• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

X/Y sprites: the making of

Mew The Gato

http://i43.*******.com/in65py.png

Dragalge is also ready, if a bit small, although its body is really coiled up.

http://i39.*******.com/207kjex.png

Last edited:

Sour Monster

Think I'll work on Vivillon and Scatterbug next to finish their line. Just a heads up in case anyone else was gonna do the same.

Mew The Gato

http://i44.*******.com/2j3p5p5.png

And Aegislash may as well slice us all to pieces if we do not give it a form fast!

http://i43.*******.com/zohtw.png

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Wow this suddenly goes very fast ^^

I wanted to clean up the lineart of amaura but I ended up heavily editing it:
ezimba13269368461400.gif

I turned the body toward is more and made it a bit larger. I also scratched the head because it was impossible to turn it with the body (I don't know whether it is an improvement though)

Comments on the new sprites:
Meowstic I like it. Not much to say I think. I didn't check all the details but from the first sight they all look good to me.
Spewpa Wow. I adore it. I don't really like the design of spewpa but you bring the best out of it.
Fennekin It looks very clean. Even though it could have a more Original pose I think it fits fennekin very well
Dragalge I think it is a bit smal and 'as you say' coiled up. And that makes it really hard to see what is going on (even though I think it's partly due to the design of it)
Tyrantrum I looks amazing! The shading and line art look really professional to me :) The only thing that bugs me it that it is faced sideways. Sprites are normally used for the games (where they have to face to the other player) while the official art isn't (so they could let it face everywhere).And the problem is this:
ezimba13269348517500.png

Here it looks like tyrantrum will just run past Oshawott.

Also AWildMew, I think you upload/save your files wrong. Because when I look at them they are all smudged (they have like 100 colors or so). Mostly with me it is the same problem if I save them as GIF in stead of PNG. I also could be just my computer but I don't have the same problem with the sprites of SourMonster

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

I wanted to clean up the lineart of amaura but I ended up heavily editing it:
ezimba13269368461400.gif

I turned the body toward is more and made it a bit larger. I also scratched the head because it was impossible to turn it with the body (I don't know whether it is an improvement though)

Comments on the new sprites:
Meowstic I like it. Not much to say I think. I didn't check all the details but from the first sight they all look good to me.
Spewpa Wow. I adore it. I don't really like the design of spewpa but you bring the best out of it.
Fennekin It looks very clean. Even though it could have a more Original pose I think it fits fennekin very well
Dragalge I think it is a bit smal and 'as you say' coiled up. And that makes it really hard to see what is going on (even though I think it's partly due to the design of it)
Tyrantrum I looks amazing! The shading and line art look really professional to me :) The only thing that bugs me it that it is faced sideways. Sprites are normally used for the games (where they have to face to the other player) while the official art isn't (so they could let it face everywhere).And the problem is this:
ezimba13269348517500.png

Here it looks like tyrantrum will just run past Oshawott.

Also AWildMew, I think you upload/save your files wrong. Because when I look at them they are all smudged (they have like 100 colors or so). Mostly with me it is the same problem if I save them as GIF in stead of PNG. I also could be just my computer but I don't have the same problem with the sprites of SourMonster

Indeed! It does! We shall have all the Pokemon ready in no time like this! Also, by the way, are we going to put all the sprites in a gallery thread and put it up for everyone to use freely? It would really help all the artists who want to make team poses! Do you know why I made that Greninja? Because someone wanted a team pose with it in it!

First of all, thank you.

Indeed, that is true, Tyrantrum may run past Oshawott, but, its left leg implies otherwise and so does its eye. Also, you said "I looks amazing!" instead of "It looks amazing!" XD

Also, you missed Aegislash. ^^;

Also, the new Amaura looks really good, but there is a slight problem. Its left leg (The one facing us) should be slightly longer. It ends up as asymmetrical, otherwise.

Last edited:

Sour Monster

Much prefer your new Amaura!
I'd be happy to let people use these. :)

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Indeed! It does! We shall have all the Pokemon ready in no time like this! Also, by the way, are we going to put all the sprites in a gallery thread and put it up for everyone to use freely? It would really help all the artists who want to make team poses! Do you know why I made that Greninja? Because someone wanted a team pose with it in it!

Indeed, that is true, Tyrantrum may run past Oshawott, but, its left leg implies otherwise and so does its eye. Also, you said "I looks amazing!" instead of "It looks amazing!" XD

Sorry XD Sometimes I confuse 'I' and 'It' by being fast. (And somehow my computer changes words automatically on this forum and I don't know why)

I also don't have any problem that people use it. I'll put it in the first post and say that they can always refer to this thread as credit (but that it is not necessary).

Aegislash I really like it. It looks very official :) But again the pixels are smudges out. Hopefully it doesn't is the same on your computer because I know that is a hell to get the 'clean' version' back.

Mew The Gato

I also don't have any problem that people use it. I'll put it in the first post and say that they can always refer to this thread as credit (but that it is not necessary).

Aegislash I really like it. It looks very official :) But again the pixels are smudges out. Hopefully it doesn't is the same on your computer because I know that is a hell to get the 'clean' version' back.

I do not know why it smudges like that... is the sprite fine in terms of view in normal circumstances?

Also, Honedge!

http://i43.*******.com/2nkm8aq.png

Sour Monster

I do not know why it smudges like that... is the sprite fine in terms of view in normal circumstances?

Also, Honedge!

http://i43.*******.com/2nkm8aq.png

Nice but looks a bit blurry to me.

Here is my first draft of Vivillon in Medow pattern.

vivillon-medow1.png

Not sure if I am happy with it. Any comments? I'll do the other patterns too once it's agreed this one is as good as it can be.

EDIT: Outlined the eyes with black to make them 'pop'.

vivillon-medow2.png

Mew The Gato

Here is my first draft of Vivillon in Medow pattern.

vivillon-medow1.png

Not sure if I am happy with it. Any comments? I'll do the other patterns too once it's agreed this one is as good as it can be.

EDIT: Outlined the eyes with black to make them 'pop'.

vivillon-medow2.png

First thing: It is too big. This titan is as large as Arceus.

I made a Vivillon Sprite, too! Note that I considered the fact that its wings counted as its Pokedex height. This is not an edit of your sprite, but a new sprite altogether.

http://i44.*******.com/8xn7rq.png

Last edited:

Sour Monster

First thing: It is too big. This titan is as large as Arceus.

I made a Vivillon Sprite, too! Note that I considered the fact that its wings counted as its Pokedex height. This is not an edit of your sprite, but a new sprite altogether.

Ah right. I had butterfree and Dustox for size reference (I know Butterfree is smaller). Wasn't sure if the wings counted. >.<

Mew The Gato

I am pretty sure I saw a picture with Fletchling and Vivillon battling in the anime. Their bodies were about the same size, but the Pokedex lists Vivillon as much bigger, so I am pretty sure that the wings do count.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
Honedge Looks really nice again ^^ But also this one is blurry. It is hardly seeable but it is really difficult to work with since it has so much colors (which isn't like the official sprites + makes is immensly difficult to recolor it for the shiny for). I suggest you figure out the cause of it before you make new ones. Also you should check if your original sprites also are blurry (or if it is just the uploading that is causing trouble)(ps: I noticed that your MEGAforms didn't have that problem so it must be something that you used differently afterwards). Because if the original images are 'damaged' I think I might have a way to make them fine again.
Vivillon I really like yours Sourmonster but like AWildMew said, it is too big. AWildMew's version also looks nice but that one looks a tad too small. For the wings it is no problem but it seems so weard that the body is so shrunken.

Mew The Gato

Honedge Looks really nice again ^^ But also this one is blurry. It is hardly seeable but it is really difficult to work with since it has so much colors (which isn't like the official sprites + makes is immensly difficult to recolor it for the shiny for). I suggest you figure out the cause of it before you make new ones. Also you should check if your original sprites also are blurry (or if it is just the uploading that is causing trouble)(ps: I noticed that your MEGAforms didn't have that problem so it must be something that you used differently afterwards). Because if the original images are 'damaged' I think I might have a way to make them fine again.
Vivillon I really like yours Sourmonster but like AWildMew said, it is too big. AWildMew's version also looks nice but that one looks a tad too small. For the wings it is no problem but it seems so weard that the body is so shrunken.

Perhaps this is strange. My computer does not show them have as many colours as you describe. For example, I can safely say that the variety of colours in the Vivillon sprite is around the same as Sour Monster's sprite's... in my computer, it looks less like the blurriness is about colours and more like it is about the details.

The official artwork and especially 3D Model does have the body that small in comparison to the wings, as opposed to things like Butterfree. Considering Butterfree's sprite's relation with its official artwork, this size should be fine for Vivillon.

Last edited:

noobiess

6 different pokemon
And what happens when you copy your sprite from this thread into paint? (Maybe you could try uploading with another site (like ezimba or photbucket))

Yeah it just feel very strange since the body of the prevolutions are much bigger then.

EDIT: here is the leg extended:
ezimba13269368461400.gif
-->
ezimba13269331210400.gif

Ps: I'm going to begin on the back sprites of amaura and inkay next (so changes about the front sprite would be better to do now)

Last edited:

Mew The Gato

Yeah it just feel very strange since the body of the prevolutions are much bigger then.

It does not mess up. I just tried. I am not old enough for Photobucket and do not know how to upload in Ezimba... is it the "Load Image" option?

Indeed. I was thinking of the same thing. Also, both its pre-evolutions have the exact same body size. Spewpa is just covered in white fur.

EDIT: here is the leg extended:
ezimba13269368461400.gif
-->
ezimba13269331210400.gif

Ps: I'm going to begin on the back sprites of amaura and inkay next (so changes about the front sprite would be better to do now)

Also, I think the neck should be a little thicker.

Last edited:

Sour Monster

I tried resizing my Vivillon.

Vivillon-small-medow.png

Shame the size means you can't see as much detail lol.

EDIT: Outlined head in black as I felt it merged in with the shadows.

vivillon-small-medow1.png

Monek_OP

bernie2016
Wow, may I just say : these are great! I'm going to stalk this thread from now on! Are these up for signatures? Because I'd love a completed Vivillion ...

Mew The Gato

I am glad you appreciate them. These sprites are for any use, just like official sprites. Credit is is appreciated, but not necessary. Noobiess has confirmed this.

We currently have two Vivillon:

vivillon-small-medow1.png

Credit to Sour Monster and me, respectively.

Last edited: