• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Writing Flashbacks

PokeN3rd

Not Gem King Kilik
Hi! I'm new around here, so that might explain why you've never heard of me. I'm a new writer getting into writing fan fictions, but I have a question before I go on with writing my own. That question is: How do you write flashbacks?

Myself, I've seen a lot of different ones. Some are in a third person story but they go to first person for the flashback, which I almost find confusing. Others stick to third person in a third person, or first in a first person. How do you choose which perspective to use when writing?

What is the process for writing them? If you're writing from third person perspective, do you write it like you would a non-flashback? Should you use italics when writing them? My final question, should the main character acknowledge the flashback or not?

Thanks for your time, and a quick search for a thread like this didn't come up so I figured it was alright to post it. Sorry if there was one and I missed it.

Super_Nerd

Writer of Stuff
Ah, flashbacks... how I adore thee.

IMO, flashbacking in first-person from a third-person story rather defeats the purpose; you might as well have the character narrate the entire experience and call it a day. I tend to think of them as being like any other scene, just set in the past.

The rest of your questions are pretty much the choice of the author, I think; I tend to italize mine, and lead into them by having a character start to think about the events in question.

Phantom Kat

Hobo Writer
I agree that changing perspectives for flashbacks is weird. The change from third-person to first-person and back can completely mess the story flow and the mood you want to set if you're not careful. Plus, it may send off the message that the author can't make up his mind or doesn't know how he wants the story to go.

Many people italicize their flashbacks, but I've seen some people put something like {Flashback} {End Flashback}. As long as the reader knows when a flashback begins and ends, it doesn't matter, I think. Also, it depends how "professional" you want your story to look.

Mmmh, well flashbacks that aren't acknowledged by the character can be a good way to reveal more of the character's past or experiences without having him to basically narrate his life story. It can also tell the reader a piece of information that another character might discover later on, giving the, "Omg, he/she doesn't know! How will he/she react?" feeling. However, if the story is in first-person, I can't help but think that these non-acknowledged flashbacks will be as though the character is blatantly telling the reader their life story. :/

- Kat

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
One of the things people tend to forget is that a flashback is just a scene. As in, it's just a regular scene; the only thing that sets it apart from the rest of the story is that it's out of order chronologically. Still, it really shouldn't be any different from the rest of the story. I mean, I guess you could italicize it if you really want, but the entire breaking out of perspective thing? It's abrupt and feels like the flashback isn't part of the story, if that makes sense.

Now, on to the question for how to write it. Personally, I don't like the flashback tags because it feels like it beats the reader over the head with something that should be obvious through the narration itself. That and it tends to break the flow of a story because they frankly tend to be out of nowhere. What I mean to say is that rather than using tags, try using transitions. Have the narration say something along the lines of, "John Doe closed his eyes, and as he drifted off to sleep, he began to recall the events of a few months ago." Then, break the scene and move into the flashback. Alternatively, if you're doing it in first person, you could start off the flashback by having the narrating character say, "Five months ago, we were in a similar situation" or "I remember when" and continue on with the rest of that particular memory. Of course, there's other ways you can transition, but I'm just offering pretty basic ideas.

(Incidentally, concerning the perspective question, it depends on what you want to do. I personally prefer third person because I find it easier in some ways to remove myself from the characters and allow myself to show the reader something a single character would never have a chance to see, but other people might want first person in order to get in the minds of a single person. In any case, once you choose a perspective, you really should stick with it. There's only one work I've read that switched perspectives, and it did it to show a division between four different factions in the story. In other words, it had a really, really good reason for doing it like that.)

As for whether or not characters should acknowledge flashbacks, that depends on how they're happening and what the tone of the story is. If it's a humorous tone and the character is awake but merely spacing out, it's entirely possible for the flashback to end with another character snapping them out of it, only to have them say something along the lines of, "Sorry. Spaced out." (This happens a lot on Scrubs, for example.) If it's a serious fic and the character actually stopped to recall whatever was in a flashback, you could either have them acknowledge it (if the revelation in the memory is particularly important) or just have it be shrugged off (if the character felt like it wasn't important or if they didn't focus on it -- probably due to remembering it in their sleep or something similar). However, there's also the possibility that you could simply tell the story out of order -- that is, bring in a scene from the past and plop it into the storyline where it's relevant (like how half the film Memento is presented), so the characters wouldn't acknowledge it because they're not actually stopping to remember anything. It's just that the narrator (who might be a separate entity) is recalling things by folding the story back in on itself.

TL;DR bit short, the last few questions (concerning what perspective you use and how you do it) is all up to what you need for the story. Just remember that, no matter what perspective you do it in, you've got to do it smoothly -- as in, good transitions so that the flashback fits into the narration, rather than sit out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by tags.

Hope that helps a little, and sorry for the wandering thoughts every so often.

PokeN3rd

Not Gem King Kilik
Thanks guys, you pretty much answered most of my questions. Unfortunately, more have been brought to my attention. I realize that you can start a story with a flashback, but how would you even start writing that one?

Let's say, for instance, that a flashback is describing a scene where the main character is watching his father become champion on TV. After that, he is sitting in his bed, but he doesn't acknowledge the flashback. Would it go something like..

Flashback here describing the main character watching TV

Main Character closed his eyes and lay down on the bed, tired and ready for a good night's rest...

Or is there a better way to do it?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Hmm. Because it looks like you're telling the story chronologically (as in, the first scene is the one where the MC is watching TV, and the scene that follows it is the next one in line), it looks like it's a regular scene change, really. If you're talking about more of gap in time between the first scene and the scene that comes after that, it'd probably be best to just do a scene break and establish how much time passed between the first scene and the second scene in the first line of the latter, if that makes sense. (Shorter gaps probably don't need much of an introduction so long as it's clear to the reader that the scene doesn't take place at the same time or even location as the one that comes before it.) If not, my best advice would be to pick up the first Harry Potter book. Regardless of what some people might say about it, it's got probably the best example of treating a time gap that I've read yet (wherein the first scene starts off eleven years before the main events of the story, whereas the the second scene is quickly established as taking place in present day).