• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would You Name Your Baby After a Pokemon? (pt. 2)

Nyter

Island Challenger
I joined the forums back in 2011 and posted a thread back then about whether or not you would name your offspring after a Pokemon, and if so, which ones? Back around that time, gen. 5 just came out. A lot of members agreed they would never name their baby after any Pokemon.

Fastfoward 8-9 years later and reports show that babies are being named after or inspired by Pokemon after the popularity spike Pokemon Go thrusted the Pokemon franchise to the public. Names like Roselia and Onix are being chosen by parents to name their girls, while names like Ash (character) and Shay (derivative of Shaymin) are being chosen for boys. No one has mustered up the courage to name their child after the notorious franchise mascot, Pikachu.

So now that we are here in 2020-2021, and we know much of the public turns to pop culture for ideas on what to name their child, I will ask again.

Would you name your baby after a Pokemon? And if so, which ones for boy or girl do you have in mind?

I honestly, and I remember saying this back in 2011, think the name Axew for a boy is cool. Axew can be a slight sway off the name "Axel" but Axew sounds more endearing. I never really thought what Pokemon I would use to name a girl. I have to imagine myself calling his/her name and making convo with them addressing him/her by THAT name.

I know some names would be absurd to use such as Mr. Mime or Tapu Lele. But there are more names to pick from with the last 3 gens offering more choices. Litleo sounds cool to me too. Adds to the common "Leo" identity.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Definitely not. That just seems cruel tbh. Some video game characters work as actual baby names such as a majority of the Mario main cast and the Legend of Zelda. But there are other games like Sonic that just don’t have any appropriate or normal sounding names that wouldn’t cause ridicule from other kids. If it was the name of a Pokémon Trainer of any type then yes it would be acceptable but you can’t and shouldn’t name a child Pikachu no matter how much you love the Pokémon.

Orphalesion

Of course not! I wouldn't do that to a helpless baby. I'm generally not much of a fan of "trend" names inspired by games or TV shows (I still remember that time in the 2010s when people started naming their daughters Kaleehsi after Daenerys' title from GoT :rolleyes:)

The two names you mention Roselia and Onix are still fairly okay, because they are just spelling variations of a more traditional name "Rosalia" and the name of a gemstone "Onyx" (and gemstone frequently get used for girl names, just think of Ruby and Pearl or, more rarely, Sapphire and Amethyst) So I don't see them that as that unusual, and Rosalia/Roselia is even fairly pretty.
But stuff like Litleo....no...just no... Just skip the chase and call the poor boy Leo instead.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The two names you mention Roselia and Onix are still fairly okay, because they are just spelling variations of a more traditional name "Rosalia" and the name of a gemstone "Onyx" (and gemstone frequently get used for girl names, just think of Ruby and Pearl or, more rarely, Sapphire and Amethyst) So I don't see them that as that unusual, and Rosalia/Roselia is even fairly pretty.
But stuff like Litleo....no...just no... Just skip the chase and call the poor boy Leo instead.

I’ve never heard of Onyx being used as a name before but you are right about gemstones being used as names. There’s Crystal/Krystal, Amber, Garnet, Opal, Jet for boys, and Coral/Cora/Coraline. And I didn’t think of Rosalia being similar to the traditional name but I think it would be acceptable to use as a name for a baby girl.

Ultra Beast Lover

No, I might give a child the name of a human character as long as it's a real name somewhere in the world but not a Pokemon name. Even then I'm wary of giving a kid the name of a character from a franchise I love because then they might think I'm trying to live out a bizarre fantasy where I'm Batman's mom or something. Now, if it's a pet, then I'd say sure call your corgi Yamper or German Shepard Togepi, because most of these names would make unique names for pets, because most Pokemon are animals.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Batman is a traditional last name from England. It supposedly means “Friend of Bartholomew” after the saint. As I said before several Mario and Zelda characters have acceptable names. Only Wario and Walugi are unacceptable and Yoshi is a normal name in Japan.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
When I was 13, I said I’d name my kids after Clemont and Iris. Oh, what an idiot I was...

Ultra Beast Lover

Batman is a traditional last name from England. It supposedly means “Friend of Bartholomew” after the saint. As I said before several Mario and Zelda characters have acceptable names. Only Wario and Walugi are unacceptable and Yoshi is a normal name in Japan.
Wait...are you serious about the Batman thing?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Apparently a guy convinced his family to name his nephew after Zacian. The article goes in to depth about it but it’s stil surreal

I’d never name my kid after a Pokémon though. Just feels tacky and they’re going to be teased about it for at least the first 18 years of their life thanks to how blunt or rude people are during their school years. Would be selfish to name an entire person after a minor hobby of mine IMO

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Apparently a guy convinced his family to name his nephew after Zacian. The article goes in to depth about it but it’s steal surreal

I’d never name my kid after a Pokémon though. Just feels tacky and they’re going to be teased about it for at least the first 18 years of their life thanks to how blunt or rude people are during their school years. Would be selfish to name an entire person after a minor hobby of mine IMO
At least it isn’t nearly as bad as the names some celebrities have given their children. Particularly Apple and Shiloh (which always makes me think of the 1996 movie about a dog whenever I hear that name which is odd considering I’ve never watched the movie before). Or Frank Zappa naming his daughter Moon Unit.

Red and Blue

Nope, never. I have no problem naming a pet after a Pokemon but I would never inflict that on my son or daughter

Ultra Beast Lover

I mean, if you're feeling dangerous, go for it. You've got a 33.3/33.3/33.3 shot of the kid either being seen as super cool in some groups, the kid changing their name and possibly cutting you off, or other kids treating said kid like an animal and saying, "Here Pikachu! Come here!" "Want some ketchup, Pikachu?" "Why won't you get into the pokeball, Pikachu?" "Pika pika pikapi!" "Let me throw this rock at you and see if you faint!" etc., until the kid snaps and now the name has a bad connotation associated with it. Either way, big chance the kid would grow up resenting the parent.

Orphalesion

I have heard of people naming their kid Eevee, it being for a girl's name. Not sure if it's spelled the same as the Pokémon though.
Probably spelled as Yvie or Evie and used as a nickname for Yvonne or Evelyn or even Eve.

When Pokemon was first released I actually found it weird that Eevee had a name that sounded like a real girl's name (Evie) :p

OwensJB

Heck no that would be cruel. I might name my kids after human Pokemon characters but that's as far as I would be willing to go.