• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XY and it's 'Anti-Continuity'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Many people have brought this up but I really feel like this kinda deserve this own topic.

We all know Pokemon isnt the most continuity intensive anime ever but they would never shy away from recognizing their past when it's appropriate. AG was a direct continuation of OS so they didnt feel the need to disconnect. DP was a little more disconnected but still there were refrences to Misty, May and her rivals, the Lt Surge Episode, reserves and what have you.

BW was the first series that couldve easily gotten away with not giving us anything given the "reebooty" direction it took but in the end it ended up having a plethora of refrences to the past, to many to even list but to put it short, every prior saga got brought up.

So im asking, wondering, why on earth is XY less then 10 episodes from ending and we still havent gotten anything beyond a thoraway Piplup refrence, it's not like XY/Gen VI is self contaned, hell if anything its a saga that's RIPE for the picking in terms of refrences but we dont even get a pokgeirl cameo, a decadce old tradition that is seemingly done away with for no reason.

I just want to hear other people reasonings for why this is, because no matter how hard I rack my brain I just cannot really fathom why they're doing this when it only hurts their series and makes it feel more disconnected from everything. When Ash gets to the finals of a Pokemon League with narry a refrence or reserve (something that was consistently brought up by people throughout the League), something is seriously wrong

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Maybe because Gen VI as a whole plays in another universe and Kalos not having many connections direct connections to other regions unlike the first four regions all playing in Japan and BW2 Unova having the PWT and some older character to take for the anime. Also Cynthia + Dawn being popular characters.

If there would've been another Kalos game with multiple older characters then maybe we could've got more cameos and hints.

Jibanyan

It's very simple, the more seasons you have, the harder is to keep track of all the characters. Expect SM to be the same.

The "continuity" in BW was pure fanservice.

Janovy

Banned
I personally prefer BW's "fanservice" continuity to XY's outright ignoring the existence of previous series.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
More screentime for IKUZE/Smoogenfrog and its bond with Ash.

I think the writers were incorporating new things such as Mega Evolution and the new Gen's Pokemon that they never thought much about continuity. It's not like they couldn't, fanservice or not, Alan's story has more continuity than what we've got from the XY Quadruple. I don't think an extra person and definitely NOT 2 would work. Look at Korrina when she traveled with the gang, it only focused on her and Ash entirely while Serena, Clemont, and Eureka were there just to be there.I think Alola would be a better start than XY.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I personally prefer BW's "fanservice" continuity to XY's outright ignoring the existence of previous series.

Exactly. I don't get why fanservice is "bad". Too much of it is not good obviously, but too much of anything is not good. In XY's case, they are ignoring the other series way too much. Needs a good medium in the middle.

Red and Blue

For all we know we may get some references and possibly a Iris appearance before Ash returns to Pallet Town.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
It is sad that they decided past cameos should be on the list of traditions to break.

It can't even be argued that the main cast got better developed because of this.

Soniman

Break the Limit
It is sad that they decided past cameos should be on the list of traditions to break.

It can't even be argued that the main cast got better developed because of this.

Given the amount of useless filler that couldve been cut in place of an Iris cameo that's never an excuse

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
BW continuation/fanservice was handled in a shitty way. Charizard return screwed Unfezant and Dawn's return was pure fanservice without any important input to the whole plot.

I can handle older characters returning like Dawn, but Charizard kicking off Unfezant out of the gang was super crappy.

If there should be some continuation, then handled decent enough to not hurt the actual plot and characters.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

I highly doubt it at this point, but it would be a nice surprise. But then the question arises: "why didn't they do it earlier?"

Well they did do some continuity. They had Steven return all the way from AG.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

Soniman

Break the Limit
BW continuation/fanservice was handled in a shitty way. Charizard return screwed Unfezant and Dawn's return was pure fanservice without any important input to the whole plot.

I can handle older characters returning like Dawn, but Charizard kicking off Unfezant out of the gang was super crappy.
Unfezant was worthless garbage long before Charizard came along, dont blame the writers for taking out the trash

If there should be some continuation, then handled decent enough to not hurt the actual plot and characters.
Unfezant is barely a character.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Given the amount of useless filler that couldve been cut in place of an Iris cameo that's never an excuse

Filler is a way for the writers to take a break from "actual" story and save budget, but yea there seems to be a bit too much of it in Pokemon...

Haunter ゴースト

XY has been bad for continuity but let's not act like there isn't anything.

XY001 - Ash arrives to Kalos with Alexa. Direct sequel to BW.
XY001 - Ash talks to Professor Oak and Rotom over the phone.
XY022 - Ash references Dawn's Piplup after seeing one.
XY022 - Misty Lure is briefly seen when Ash reels his rod in to teach Serena how to fish.
XYZ034 - Ash mentions he chose Goodra to fight over all his other Pokemon at Oaks lab.

It would benefit from more mentions, but at the same time Ash is such a good trainer now it doesn't bother me.

In BW (up until BW84) it bothered me because he sucked and i needed some form of recognition so i could achknowledge he was good. Unfortunately though, the references threw into BW during S2 seemed like a desperate attempt to make BW... better?

Anyway, as long as we get a proper reunion episode in Pallet i'll be happy.

P.S it seems like this small reference type of saga like BW and XY will be the future of the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.