• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Xbox 360 hard drive help

Cloneydew2000

WildScraggyAppeared!
Hello there.
So, I just got my first Xbox 360, a new 4gig Xbox 360. If I were to realise all of my dreams of games and DLC, I would need more than 4 gigabytes. I assume what I need is an external hard drive, but what I ask is this; do I need an Xbox specific external hard drive, and if so, where can I get one? If it helps, all I would use it for is downloading and saving games and downloading DLC.

Pyroli

Banned
360 is a pretty lenient console, it will let you use an Xbox 360 specific hard drive, or a usb for storage. Do you have the slim, elite, or original? I have a 4 year old Original Xbox 360 with 10 GBs of regular storage, a 60 GB Xbox 360 hard drive, and a 64 GB usb plugged into the front. As long as you properly install the USB when it prompts for it, you should have no issue saving your games. However, I did notice that because certain games needed the download into your console (like GTA V), the USB will not allow you to download them to it and will instead prompt for an actual hard drive so I'd reccomend getting any storage you can, especially with that limited memory.

I have a library of about 25 games and I'm only using around 50 GB of all my space, however my 360 Console itself is full due to some of my small Arcade purchases and all the apps I have downloaded to it. You can get a hard drive for it just about anywhere actually, I bought my 60 GB at Future Shop, however I know they also have them at Walmart. The USB option is viable for now, but beware of games with download prompts like GTA and Destiny.

I'd recommend around a 40GB, however some DLC can be MASSIVE; so plan accordingly. I can recall one of my DLC being around 4GB on it's own.

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
I think a 360 HD is recommended due to it has a less of a reading "problem". I think it's faster, and some games also require it, if I'm not wrong.
Although, I haven't had any problems with Pendrive. I use a 32GB one for saves and my DLCs. But I play veeeery few games. I think Mogar is quite right; Buy a bigger one.
And Its "reading" time is enough... I honestly don't see a problem. Not a difference.

EDIT: Bad Engalish is bahd

Last edited:

Aura Sensei™

User Title
You don't have to get a hard drive that is made by Microsoft; there are third party hard drives you could find on Amazon or eBay. Only problem is that if you have an issue with it, Microsoft will be unable to help. Me personally, I use two flash drives, and they work fine. The only issue is you can't play certain games such as Titanfall or Destiny, unless you have a hard drive. Those games would require a hard drive however I don't know why. A word of advice though, if you go the flash drive route (which is usually cheaper), Digital Copies are not a good idea, as they take a hefty amount of space. Buy the discs if and when you can. I have the Digital Copies of GTA V and CoD Black Ops II and they take up the majority of my space.

edit: Saw Mogar's post above. You don't need a hard drive to play GTA V, a flash drive will work as long as it is a USB 2.0 or 3.0.

Last edited:

dragonskull

Dark trainer
The reason you're unable to use a USB drive for certain games is because of their file system requirements being higher than the FAT32 file system your USB drive is using. I have no experience with the XBOX360 console but I'd say that's the root of the problem most of the people answering have. As for the problem you're having with only 4GB of storage, I would say that you get a XBOX360 hard drive if you're in desperate need. Or use a USB drive that's formatted to a NTFS file system. You can format drives/external media on a windows pc rather easy but make sure you have backed up any data you want to keep on the USB drive if that's the case. Go to "My PC" or "This PC" in windows. That should open up an overview of the hard drives and any other external media on your computer. Right click the drive you want to format and select the option "Format...". The window that opens then gives you certain options. Ignore the capacity since you can't really change it here. The next option is choosing the right File System. Choose NTFS here. Leave the Allocation Unit Size on 4096 bytes. After all that start the formatting (Quick Format will not use eager zeroing while formatting). When the formatting is finished you can use the USB drive again. I'm not 100% sure this option is going to work though since I don't own a XBOX360 and am unable to test this. But it's worth a try I think if you have some excess usb drives (4GB+) laying around that you're not using anyway.