• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you like to see Kusaka, writer of PKMN Adventures, do his own spin on Ash & Co for the anime?

Would you like to see Kusaka, the writer of Pokemon Adventures, do his own spin on Ash & Co?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • No.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Thank you for saying what I've always wanted to say, and it's not just all his posts, but all his threads.
Not really but it would help little you know ?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Redstar45

Eh as Ash/Red fan i would be okay with it as kusaka staying faithful to source material of Pokemon anime universe and find a way bringing some elements of Pokemon special into the Pokemon anime universe.
Not really

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Eh as Ash/Red fan i would be okay with it as kusaka staying faithful to source material of Pokemon anime universe and find a way bringing some elements of Pokemon special into the Pokemon anime universe.
That's fair.

Redstar45

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
So what do you think? Would you like the experienced story-teller to take a shot at Ash & Co. Are you intrigued by it? Do you not like the idea? If you don't like it, please explain your thoughts below?

It really depends on what kind of story he's going to tell. I've only read the first three volumes of Pokémon Adventures extensively to get an idea of what the early adventures were like. It's the run of the mill Shōnen story featuring Pokémon, nothing too special other than a much more action-prone Team Rocket causing a lot of trouble for our heroes. Red, in particular, is pretty much Ash except with a more extensive knowledge of Pokémon (i.e. remembering type advantages, Pokémon species, etc) due to being alone for the most part unlike Ash (if you've seen Pokémon: I Choose You, you know that Ash's intelligence is highly dependent on whether he has a mentor figure accompanying him or not). Other than that, there is nothing too special about him.

From what I've managed to gather for the future arcs, it seems quite clear every Adventure character after Red seems to have a more complex character and arc. From Ruby's preference for Contests to Sapphire's wild tomboyish nature to Diamond's clown act to Platinum's rich background to Sun's obsession with money to Moon's love of Poison-Types, etc. And apparently, the Pokémon Adventure's popularity didn't really take off until around Yellow/Gold & Silver where the focus went from Red to Yellow/Gold.

Because of this, I thinks it's highly likely that Kusaka would more likely focus on characters that surround Ash's life than Ash himself. Such as the Team Rocket trio. You got an interesting set there. Jessie being this proud, vain woman who came from a poor orphanage due to her mother disappearing in search of Mew. James being a sensitive, charming man who ran away from his rich parents because of a forced engagement with a woman he doesn't like. And Meowth whose very backstory of his talking nature is legendary sad. There's enough material for Kusaka to work off of. And that's not getting into Brock's family issues, Misty's issues as the youngest of four sisters, etc.

If this sounds familiar to you, it's because I'm looking at another writer known to tackle less kid-friendly topics and complex characters in Pokémon: Takeshi Shūdo.

To understand how Kusaka may operate in an anime season to look at Takeshi Shūdo and see what he had to face during his tenure as head writer of the anime series. But that alone may not be enough since manga don't really much room for filler, breather episodes that the anime is known for. Occasionally, there may be a chapter or two that showcases the daily life of Red when he's not fighting Team Rocket. But when the story starts to pick up, they virtually all but disappear. The only time that the anime has ever used that format (aka full storyline with no filler) is the Kalos League/Team Flare arc, and that's mainly due to the fact that they had a year to wrap up the loose ends and thus can't afford to use any episodes slots remaining for filler episodes. Otherwise, you'll have the story arc being stretch out by the occasional filler batch of episodes.

That's not also getting into the fact that a writer is only part of the process in the anime production. The real visionary behind of the anime's direction and tone is the director. For Kusaka to do his best, he has to cooperate with the director very well in order to ensure the best product.

Redstar45

Funny........this when I first disagreed with that @Shadao as i think that kusaka could pull red on Ash/Satoshi but better as he got more back ground to explore as his father and how mother give up her dream to become a great Pokemon trainer herself.
It really depends on what kind of story he's going to tell. I've only read the first three volumes of Pokémon Adventures extensively to get an idea of what the early adventures were like. It's the run of the mill Shōnen story featuring Pokémon, nothing too special other than a much more action-prone Team Rocket causing a lot of trouble for our heroes. Red, in particular, is pretty much Ash except with a more extensive knowledge of Pokémon (i.e. remembering type advantages, Pokémon species, etc) due to being alone for the most part unlike Ash (if you've seen Pokémon: I Choose You, you know that Ash's intelligence is highly dependent on whether he has a mentor figure accompanying him or not). Other than that, there is nothing too special about him.

From what I've managed to gather for the future arcs, it seems quite clear every Adventure character after Red seems to have a more complex character and arc. From Ruby's preference for Contests to Sapphire's wild tomboyish nature to Diamond's clown act to Platinum's rich background to Sun's obsession with money to Moon's love of Poison-Types, etc. And apparently, the Pokémon Adventure's popularity didn't really take off until around Yellow/Gold & Silver where the focus went from Red to Yellow/Gold.

Because of this, I thinks it's highly likely that Kusaka would more likely focus on characters that surround Ash's life than Ash himself.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Funny........this when I first disagreed with that @Shadao as i think that kusaka could pull red on Ash/Satoshi but better as he got more back ground to explore as his father and how mother give up her dream to become a great Pokemon trainer herself.

Oh I have no doubt that you can do something interesting with Ash. However, I didn't really see much exploration with Red's backstory and parents at all. Maybe a few allusions, but no explanation as to why. Which is a stark contrast to the rest of the Adventures crew.

As such, I don't know if Kusaka even considers exploring Satoshi in great depth at all. If he didn't do it for Red (Adventures), why would Ash be different at all since he's the anime incarnation of Red?

Redstar45

Actually there was a interview with kusaka about his Pokemon special manga and how it started......the guy asked him that would interested in doing a crossovers story with Pokemon anime with ash meet rest of the Pokédéx owners from Pokemon special manga . @shoz999 mind you the info could be fake or something like that.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Actually there was a interview with kusaka about his Pokemon special manga and how it started......the guy asked him that would interested in doing a crossovers story with Pokemon anime with ash meet rest of the Pokédéx owners from Pokemon special manga . @shoz999 mind you the info could be fake or something like that.
That' quite an interesting find. Where did you found this source?

Redstar45

Pokemon Facebook page show links to the interviews.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Redstar45

Ehh that is not one i am talking about ....it is similarly to the one i found by Facebook page that use to show random link to websites.....i think that one i was talking about is have kusaka say that he in 90s have more freedom then nowaday and chance of him doing a crossovers story with Red and Ash is pretty much low and he have pretty idea on how to do the story like that

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Ehh that is not one i am talking about ....it is similarly to the one i found by Facebook page that use to show random link to websites.....i think that one i was talking about is have kusaka say that he in 90s have more freedom then nowaday and chance of him doing a crossovers story with Red and Ash is pretty much low and he have pretty idea on how to do the story like that
That's pretty much what he says here.

Redstar45

Again the one i was talking about is probably fake anyway