• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XY Ash vs DP Ash Battling Skill!

Who was superior in terms of overall battling skill?

• Total voters

Genaller

Silver Soul
The sheer power of thinking things over and a myriad of good meals in the morning, good sir!
You, good sir, are truly an inspiration :). The rest of us in PAD could learn a lot by following your example ;).

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I have always DP ash way too much overrated he lost to every character that were there at least once, even non trainers and not to mention the 5 gym leaders.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
You, good sir, are truly an inspiration :). The rest of us in PAD could learn a lot by following your example ;).
In other words, you have to eat your tator tots!

In all seriousness though, I couldn't vote for the person who thought they could get revenge on Honchkrow with his Grotle. OK you adapted to your fat body and are supposed to take hits but even that won't work against a flying mob boss raven thing with Super Luck.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
Or Dragalge simply realized that Greninja and Hawlucha doing super flying cut would likely break hawlucha's back because of the weight

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
XY, though I prefer DP ash's battle style a bit more

Kintaro

Banned
Ash didn't even have AshGreninja till the 8th Gym. Why do people act like he had it the whole series? For the first 7 Gyms of Kalos he didn't have it and Froakie was just treated as any regular pokemon. Seriously AshGreninja was only ever used in one Gym, against Alan's Charizard 3 times, and then 2-3 battles in the league.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
As much as I want XY Ash to be snapped into oblivion by Thanos, I'm going to go with XY Ash. There's a reason he had a long winning streak.

Genaller

Silver Soul
As much as I want XY Ash to be snapped into oblivion by Thanos, I'm going to go with XY Ash. There's a reason he had a long winning streak.
Oh my goodness another PAD user actually had a change of opinion!? o_O

Do tell what changed your mind from last year :)?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!

XY Ash maybe a mary sue among other things I don't like. But his team is pretty strong in comparison to his DP team, this doesn't even include that Greninja. (I like Infernape's character arc better though.)

Genaller

Silver Soul
My answer is neither because I believe was the most skilled during the Battle Frontier :D
Seismic Toss on a Dusclops... I think I’ve said enough ^_^. BF Ash does; however, have a better achievement than either of them if that’s what you meant ;).

Genaller

Silver Soul
So counting the people who seem to have a definitive position on the question but didn’t vote (@Kintaro, @mehmeh1, @XY Rules, @U.N.Owen, @Zhydra), we have 1 additional ‘vote’ for DP Ash and 4 additional ‘votes’ for XY Ash making the score 8-20-4 in XY Ash’s favor :D.

Ash-Pikachu

Seismic Toss on a Dusclops... I think I’ve said enough ^_^. BF Ash does; however, have a better achievement than either of them if that’s what you meant ;).

A tangible achievement, sure, but defeating Darkrai and Latios and clashing with Alain's Charizard who defeated a Mega E4 Ace while exhausted are far better than anything BF Ash has done.

Genaller

Silver Soul
A tangible achievement, sure, but defeating Darkrai and Latios and clashing with Alain's Charizard who defeated a Mega E4 Ace while exhausted are far better than anything BF Ash has done.
Yeah in terms of powerscaling sure though as you said in terms of tangibility the record books will say Ash conquered the Kanto Battle Frontier, placed in the TOP 4 in the Sinnoh League and was the runne-up in the Kalos League. If you read those 3 accomplishments on a Pokémon trainer’s resume side by side without any knowledge of the specifics, which accomplishment would impress you the most?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Simple, beating Battle Frontier impressed me the most because our hero actually WON! (And actually beating legendary pokemon like Articuno and Regice for that matter.)

Not reach runner up or top what ever... won. At the top of the ladder! Where others tried and failed.

It is like the Orange League in where Ash won that one as well.

Last edited:

Ash-Pikachu

Yeah in terms of powerscaling sure though as you said in terms of tangibility the record books will say Ash conquered the Kanto Battle Frontier, placed in the TOP 4 in the Sinnoh League and was the runne-up in the Kalos League. If you read those 3 accomplishments on a Pokémon trainer’s resume side by side without any knowledge of the specifics, which accomplishment would impress you the most?

Their premise is that BF Ash is the most skilled because he had actually won the Battle Frontier. Doing so means he actually ignores the context of each of DP Ash's and XY Ash's achievements which would greatly skew the value of their accomplishments. Hypothetically, if DP Ash faced off against Tobias in the first round, defeated Darkrai and Latios as normal, but still lost, then would his achievement actually prove that he's less skilled than even Kanto Ash simply because his achievement at face-value is inferior? Of course not. That's not even mentioning that if we're taking things at face-value, then each achievement should be evaluated equally in which case, Ash did not win the Battle Frontier because he had actually lost against Anabel and twice against Brandon. In a league, there's no rematches. Once you lost, you lost.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Their premise is that BF Ash is the most skilled because he had actually won the Battle Frontier. Doing so means he actually ignores the context of each of DP Ash's and XY Ash's achievements which would greatly skew the value of their accomplishments. Hypothetically, if DP Ash faced off against Tobias in the first round, defeated Darkrai and Latios as normal, but still lost, then would his achievement actually prove that he's less skilled than even Kanto Ash simply because his achievement at face-value is inferior? Of course not. That's not even mentioning that if we're taking things at face-value, then each achievement should be evaluated equally in which case, Ash did not win the Battle Frontier because he had actually lost against Anabel and twice against Brandon. In a league, there's no rematches. Once you lost, you lost.

Battle Frontier doesn't equal the pokemon league. It is still a pain to beat and from memory serves, you are able to challenge those guys again at the Frontier Brain's time and IF they allow it.

It is like comparing an apple to an orange if we are using THAT logic. What matters with the BF is that Ash still beaten the seven facilities (The goal, there is no mention of a league anywhere in that saga.), with Brandon being the biggest pain. (Considering that frontier brain has the regi trio.)

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Yeah and they’re wrong; I never claimed to agree with the premise that BF Ash is the most skilled. From there it really comes down to the semantics of “achievement”.