• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Xenoblade Chronicles/X/2 Discussion

LizardonX

Banned
#MONADO FRIDAY 8/29/2014

that is all.

spiderbrush

New Game Plus does have some glorious moments though. Specifically...

Dunban's "Monado" in the prologue, since whatever weapon you have equipped on him will be treated as the Monado in the prologue, and just have the Monado Symbol overlayed on the weapon where it would normally be on the Monado.

Totally worth it.

Ah, yes. I remember that! Ha, maybe I'll make a NG+ file... "just" to see that.

along with... *cough* a few other things... *cough*

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I've gotten up to Mechonis Field and now I'm just going around completing quests and getting Achievements. There really is a lot of stuff to do.

The "Fight something stronger than your party....and win." and "Pick a fight you have no hope of surviving....and ace it." achievements are kicking me all over the place though. Which enemy would be the best to fight to get these achievements? I've been trying to fight the White Hoxes in Raguel Bridge with everyone at Level 62 to do it, but that's now going so well. Pointers?

KillerDraco

I've gotten up to Mechonis Field and now I'm just going around completing quests and getting Achievements. There really is a lot of stuff to do.

The "Fight something stronger than your party....and win." and "Pick a fight you have no hope of surviving....and ace it." achievements are kicking me all over the place though. Which enemy would be the best to fight to get these achievements? I've been trying to fight the White Hoxes in Raguel Bridge with everyone at Level 62 to do it, but that's now going so well. Pointers?

You can always just wait until the end-game and beat a Superboss. They'll get those achievements no problem. To put it in perspective, the strongest enemy in the game is 21 levels over the level cap.

If you're that intent though, there are a number of things you can do to boost your chances.

1) Ether attacks are unaffected by agility and physical evasion, so they're more likely to hit.
2) Damage over time is your best friend
3) Sleep (Tranquilize, Bedtime) can help, since a sleeping enemy's evasion is zero. Topple and Daze also have the diminished evasion effect but they're a little harder to inflict, since Sleep inflicted moves are Ether-based.
4) Always only fight one higher-leveled enemy at a time. Groups will eff you up.
5) You can always increase evasion with things like Dunban's Serene Heart aura or Night Vision gems.
6) Higher agility is helpful as well.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Hmm. Guess I'll hold off until I get to those Superbosses then.

Right now, I'm just kicking myself over the quests. Specifically, the Jackson one. I didn't want Jackson to become Giorgio's apprentice - I noticed Kenny Rohan had the alert symbol above him so he was a potential candidate - but now since I talked to him, because I was trying to get Giorgio's next request, I'm stuck with it.

Xenoblade really should have had a "Quit" option for these quests in case you wanted to go the other direction.

LizardonX

Banned
Getting those high level enemies should be easy.

Load reyn and dunban up with topple up gems, head to bionis leg and land a demon slayer on a ponio while territorial rotbart walks by.

Activate chain and keep it toppled until it dies.

Alternatively just burn them down with ether from melia. I was killing level 90 arachnos at level 70 with melia, sharla, and fiora for their topple up V gem crystals.

KillerDraco

Right now, I'm just kicking myself over the quests. Specifically, the Jackson one. I didn't want Jackson to become Giorgio's apprentice - I noticed Kenny Rohan had the alert symbol above him so he was a potential candidate - but now since I talked to him, because I was trying to get Giorgio's next request, I'm stuck with it.

Xenoblade really should have had a "Quit" option for these quests in case you wanted to go the other direction.

To be fair, neither branch of that quest has any long-term consequence.

A better example of flawed quest mechanics is being given the choice of Bitter Kiwi or Walnut Grapes in a quest down the road. Bitter Kiwi are really rare, while Walnut Grapes are stupidly common, so it'll often default to Walnut Grapes, which are the "bad" choice. Once you meet one of the two criteria for a choice quest, you become unable to choose the other. A pity, really.

Word to the wise, sell all your Walnut Grapes when you get to Frontier Village.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Funny thing is I'm replaying it for the billionth time right now and put far more hours in it than I should. Also, Shulk/Seven/Dunban is best team pure DPS. =P

spiderbrush

Hmm. So I've just cleared the
High Entia Tomb and now I have to go to Prison Island (and I'm TOTALLY looking forward to my search for Ice Cabbages at Valak Mountain!).

And... I'm going about this game a lot quicker, I think. I've been playing around with different teams, if only to gain more affinity between everyone. Although I might just stick with Shulk/Dunban/Riki and Melia/Sharla/Riki again.

KillerDraco

Also, Shulk/Seven/Dunban is best team pure DPS. =P

Not really. Shulk's DPS isn't his main selling point; his true strength is in his defensive utility, since his Monado Arts can let him nullify virtually any Art that an enemy can throw at you. Don't get me wrong, his DPS isn't exactly poor like oh say, Sharla, and he can certainly do some respectable damage, but Riki can outdamage him in a big way with ease.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
High Entia Tomb and now I have to go to Prison Island (and I'm TOTALLY looking forward to my search for Ice Cabbages at Valak Mountain!).

And... I'm going about this game a lot quicker, I think. I've been playing around with different teams, if only to gain more affinity between everyone. Although I might just stick with Shulk/Dunban/Riki and Melia/Sharla/Riki again.

Reload lava cave over and over at night.

Reload bionis interior and distant fingertips for the other 2 rare items.

shadow wolf

The one and only!

Experimenting is good, also if I remember correctly you can find Ice Cabbage in the pools around Sage Summit as well.

Not really. Shulk's DPS isn't his main selling point; his true strength is in his defensive utility, since his Monado Arts can let him nullify virtually any Art that an enemy can throw at you. Don't get me wrong, his DPS isn't exactly poor like oh say, Sharla, and he can certainly do some respectable damage, but Riki can outdamage him in a big way with ease.

Obviously I wasn't too serious with my claim. Looks like I'm going to have to analyze Riki again. When we talk damage potential are we talk about about Riki's DoTs or DPS since he can do both well, I'd say he does DoTs better though. Also, I know about Shulk's main role is to offer defense/support with his Monado arts, and his Glorious Future skill just turns him into God IMO, especially when you have Shield, Armour, and Speed at level X; maybe add Purge into that list as well, maybe. Another thing, I still hate the fact that Speed doesn't effect the entire battle party, only the selected party individual. It effected the entire party in that cut scene at Spiral Valley, so smeh.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I got the Enemy-Five-Levels-Higher Achievement by killing a Dark Hox. Easy.

But for some reason, when I try to kill a Baelfel Gogol in Satorl Marsh (Level 82, Sharla's Level 71), to get the 10-Levels-Higher Achievement (At least I think it's 10 levels), the thing dies with about 5% of its health left, and I don't get the achievement. This happened twice. Is there an invisible time limit that's in effect before a monster dies automatically?

EDIT: I got the Achievement anyway by taking down the nearby Satorl Rhogul. I'm just going to assume that there is a time limit to take monsters out.

Last edited:

shadow wolf

The one and only!
I got the Enemy-Five-Levels-Higher Achievement by killing a Dark Hox. Easy.

But for some reason, when I try to kill a Baelfel Gogol in Satorl Marsh (Level 82, Sharla's Level 71), to get the 10-Levels-Higher Achievement (At least I think it's 10 levels), the thing dies with about 5% of its health left, and I don't get the achievement. This happened twice. Is there an invisible time limit that's in effect before a monster dies automatically?

EDIT: I got the Achievement anyway by taking down the nearby Satorl Rhogul. I'm just going to assume that there is a time limit to take monsters out.

If I remember correctly, you only get the achievement if the party leader (chain attack may work, haven't tested it) kills the enemy. Yeah, I know, it's incredibly stupid they did it that way.

EDIT: Well the other thing that may not allow you get the achievement is if a status such as burn, chill, poison, bleed kills the enemy instead of a party member. Unfortunately the exact criteria for those two achievements is hidden.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Obviously I wasn't too serious with my claim. Looks like I'm going to have to analyze Riki again. When we talk damage potential are we talk about about Riki's DoTs or DPS since he can do both well, I'd say he does DoTs better though.

Both. The combination of his physical damage and DoTs is what gives you the cumulative DPS. Plus, he has literally the highest single-target attack in the game in Say Sorry. Using it at the end of your DoT attacks' duration gives him a HUGE damage output. And a debuff-fueled Say Sorry at the end of a Chain Attack is just cruelly powerful.

Another thing, I still hate the fact that Speed doesn't effect the entire battle party, only the selected party individual. It effected the entire party in that cut scene at Spiral Valley, so smeh.

While annoying in theory, in practice, you rarely need it to affect the whole party. Most physical attacks are single target, and even those that aren't, barring things like Titan Stamp (hate that attack) tend to have a cone-shaped AoE (such as tail swipes). So in general, only your tank really needs Monado Speed most of the time. It'd be nice if it affected the whole party, but 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't make much of a difference.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Both. The combination of his physical damage and DoTs is what gives you the cumulative DPS. Plus, he has literally the highest single-target attack in the game in Say Sorry. Using it at the end of your DoT attacks' duration gives him a HUGE damage output. And a debuff-fueled Say Sorry at the end of a Chain Attack is just cruelly powerful.

Neat, I'm going to have to try that out sometime. Also, I always figured Melly had the strongest attack with discharging Summon Bolt. If I'm remembering correctly, doesn't Say Sorry X have a x8 multiplier?

While annoying in theory, in practice, you rarely need it to affect the whole party. Most physical attacks are single target, and even those that aren't, barring things like Titan Stamp (hate that attack) tend to have a cone-shaped AoE (such as tail swipes). So in general, only your tank really needs Monado Speed most of the time. It'd be nice if it affected the whole party, but 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't make much of a difference.

You're right, but part of my annoyance is when the tank loses aggro the monster is going to switch and attack someone else, makes me feel like I just wasted a Monado Art; this happened to me mainly when I first played the game, but you know first impressions and all that jazz. Also the minor annoyance of having to select the party member; but that's minor and doesn't really affect anything. F those Fortress Mechon, seriously those things are just cheap, can still cause trouble for you even if you're over-leveled if you fight them on ground-level. Yeah, you're right, Speed effecting the entire party would be nice, but it's not necessary.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Wow, I am glad they showcased Xenoblade Chronicles X in the Nintendo Direct.

The game looks a lot more beautiful than the first game, the graphics are just AMAZING! I like how they changed from defending your home to exploring and documenting. The monsters look even more intimidating than they did before. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Also wonder if there is Character Customization... I bet there will be, that'd be so great!

AuraStorm13

Undaunted Explorer
Wow, I am glad they showcased Xenoblade Chronicles X in the Nintendo Direct.

The game looks a lot more beautiful than the first game, the graphics are just AMAZING! I like how they changed from defending your home to exploring and documenting. The monsters look even more intimidating than they did before. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Also wonder if there is Character Customization... I bet there will be, that'd be so great!

Well, I'd imagine the game would look better compared to Xenoblade Chronicles, you are comparing a Wii game to a Wii U game after all, there'd be a problem if it didn't look better. Anyway, I'd imagine the change in objective is likely due to the change of setting. The main character's home is Earth, but Earth kinda got blown to smithereens, so good luck defending that, and due to the whole settling on a alien planet schtick, it'd make sense to document and learn about the place you're staying. Agreed on the whole enemy thing, I remember one enemy in particular from the direct that seemed absolutely massive. And yes, there is character customization, that was revealed at E3 this year, you get gender, eye color, hair color, the whole shebang. Unfortunately, the avatar for this seems to be your tried and true mute, doesn't seem to be a Avatar with a personality, ala Robin from Awakening, but hey, you win some you lose some I suppose.

Zachmac

Unfortunately, the avatar for this seems to be your tried and true mute, doesn't seem to be a Avatar with a personality, ala Robin from Awakening, but hey, you win some you lose some I suppose.
I actually prefer it that way.

Robin felt too distant to me for me to really feel like he's my avatar, since you have no control over his personality. All you get are a couple yes/no scenerios where he just ends up saying some cheesy line or whatever either way. A silent protagonist, however, leaves a lot more up to your imagination. Avatars like that really put the "RP" part in RPGs.