• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Xbox One Thread

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Since Sony won't do it even with 3rd party games I'm not sure how companies will get away with it on X1 on so I'm not worried.

Here's the thing though. Adam Sessler had a video up about why people shouldn't pre-order any next-gen consoles at the moment. I don't have the link to the video right now, but you can probably find it on youtube. Granted, I don't entirely agree with everything he says there, because you can pre-order one for 20 to 25 bucks and just cancel it later on. But some things he said did strike a chord with me.

I've said this before, and I'm gonna say it again, because I have to give a reality check here. ReviewTechUSA brought this up in a video, and it's pretty much what I was thinking (I think he may have even mentioned Sessler's video too). To paraphrase, it doesn't matter what Sony's saying in those articles about not having DRM, and what Sony's talking to GameStop about, etc etc. If there is a MAJOR RELEASE, say Destiny is coming out. Now I'm not saying this will happen with this particular game, but I can see it happening with other games. Say a major company was going to have DRM on the XBox One, I guarantee you that Sony would let that blockbuster title on the PS4 with the DRM. If a major game is coming out and the company went to Sony and said, 'Look, you either have DRM or you're not getting the game', it's gonna have DRM. There's no way it isn't. Anyway, watch the video, because it's really a hard point to argue.

Also remember there was a major crisis point in console gaming in the 80s. It was called the Video Game Crash, considered one of the biggest industry nightmares of its time. Gamers essentially got fed up with the poor quality of the games and the way companies were doing things, to the point where they said 'screw it', and switched to PC games instead. I don't think most of today's gamers realize just how close console gaming came to being wiped out for good.

[ACE] Zero

Just Sayin..
Here's the thing though. Adam Sessler had a video up about why people shouldn't pre-order any next-gen consoles at the moment. I don't have the link to the video right now, but you can probably find it on youtube. Granted, I don't entirely agree with everything he says there, because you can pre-order one for 20 to 25 bucks and just cancel it later on. But some things he said did strike a chord with me.

I've said this before, and I'm gonna say it again, because I have to give a reality check here. ReviewTechUSA brought this up in a video, and it's pretty much what I was thinking (I think he may have even mentioned Sessler's video too). To paraphrase, it doesn't matter what Sony's saying in those articles about not having DRM, and what Sony's talking to GameStop about, etc etc. If there is a MAJOR RELEASE, say Destiny is coming out. Now I'm not saying this will happen with this particular game, but I can see it happening with other games. Say a major company was going to have DRM on the XBox One, I guarantee you that Sony would let that blockbuster title on the PS4 with the DRM. If a major game is coming out and the company went to Sony and said, 'Look, you either have DRM or you're not getting the game', it's gonna have DRM. There's no way it isn't. Anyway, watch the video, because it's really a hard point to argue.

Also remember there was a major crisis point in console gaming in the 80s. It was called the Video Game Crash, considered one of the biggest industry nightmares of its time. Gamers essentially got fed up with the poor quality of the games and the way companies were doing things, to the point where they said 'screw it', and switched to PC games instead. I don't think most of today's gamers realize just how close console gaming came to being wiped out for good.
Too bad we have improved significantly since the 80's (technology wise) so I find it hard to imagine a similiar event happening nowadays.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?

But you know, about that. I really don't think another crash is going to come around any time soon. Were smarter than we were back then and gaming has become such a huge part of American culture that it would take a lot more than this to get it to crash. And most people wouldn't know much about it because there isn't really a chance for it to happen. I did a research paper on the topic, and its really hard to even compare today to then. That crash happened largely due to the over saturation of shovel-ware and people just stopped liking games that came out, that's really not an issue right now. Game companies are still making games that people like.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
But you know, about that. I really don't think another crash is going to come around any time soon. Were smarter than we were back then and gaming has become such a huge part of American culture that it would take a lot more than this to get it to crash. And most people wouldn't know much about it because there isn't really a chance for it to happen. I did a research paper on the topic, and its really hard to even compare today to then. That crash happened largely due to the over saturation of shovel-ware and people just stopped liking games that came out, that's really not an issue right now. Game companies are still making games that people like.

Let me ask you something. If a company makes less than it costs to develop their hardware and software, what do you think will happen? Anyway, the thing about the Video Game Crash is really a footnote more than anything else. Just remember that no industry is ever 'too big to fail'.

My main point is that companies aren't just going to have DRM on one console and let the other console slide without having DRM. And Sony isn't going to just pass up on a big blockbuster title, because of DRM. I'm happy that they're not ramming DRM down consumers' throats. But I have to be realistic here. Companies want to make money. And passing up on big titles isn't going to make them money.

I've said before that I'm going with the PS4. However, thinking that Sony is going to somehow be totally exempt from DRM when the big titles come around is just plain gullibility (unless they don't have it to begin with). I would be surprised if there aren't at least some games that have DRM on that console.

Last edited:

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
[ACE] Zero;16082727 said:
Too bad we have improved significantly since the 80's (technology wise) so I find it hard to imagine a similiar event happening nowadays.

Not quite.You'd be surprised by how many technological advances in the video game industry were killed off by the '83 crash. Not counting the greatly improved graphics, game manufacturers of today have just finally caught back up.

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
It would be stupid for Microsoft not to do this, even they must have finally realized this.

The console war has been re-sparked apparently (if that article is true).

I know they'd be complete morons to not do this. But I have trouble believing it because Microsoft has consistently defended the Xbox One and showed no signs of relenting to the consumers' demands. Right now, it's looking to be confirmed. A few of my friends are flipping chairs over it, and Angry Joe is talking about it on Facebook and Twitter. It seems their servers have crashed. But here's a sreencap Joe posted via someone else.

EDIT: It's official!!!!
No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped

Last edited:

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Does this mean that you can't play games without the disc anymore? That sucks, because one of my discs broke today and now I have to pay $60 to replace it, and I was really looking forward to that not being a problem in the next generation.

Last edited:

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
It looks like they've dropped most of their infamous policies unfortunately, it's too late.
Looking across the web on this they've lost gamers respect, too bad.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
It looks like they've dropped most of their infamous policies unfortunately, it's too late.
Looking across the web on this they've lost gamers respect, too bad.

Its a big thank god that they did this but I agree...I think it's to late. They should have done this at E3, it would have been much better,but their reputation is already scared. I think it'll take a long while before they will get it back to. Trust has been hurt and trust is what they need to get back.

But thank you Microsoft for finally realizing you screwed up, although they didn't even mention that or even apologize...

empoleon49

Dawn's number 1 fan™
It would be stupid for Microsoft not to do this, even they must have finally realized this.

The console war has been re-sparked apparently (if that article is true).

There goes their whole ''we-know-what-we're-doing'' idea :/ Still it was foolish to EVER try to put DRM in a console, so it's good to it's being removed, just damages their credibility.

Waterpokes

Smart move by Microsoft by taking off the restrictions. Kudos for the timing of this announcement, with PSN being down.

I'm pretty sure many people are jumping back onto the Xbox train after this. The Xbox does look more appealing then it did before, and I might actually consider getting one in the long distant future. Probably not at launch though. I'm gonna wait and see what direction Microsoft is going post-launch. Perhaps they might add the restrictions on after quite some time. It will be an interesting November, that's for sure.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
while its nice to see Xbox changing most of the stuff people were upset about, i'll still be getting a PS4.

i want to try out Infamous and play other exclusives i missed out on.