• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

X/Y sprites: the making of

noobiess

6 different pokemon
X/Y sprites

The new generation of pokémon has arrived. Since the graphics are all 3D now, we are forced to say goodbye to the beloved sprites.
But it doesn't have to go that way! We, as talented artists, can make a change by making the sprites ourselves.

So help with this project to bring sprites back!

Rules for making the sprite:

- All the sprites should be made in firth gen style. This means a size of 96*96 and a maximum of 15 colors.

- The front and the back sprites should match. This means that the pokémon should stand similar on both sprite but just facing the opposite way.

- It is preferable to make a static sprite first and when the sprite is approved, the animation can be made.

- For the MEGA-evolutions, it is better to edit the existing 5th gen sprite. If the design is too different to do so, you can start from scratch.

Rules for posting:

- Everybody can post a sprite or a comment. Also you can choose all pokémon (that aren't finalized yet) to sprite even though it is already done (but try to avoid this ^^).

- It is eligible to edit a sprite posted on this thread to improve it. After all, we are all working together as a team.

Finalize a sprite:

- When a sprite of one pokémon (front,back,shiny,gender difference) is finished, a post can be made where it clearly stands to 'finalize' the sprite (preferably in bold text). The supervisors will check the quality of the sprite. If it is approved it will appear on the first page of this thread and it is the official sprite.

- No new sprites can be made for a finalized pokemon (or these will be 'ignored').

Can I use this sprites?

The answer is yes! You can always use the sprites but we would appreciate it if you give some kind of credit. Referring to the thread (or artist(s) that made it) would be very kind. By doing this, it could also maybe inspire other artists to join this project and provide even more 6th gen sprites.
The only thing that isn't acceptable is claiming the sprite to be your own (except if you made it of course ^^). The artists worked very hard on it and 'stealing' a sprite would crush their spriting spirit.

So that are the rules for this project. If there are any questions, you can always ask them here.

We also still need some supervisors to help with managing this project. If you feel called to do so, PM me for more information.

Here is a list of all pokemon that aren't done yet:
#651 Quilladin
#652 Chesnaught
#653 Fennekin
#654 Braixen
#655 Delphox
#658 Greninja
#660 Diggersby
#661 Fletchling
#662 Fletchinder
#663 Talonflame
#664 Scatterbug
#665 Spewpa
#666 Vivillon
#667 Litleo
#668 Pyroar
#669 Flabébé
#670 Floette
#671 Florges
#672 Skiddo
#673 Gogoat
#674 Pancham
#675 Pangoro
#676 Furfrou
#677 Espurr
#678 Meowstic
#679 Honedge
#680 Doublade
#682 Spritzee
#683 Aromatisse
#685 Slurpuff
#687 Malamar
#688 Binacle
#689 Barbaracle
#690 Skrelp
#691 Dragalge
#692 Clauncher
#693 Clawitzer
#694 Helioptile
#695 Heliolisk
#696 Tyrunt
#697 Tyrantrum
#699 Aurorus
#700 Sylveon
#701 Hawlucha
#703 Carbink
#707 Klefki
#709 Trevenant
#710 Pumpkaboo
#711 Gourgeist
#712 Bergmite
#713 Avalugg
#714 Noibat
#715 Noivern
#716 Xerneas
#717 Yveltal
#718 Zygarde

Here you can find the official sprites that are already made

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Since no one has kicked off this project, I decided to start. Here is inkay:
inkay2_zpsa4c09049.png

It was really hard to make since I don't have much to start with: only the official art and the 3D sprite. And they are a bit different compared to each other that I don't know on which I should base my sprite.
So I decided to lean more to the official art since I like it more :p.

Comments and edits of it are alwyas welcome ^^

Sour Monster

Looks awesome to me! :D I might try doing one later myself. Gotta wait for my daughter to take a nap then I'll give it a whirl.

Mew The Gato

Mega Lucario is not going to miss out on the action! Made new "head tentacles", increased the amount of fur around its neck, added the appropriate tail, made new spikes and some other things!

http://i40.*******.com/f5c7qo.png

For Mega Garchomp, I put red, put spikes on its chest, stomach, legs, hands, had to slim Garchomp's hands out to make the scythes, as the hands are slimmer than a normal Garchomp's, made the chin larger, and laughed at it later.

http://i43.*******.com/e6606g.png

Xerneas here! The main problem I see is the size. Is it possible to enlarge it without... uh... ruining the sprite?

http://i44.*******.com/osvadw.png >>> http://i40.*******.com/k4cqax.png

Mega Mewtwo X went through that transition. I think it was a minor one, but still an important one.

Also, I know they are all not 96x96, but I shall crop them later, when they become perfect.

Also, I think we should make a list for all the finalized sprites. None of mine are, though.

------------------------------

Noobiess, your sprite had slight problems. The shading on the fins was slightly abnormal. It gives the impression that light is coming from both left and right. What is the biggest problem, you ask? You made Inkay more asymmetrical than it should be.

inkay2_zpsa4c09049.png

The headdress, is where it goes assymetrical. This problem is just slight in the lower portion of the headdress, but the problem becomes major in the top part. Do you notice it?

I fixed those problems, and here is the modified sprite:

http://i39.*******.com/2mmcp6g.png

Also, this sprite is 96x96 now.

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
This is awesome, I'm gonna track this thread since I'm not so good at spriting myself.

You can still help out. Pictures of shiny versions, megaforms,... are always helpfull to make sprites that stand closer to the official designs.

AWildMew, I like how quickly you could edit the sprite. How you made the new internal shade of the fins looks way better, but the 'shade' on the lineart looks a bit weard now. I also think you overexagerated the wideness of the headdress. So I combined our sprite a bit together:

ezimba13269337554900.gif

For the other sprites, I think they are awesome but I also think there is some work left.

I'll only comment on MEGAlucario since I don't have too much time:
- The yellow fur goes further down then the normal lucario and you didn't adjust that.
- The 'earlobs' should be a bit longes and ,from what I get of the official art, they should go more downwards and be a bit more wavy.
- On the right hand (for us) there is only one spike visible while there are 2.
- The 'blue pants' are slimmer then that of the normal lucario.

Mew The Gato

AWildMew, I like how quickly you could edit the sprite. How you made the new internal shade of the fins looks way better, but the 'shade' on the lineart looks a bit weard now. I also think you overexagerated the wideness of the headdress. So I combined our sprite a bit together:

ezimba13269337554900.gif

For the other sprites, I think they are awesome but I also think there is some work left.

I'll only comment on MEGAlucario since I don't have too much time:
- The yellow fur goes further down then the normal lucario and you didn't adjust that.
- The 'earlobs' should be a bit longes and ,from what I get of the official art, they should go more downwards and be a bit more wavy.
- On the right hand (for us) there is only one spike visible while there are 2.
- The 'blue pants' are slimmer then that of the normal lucario.

Hm... I see.

I guess we all have to be meticulous here!

Also, Lucario has been edited with all your points in mind!

http://i44.*******.com/287n390.jpg

Last edited:

Sour Monster

Here's my attempt at Amaura.

amaura.png

Feel free to edit as you see fit, or don't use it if you feel it's rubbish! My first attempt at a sprite over. Not great at shading and whatnot~

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

amaura.png

Feel free to edit as you see fit, or don't use it if you feel it's rubbish! My first attempt at a sprite over. Not great at shading and whatnot~

It is quite good, but the biggest problem is size. Is Amaura a giant, bigger than Garchomp? No, it is a little dinosaur and its size should be closer to one.

We know its height in the Pokedex, correct? Well, see the sprites of Pokemon around the same height and resize the sprite accordingly. Otherwise, it looks quite good.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Wow AWildMew, it looks much better now. I only think you misunderstood one of my comments: with the fur, I mean the part on the other side (near the legs).
Sorry I can be a fusspot sometimes btw ^^ (or 'ant f*cker', like they say in my country :p)

I like the pixel-over Sour Monster. It looks nice :) My biggest concern is the size though.
Here is soms comparison with other pokemon
248.png
amaura.png
Spr_5b_581.png

I Always put a pokemon besides it of the same size when I'm making it. (It this case Swanna)
Here you can find a list all pokemon sorted by size: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w...ght#4.2703.22_-_4.2711.22_.281.3_m_-_1.5_m.29

Aswertyuiol, I didn't find any image with a shiny Inkay but hopefully it will come soon.

ps: just noticed AWildMew just posted the same ^^

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

Not a worry, my friend. I have been overloaded with artwork today, due to also having an art shop, but the good thing is that it is FUN!

http://i39.*******.com/2ihxekj.png

I rechecked the official artwork, and it does have the fur a bit longer. I have increased the amount of yellow fur based on the apparent proportions. It should look fine now.

I like the pixel-over Sour Monster. It looks nice :) My biggest concern is the size though.
Here is soms comparison with other pokemon
248.png
amaura.png
Spr_5b_581.png

I Always put a pokemon besides it of the same size when I'm making it. (It this case Swanna)
Here you can find a list all pokemon sorted by size: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/w...ght#4.2703.22_-_4.2711.22_.281.3_m_-_1.5_m.29

Aswertyuiol, I didn't find any image with a shiny Inkay but hopefully it will come soon.

ps: just noticed AWildMew just posted the same ^^

Greninjaed you!

Sour Monster

Ah of course, didn't think of size lol. I'll try resizing it tomorrow. :)

Mew The Gato

No need. I did it. Amaura is about as big as Swanna. My avatar is one of Swanna right now, so I guess I felt the need to do it.

http://i43.*******.com/288o9w7.png

The outlines have all been cleared. I tried to maintain the quality as much as possible.

EDIT: Improved the outlines and the left eye a bit.

http://i43.*******.com/1070vok.png

All for today. It is half past midnight. 0_0'

Last edited:

Sour Monster

Nice one, thanks. I'll try another tomorrow - I'll be sure to check sizes next time. ;)

Edit: Improvements looking good AWildMew. ^^,

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Okay, my Greninja Sprite that I made today!

http://i44.*******.com/w71mxw.png

The biggest problem in it is... slight untidiness.

I really like the pose and I think the sprite is well executed.
My main problem with it is also the untidiness. And I think this is caused because of 2 things: Firstly the blue color is a bit too dark to see what's going on exactly and it contrasts too much with the white (but that could also be because of my computer that doesn't exactly show the color how they are). The second thing is the size. I think it should be a little bit bigger so that the details of the design are more visible. And I know you already took the maximum size you could take in width but I think we could find a way around it. For example we could make the left arm go more backwards so it is smaller. Or we could make the tongue/scarf make other turns so it doesn't take so much space.
I also like it that you turned the official art to face it the other way. But maybe the head looks a bit too much to the other direction now. It doesn't bother me but I know from experience the other people usualy don't like it so much.

I like the new size of the amaura sprite btw, I maybe try to clean up the lineart a bit more but I'll see if I have enough time.

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

My main problem with it is also the untidiness. And I this is is caused by 2 things: Firstly the blue color is a bit too dark to see what going on exactly and it contrasts too much with the white (but that could also be because of my computer that doesn't exactly show the color how they are). The second thing is the size. I think it should be a little bit bigger so that the details of the design are more visible. And I know you already took the maximum size you could take in width but I think we could find a way around it. For example we could make the left arm go more backwards so it is smaller. Or we could make the tongue/scarf make other turns so it doesn't take so much space.
I also like it that you turned the official art to face it the other way. But maybe the head looks a bit too much to the other direction now. It doesn't bother me but I know from experience the other people usualy don't like it so much.

I like the new size of the amaura sprite btw, I maybe try to clean up the lineart a bit more but I'll see if I have enough time.

Hm... I see. Although I think not increasing the size would me more realistic, considering Greninja here is crounching down lower than it is in the official art.

Meanwhile, I have made a Meowstic Female Sprite! How could I resist spriting my favourite Kalos Pokemon and second favourite Pokemon overall?

http://i42.*******.com/mlnl2c.png

Last edited:

Sour Monster

Love the Greninja pose but agree it needs cleaning up a bit.
Meowstic female looks nice too. :)

Tried Spewpa today, hope the size is better this time. I took your advise and put a Pokemon the same size by it while I did it. Again unsure of my shading.

spewpa1.png

Don't know if I'm happy with the head shape either. Feel free to edit.

EDIT:
spewpa3.png

Made the head shading darker as I felt you could barely see it. Very minor change.

Last edited: