• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XD Orre Colosseum Team

RJ OVO

Returning Leader..
Hey all, I thought that while 5th gen wi-fi battling is so prevalent I'd try and tackle an old challenge - namely, the XD Orre Colosseum.

This is my first foray into making teams for double battles. I tried to stick with a general team that can hopefully support each other and survive well in an environment where fast, deadly attacks rule the roost.

I tried to stick to the general rules of 'Smogon's double battle primer', by including plenty of support such as fake outs, helping hands and screens to ensure my Pokes survive. I tried to make sure they didn't get in the way of each other (protects and earthquakes abound!) as well. So without further ado, my team:

FYI I tried messing around with a few EV spreads in Pokemon Online, just as I heard that investing a few into defensive stats makes more of a difference in doubles. So some of them may seem a bit unconventional. Do please let me know if they should be changed I'm open to any and all suggestions.

emespr105.png

Marowak @ Thick Club (Rock Head)
Adamant
176 HP/200 Atk/28 Def/104 Sp. Def

Bonemerang
Rock Slide
Double Edge
Protect

Bonemerang for the sub breaks, Rock Slides for a bit of coverage, double edge to utilise its ability and protect for lack of a better 4th slot. It seems I'll need it judging from Orre videos I've seen in the past!

emespr121.png

Starmie @ Petaya Berry (Natural Cure)
Modest
52 HP/ 24 Def/ 212 Sp. Atk/ 32 Sp. Def/ 188 Spe

Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Surf/Hydro Pump
Reflect

What, no psychic or recover? I figured I'd use Starmie to hit hard and fast and provide one half of the screens for the battle, since they're so very handy in Orre. Otherwise, standard boltbeam and STAB fare. Have considered hydro pump for the sole purpose of maximum damage (by targeting one opponent) compared to surf.

emespr145.png

Zapdos @ Lum Berry
Calm
252 HP/ 32 Def/ 220 Sp. Atk/ 4 Spd

Light Screen
Protect
Thunderbolt
Drill Peck

The latter two moves for STAB, protect for...well, protection from any errant selfdestructs from Snorlax. Light screen for the sp. def boosts my team may need.

emespr197.png

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Sassy
252 HP/ 120 Def/ 136 Sp. Def

Helping Hand
Toxic
Wish
Substitute

My first supporter, wish can help most teammates or itself recover, while substitute can keep it safe enough to do so. HH for the boost teammates may need to pull off their assaults and toxic for a status spreader. Since switches aren't as common, toxic would be perfect for residual damage here I think.

emespr143.png

Snorlax @ Choice Band (Thick Fat)
Adamant
28 HP/ 196 Atk/ 88 Def/ 196 Sp. Def

Selfdestruct
Shadow Ball
Earthquake
Body Slam

Standard choicelax set here, body slam over return because I just love my status inducers :p

emespr297.png

Hariyama @ Lax Incense (Thick Fat)
Adamant
84 Atk/ 212 Def/ 212 Sp. Def

Helping Hand
Fake Out
Brick Break
Rock Slide

Cross Chop is illegal with HH here, hence why I chose Brick Break. Body slam to help my other members gain a speed advantage, and the others for support.

I realise that not very many EVs (or team members) have been invested in speed, yet I mention that doubles is very speed reliant for the most part. When making teams for challenges such as this in the past I have often forgotten about the glass cannon nature of the Pokemon I often use. Instead I opted here for survival tactics, with screens, flinches and statuses aiding in this.

There's my team for ya, I would love any feedback, especially as barely anyone plays OU doubles on PO...I doubt anyone even tries their hand at Orre anymore! But I'm in this for the long run! I will gradually amend this post as I get suggestions from other members.

Thank you in advance,

RJ OVO

• Rounded out Starmie's moveset with an option for Hydro Pump
  • Cut Sp. Def EVs from Zapdos' spread and invested them all in Sp. Atk instead.
  • Hariyama's HP and Spe Ev's are now in Attack
  • Hariyama has Rock Slide instead of Body Slam to counter any fire types

Last edited:

broly145

Haunter Fan
XD Team (Still need to figure out the rest of my team LOL)

;232; (Male) Lv. 35
- Rollout
- Earthquake
- Swift
- Rock Slide

;136; (Female) Lv. 35
- Flamethrower
- Ember
- Quick Attack
- Dig

RJ OVO

Returning Leader..
XD Team (Still need to figure out the rest of my team LOL)

;232; (Male) Lv. 35
- Rollout
- Earthquake
- Swift
- Rock Slide

;136; (Female) Lv. 35
- Flamethrower
- Ember
- Quick Attack
- Dig

With all due respect I don't think it's fair that you reply to a rate my team thread by posting your own team. You should make a new thread (and one with a complete team according to the rules at least) because it's unfair on people that have been waiting days to have their own team rated.

Run Hydro Pump on Starmie rather than Surf. Unless you can't hit your teammate with it.

This would make sense, maximizing damage and such. And in this gen surf does't hit the teammate, only in 4th. Are there any other glaring problems with the team as a whole? Thanks for feedback so far

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
I would ditch Zapdos' SpD EVs and pour them into SpA. You have Light Screen to cover special defense, and if I'm right the AI don't EV train, nor do they have decent IVs either. I would also get rid of Hariyama's HP and Speed EVs and put them into Attack, since it's Base HP is good enough and 28 Speed investment is negligible.

RJ OVO

Returning Leader..
I would ditch Zapdos' SpD EVs and pour them into SpA. You have Light Screen to cover special defense, and if I'm right the AI don't EV train, nor do they have decent IVs either. I would also get rid of Hariyama's HP and Speed EVs and put them into Attack, since it's Base HP is good enough and 28 Speed investment is negligible.

Now that makes a lot of sense to me, I'll definitely change those EVs around. How about the movesets? Are they fine or do they require more work? I don't know about Wish on Umbreon but then again rest would render it immobile for a few turns which just wouldn't favour doublesm..

Oh and I'm sure they have perfectly distributed EVs and IVs in Orre Colosseum and all other major ingame challenges I.e. Battle frontier and most of Battle Mode in colosseum, its what makes them so difficult. If they just had good teams I'm sure moderate EVing would make it a breeze :p

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it!

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Now that makes a lot of sense to me, I'll definitely change those EVs around. How about the movesets? Are they fine or do they require more work? I don't know about Wish on Umbreon but then again rest would render it immobile for a few turns which just wouldn't favour doublesm..

Oh and I'm sure they have perfectly distributed EVs and IVs in Orre Colosseum and all other major ingame challenges I.e. Battle frontier and most of Battle Mode in colosseum, its what makes them so difficult. If they just had good teams I'm sure moderate EVing would make it a breeze :p

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it!

Thanks for the heads up on their EVs and IVs. This website (txt file) has all the opponents' Pokemon.

(NOTE THAT IT CONTAINS THEIR ATTACKS, EVS, IVS AND ITEMS SO IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS DON'T OPEN :))

From what I saw in the file, the opponents are a force to be reckoned with. Above average IVs and some decent EV spreads. Wish is a good idea for Umbreon, just be mindful that you have to switch out to spread the benefit around. When looking at this, I saw Substitute and I thought that Baton Pass could be viable, since you can pass subs. In saying that though, you would have to forgo HH or Toxic. HH is great for the 50% attack boost, and Toxic means Umbreon is completely harmless. If you want to consider BP, I'll leave it to your judgement, you seem pretty onto it anyway.

I also think Hariyama's move coverage is a little shallow. I would replace Body Slam with Rock Slide, meaning you aren't a sitting duck against Ghosts, you become the perfect counter to Fire-types (due to Thick Fat) and to cover a Flying weakness. If you're not keen on this I fully understand.

Overall though, I think your movesets are great. They look very slightly unconventional like Reflect Starmie and Bonemerang Marowak but honestly I don't think this will matter. I too like to be unconventional with movesets like Light Screen Metagross and Extransensory Zapdos but I think if you go with what you have/ plan to have, you'll be sweet.

RJ OVO

Returning Leader..
Thanks for the heads up on their EVs and IVs. This website (txt file) has all the opponents' Pokemon.

(NOTE THAT IT CONTAINS THEIR ATTACKS, EVS, IVS AND ITEMS SO IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS DON'T OPEN :))

From what I saw in the file, the opponents are a force to be reckoned with. Above average IVs and some decent EV spreads. Wish is a good idea for Umbreon, just be mindful that you have to switch out to spread the benefit around. When looking at this, I saw Substitute and I thought that Baton Pass could be viable, since you can pass subs. In saying that though, you would have to forgo HH or Toxic. HH is great for the 50% attack boost, and Toxic means Umbreon is completely harmless. If you want to consider BP, I'll leave it to your judgement, you seem pretty onto it anyway.

I also think Hariyama's move coverage is a little shallow. I would replace Body Slam with Rock Slide, meaning you aren't a sitting duck against Ghosts, you become the perfect counter to Fire-types (due to Thick Fat) and to cover a Flying weakness. If you're not keen on this I fully understand.

Overall though, I think your movesets are great. They look very slightly unconventional like Reflect Starmie and Bonemerang Marowak but honestly I don't think this will matter. I too like to be unconventional with movesets like Light Screen Metagross and Extransensory Zapdos but I think if you go with what you have/ plan to have, you'll be sweet.

Thanks for the file! I've read a few guides to their Pokemon and such but it was years ago. Now I'm going to try the challenge blind so it's more fun and surprising. Will force me to think on my feet and really measure my battling aptitude!

Yeah when sticking Wish onto Umbreon I wanted to actually forgo Rest because IMO that would've made it pretty useless. But I'm not a big fan of wishpassing if I'm honest but it's a good idea nonetheless.

And that's actually a fair point on Hariyama I totally forgot about the fire countering thing with Rock Slide/Thick Fat. The last thing I need is a ghost bothering me when it's him and something else out with a lack of coverage.

And thanks, I always try to break the norm haha! Why use the same old stuff and make it less interesting eh?