• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Writing Resolutions

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
It's that time of year again! Do you have any writing goals you want to shoot for in 2019? Fanfic or otherwise, anything's game!

I'm too scared to go back and look at what I posted in last year's thread--only just realized I got a whopping four chapters out in all of 2018. Ouch. This year, I want to post at least one piece of Salvage content a month, whether it's an extra or a new chapter.

I'm also resolving to write more original work this year... much more original work. I'd also like to get together at least one short story for submission per month as well.

It'll be a lot of work, but I'm going to do my best! At the very least I know I can beat four chapters posted, seriously...

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
To not let the topic creator keep sweeping the rug out from under my feet at the last possible second.I kid, I kid.

I would definitely like to try and finish drafting Guiding Light (or, at least, the rest of the main story) before the end of August, since that's when I'll have hit the one-year mark at my current job and expect my workload to get larger as a result.
Well, this post aged poorly.

... god damn it. Welp, same resolution... ish. I just want this thing to be finished drafting this thing. I really hope I could get it all done before Gen VIII comes out and this is all completely overshadowed but that's looking less likely. :(

Write a LOT more. I took a hiatus from Pokemon fics and hardly wrote any other fics last year, and I’m kinda miffed about that, so I’m gonna try and be way more productive. AND I already have! I started writing a little something based on Akiba’s Beat, which is a fun challenge since I get to write both the good bits and the bad bits (which I’m trying my best to make better aaaa)! I don’t know if I’ll remain consistent with it, or even post it, but I’m having fun so I don’t mind really.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Lol I think the only resolution I kept last year was that I updated one fic--twice, shockingly enough. Here's to hoping I can keep that resolution going into this year. xD

DeliriousAbsol

Call me Del
Looking at last year's goals, I managed to finish Reboot in 2018. I also started reading and reviewing more, even if it wasn't weekly like I'd said I'd try to do. I'd also set myself a goal of 1000 words minimum per writing session. Well, that must have sown a subconscious seed, because that has been my goal whenever I've sat down to write this past year! So much so, I guess I was beginning to think I'd always done it. I recall some rare occasions where I didn't stick to it, but I've powered through most of the year I believe.

I'm going to keep up my minimum word goal. Making it higher doesn't really seem worth it.

I didn't start an original project - unless you count Pokemon:Life as a means of building on my original Frost and Wire universe. That was the plan behind the experiment, after all, and I should really finish that story! I won't set an 'original story' goal this year, as I don't think I'll stick to it. I'll let them come to me in their own good time rather than forcing it.

New goals - I think I'll try to write more one-shots, after I've got The Mask Behind the Monster finished. They're fun, and I like using prompts.

I'll also try to finish writing Life and getting that out. Provided Article 13 doesn't throw a spanner in the works, I will also aim to get the first chapter of Outbound up before Summer. She says. With no idea how long her Sonic-themed side project will end up.

Reading more 'fics, too. There's some I seriously need to catch up on. The Deli revamp is another goal, but I'm not saying it's a resolution per-se. Setting it as one might give me a solid kick up the tail, though.

canisaries

sometimes i get a deadache, yeah
Well, here is some stuff I wanna do:
- streamline my writing process and learn the concept of a "first draft" rather than looking to make the finished product from the get-go
- learn to do arcs
- write lots and different kinds of characters
- e x p e r i m e n t e
- read and review more stuff
- write something completely OC or at least non-pokemon and put it up somewhere.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Looking at my last year's resolutions, welp didn't do well there. I still have a fair bit of stuff to write until Foul Play is finished. Very disappointed I only posted 2 chapters last year (Chapter 5 why so long ;_; ). I did write rough drafts for Chapters 6-8 though, and it shouldn't be long now until Chapter 6 is posted after my beta gets to checking it. Also I haven't really read much published novels like I wanted orz.

This year I'll try to make as much progress on Foul Play and post at least more than 2 chapters. I have 3 in backlog and am writing/rewriting another chapter so that should be fun. Perhaps also start planning another fic idea that's been on my head since late summer last year.

NebulaDreams

A Dense Irritating Miniature Beast of Burden
I did really well in 2018 in terms of writing as I made a lot of progress, so I hope to continue that streak with this year too. My goals are:
  • Write 1,000 words a day.
  • Finish The Curious and the Shiny.
  • Branch out into other stories as well with more novellas.
  • Gather ideas for an original novel.

unrepentantAuthor

A cat who writes stories
Write daily, even if it's just the little daily prompts, non-fiction or otherwise, in the cute little handbook I got for xmas.
Post some DE content monthly again.
That's probably enough to be getting on with, honestly! But if I can manage, I'd also like to read/review/post here more, and to do some work on some other projects.

Dragonfree

Just me
My biggest resolution is just to get more reading and reviewing done. I'm about to finish a book that I've been reading, and I should be able to wrap up the QftL commentary that I've been doing no later than sometime in the summer, so certainly no later than that I should have plenty of time freed up to spend reading more of all the fanfics that I've been meaning to read and reviewing more actively on the forums.

Actual writing-wise, I may or may not start the Morphic rewrite this year? I hope I can at least finish the ridiculous Morphic AU extra that I've been working on on and off. But mainly, for now, I really want to get into more reading.

The Walrein

Last year, I only had one writing-related resolution, which was to write at least something every day, even if it was just a single sentence. I managed to follow it every single day starting somewhere around the middle of January, if I recall correctly (I didn't start making a record of it until February 26th), until September 4th. After missing one day on September 5th, I kept it up until September 12th and then just gave up on it completely for the rest of the year.

This time, I'm going to try for week-based goals, which will hopefully be more robust against having the streak broken by a single bad day. My resolutions are as follows:

1. Write a thousand words every week.
2. Write at least one review every week.
3. Respond to any reviews on my stories within a week of receiving them.

Platina2000

Only things I want to do is finish the stories I've started many years back. I have at least 9 fanfiction stories that I've pretty much abandoned because I just can't stay focused anymore.

Last edited:

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's slipped up on my writing, heh. I don't think I'll get Drowning finished within the year, but ideally I'd like to post it more, aiming for once a month or at least once every other month. I know this isn't great, but 2017 was a bad year for me and drained me of any motivation to really try anything out and it wasn't until the second half of 2018 that I felt any motivation to write again. I'm hoping to have more time on my hands I can devote to writing and posting. I also have some Drowning extras in mind, but I think those would probably make more sense for after I finish posting the fic itself. And I want to keep up with the fic i'm currently reviewing and review more fics and especially one-shots. I also want to finish some old one-shots I started drafting a few years ago.

Non-fic wise, there are two books I'm currently reading (both spiritual, though one is instructional and the other is written almost like a novel) but I'm hoping to finish at least one by the end of January and the other within a few months. After that, I want to get back into reading fiction and fantasy. That was the source of a lot of my ideas and helped shaped me as a writer, and I can see the effect not reading has had on me.

I'm also considering writing a re-boot of Drowning. I realize that my old chapters are a very different style from my current ones and I feel like it probably turns more people away. But the thought of going back and re-writing all that when I still have so much to do is daunting... I've been meaning to make a thread asking about this. I've also been meaning to make a thread about the four temperaments in fanfics. I'll probably do that soon!

DarkerShining

Well, I guess my resolution is probably similar to last years: Make more progress on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Reflecting Balance and try to get more chapters out this year than I did last year. I guess I'll also add hopefully getting to a certain point in the story that I've been planning out since I first had the idea for PMD: Reflecting Balance. It should only take a few more chapters before I get to that point, so I think there's a good chance I might be able to finally reach it. Either way, I'll do my best!

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Do more reviews
Drabble Dex updates
Get back to Change of the Season
More non-news articles on Daily and dex entries on Zine.

That's the aim, we'll see how I go!

GastlyMan

Ghost Type Trainer
Mainly, I'm trying to finish two original novels (just the first drafts for now) by the end of the year. It would also be nice if I finished a second draft of a novel I wrote for Camp NaNo a while back. Because I haven't gotten beyond the first draft of anything at this point.

I would also like to resurrect my old Pokemon fanfic and actually start updating it again, but who knows when that will happen. :p It's in serious need of planning so that it doesn't fall into disorganization or illogicality, and some of the characters need rounding. In tandem with that, reading more is imperative for me. I find that my writing quality goes downhill very quickly if I'm not reading regularly, so I need to get back on that.