1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

WSC Week 50

Discussion in 'Fan Sprites' started by Insidious_Dreamer, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insidious_Dreamer

Insidious_Dreamer Dreams = Reality

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    A New Week, A New Contest!

Theme: Basic Forms

Medium: Pixel Over

So as we approach the final week before the birthday celebrations, let's start with this being a week ending in a '0', thus something special. And I have chosen a pixel-over idea I was given awhile back by
    Fused. The idea was simple, take a basic form, one that has yet to evolve, and do a pixel over. The image size can be no larger than 500x500 pixels and other than that, you can only choose from the Johto (2nd gen) 'mon. Just you wait til next week when things start to get interesting!

Also, please remember there are no glows at all. And, if your having issues, ask away.

Enjoy peoples!

2. klnothincomin

klnothincomin Kyogre ate Leafeon.

Probably the most obvious questions that I believe many people will ask anyway, so here they are:

Are our entries to be interpreted during the second generation period only, or do you need to consider the evolutionary forms discovered in the later generations as well?

As in 'yet to evolve', do you mean by the Pokemon has no evolutionary form that's been discovered, or is a basic egg-stage level?

Legendary Pokemon are accepted choices?

3. Insidious_Dreamer

Legends are of course basic forms so yes, and from the second generation point of view, Sudowoodo, Chansey, Mr. Mime, Wobbuffet, Marill, and I think that's it are considered basic forms....

4. [aka]

[aka] Well-Known Member

Hmmm...a pixel-over, you say? I've always wanted to try...and a celebration of Johto is perfect for my return....I'm in!

P.S. I'm baaaaack! :D

5. Insidious_Dreamer

Great to see ur back, my friend. Looking forward to the work you produce!

6. -Raiga-

-Raiga- Well-Known Member

I do realize the medium is a pixel over, however are we limited to only using images that exist already, or can we make out own pose?

If we are limited, I think that everyone should be forced to link to what they referenced from, that way we can see whether the person did it themself or not. As well as see if the shading they did was good, or wheter they just copied the shading of what was there originally.

7. Insidious_Dreamer

-Raiga-, an excellent idea. I should have thought of that myself as it's one of the old rules that are supposed to be part of the WBC.

Yes, please place a link to the original image that you are pixelling over and then make sure that if the image is a fan-image, that you have the owner's permission to use it.

8. [aka]

[aka] Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing that up, -Raiga-, and for clearing it up, I_D.

I probably would've gone ahead and done it without asking! Now...to find a masterpiece...to DeviantArt!

EDIT: This just in, folks, I'm crazy.
    I_D: Are we allowed to pixel over any representation of a Pokémon? Also, are babies/pre-evolutions considered "Basic?"
    If so, dibs on Tyrogue! :D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  9. Insidious_Dreamer

Careful about making this a chat thread [aka], its for asking questions and submitting entries...

10. aclover

aclover VICTORiOUS

hey just asking but can we do pokemon like magby elekid and topepi?

11. pikadude43

pikadude43 Well-Known Member

yes they are basic forms

12. Fused

Fused Shun the nonbeliever

Actually, Pokemon like Magby, Elekid, Smoochum, Tyrogue, Pichu, Cleffa and Igglybuff are all baby Pokemon, and not Basic. They were designed after already existing Pokemon to be pre-evolutions and released after their evolved "Basic" forms. Togepi is not a basic Pokemon as it was released alongside Togetic and as a Basic stage.

13. aclover

aclover VICTORiOUS

so maby/elekid DONT count?

14. Will-powered Spriter

Will-powered Spriter Pokédex Complete!

That of course depends if we are going by TCG stages. I don't think I_D does that, but I could be wrong.

15. Nick Alert

Nick Alert Helplessly Confused.

What exactly are "basic forms"?

16. MetalFlygon08

MetalFlygon08 Haters Gonna Hate

the original evolutionary form of a pokemon, such as Pikachu, Pidgey, Magmar etc. but it's still vauge, as the baby forms are considered by others baisic.

17. Leafreon3809

Leafreon3809 I'm back!!!

I don't understand what "pixle form" is.

18. -Raiga-

-Raiga- Well-Known Member

You've mixed up two different phrases, but I'll try to answer both depending on what you meant.

If you meant pixel over, then a pixel over is where you take an drawing or digiatal art, and replace all the shading and linework with only a few shades. So basically turning a picture into a gigantic sprite.

If you meant basic form, well, it seems that its still undecided but its pokemon like pikachu, sandshrew, magikarp, and the such that start out their repective chains orginally.

To the people arguing about the basic forms, I have to say I'm really getting irritated by the fact the same people every week are trying to figure out ALL the odds and ends to what pokemon they can use when they could just use one of the other hundred choices they have to pick from. Really, no matter what pokemon you pick, your spriting skill will be the determining factor anyways.

19. Insidious_Dreamer

Leafreon, try looking up what 'pixel art' is, and then see if google has an answer for 'pixel-over'. If it doesn't, you take an image of a pokemon (a good example of these are those images on the TCG cards, and then you change it pixel by pixel and add shading and whatnot to make it a pixellated version of the image. Edit: -Raiga- out ninja'd me, his answer is more to the point...

For all who are wondering about the 'basic' forms. Yes technically they are the original evolutionary forms of the pokemon. As such, this excludes Magby and Elekid, Cleffa and Igglybuff, Smoochum, Pichu and Tyrogue. However, both Togepi and Togetic were released together, in terms of the generations, regardless of how the animé portrayed it, and even though it evolves in a similar manner to the rest of the 'baby' 'mon, it is considered the basic form of that evolutionary chain.

20. Will-powered Spriter

Will-powered Spriter Pokédex Complete!

FIRST STRIKE!

[​IMG]

What better Pokemon to do then the site mascot

Edit: This is the original art, by Ken Sugimori: [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.