• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Wow... it's actually pretty good." [read more inside]

Cobalt_Latios

I'm sure this has happened to just about anyone. You either hear adverts for this one show and aren't exactly sold upon it, due to either: a) the channel it's on, b) the possible "it's been done before... to death", or c) the style of it isn't something your too keen on (mainly for animated material); or you keep seeing stuff for it on the channel itself, and you're really not sure it's any good (or you could outright hate it, which everyone does at some point).

And then... you're flipping through channels (or, attempting to kill some time before a good show is on), and come across one of the above. You watch it... give it time... and then you start to actually like it. Maybe it's because it's well written, or it just has something you really like about it.

Or you then hate it more, and now you have a reason for not liking it (also possible).

But really, this thread is basically for you to list, or name, any show that you really had doubts about before watching it, and then bothered to and found out it wasn't actually as bad as you thought; and in some cases, you actually really do like it.

Note: TV, Movies, or Cartoons. I'm wondering if Anime's should be mentioned... but a thread for just that might be a bit overkill. But hey, if someone thinks I should, then by all means, let me know.

C_L

ckayer11

Steel User
I've recently been watching the TV show Community on NBC and it's a lot better than I thought it was gonna be. I hope this is the kinda stuff you were talking about people posting ^_^

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Chowder on Cartoon Network. When I first saw the commercials and the kind of humor the show was going for, it looked really unfunny and unappealing. When the show started airing and I actually sat down to watch an episode, it turned out to be one of the funnier shows on the network. I really dig the art style, too. Same goes for Flapjack.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I originally didn't have that great expectations about Total Drama Island. I watched the commercials for it and thought, "that show will never measure up to sixteen."

Now, I'm addicted to that show to an unhealthy extent.

Actually, the same is true for Pokemon. Only in that case, I was convinced that it was bad, because my father said it was really violent. After watching it, I slowly managed to get over my notion that it was taboo and bad and all, and came to like the franchise (which included the series for a while).

Come to think of it, this is true for most of the TV series I've come to like.

Malcolm in the Middle: I considered it a "boring adult show" as a kid.

6teen: The commercials showed enough of Caitlin to make me think the show was much more focused on her than it is, and that bugged me. Now, I like the show, and Caitlin doesn't bug me so much.

Popular: It came around one December on Family, and my parents watched it first. It was one of those shows my sister started liking first, and then I liked it as well.

Friends: Like Malcolm, I believed it to be an "adult show".

Family Guy: Mostly, my mother would insist I turn it off when it came on. I considered it extremely idiotic for a lot of the time, but now, it's fun enough while I wait for something good to come on.

Corroded Arceus

Shiny Hunter
I thought the same about the movie "Avatar". I was expecting it to be some macho gun flick... but I was very impressed by it when I went to go see it.

Penguinist Trainer

I work 9 months out of the year, so I don't get to watch a lot of tv. Well this winter, I've been tuning into a bunch of shows that I've heard people raving about for the longest.

One of those shows I actually liked less after watching it because I think it is way over-hyped. The show I'm referring to is The Office. People kept saying it's so funny and I should watch it, and I watched a marathon of the show completely stone-faced. I didn't even crack a smile. I thought the acting was terrible, the show was boring, and the jokes were just pathetic.

Another show that I actually found to be more enjoyable was Scrubs. I'm not a fan of medical shows. But I heard a lot of people say good things about this, so I tuned in 1 night. I thought the show was hilarious. I thought the jokes were good, and the interactions between the characters was believable. I enjoyed the 1st episode so much, that I've been watching re-runs every night at 1am.

Profesco

gone gently
Hmm, for me, it was Better Off Ted. It didn't look like much of anything when I was simply getting hearsay and commercials. I ended up watching it, though, and I find it absolutely hilarious. I recommend it to al my family and friends, even. I love the show's sense of humor. X3

Lol, "Lem-basted" and "Phil-ibustered" and "Ted-ucated." XD

Mimori Kiryu

I'd have to say Chowder. I couldn't stand the jokes and it just looked really stupid; that along with Flapjack. My friend was obsessed with Chowder and kept repeating the jokes from the show and after awhile, I thought, "Why the hell not? I'm not going to lose anything..." so I watched it and now it's so cute. Chowder is adorable and the jokes are so creative and funny. Though I still don't like Flapjack. It's just...weird and kinda dirty.

...We can include animes, right? =P

Anyway, I remember when I first heard of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I wasn't totally sure about it. I mean, I didn't plan on liking -- heck, even watching it -- but, after watching the first episode, I was hooked and wanted more.

The same for Inglourious Basterds. When I read the description, I didn't think it would be all that interesting. But, after my older brother rented the DVD, and I sat through it... Well, needless to say, it ranked up pretty high for great movies I've seen recently.

Last edited:

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I remember Jerry Springer was entertaining (and not only that, high ratings) back in the old days, and now it's pretty meh, because the episodes were scripted (don't know about the KKK part, though). Even then, it still sparked decent ratings.

I remember Jerry mentioning in an interview that most are real, but once in a while they do a painfully obvious scripted episode.

yeminied

My friend said he would watch Avatar: The Legend of Aang every morning because it was so good. I didn't believe him, I thought it was just some silly kids show that had this rebel kid with tattoos running around doing random stuff when I sat down to watch it.

I was blown away, it was great, the storyline is really good and believable most of the time, the characters personalities are great and it does prove to be hilarious at points.

I couldn't believe that I hadn't sat down to watch it earlier, I still watch the occasional episode now.

Geist

Great Old One
Supernatural, for a simple reason. The trailer we got for it in Germany looked like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzNlOl2J_Qc
Seriously, who would watch a show that was actually like the trailer depicted it? 2 guys with a shitload of guns kill clishèd monsters in silly looking overdone run-of-the-mill action movie style. Thank you, but no, thank you. Fortunately I found nothing else to do at the time and watched the first episode. Which actually was not remotely like the sub-par trailer, fortunately. Now it's probably my favourite show at the moment.

Mel-Girl

left. right.
Ah... I didn't get the YuGiOh fad and I found it boring and then one day, I sat down watched it alongside YGOTAS and was like, "rofl this is amusing I actually like this." Yeah. I thought similarly about Lucky Star, that it was gonna be bad. It's not what I call great but I ended up sorta liking it.

Same with Glee too. I heard it was popular and so that somehow turned me off it but then I watched it and really liked it. So yeah. I disliked the concept of Twilight and now it just amuses me because the fans and those who hate it make me lol. Oh I hate the last book though I did tolerate reading the books more than I thought I would. =/

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Spectacular SpiderMan. I saw the ad for it when it was coming out, and the art just looked like it was going to be EXTREMELY kiddy. Then last summer, my friend linked me to the first 2 Seasons on YouTube, and I loved it.

Too bad there hasn't been any news on a next Season...

zipzap713

@Peteyism
Hmm, for me, it was Better Off Ted. It didn't look like much of anything when I was simply getting hearsay and commercials. I ended up watching it, though, and I find it absolutely hilarious. I recommend it to al my family and friends, even. I love the show's sense of humor. X3
Oh man, that show is great. I don't watch it that often, but every time I do, its surprisingly clever and witty. Very funny.

The show I like, is Chuck. Don't know why some people don't like it, but I assume that those people don't really give the show a chance. Its a top notch show, with clever writing, interesting characters, and full of hilarious and awesome moments blended in with clever cult and pop culture references.

When Modern Family was going to premiere on ABC I seriously thought this TV show was going to be very unfunny and very unoriginal. So I decided to watch just to see how it is and there wasn't really anything on Thursday. But it turned out to be hilarious and it was a rare thing seeing me actually watching the whole thing (I usually just change the channel because it's a boring part) But there wasn't nothing boring about it. It may have some unknown people but it was still funny. The only part that gets annoying is when they do the interviews. I'll definitely recommend this show to people. And for a warning this show is very addicting lol.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Everybody Loves Raymond- I didn't think it was going to be that good but it turned out to be funny

Friends- Don't know what stopped me from watching this one but when I watched the first episode loved it

Two and a half men- I thought it was just some boring shows but found it hilarious

Smallville- I didn't like Superman that much so I didn't think I would like Smallville, first episode and I loved it (It was in S2, I think Chloe's the one that won me over lol)

Flashforward- Wasn't too sure about this but thought to watch it and got hooked

Desperate Housewives- I actually thought in the beginning this was just a lousy reality show but I watched it and find it to be good.

Glee- At first I didn't think Glee was going to be that great but I had nothing much else to do so I watched and got hooked.

And there's plenty more shows Buffy, Supernatural (At first I wasn't going to watch it), Angel, Charmed, NCIS, Numb3rs, Criminal Minds and others.

Cobalt_Latios

I can say from experience that there are a few shows I can say I had my own doubts about before watching it... and later liked it quite a bit (hence my idea for making this topic).

- Avatar: The Last Airbender. Really didn't care much about it at first. Then my sister and her friend watched it online, which prompted me to do the same. It's now one of my favorite shows.

(the next two you may have never heard of, but they're good)

- Di-Gata Defenders. I wasn't too sure about the premise of it, but I eventually got into it quite a bit.

- Spider Riders. I remember cringing a few times each time a saw an advert on TeleToon for it. Premieres on KidsWB, bother watching it, ends up being half decent.

- Jimmy Two Shoes. I've honestly stayed away from shows like this for a while (with the "15 minute episode" format for each airing). However, I eventually decided to give this a shot, and I must say it was a worthwhile decision.

- TDI/A. Not a favorite, but it did end up being better than I initially thought. I can easily watch it now, but it's not a favorite.

That's all I can think of right now.

Also, now that I think about it, I suppose we could add Animes here as well, just make sure you only choose one; that way it's in the minority.

C_L