1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

XY Ash vs DP Ash Battling Skill!

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by Genaller, Oct 15, 2018.

?

Who was superior in terms of overall battling skill?

1. DP Ash

40.4%
  2. XY Ash

48.9%
  3. Equal

10.6%
  1. Genaller

Genaller May 16th 2016 - October 12th 2019

These 2 are regarded as Ash’s most skilled iterations, so who would be the most skilled? My answer would be XY Ash definitively. I honestly want to do a full break-down of every feat (positive and negative) both of them showed in their respective series. I’ve already done this for their 2 best feats which are vs Paul SL and vs Alain KL respectively (which you can read here: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/ashs-goat-performance-as-a-trainer.662645/) where the conclusion was that Alain KL > Paul SL since the magnitude of DP Ash’s mistakes outweighted those of XY Ash’s with their positive feats matching up quite well. I’ll update this thread from time to time with posts breaking down every skill feat displayed in various battles by both variants of Ash.

2. Kintaro

Kintaro Banned

DP Ash came up with a bit more interesting techniques I think, like countershield. But DP Ash would have likely done far worse against Alan even if he used the same XY Pokemon.

Since OS Ash ----> AG Ash -----> DP Ash ----> XY Ash showed a natural progression, it does seem like in each saga he was better than the last.

3. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Gold Experience

XY Ash to me. DP Ash might have been more strategic on the outside due to countershield, and his tendency to switch more, but at the same time, he was more prone to making rash mistakes. As you've pointed out, an example was in the Sinnoh League battle against Paul. As epic as it was, the match was made to be a lot closer than it probably should've been, due to some real gaffes from Ash's side, like Synthesis and Rock Climb on Torterra and Pikachu boosting Electivire's motor drive. Furthermore, the battle was extremely uneven as Infernape got half the wins.

XY Ash's battling style just seemed to flow better (lack of a better term), and looked more natural to me. His main strength was turning the tide in his favour, and analyzing the situation better. In the end, his loss to Alain was simply down to who was the better trainer, since barring a few small issues, Ash fought his hardest and to his best capabilities.

4. Epicocity

Epicocity Well-Known Member

I want to say that XY Ash's strength is his ability to make snap judgments and act, like how he noticed the water could clear the sandstorm and obliterated it from the field seconds later. DP Ash, unfortunately, had a great set of strategies but lacked the ability to adjust as quickly, just looking from the way it took him 4 Pokemon to clear Toxic Spikes. That's what I think the biggest difference between them is.

SH65, blizzardblaze and Akkipeddi like this.
  5. pokedigijedi

pokedigijedi Saiyan Jedi

I voted equal, the only thing XY Ash has over DP Ash is Ash-Greninja, cut that out and they're the same skill wise but that's just me.

If you bring up how XY Ash went up the the final round and DP Ash didn't, I would like to point out that DP Ash almost made it there he just got eaten alive by Tobias (whom I don't hate, but at the same time I am disappointed with at worst and I wish he had more personality and a backstory, I would like to know how he got his legendaries)

6. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

XY ash was cool and calm, for example DP ash may come up with strategies but he lost awfull lot of times to gym leaders, i think except for brycen and candice he lost to every gym leader in sinnoh, and could have lost to both maylene and volkner if not for outside interference in rain and TR. Not to mention he was put under a lot of pressure by other trainers, whereas in XY ash was able to negate the effects of trick room and electric terrain like it was nothing, this makes me feel that he was much better in XY than in DP.

SH65, Genaller and blizzardblaze like this.
  7. keepitsimple

keepitsimple #KalosScrewJob

Yi but even though Ash was technically second best in both leagues he was still closer to actually beating Alain than he was to Tobias

8. Power Up

Power Up ...

Hasn't this been done before?

Pokegirl Fan~ and keepitsimple like this.
  9. keepitsimple

I think it's fine to do it again since it's probably about seeing if any of the anti-XYers changed their minds at this point, although judging by the poll so far they didn't

J.Agera, blizzardblaze and Genaller like this.
  10. Genaller

Here’s the previous thread: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/dp-ash-vs-xy-ash-whos-the-better-trainer.659695/

Yeah part of it was to see if there was a change in general opinion around here though another part of why I brought back this topic is because some of my own views on it have changed and I felt the need to discuss them in-depth.

11. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Gold Experience

Yeah it's only for name sake that such a thread was attempted before, but my goodness, the previous XY vs DP Ash thread turned into a huge s***show (thanks to you know who), so hopefully this thread is more conclusive with more civility.

12. Apslup

Apslup Feelin' Fine.

XY Ash definitely, but DP Ash is Number 2 and is not terrible at all. Ash's Kalos Team only had Ash-Greninja to really write home about, while Ash's Sinnoh team had Staraptor, Infernape and Pikachu (I'd say that Pikachu was in his prime in DP).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  13. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

What, no kalos also had talonflame and hawluch who are better than staraptor, and kalos pikachu was more consistent than sinnoh pikachu, the only major feat DP pikachu had was draw with latios, otherwise DP is the only series where pikachu didn't have star in single gym, pikachu was moreconsistent in AG and XY. Also AG on the whole is far superior to infernape as an ace. So, kalos has overall better team.

Genaller likes this.
  14. Power Up

Power Up ...

@Genaller I’m pretty sure due to the decline of shitposters in the forum we won’t get a large enough sample size to truly judge which one is better. Not enough Janovities and Maldreads to make a conclusive judgement::oops:;):p

I voted for XY/XYZ anyway

15. keepitsimple

Pretty much. So far only 5 people got drunk and missed the "XY Ash" button (well 9 if you count the centrists)

16. Genaller

Yeah probably. I used amino to determine that ;). Here they are: http://aminoapps.com/p/e15rq0 -> 55 votes and http://aminoapps.com/p/lc355u -> 87 votes.

I mainly created this thread as a place where I can make DP and XY Ash battle skill analysis posts :D.

Power Up likes this.
  17. Ash-Pikachu

Ash-Pikachu Well-Known Member

XY Ash was more skilled because he was able to make judgements and instigate strategies far more quickly than DP Ash could without the need for substitutions or sacrificing his pokemon. XY Ash managed to counter environmental hazards such as Clemont's Electric Terrain and Trick Room while Ash's team nearly got swept Conway's Dusknoir in order to defeat it and Drapion's Toxic Spikes were eliminated only after 5/6 of his pokemon were poisoned. XY Ash's strategies were more subtle which required a more profound awareness of what was going on. Examples of which includes:

1. Pikachu kicking up the logs that Sawyer had sliced up, deliberately lured Aegislash in, and used the sliced up logs against him to circumvent King's Shield.
    2. Noticed the strength of Grant's Tyrunt came from his mouth and used Pikachu's Iron Tail to force back Tyrunt's Rock Tomb into his mouth.
    3. Integrated Draco Meteor Climb against Mega Lucario's Aura Sphere to deliver a stronger Iron Tail by using gravity+momentum of Lucario's attack to collide with Lucario's Bone Rush.
    4. Instantaneously countered Tyranitar's Sand Stream Ability by dousing the battlefield with the riverstream nearby and seamlessly used said strategy to amplify the effect of Pikachu's thunderbolt.
    5. Kicked up debris to deflect Charizard's Flamethrower.
    6. Used Weavile's Icebeam for Hawlucha to use to decrease the damage taken from the attacks whilst simultaneously powering up Hawlucha in which the battle ended immediately afterwards.

DP Ash was a great battler, but many of his strategies took far too long to create (example being Ash vs. Fantina where Ash is backed into a corner after Fantina uses Ash's strategy against him) and he's made many rash mistakes evidently against Paul. XY Ash is better overall.

18. Dragalge

Dragalge Larry, Buznut, Countey, Astar, Feh, & Eggbert

Hmm I agree that XY is the better trainer but I will say that, despite them taking a while (which I was kinda OK with as DP had more room for those episodes), I still enjoyed the stuff DP Ash came up with like Ice Aqua Jet and Countershield! I was sad that the Froakie + Hawlucha combo thing they did in that Trevenant filler didn't appear again as it would have been cool to see again in a potential future double battle. =(

19. Genaller

Can it be... a PAD user actually changed their opinion!? o_O

Huh... I guess miracles do exist :). Just to let you know that you voted DP Ash in a version of this thread 1 year ago :p. xD What changed?

Dragalge likes this.
  20. Dragalge

Dragalge Larry, Buznut, Countey, Astar, Feh, & Eggbert

The sheer power of thinking things over and a myriad of good meals in the morning, good sir!

Genaller likes this.