfying conclusion but will possibly leave enough questions for storylines to be continued in the next season.
  • It'll end with Ash & Co. running or walking happily to the bright warm sunlight, looking forward to the future.

Redstar45

• It will end with a satisfying conclusion but will possibly leave enough questions for storylines to be continued in the next season.
  • It'll end with Ash & Co. running or walking happily to the bright warm sunlight, looking forward to the future.
I kinda wish that gf and tpc allow Kusaka do dark or bleaked ending for Ash and his friends to dealing with it and in Japanese younger fans can handle it and no more Americans to massing up with the Pokemon anime for once

Epicocity

• He'd want to do an in-depth look at the characters, including the villains. There would be real character progression in almost each episode.
  • He wouldn't do the more contained storylines of villain story arcs, he would introduce the villain team almost near to the beginning leaving a huge mystery.
  • This huge mystery wouldn't be contained in a few episodes but would leave behind clues in almost every location Ash & Co. has visit.
  • Gym Leaders will always have a huge role in the storyline as well rather than contained to a few episodes. We will see what jobs they have outside of their Gym Leader duties.
  • The battles would undoubtedly be better than the XYZ series, no argument there.
  • "Filler" episodes would contribute to the plot, kind of like side quests impacting the main plot in video games.
  • Kusaka will tease the anime fans at hinted romance but for the most part, he will leave it at that.
  • This is only if GameFreak wants Kusaka to do a season that feels like a reboot, similar to the XYZ series. If it's more like a continuation, kind of like the Johto season continues where the Kanto season left off, there will be fanservice.
  • Fan Service will be limited to either mentioning or fanservice that contributes to the plot and not side-filler episodes.
  • Side or Supporting Characters, or possibly Character of the days, will be mostly limited to Trainer Classes from the games.
Your premise, however, is flawed. Kusaka is able to do all of these things because he has freedom. It's very clear the manga isn't as executively meddled as the anime. Kusaka doesn't have a whole committee breathing down his neck, he doesn't have to work with 3-5 other writers, or animators, or a director who's above him and get it passed through things that has to air on television, which in and of itself brings more restrictions.

Because Kusaka doesn't have those, he can craft a story his way and no one else's except for input from an editor and possibly his artist. That offers a lot of possibility that the anime has to actively work around. Not to mention that the anime is, moreso than the manga, made to market the games. They have to show all the Pokemon and have to sell those games. They also have to produce it on a weekly schedule. What's Kusaka at now? Monthly. That's way more time than the anime.

I'd argue, in the end, that if Kusaka had to work with the same limitations as the anime staff, he'd potentially produce even an inferior product.

To address your individual points briefly:
  • You say an in-depth look would be provided and the plot would move every episode. That's really easy to say when a chapter could maybe fill 5-10 minutes of an anime. Now try 20 minutes for 3 years and a total of 140 episodes. That's 280 chapters produced by equivalent at least. You're definitely going to be seeing either filler or a downgrade in quality.
  • I've read each installment of the manga, and I can't say it's done anything better than XYZ battles, especially since the rules between the verses are different, so this point is highly speculative.
  • Side characters only being the trainer classes would get very boring after a while and leave nothing for original characters; we'd have never had a Sawyer or Alain or Meyer, all of whom were fantastic characters on the whole.
  • "Satisfying conclusion" is up for debate as well, because both DP and XY got really great conclusions that were satisfying for the most part.
No offense to the effort you put in, but all of your posts feel like they're saying the anime needs to take from the manga to be good, when, in fact, it doesn't. They are two very different identities and very different properties that wouldn't mesh with each other. Perhaps Ash's journey has gone a long time, but we've seen him grow from cocky noob to a genuine ace trainer by XY and it makes whatever accomplishments he has feel fulfilling. You can't always get that when you jump protagonists every few years (note, I said always). It's an entirely different beast from the manga, and perhaps better for it at times. I certainly didn't connect to the XY arc of the manga, which felt by the numbers and full of so much doom and gloom I got hit with Darkness Induced Audience Apathy, while XY in the anime gave me a culmination of everything to that point. So you can't objectively put one over the other.

Bottom line after this winding post: Kusaka with the same restrictions the anime creators have may not write a good series, and may, in fact, produce something worse. However, we'll never know, because he's not an anime writer, and I doubt he ever will be.

Redstar45

Your premise, however, is flawed. Kusaka is able to do all of these things because he has freedom. It's very clear the manga isn't as executively meddled as the anime. Kusaka doesn't have a whole committee breathing down his neck, he doesn't have to work with 3-5 other writers, or animators, or a director who's above him and get it passed through things that has to air on television, which in and of itself brings more restrictions.

Because Kusaka doesn't have those, he can craft a story his way and no one else's except for input from an editor and possibly his artist. That offers a lot of possibility that the anime has to actively work around. Not to mention that the anime is, moreso than the manga, made to market the games. They have to show all the Pokemon and have to sell those games. They also have to produce it on a weekly schedule. What's Kusaka at now? Monthly. That's way more time than the anime.

I'd argue, in the end, that if Kusaka had to work with the same limitations as the anime staff, he'd potentially produce even an inferior product.

• You say an in-depth look would be provided and the plot would move every episode. That's really easy to say when a chapter could maybe fill 5-10 minutes of an anime. Now try 20 minutes for 3 years and a total of 140 episodes. That's 280 chapters produced by equivalent at least. You're definitely going to be seeing either filler or a downgrade in quality.
  • I've read each installment of the manga, and I can't say it's done anything better than XYZ battles, especially since the rules between the verses are different, so this point is highly speculative.
  • Side characters only being the trainer classes would get very boring after a while and leave nothing for original characters; we'd have never had a Sawyer or Alain or Meyer, all of whom were fantastic characters on the whole.
  • "Satisfying conclusion" is up for debate as well, because both DP and XY got really great conclusions that were satisfying for the most part.
No offense to the effort you put in, but all of your posts feel like they're saying the anime needs to take from the manga to be good, when, in fact, it doesn't. They are two very different identities and very different properties that wouldn't mesh with each other. Perhaps Ash's journey has gone a long time, but we've seen him grow from cocky noob to a genuine ace trainer by XY and it makes whatever accomplishments he has feel fulfilling. You can't always get that when you jump protagonists every few years (note, I said always). It's an entirely different beast from the manga, and perhaps better for it at times. I certainly didn't connect to the XY arc of the manga, which felt by the numbers and full of so much doom and gloom I got hit with Darkness Induced Audience Apathy, while XY in the anime gave me a culmination of everything to that point. So you can't objectively put one over the other.

Bottom line after this winding post: Kusaka with the same restrictions the anime creators have may not write a good series, and may, in fact, produce something worse. However, we'll never know, because he's not an anime writer, and I doubt he ever will be.
I think kusaka could pull Ash/Satoshi on Special!Red if he didn't give him a Poilwhirl of course and give in depth character development had rgb more vol to flesh out kanto zunkan (Pokedex) owners and more

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
would there also be an arc on hiatus for 2 years only for it to return monthly for about a year, skipping a few months, and then go on an undefined hiatus when it was finally getting to a climax, without solving the cliffhanger from the previous arc?

Redstar45

That because gf is screw Kusaka by doing a sequel to the bw game and xy and sun and moon/ usum was shoot fast ever two years like a fish that jumped out of the water tank every five seconds

shoz999

Fair points.
  • True. Freedom is important to Kusaka's way of storytelling. I know this but forget this at times. As you said, if Kusaka had such limitations, he'd produce an inferior product. The Sun and Moon arc shows some traces of this, seemingly being the more rushed stories due to time constraints alongside BW2.
  • Not every episode. Almost every episode. I say almost because Pokemon Adventures has it's share of, not really filler, but stories on the side that contributes the plot in some ways, most notably gaining a new Pokemon partner. In fact one of the reasons why the XYZ season reminds me so much of Pokemon Adventures it how stays on track of the plot compared to previous seasons. Also I understand what your saying how a chapter couldn't be able to fill a full episode.
  • I understand what your saying, it's mostly subjective right about battles? For the fun of it, how about I explain my reasoning why I feel Adventures battles are better than XYZ's and you explain yours. Personally one of the things I love about Adventures style of battling is the build-up and creative planning that goes into the battles. The thing is that's only the core part of it, there are then the variables surrounding that core. It can range from the VGC-style and gimmicky mechanics of the Battle Frontier to the limitations of Gen 1 to hilariously making perfect IVs seen as OP than it should be lol. It's not just that but almost every battle in it has a lot of personality and character to it, the Pokemon that are chosen, the playstyle, the commands, the way the trainers move. XYZ does has this but not on the same character dynamical scale as the manga with multiple characters. The battles feel more than just action scenes, they feel like character interactions in many ways that tell you a lot about the characters without needlessly going into too much exposition. A great example is Red vs. Giovanni. I loved the planning and build-up to the battle and even more-so the result of it. We really see what kind of a villain Giovanni is through the battle alone. He acts not just as the Gym Leader and Leader of Team Rocket but a mentor, a type of mentor that teaches Red to make every second count, and a Pokemon Trainer at the heart, one who has gone bored to the point that he hasn't used his strongest ground-types in a long time and expresses some admiration for Red's accomplishments. And that's only just the first chapter of Pokemon Adventures. Another favorite is in the Pokemon GSC arc, we see Gold and Silver giving it their all in a 6v6 match. To the reader's excitement, their having a lot of fun, even Silver who before that point is always shown as this sinister individual. Some of Ash's rivals and Brandon of the Battle Pyramid has this but not on the same scale as Pokemon Adventures. I suppose it has to do with partly, as you said, the limitations though.
  • You say side characters only being trainer classes would be boring however... I DISAGREE. There's a lot of story potential that can fill these empty stock characters. On one hand though, you are correct. We wouldn't have gotten Sawyer, Alain and Meyer. We would be missing out some fantastic characters. Perhaps the anime can have both?
  • You think I'm saying the Pokemon anime series never had a satisfying conclusion? I don't recall saying that but if it surprises you one of the reasons why I think XYZ reminds me of Pokemon Adventures is how it began and ends like an entirely new fresh story rather than a continuation. The scene where Ash enters home at nighttime, the credits rolling afterwards reminded me so much of the Pokemon Adventures style of endings after Gen 3.
  • Apologies if you got that impression, my curiosity of comparing the two longrunners and how they went different paths, what they could possibly learn from each other knows no bounds.

would there also be an arc on hiatus for 2 years only for it to return monthly for about a year, skipping a few months, and then go on an undefined hiatus when it was finally getting to a climax, without solving the cliffhanger from the previous arc?
You are saying the Black and White 2 situation? Depends. In your scenario, does Kusaka work on two anime projects at the same time? I'd imagine it be much worst since this is an entire anime season, not a manga arc. Also I suppose you have to take into consideration he might be working on the manga at the same time. Then there are possibilities of future remakes/expansions/sequels that may add an additional second story arc on the side to work on.

Last edited:

Redstar45

Hey it could definitely challenged his writing skill with stories that different from his usally story styles and anime might good to me & others falling out and he could give writers staff more new and better idea to use and if kusaka like anime show which he do and anime give him bit more freedom to do a characters like blue and yellow and older anime characters and game characters more freedom in show more emotional and explore that manga interpretations doesn't have in pages

Last edited:

shoz999

Hey it could definitely challenged his writing skill with stories that different from his usally story styles and anime might good to me & others falling out and he could give writers staff more new and better idea to use and if kusaka like anime show which he do and anime give him bit more freedom to do a characters like blue and yellow and older anime characters and game characters more freedom in show more emotional and explore that manga interpretations doesn't have in pages
I suppose I should respond to the limitations with a question. What if there was, as unrealistic as this sounds, no limitations? Then how will Ash & Co's story be written and how will it be compared to previous seasons? One does not simply say that a story with the DNA of the anime and the Adventures-style planning will be exactly like Pokemon Adventures, if you know how different each story arc is.

Redstar45

@shoz999 you would like to have to do the story kindly like how he would do the dppt (Special) arc for the 3 sinnoh dex holders but with our ash and his travelling friends as it is considered closer to the classic pocket monsters anime story styles with red as perfect example of Ash himself .

He would likely to planning few months ahead of the time during the Pokemon sun and moon anime for upcoming gen 8 anime
Each plot would be have three elements storytelling : main story plot characters plot sub plot

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
all of your posts feel like they're saying the anime needs to take from the manga to be good

Thank you for saying what I've always wanted to say, and it's not just all his posts, but all his threads.