• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

X/Y OU Team In need of some changes

BrianOnLineID

So I have used a couple different pokemon and I have been using these six lately.

Sylveon
leftovers
calm
cute charm
252 hp, 252 spdef, 4 spatk
wish
moonblast
toxic
protect

Sylveon is my spdef wall/stall pokemon. I have a problem with other stall pokemon and anything I'm weak against, but sylveon has won me more than a few matches.

Whimsicott
timid
leftovers
prankster
252 hp, 252 spe, spdef 4
leech seed
taunt
encore
substitute

This my support pokemon. I got this set from the youtuber Etika. I really like it because I have been able to mess up some pokemon with encore and taunt! I really needed taunt because I would all ways get beat by letting the other person set up and sweep. The problem with this set is that I cant go against anything I'm weak to. At all.

escavalier
bold
assault vest\chesto berry
252 hp, 252 def, 4 spdef
drill run/pursuit/infestation/rest
knock off
iron head
x-scissor

I REALLY like escavalier! Such cool pokemon! I used to run a resto/chesto set, but I didn't want to have 2 resto/chesto pokemon so I give it an assault vest instead. Both seem to work well. Escavalier is my physical defensive pokemon. Knock off is a great move and one I need on my team. X-scissor and iron head are pretty basic attacking moves. I can't seem to figure out a fourth move when I'm using an assault vest.

gyarados
gyaradosite
mold breaker
adamant
252 atk, 252 spe, 4 hp
dragon dance
waterfall
earthquake
ice fang

I wanted a fast and strong water type and Mega gyarados is pretty good. If I get to set up with dragon dance I can take out a few pokemon late game. I really don't like that my typing changes when I mega evolve.

rotom-wash
chesto berry
levitate
calm
252 hp, 252 spdef, 4spatk
will-o-wisp
volt switch
rest
hydro pump

Pretty basic rotom-wash. I like the rest/chesto berry combo. People know how to counter it so that sums up any problems I have with it. That and this guy likes to miss alot.

Infernape
choice band
iron fist
jolly
252 atk, 252 speed, 4 spdef
u-turn
thuder punch
flare blitz
close combat

So I actully had a typhlosion here but I need a fighting type so I thought infernape would fit well being fire/fighting. Some problems I have are: he can't take a hit.

So that is my team right now. As a team my biggest weaknesses are entry hazards, baton passers, blissey, both mega charizard forms, volcarona [hate this guy sooooo much] and...most OU pokemon. I find that I like to use pokemon that I think are cool but aren't the best for OU battles. Sorry for any mistakes or confusing things. Its late and I should be sleeping but these days all I seem to think about is pokemon battling. Thank you for reading this. Please feel free to comment on my team. Any advice is good advice.

Last edited:

VerntheNoivern

ALOHAAAAAAAAAAAA!
well..... gyrados mega was a big disappointment to me. i mean, flying swapped for dark? not a good trade. usable, but not the best idea i would go with mega scizor or charizards instead. gyrados is a pretty basic thing to counter. outspeed it, hit it hard, real hard (close combat can do that now.)

Infernape: get rid of gunk shot. u don't need it (imo) and probably never will considering infernape has really strong attack. replace that with close combat. Bingo. (or drain punch, which gets the iron fist boost.)

whimsicott:the thing u fought might have had higher speed IVs.

If you still want a good water type than you can try azumarill. Huge power! AQUA JET! OHKO! you get the point.

the thing is you have a rotom wash so u dont really need another water type. your mega slot should be something like absol. absol mega comes with better speed and magic bounce... and a super-cool design. worth using.

that's all i have to say.

BrianOnLineID

well..... gyrados mega was a big disappointment to me. i mean, flying swapped for dark? not a good trade. usable, but not the best idea i would go with mega scizor or charizards instead. gyrados is a pretty basic thing to counter. outspeed it, hit it hard, real hard (close combat can do that now.)

Infernape: get rid of gunk shot. u don't need it (imo) and probably never will considering infernape has really strong attack. replace that with close combat. Bingo. (or drain punch, which gets the iron fist boost.)

whimsicott:the thing u fought might have had higher speed IVs.

If you still want a good water type than you can try azumarill. Huge power! AQUA JET! OHKO! you get the point.

the thing is you have a rotom wash so u dont really need another water type. your mega slot should be something like absol. absol mega comes with better speed and magic bounce... and a super-cool design. worth using.

that's all i have to say.

First thank you VerntheNoivern for your reply! I agree with you on Mega gyrados. It has helped alot so I'll keep him in mind for another team. With Infernape I have gunk shot to counter any fairy types, but I will try out both close combat and drain punch. Mega absol sounds like a great idea [and it does have a really cool design!] I will definitely try her out! Although I have no idea what ev's or moves mega absol can use.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

I don't really think you understand how Mega Gyarados works. Yes, his typing is arguably much worse, but its ability is, offensivel fantastic. Mold Breaker turns some would-be counters, such as Rotom-W, Mega Venusaur, etc. into mincemeat. Mold Breaker allows it to nail Rotom-W with Earthquake, hit Mega Venusaur for SE damage with Ice Fang, and be one of the few Pokemon that can reliably 1HKO Dragonite through Multiscale without the aid of Stealth Rock.

Basically, while Mega Gyarados might not be the overwhelming improvement like the Mega Charizards, Mega Pinsir, etc., it does still manage to be a threat due to the fact that it can actually beat many of regular Gyarados's counters, and vice versa. This is what makes it an interesting mega.

To that end though, if you're using Mega Gyarados, you should drop Outrage in favor of Ice Fang. It takes care of the Dragon types just as well, in addition to Grass types that it gains a weakness to.

Mega Absol, on the other hand, despite supreme offenses, does not have good synergy between its ability and its stats. It's really somewhat lackluster due to its extreme frailty, which makes Magic Bounce a bit unreliable on it since it really can't switch into offensive attacks.

Consider Choice Band Infernape.

Infernape @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
Iron Fist
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Thunder Punch
-U-Turn

Keeping Gunk Shot for fairies isn't really necessary, since most fairies are slammed hard by CB Flare Blitz, except Azumarill who doesn't like eating Thunder Punches.

BrianOnLineID

Update1

So I tried out mega absol and...it was ok. I was using a jolly fast physical sweeper set with knock off, protect, fire blast and superpower. I really like leading with absol, then mega evolving and using protect. This along with magic bounce is a great counter to entry hazards, but other than that I feel like mega absol isn't very good. At least on this team. It could also be my move set. I will try a couple more matches tomorrow.

BrianOnLineID

Thank you KillerDraco! I'm using ice fang now on mega gyarados and at is pretty sweet! I also used your Infernape set and it is working pretty well! I'm still not the biggest fan of close combat because of the stat decrease so I will try drain punch and see how that works.

Edit: So Infernape can't learn drain punch so I will keep close combat. Also mega pinsir is no joke.

Last edited:

Skullkraken

Masuda Methodist
1. It might be too late since it's an egg move, but Pursuit could be an option on your Escavalier to trap in Ghost and Psychic types. Maybe Infestation if you want to chip away at the opponent.
2. For Whimsicott, I usually run Stun Spore since it can paralyze ground types and Switcheroo to give the opponent a detrimental Choice item (which is kind of like encore but lasts after switch outs).
Since you have all status moves you are basically taunt bait though. Maybe add 1 attack or use Mental Herb if that works.
3. Most Infernapes run U-Turn. It could work well with your Rotom's Volt Switch

BrianOnLineID

1. It might be too late since it's an egg move, but Pursuit could be an option on your Escavalier to trap in Ghost and Psychic types. Maybe Infestation if you want to chip away at the opponent.
2. For Whimsicott, I usually run Stun Spore since it can paralyze ground types and Switcheroo to give the opponent a detrimental Choice item (which is kind of like encore but lasts after switch outs).
Since you have all status moves you are basically taunt bait though. Maybe add 1 attack or use Mental Herb if that works.
3. Most Infernapes run U-Turn. It could work well with your Rotom's Volt Switch

Thank you Skullkraken for the advice! I'm using pokemon showdown to test out the team before make them so nothing is too late. I will try both pursuit and infestation on escavalier. To tell you the truth I was thinking about removing whimsicott from my team. I really am taunt bait and I feel like people are ready for it when I switch it in. Also it can't seem to take a hit. I was think about using mandibazz. It can learn defog, taunt and it has really good defense. I will test out your suggestions before I make a final decision. U-turn on Infernape is great!

Last edited: