• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Would you wanna be able to drive a car in a Pokémon game?

• Total voters

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan

I personally think it'd be great to have a car in a Pokémon game.

The Pokémon World would be great to drive around in. And who is to say driving a car will make it unlikely for a Pokémon to attack?

I mean they can clearly still attack if you're riding a bike very fast, so why couldn't they when someone is driving a car?

It'd be great. Some of you might say the protagonist of the games is too young to be driving a car, but he doesn't have to be.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Lol I 've thought of this mechanic before.

You would get 6 cars during your adventure, ranging from buses to rally ones.

You would drive on a highway that is all around the region you explore, but also in the big cities, infinite gas.

What do you think?

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
Honestly, I say no even though I am a massive automotive nut.

My reason being that it takes away from the experience of walking around a region and exploring places that cars cannot even get to.

Short and sweet.

Drive-by Pokemon battles FTW!

If GF started incorporating more roads in the games, then yes, driving a car would be cool!

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
I've never felt the need for a driving simulator in Pokémon and I still don't. Not saying I'm vehemtly opposed to it. I just don't see the point and I wouldn't use it. For me being in the world of Pokémon means actually being in the world by exploring it on foot or bicycle where you're still exposed to the elements and scenery of the world, not in the confines of an automobile. But that's just me.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Alright, how does driving a car in the Pokémon World make it less of an adventure?

And who says any of us have to follow the road?

If you watch the anime you can clearly see many people drive somewhere far from a road. So I don't see how we the players can't do the same.

So yeah I completely disagree with anyone who says that using a car somehow makes it less of an adventure.

Now I'm not saying any of you downright said that, but I'm somehow getting the impression that some of you feel that way.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Well people do have different opinions. That's what polls are about.

It does seem like an awkward inclusion to me, really. Driving a jeep into the tall grass to look for Pokémon(I'd be afriad of accidentally turning a Zigzagoon into road kill).

It could be a route-only travel system but Fly and the bike work very well for that sort of thing.

One way that I could see cars being incorporated into play is if there was some sort of mini game related to a safari zone type of area in which the zone employees could drive as the player stands in the back of the jeep throwing pokeballs at pokemon that they happen to drive by. I'm not sure why this would be necessary(for safari zone purposes) but I suppose it could be done.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Well, you can also use a bike to harm the Pokémon with the bike's wheels.

Ah yes, we'll that is true. My statement comes from the properties of a car compared to that of a bike. A car has a much greater surface area as well as much larger wheels making it more likely that a trainer in a car would hit an unseen Pokémon than a trainer on a bike(taking the height of the grass into account as well as the lighting conditions, of course). In addition to this, the car's considerable size means that not only is it more likely to hit a living thing in the field it is also more likely to be lethal and cause serious harm due both to the car's considerably larger mass as well as the higher speeds cars are capable of reaching. Past the fear of some players who add in role play elements to their Pokémon journeys, portability would also be somewhat of an issue unless the trainer is provided with a Batmobile-esque calling system.

Granted, I doubt Game Freak would include the probability of hitting and injuring Pokémon with a vehicle. This is more of a meta concern.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't think a car really fits with the adventure aesthetic very well, it's too large and a standard car probably isn't going to work very well off road. Also, it doesn't seem like it could do anything unique to justify having it, and we already have Running Shoes, Roller Skates, and the Bike so it would be fairly redundant.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Ah yes, we'll that is true. My statement comes from the properties of a car compared to that of a bike. A car has a much greater surface area as well as much larger wheels making it more likely that a trainer in a car would hit an unseen Pokémon than a trainer on a bike(taking the height of the grass into account as well as the lighting conditions, of course). In addition to this, the car's considerable size means that not only is it more likely to hit a living thing in the field it is also more likely to be lethal and cause serious harm due both to the car's considerably larger mass as well as the higher speeds cars are capable of reaching. Past the fear of some players who add in role play elements to their Pokémon journeys, portability would also be somewhat of an issue unless the trainer is provided with a Batmobile-esque calling system.

Granted, I doubt Game Freak would include the probability of hitting and injuring Pokémon with a vehicle. This is more of a meta concern.

Still though, I doubt many Pokémon would have problems with a car.

Tauros could easily run into a car and that would most likely damage the car more than it damages the Tauros.

The same can be said about a Rapidash and Rhydon. And I'm sure many others.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
Yes, though that would mean you would need to reshape the footpath routes in the game to be more like real paved highways and tarmac roads (which would be more realistic anyway). But yeah, there's nothing stopping you from pulling over to the side of the road, hopping out, and spending a few minutes in the grass to catch/battle Pokémon before heading back into your car to keep going. Of course, there would be plenty of areas that wouldn't be accessible by car so you'd probably need to park just outside the entrance of each cave/mountain/forest, but when it comes to going from city to city, driving a car to get there would be a pretty cool feature.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Still though, I doubt many Pokémon would have problems with a car.

Tauros could easily run into a car and that would most likely damage the car more than it damages the Tauros.

The same can be said about a Rapidash and Rhydon. And I'm sure many others.

Many Pokémon aren't that durable. Think of hitting a full sized stag with your car as you're driving down the road. The stag is still liable to die. Many pokemon are much smaller than that and are because of this harder to see and in greater danger. I'm saying that it would be awkward and a meta concern for some players.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind? To me, it doesn't really fit my idea of that Pokemon is about hiking on treacherous mountain trails, but I wouldn't throw a fit about it either. If they found a way to make the feature fun, why not?

Personally, I'd rather ride on my own Pokemon over a car.

Keysmash

buys meat
For me, the magic of Pokemon has always involved trekking with your Pokemon on lone roads in the mountains, or biking through the city streets, capturing the sense of childhood adventure it's always been about. I wouldn't exactly have a tantrum (hopefully), but it'd kind of ruin my ideals of what the series should be about.

MarinaS

sinnoh queen
I'm gonna have to say that, no, I wouldn't. I think part of the fun is exploring the region on foot/bike with your pokemon. We already have real life to drive in a car anyway. :p

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Pokemon is aimed at teens. You can ride a bike from the moment you can walk. You have to be almost an adult to drive a car.

How long would a route have to be to warrant driving a car along it? Would you need to buy fuel to maintain the car? Would you be able to drive it around the inside of a mountain? Would it fit in your bag?

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
No. It would take away the adventure fun imo (mostly more safer in car when traveling) and it just doesn't seem as exciting driving around the world as it is on foot. I mean, I could always not use the car if they added it, but I just wouldn't care about it. I don't really see how it could add in the games ether. Bike is more than fast enough and Fly gets you almost any place instantly.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I can tell that not a lot of people like my idea, which I'm totally fine with.

I thought the fact that the protaganists weren't adults yet was the only reason you can't drive a car in the Pokémon games.

But you guys pointed out many more reasons.

Yeah Pokémon attacking someone in a car is not the same thing as on a bike.

I haven't changed my mind, I still would love to drive a car in a Pokémon game. But I will admit though that you guys brought up some valid points on why it wouldn't work.

I got nothing to add to what I already said, so yeah.

Last edited: