• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XY Ash vs DP Ash Battling Skill!

Who was superior in terms of overall battling skill?

• Total voters

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
XY Ash because his battling style was a lot more effective and ruthless which pulled out victories from really tough and tight situations in a battle via his amazing out-of-the-box creative tactics, like Pikachu using Electro Ball on itself to get rid of the effect of Sleep Powder in the Viola Gym battle, Rock Tomb Climb and Draco Meteor climb in the Grant Gym battle, Aura Sphere Climb in the Korrina Gym Battle, Spinning X-Scissor in the Valerie Gym battle, having Pikachu count the time to keep track of Future Sight in the Olympia Gym battle, having Ash-Greninja use the frozen kunai blades to skate and increase its speed in the Wulfric Gym battle (rematch), having Pikachu use the broken wooden logs to jam Aegislash's shield in order to prevent it from using Kings' Shield, having Pikachu splash water across the battlefield by using Iron Tail in the water body of the battle in order to remove Tyranitar's Samd Stream etc. etc. In most of the times XY Ash implied these stunning out-of-the-box tactics by 'thinking on his feet' during a battle, it most of the times led to immediate success during a battle. Like during Pikachu vs Aegislash in the Kalos League, as soon as Ash used that unorthodox out-of-the-box thinking to use the broken wooden logs to prevent Aegislash from using King's Shield, it immediately led to Pikachu's win in the battle.

DP Ash was also tactical and used many creative strategic moves like Counter Shield, Ice Aqua Jet etc. but in terms of utilizing his tactical prowess to good effect and successfully during battles, he was clearly lagging behind XY Ash or quite as good as XY Ash. DP Ash struggled and took a lot of time to overcome Drapion's Toxic Spikes while XY Ash found out the immediate solution to Tyranitar's Sand Stream and countered it in a flash.

DP Ash was a better planner as he knew better how to plan a battle, or to send which particular Pokemon against which one, a.k.a. always looked to sent out his Pokemon in more convenient and advantageous matchups, and switched out Pokemon a lot, but in terms of pure skill and being more creative in figuring out solutions to get out of tough situations during battles, and using unorthodox and ruthlessly effective out-of-the-box tactics for that matter, XY Ash was clearly significantly ahead and DP Ash doesn't quite match up.

So overall, considering all aspects I'd definitely have XY Ash ahead of DP Ash as a battler.

But well, overall, DP Ash's planning, strategy+ switching XY Ash's pure creative skill to figure out solutions during battles, overall, I'd say, would make the greatest Ash (as a battler) ever. :)

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Battle Frontier doesn't equal the pokemon league. It is still a pain to beat and from memory serves, you are able to challenge those guys again at the Frontier Brain's time and IF they allow it.

It is like comparing an apple to an orange if we are using THAT logic. What matters with the BF is that Ash still beaten the seven facilities (The goal, there is no mention of a league anywhere in that saga.), with Brandon being the biggest pain. (Considering that frontier brain has the regi trio.)
You are the one who is grasping at straws and comparing apples to oranges in the first place when you are claiming that BF Ash is better than DP Ash and XY Ash because: DP Ash and XY Ash failed to win the League, while BF Ash won the Battle Frontier by defeating Brandon.

The comparison is so much fallacious in the first place because literally the formats of a traditional Pokemon League and Battle Frontier are so, so much different in nature. In terms of being a gruelling competition those two aren't even comparable with each other. The League is a tournament far more gruelling format where the axe of elimination always hangs upon your neck. You lose a battle, and you are eliminated from the League, you get no second chance. The competition is way more gruelling.

Whereas in the Battle Frontier, you can always get a second chance. You lose to a Frontier Brain, and you can still challenge him/her to a rematch. Unlike the League, there's a second chance here and no elimination at all. Ash lost to Anabel once, he got a second chance, Ash lost to Branson twice, he got a second and third chance. So in terms of being a gruelling competition, the Battle Frontier is absolutely no match at all for the League, because in a League, the axe of elimination always hangs around your neck and there is no second chance, while in the Battle Frontier, it's the total opposite.

And if you're talking about the quality of opponents, still DP and XY Ash had to face stronger opponents than BF Ash obviously, to whom they lost. Tobias' League sweeping Legendaries were definitely more fierce and stronger opponents that Brandon's Regi trio. Alain's super OP Godzard X which ploughed through 10 Mega Evolutions in a row without much rest, including a Mega Evolution that belonged to a E4 member, who are virtually treated as unbeatable for normal trainer in the anime, was most certainly a way stronger opponent than Brandon's Regi trio. And even then, BF Ash didn't beat three of Brandon's Regis in a battle, in the battle he won, he beat only one of them.

So, the logic you're using to prove BF Ash superior to DP and XY Ash because he was eventually successful in his hoal while DP and XY Ash weren't, is clearly fallacious.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
You are the one who is grasping at straws and comparing apples to oranges in the first place when you are claiming that BF Ash is better than DP Ash and XY Ash because: DP Ash and XY Ash failed to win the League, while BF Ash won the Battle Frontier by defeating Brandon.

The comparison is so much fallacious in the first place because literally the formats of a traditional Pokemon League and Battle Frontier are so, so much different in nature. In terms of being a gruelling competition those two aren't even comparable with each other. The League is a tournament far more gruelling format where the axe of elimination always hangs upon your neck. You lose a battle, and you are eliminated from the League, you get no second chance. The competition is way more gruelling.

Whereas in the Battle Frontier, you can always get a second chance. You lose to a Frontier Brain, and you can still challenge h/her to a rematch. Unlike the League, there's a second chance here and no elimination at all. Ash lost to Anabel once, he got a second chance, Ash lost to Branson twice, he got a second and third chance. So in terms of being a gruelling competition, the Battle Frontier is absolutely no match ar all for the League, because in a League, the axe of elimination always hangs around your neck and there is no second chance, while in the Battle Frontier, it's the total opposite.

And if you're talking about the quality of opponents, still DP and XY Ash had to face stronger opponents than BF Ash obviously, to whom they lost. Tobias' League sweeping Legendaries were definitely more fierce and stronger opponents that Brandon's Regi trio. Alain's super OP Godzard X which ploughed through 10 Mega Evolutions in a row without much rest, including a Mega Evolution that belonged to a E4 member, who are virtually treated as unbeatable for normal trainer im the anime, was most certainly a way stronger opponent than Brandon's Regi trio. And even then, BF Ash didn't beat three of Brandon's Regis in a battle, in the battle he won, he beat only one of them.

So, the logic you're using to prove BF Ash superior to DP and XY Ash because he was eventually successful in his hoal while DP and XY Ash weren't, is clearly fallacious.

When was the argument about that?! Actually read the conversations before coming to those conclusions. We were talking about comparing the accomplishments of the three and which one had the better achievement.

BF Ash accomplished his goal. DP and XY failed in theirs, that was all that was being said and people were speaking like the BF victory didn't mean anything because it isn't the league.

Genaller

Silver Soul
DP vs XY Ash.Battling Skill Analysis Post #1

I’ve decided to break up my analysis of DP and XY Ash’s battle skill into several smaller posts rather than a mega size post in order to make it more easily digestible. I’ve decided to start off by analyzing both of their battles against gym leaders since the badge quest forms the core of Ash’s journey each region (pre-Alola) and usually gives a fairly good rough estimate of Ash’s skill lvl in that series. I’ll be breaking down and comparing XY and DP Ash’s battle performances against each gym leader in the order they were faced. Note that I’ll be dedicating 1 post to each gym leader pair (gym leaders from both series who correspond with respect to the order Ash gets a badge from them in). After gym leaders I’ll discuss pre-league rival battles and then notable skill feats from other battles throughout the series before dealing with league battles at the end (though I’ve already given a fairly comprehensive post comparing the SL Paul and KL Alain performances which were undoubtedly the peak of DP and XY Ash respectively in terms of battling skill).

Let’s start by going through the first battles against Roark and Viola where in both instances Ash lost. Now what’s particularly of note here is that in both instances Ash doesn’t make any notable mistakes (though it did seem a bit questionable that Ash underrated Cranidos’s power and speed by such a considerable degree despite watching it first hand against Paul), but rather both gym leaders were really tough along with of course Ash’s Pokémon not being that experienced (and Pikachu having his usually inconsistency). Roark had a more “brute force” approach overwhelming his opponents with sheer power and speed whereas Viola’s main strategy can be summed up as “hyper movement restriction” with tactics like ice battlefield reducing the stability and maneuverability of grounded Pokémon, Gust reducing the same for both grounded and aerial Pokémon and Sticky Web ensnaring Pokémon thus making them more vulnerable to a direct attack.

Both leaders were able to hinder Ash from battling to his fullest though this seemed to especially be the case with Viola. Ash while showing good variation in commands during his first performance against Viola gave a fairly standard performance overall with the only tactics of note being Pikachu’s well timed Iron Tail after Surskit went in close and Fletchling using Double Team to both evade Surskit’s attacks and gain an opening to finish it off with Razor Wind.

DP Ash on the other hand showed a good deal of skill even in his first go-around which was fitting for the guy who recently conquered the Battle Frontier. For starters Aipom also used a Double Team evasion against Cranidos though where Ash truly shined was with Pikachu. First-up Pikachu gives a well-placed Iron Tail to Cranidos in the same spot where it was previously struck by Aipom’s Focus Punch. Next we have Pikachu using Quick Attack to dodge, but more importantly using the momentum gained from QA to then transition into an extra powerful Iron Tail. Finally we have battlefield Thunderbolt whereby Pikachu struck the ground in such a way that the resulting debris pelted the opponent. This tactic is of special note since Paul makes a call back to it during his SL match with Ash by employing a very similar tactic with his Electivire against Gliscor.

With regards to how both reacted to their losses, we don’t see anymore of DP Ash during the same day though the next day he seems just fine for the most part working hard with his Pokémon (though he does show moments of worry) whereas XY Ash takes his loss harder in particular he’s really racking his brain on how to deal with Viola’s hyper movement restriction which makes sense given the more intricate nature of Viola’s core strategy and also XY Ash at this point still had difficulty staying composed when faced with an especially difficult battle problem as was usually the case in DP (and in case it isn’t clear, I’m treating XY Ash as the direct successor to DP Ash for the purpose of this analysis series).

Both trainers make appropriate steps towards training their Pokémon for dealing with the respective challenges presented and from what was seen XY’s training seemed more intricate (though it is worth noting that we never got to see Ash and Dawn’s “spin dodging” training which I’m admittedly a bit salty about). I won’t go into detail regarding the specifics since this post is primarily assessing both Ashes’ battling skills though 1 occurence that I wanted to note was that when Ash strengthens his resolve (thanks to some moral support from Serena), the resolve of his Pokémon strengthen as well which is a good example of how a trainer’s attitude affects their Pokémon.

Now we’re finally at the heart of this post which is the assessment of Ash’s battle skill in his matches with Roark and Viola where he actually earns their respective badges. DP Ash picks-up from where he left off by again using momentum from Quick Attack this time for the purpose of climbing up Onix, but it’s the spin dodging that truly shows his improvement from the first battle. “Spin dodging” is essentially creating wind pressure by spinning sideways in order ‘slide’ through close range enemy attacks which works wonderfully for both Pikachu and Aipom against Onix and and Geodude respectively (on a side note I’m not sure why Ash didn’t have Aipom do spin dodging to begin with against Rollout instead of Double Team; maybe he thought Roark would lower his guard if spin dodging wasn’t initially used resulting in him being more caught off guard when the maneuver eventually did get used).

Against Ramparados; however, Ash makes an error by relying on spin dodging due to not accounting for Ramparados’s horns that give it an extra sideways reach thereby still causing Pikachu damage. Thankfully DP Ash makes up for this by then having Pikachu spin overhead thereby avoiding Ramparados’s horns entirely. This tactic works similarly well for Turtwig with Turtwig also displaying a solid transitionin into a Bite on Ramparados’s incoming tail. This battle also gives an example of what good timing on Synthesis looks like (this point is important when considering Ash’s full battles with Paul) with Turtwig using it while Ramparados is reeling from recoil damage. Finally we have an excellent final tactic of using Trutwig’s fiery-turned Razor Leaves as camouflage to get the last strike in though I admit I’m not quite sure if Ash and Turtwig rehearsed spinning from below if Roark chose to counter Ash’s command by telling Ramparados to jump or if that was just good battle instincts on Trutwig’s part (probably the latter).

Let’s now jump into Ash’s rematch with Viola. First off Pikachu easily dodges a barrage of Sticky Web thanks to Ash’s training the previous day. I have to hand it to Ash for trying to have Pikachu flat-out prevent Surskit from making an ice battlefield (prevention > cure holds quite well even in Pokémon battles) albeit in a seemingly futile attempt. After the ice field is employed Pikachu slammed his tail into the ground in order to regain a stable footing and hence launch attacks with maximum affect. Pikachu later uses a variant of this tactic that adds Iron Tail in order to provide further stability when combating Vivillon’s Gust. Speaking of Gust Fletchling is able to successfully counter it by riding its wind current via adjusting the angle of its tail feathers. Probably the best tactical maneuver in this battle was how Ash used the small time interval (that admittedly was longer than usual thanks to Pikachu’s will power) between when Pikachu was hit with Sleep Powder and when Pikachu would inevitably fall asleep to have Pikachu launch an Electro Ball directly vertically upward this coming down and smacking Pikachu straight in the head preventing him from falling asleep in the process.

Of special note in this battle was Ash’s will strength where at multiple points in the battle he was able to will Pikachu and Fletching to push past their limits or rather, as Paul in the Japanease version would sarcastically say, Ash used “the power of really really wanting it” especially well in this battle. Finally I’m once again not sure if Vivillon falling into the ice lamps that Surskit had created while Pikachu was trying to direct its Ice Beam away (guess that attempt wasn’t so futile after all ;)) and hence not being able to move properly thus giving Pikachu an opening to land the final blow was what Ash and Pikachu were going for when Pikachu fired Electro Ball or if that was coincidence. My skepticism stems from the fact that Vivillon launched Solarbeam first and Pikachu counters meaning he has to launch in a trajectory such that Electro Ball is able to completely override Solarbeam in adddition to hitting Vivillon in a manner that sends it flying into the ice lamps though maybe Pikachu’s precision was just that good.

Overall DP Ash was able to display a wider array of tactics in the battles against his first gym leader though it is worth noting that Roark’s battle style (relative to Viola’s) in conjunction with DP Ash using 3 Pokémon each battle instead of 2 provided significantly more opportunities for him to showcase his skill. Accounting for this their aggregate skill output frequency would actually be around even (unless I missed a notable feat in which case do let me know). Both gym mini arcs resulted in strong showings for Ash as a trainer while also establishing how especially difficult the Sinnoh and Kalos badge quests were going to be.

That concludes my first DP vs XY Ash battling skill analysis post (oh wow was that long!). I’m pretty sure (or at least hopeful) that most of my other analysis posts (probably 10 - 12 in total) on this thread won’t be as long. Let me know if you have any reservations about my assessment for either of DP or XY Ash’s battles against the first gym leader or about how I compared the 2 performances. I should also note that these analysis posts will be put out infrequently depending on how much time I have.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
When was the argument about that?! Actually read the conversations before coming to those conclusions. We were talking about comparing the accomplishments of the three and which one had the better achievement.
Um, did you even read my reply properly??? My reply was exactly addressing that point.

Your claim: BF Ash made a better achievement in winning the Battle Frontier compared to DP Ash reaching the Semi-Finals of Sinnoh League and XY Ash reaching the Finals of the Kalos League, because BF Ash won the whole thing and accomplished his goal while DP Ash and XY Ash overall still failed to accomplish their goals.

This kind of claim is clearly fallacious because: the Battle Frontier is by no means even comparable to a regional League in terms of being a gruelling competition. Not any way. In a regional League tournament, the axe of elimination always hangs around your neck all the time. You lose a single battle in a League tournament, and you are immediately eliminated from the competition. There is no second chance for you there, you cannot afford to lose a single match. Which is why the competition is incredibly gruelling there.

While in the Battle Frontier, you can always get a second chance unlike regional Pokemon Leagues. You can afford to lose a match there. You lose to any Frontier Brain, and you can ask him/her for a rematch. Ash lost to Anabel once, he could challenge her for a rematch again. Ash lost to Brandon twice, and he could ask him for yet another rematch. Ash got second chances multiple times during the Battle Frontier, while during the Sinnoh League and Kalos League, he got no second chance. One loss, and all of his hopes of winning the competition was crushed, with no second chances there.

So the regional Leagues, clearly are a way more gruelling competitions that the Battle Frontier, and so BF Ash winning the Battle Frontier can't be automatically termed a better achievement than DP Ash reaching the semi finals and XY Ash reaching the finals.

If you want to bring in further how strong a trainer Brandon was and he had the Regi trio, let me tell you that DP Ash and XY clearly lost to stronger opponents than Brandon in the League, Tobias' League sweeping Legendaries were stronger opponents that Brandon Regi trio, Alain's super OP Mega Charizard X, which never lost but once, which ploughed through 10 Mega Evolutions in a row including one belonging to an E4 member, was most certainly a stronger opponents that Brandon's Regi trio. And Ash never did beat all 3 of Brandon's Regis too, in tbe battle he won against Brandon, he defeated only one of those Regis.

BF Ash accomplished his goal. DP and XY failed in theirs, that was all that was being said and people were speaking like the BF victory didn't mean anything because it isn't the league.

BF Ash winning the Battle Frontier was a great achievement and all, but using that as an example to say that its a better achievement than DP Ash reaching the semi finals of the Sinnoh League and XY Ash reaching the finals of the Kalos League doesn't clearly make any sense: because the Battle Frontier is no way comparable to a League in terms of being a gruelling competition, you can lose and get a second chance in the Battle Frontier, while in a League you lose once, and there's no second chance, you get eliminated from the competition immediately.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Um, did you even read my reply properly??? My reply was exactly addressing that point.

Your claim: BF Ash made a better achievement in winning the Battle Frontier compared to DP Ash reaching the Semi-Finals of Sinnoh League and XY Ash reaching the Finals of the Kalos League, because BF Ash won the whole thing and accomplished his goal while DP Ash and XY Ash overall still failed to accomplish their goals.

This kind of claim is clearly fallacious because: the Battle Frontier is by no means even comparable to a regional League in terms of being a gruelling competition. Not any way. In a regional League tournament, the axe of elimination always hangs around your neck all the time. You lose a single battle in a League tournament, and you are immediately eliminated from the competition. There is no second chance for you there, you cannot afford to lose a single match. Which is why the competition is incredibly gruelling there.

While in the Battle Frontier, you can always get a second chance unlike regional Pokemon Leagues. You can afford to lose a match there. You lose to any Frontier Brain, and you can ask him/her for a rematch. Ash lost to Anabel once, he could challenge her for a rematch again. Ash lost to Brandon twice, and he could ask him for yet another rematch. Ash got second chances multiple times during the Battle Frontier, while during the Sinnoh League and Kalos League, he got no second chance. One loss, and all of his hopes of winning the competition was crushed, with no second chances there.

So the regional Leagues, clearly are a way more gruelling competitions that the Battle Frontier, and so BF Ash winning the Battle Frontier can't be automatically termed a better achievement than DP Ash reaching the semi finals and XY Ash reaching the finals.

If you want to bring in further how strong a trainer Brandon was and he had the Regi trio, let me tell you that DP Ash and XY clearly lost to stronger opponents than Brandon in the League, Tobias' League sweeping Legendaries were stronger opponents that Brandon Regi trio, Alain's super OP Mega Charizard X, which never lost but once, which ploughed through 10 Mega Evolutions in a row including one belonging to an E4 member, was most certainly a stronger opponents that Brandon's Regi trio. And Ash never did beat all 3 of Brandon's Regis too, in tbe battle he won against Brandon, he defeated only one of those Regis.

BF Ash winning the Battle Frontier was a great achievement and all, but using that as an example to say that its a better achievement that DP Ash reaching the semi finals of the Sinnoh League and XY Ash reaching the finals of the Kalos League doesn't clearly make any sense: because the Battle Frontier is no way comparable to a League in terms of being a gruelling competition, you can lose and get a second chance in the Battle Frontier, while in a League you lose once, and there's no second chance, you get eliminated from the competition immediately.

Don't mind Zhydra. I fully agree with u ! =]

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
If you analyzed series tone, DP always meant to show that Ash has more limits than he expected, that there will always be someone to knock him down, someone he needed to overcome.

Looking at XY Ash was the person others needed to overcome for most of the series until Alain at least.

DP Ash will probably do better playing the long game. There comes a point where people do peak out or even grow stagnant and complacent.

Genaller

Silver Soul
DP vs XY Ash Battling Skill Analysis Post #2

Well let’s get right into it. This post will be looking at DP and XY Ash’s battles against the 2nd gym leaders of their respective badge quests. We’ll first go through Ash’s unofficial 2 vs 2 against Gardenia (since I said battles against gym leaders rather than just gym battles) before tackling both official gym battles.

I’ll be frank here; Ash’s performance in his first battle with Gardenia is very bad (definitely 1 of the weakest performances that will ever be discussed in this analysis series). Gardenia first does a little scouting with Cherubi, then switches to Turtwig and proceeds to curbstomp both Turtwig and Staravia. Ash’s commands are fairly standard, but what makes this showing particularly bad is that Ash gets way too panicked at the revelation of how fast Gardenia’s Turtwig’s is (especially when he finds out that it’s even faster than Starvia). Not only is such an attitude going to adversely affect the battle viability of his Pokémon, but it also caused Ash to have a blatant lack of environmental awareness shown by how Gardenia positioned Turtwig in a manner such that her dodging Turtwig’s Tackle and Staravia’s Aerial Ace caused those 2 to slam into a tree stump and the tall grass respectively.

Let’s move on to Ash’s official 3 vs 3 gym battle against Gardenia. Sadly Ash’s mistakes don’t just stay in the unofficial battle; he miscalculates Cherubi’s Solarbeam’s charge time due to not factoring in that harsh sunlight accelerates said charge time despite the fact that in BF Ash became familiar with how Solarbeam’s charge time varies with sunlight during his battle with Spencer. This miscalculation results in the battle going in Cherubi’s favor after which Ash recalls Turtwig which for the record isn’t what I’d call a “pro-active switch” but rather a switch necessitated by Ash loosing battle momentum due to his own fault (on that note I think I’ll do a special post where I address all the different reasons for switching occurring in the anime). I guess Ash’s progression has always been a rough zig-zag rather than a smooth line.

Thankfully Ash then gets his act together and pulls off several solid tactical maneuvers. We have Staravia using his aerial advantage to the fullest by flying upwards for long enough such that Razor Leaf would be repelled by away by gravity. Staravia descending at the precise moment the sunlight stopped being covered by the clouds in order to use the resulting glare that momentarily blinded Cherubi as an opening to launch the finishing sequence of strikes. Tactically using Wing Attacks (in contrast with the linear attacks Ash used in the first battle) to lure Gardenia’s Turtwig towards a small opening in a tree and then entrapping her there. We then get another good use of Synthesis which takes advantage of the sunlight to heal more efficiently.

Ash did particularly well with Aipom in this battle. Creatively used Double team to determine the locations of the Grass Knots, so that the real Aipom could avoid them. Used the forest environment to have Aipom move more optimally (something he also does with Pikachu during his battle with Sawyer at the KL). Was able to calm Aipom down when she was blinded allowing her to properly focus and deflect Roserade’s Weather Ball with her Focus Punch right back to it and finally Aipom entrapped Roserade in a ring of Swift and then used Focus Punch to give the Swift stars momentum causing them to pelt Roserade leaving her open for the final Focus Punch strike. This battle indicates an overall progression in both Ash’s composure and environmental awareness from his performance against Gardenia the first time around.

Let’s now get into Ash’s battle with Grant. Going in Ash knows that Rock Tomb is going to be a major threat due to seeing a battle between Surskit and Onix where Rock Tomb was effectively able to restrict Surkit’s movements due to Surkit being a grounded Pokémon. Ash intuitively made the conclusion that in order for his grounded Pokémon (Froakie and Pikachu) to effectively combat Rock Tomb he would have to turn the battlefield into a more ‘3D environment’ for both of them which is where Rock Tomb climb comes in (As a fun piece of trivia Ash uses a prototype version of this against Paul at the SL where Pikachu climbs up the falling debris from Electivire’s battlefield Thunder). The first tactic of note is a neat use of Double Team (seriously Double Team should be labeled a “signature Ash move”) whereby Grant initially thinks Double Team was used solely as an evasive maneuver in response to Onix increasing speed with Rock Polish and has Onix use Rock Tomb in order to find the real 1 under the premise that the clones will disappear upon making contact with the rocks; however, this was exactly what Ash wanted so that he could employ Rock Tomb climb thereby gaining major battle momentum (since he showed that he could neutralize Grant’s core move) and getting Froakie close to Onix’s head for a clean strike with Water Pulse.

Next let’s address Ash’s use of Fletchling. Some people weren’t too thrilled with Ash using 3 Pokémon while Grant only using 2; however, Pikachu doesn’t take a single direct hit (the closest is an Iron Tail vs Dragon Tail move clash) and there isn’t a single moment in the battle where Pikachu doesn’t look like he’s in control meaning that Pikachu could’ve won that battle (albeit with more struggle) even if Fletchling wasn’t used. From here you may ask “then what was the point of Fletchling even battling”? The answer is quite simple; efficiency! By using Fletchling as a sacrificial scout to ascertain the rest of Tyrunt’s moves, Ash is able to make Pikachu’s (whom he understood from the get-go would play the key role in beating Tyrunt as opposed to Fletching) job considerably easier which quite honestly is something DP Ash with his Pokémon conservation mindset (that was part of why both of his mistakes in his SL match with Paul were made) would’ve never considered doing. Fletching also makes good use of Double Team by actively having the double team clones make (faux) Steel Wing attacks in order to distract Tyrunt, so that Fletchling could at least get 1 solid hit in before its job was done.

Finally let’s get to Draco Meteor climb which truly showcases Ash at his best. Rock Tomb climb served as Ash’s core strategy going into this battle; however, Ash has always shined at his brightest when improvising and it’s no different here. First off I have to commend Ash for not loosing composure or focus after it was made clear that Rock Tomb climb would not work on Draco Meteor due to the meteors not allowing for stable footing. Instead he calmly assessed the situation and intuitively deduced that he could circumvent the issue of ‘footing’ by using the power of an attack move to create momentary stability which is where Irin Tail came in serving as a ‘substitute’ for Pikachu’s paws allowing him to successfully climb Draco Meteor. We cap off with a great finishing sequence of Pikachu deflecting Tyrunt’s Rock Tombs with Iron Tail in particular he sends 1 of the rocks right into Tyrunt’s mouth neutralizing Crunch and creating an opening for the final strike. Of particular note here is the attention to detail that Tyrunt previously neutralized Fletchling’s long range Razor Wind by ‘eating’ it with Crunch and probably could’ve done the same to Pikachu’s Thunderbolt making it all the more imperative that Ash first neutralize Crunch before having Pikachu finish the match with Thunderbolt.

While I have an overall positive opinion of both performances this time as well, this round unquestionably goes to XY Ash for his tres bien performance! He had a solid core pre-planned strategy, excellent improvisation, fantastic attention to detail, didn’t loose composure when his initial strategy was made unviable and was highly efficient throughout. This battle honestly serves as a marvelous case study with respect to displaying Ash’s strengths and just how incredible he can be when battling at his peak. DP Ash also showed some great tactical prowess against Gardenia especially when it concerns his maneuvers with Aipom, but sadly those battles also leave a bitter after-taste of inconsistency and it’ll become apparent as this analysis series progresses that DP Ash while being outstanding at times just doesn’t have the same degree of consistency as his successor.

Well hopefully this didn’t feel quite as long as the first post. As an end note I’d like to make a hypothesis: I think people in-general praise DP battles for being more strategic on average than those of XY not only because of their skewed perception due to Ash’s full battles with Paul, but also because the strategy is more ‘noticeable’ by which I mean XY due to its vastly superior visuals did a considerably better job blending in strategy with more standard battle fare than DP did. This has no bearing on my comparative assessment of DP and XY Ash’s battle skill, but it could be some amusing food for thought :).

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
If you analyzed series tone, DP always meant to show that Ash has more limits than he expected, that there will always be someone to knock him down, someone he needed to overcome.

Looking at XY Ash was the person others needed to overcome for most of the series until Alain at least.

DP Ash will probably do better playing the long game. There comes a point where people do peak out or even grow stagnant and complacent.
tbh, one of my main problems with XY ash is just that, that there weren't many to antagonize him and practically everyone praised him, even lysandre
Yeah the flaw in your assessment is that as an ‘underdog’ (what you consider DP Ash to be) is eventually going to keep getting better and better to the point where he becomes a ‘top dog’ (what you consider XY Ash to be) meaning DP Ash will eventually end up like XY Ash (oh look what do you know... another reason why XY Ash works so well as the successor of DP Ash; thanks!). Also this notion that XY Ash would become complacent is completely unfounded when applying what we know about his character from the show (matter of fact even DP Ash showed instances of conceit like in his battle with Kenny where he got wreckt hard due to underestimating his opponent by thinking he could try emulating Flint without consequence) though you are the same person who claimed that Ash smiled after loosing at the Kalos League out of apathy rather than out of admiration for Alain’s eventhough the evidence in the show makes it abundantly clear that the latter was the case, so I guess I shouldn’t expect you to care about what the information in the anime actually tells us in which case even the validity of your initial assessment of the archtypes DP and XY Ash represent comes into question.
tbh, it feels like there's some sort of missing link between DP and XY ash, so it still somewhat feels like a awkward jump if you go from DP to XY, then again, what can't be solved with some headcanoning? OS->DP is just like normal, but ash got brain damage in bw001 from zekrom and then in XY the jump from the airplane's stairs somehow gave him reverse brain damage and even boosted him, at the expense of some of his expressiveness (heh, reminds me of that one ep of spongebob where patrick became super smart), which got fixed by the kiss at the end, but overshot it a bit too much, and some of the slapstick from SM gave him mild amnesia. There, headcanoned

Genaller

Silver Soul
tbh, one of my main problems with XY ash is just that, that there weren't many to antagonize him and practically everyone praised him, even lysandre

tbh, it feels like there's some sort of missing link between DP and XY ash, so it still somewhat feels like a awkward jump if you go from DP to XY, then again, what can't be solved with some headcanoning? OS->DP is just like normal, but ash got brain damage in bw001 from zekrom and then in XY the jump from the airplane's stairs somehow gave him reverse brain damage and even boosted him, at the expense of some of his expressiveness (heh, reminds me of that one ep of spongebob where patrick became super smart), which got fixed by the kiss at the end, but overshot it a bit too much, and some of the slapstick from SM gave him mild amnesia. There, headcanoned
Yeah that’s great except BW Ash contradicts his core values as a trainer and I’m including even Kanto Ash when I say this. As far as I’m concerned BW and SM Ash are husks of flesh that the writers can inject with whatever personality traits they need him to have at the time. The true Ash for me is OS -> AG -> DP -> XY, so I really couldn’t care less about your ‘headcanon’. Also here’s something amusing; the sound director of SM explicitly mentions in a tweet that SM is not a continuation of XYZ and has a completely new Satoshi and Pikachu. I guess you can cherry pick and say he’s not a writer, but keep in mind that he’s in charge of the music of the show which is essential to setting the overall tone of the series ergo he’d be the kind of guy that’s well informed about the direction of the Pokémon anime product.

Also you have the same skewed view point as U.N.Owen and several others when concerning XY Ash. Ash only truly goes “over dog mode” in the 2nd half of XY in particular post gym 4. He was treated like an underdog against both Viola and Korrina (lost to both of them the first time) and had several other notable losses such as Sylveon trainer, Sanpei and Astrid, got wrecked in his brief scuffle with Diantha and was about to straight-up crack under pressure against Ramos, so no Ash wasn’t some unstoppable ultra trainer throughout XY but rather becomes 1 midway through, so the “missing link” between DP and XY Ash (or rather your perceptions of them) would be XY Ash pre-gym 4! The only notable difference I can see from end DP Ash -> beginning XY Ash is that the latter is significantly more mellowed out (a.k.a has less of a temper).

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Yeah that’s great except BW Ash contradicts his core values as a trainer and I’m including even Kanto Ash when I say this. As far as I’m concerned BW and SM Ash are husks of flesh that the writers can inject with whatever personality traits they need him to have at the time. The true Ash for me is OS -> AG -> DP -> XY, so I really couldn’t care less about your ‘headcanon’. Also here’s something amusing; the sound director of SM explicitly mentions in a tweet that SM is not a continuation of XYZ and has a completely new Satoshi and Pikachu. I guess you can cherry pick and say he’s not a writer, but keep in mind that he’s in charge of the music of the show which is essential to setting the overall tone of the series ergo he’d be the kind of guy that’s well informed about the direction of the Pokémon anime product.

Also you have the same skewed view point as U.N.Owen and several others when concerning XY Ash. Ash only truly goes “over dog mode” in the 2nd half of XY in particular post gym 4. He was treated like an underdog against both Viola and Korrina (lost to both of them the first time) and had several other notable losses such as Sylveon trainer, Sanpei and Astrid, got wrecked in his brief scuffle with Diantha and was about to straight-up crack under pressure against Ramos, so no Ash wasn’t some unstoppable ultra trainer throughout XY but rather becomes 1 midway through, so the “missing link” between DP and XY Ash (or rather your perceptions of them) would be XY Ash pre-gym 4! The only notable difference I can see from end DP Ash -> beginning XY Ash is that the latter is significantly more mellowed out (a.k.a has less of a temper).
What I meant is how the characters treated him, with almost everyone praising him and not many actually antagonizing him that much in their interactions (SM also has this problem), though I'll admit I watched some of early XY (around until korrina) raw, so I didn't understand much quite a bit of the time. Also, getting your brain fried by a legendary can have some consequences (though then again, this is headcanon).

keepitsimple

site of lies
What I meant is how the characters treated him, with almost everyone praising him and not many actually antagonizing him that much in their interactions (SM also has this problem), though I'll admit I watched some of early XY (around until korrina) raw, so I didn't understand much quite a bit of the time. Also, getting your brain fried by a legendary can have some consequences (though then again, this is headcanon).
well...yeah. the characters are different in xy and have different personalities so they're not going to jump at ash's throat like paul, iris and trip did lol

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
Okay and how other characters perceive him is not Ash’s problem. Besides the main person who antagonized him in DP was Paul and that was an extreme case since Paul was Ash’s direct antithesis. The only other notable example is Zoey initially due to Ash not seeming committed enough though she respects him after their contest battle and even admits he would’ve won if not for the timer. Also it’s worth noting that Ash himself had a significantly greater temper in DP which often ended up creating more conflict than there needed to be (a good example is his and Dawn’s argument after loosing to the tag champs where while Ash was completely right in what he was saying, he did so with a hostile attitude towards Dawn when he should’ve been more lenient due to Dawn’s inexperience which in turn caused Dawn to flare up as well). Finally people most certainly did call Ash out whenever he was acting reckless or too overzealous even in XY. You could say that there was a “progression” in the Praise - Insult spectrum for Ash from OS -> AG -> DP -> XY with general opinion becoming more positive as he progressed (as it should; I really don’t get why you and others want some equal distribution of praise and hostility for literally every series).

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Yeah the flaw in your assessment is that as an ‘underdog’ (what you consider DP Ash to be) is eventually going to keep getting better and better to the point where he becomes a ‘top dog’ (what you consider XY Ash to be) meaning DP Ash will eventually end up like XY Ash (oh look what do you know... another reason why XY Ash works so well as the successor of DP Ash; thanks!).

The flaw in your logic is the overused and frankly toxic mentality that battling is somehow a linear progression rather than a system probability due to a series of environmental factors, mental factors, and physical factors. Any martial artist knows the chaos of the moment as does a cop, a soldier, or even any participant in a robotics tournament. Unless Ash somehow can alter probability in its entirety to his favor, battling will never be a linear progression.

As for my line of thought, I was under the assumption DP and XY would be treated as separate entities.

Also this notion that XY Ash would become complacent is completely unfounded when applying what we know about his character from the show (matter of fact even DP Ash showed instances of conceit like in his battle with Kenny where he got wreckt hard due to underestimating his opponent by thinking he could try emulating Flint without consequence)

There comes a point where people do peak out or even grow stagnant and complacent.

Comparing quotes side-by-side, you will notice the quote is of a typical case of exemplification and not a specific example.

Though you are the same person who claimed that Ash smiled after loosing at the Kalos League out of apathy rather than out of admiration for Alain’s eventhough the evidence in the show makes it abundantly clear that the latter was the case, so I guess I shouldn’t expect you to care about what the information in the anime actually tells us in which case even the validity of your initial assessment of the archtypes DP and XY Ash represent comes into question.

The validity of your claims are called into question since you've resorted into ad hominem rather than properly looking into the form of argumentation.

Genaller

Silver Soul
The flaw in your logic is the overused and frankly toxic mentality that battling is somehow a linear progression rather than a system probability due to a series of environmental factors, mental factors, and physical factors. Any martial artist knows the chaos of the moment as does a cop, a soldier, or even any participant in a robotics tournament. Unless Ash somehow can alter probability in its entirety to his favor, battling will never be a linear progression.
Strawman (and emotionally charged language while we’re at it with words like ‘toxic’). I’ve never claimed that Ash had a perfectly linear progression. Matter of fact my 2nd analysis post blatantly states that I’ve always thought of Ash’s progression as a rough zig-zag rather than a smooth line. More precisely my position would be that there is an increase in floor performance, aggregate performance and ceiling performance from OS -> AG -> DP -> XY for Ash.

On a side note it’s adorable that you thought a mathematician doesn’t take variables of uncertainty into account ^_^.

As for my line of thought, I was under the assumption DP and XY would be treated as separate entities.
I know and I made a counter assertion regarding how the archetype you were assigning to DP Ash would eventually morph into the archetype you were assigning to XY Ash.

Comparing quotes side-by-side, you will notice the quote is of a typical case of exemplification and not a specific example.
Right, so still no actual evidence that the specific individual in question (XY Ash) would end up going that route and he himself has made statements contradicting him going that route such as “getting stronger” and “starting from zero” even after his league quest ended.

The validity of your claims are called into question since you've resorted into ad hominem rather than properly looking into the form of argumentation.
LMAO you don’t even know how to cite fallacies properly. Ad Hominem would’ve been: Asserting your lack of credibility -> dismissing your argument on the basis of that lack of credibility without any consideration of its merits and de-merits. What I did:

Yeah the flaw in your assessment is that as an ‘underdog’ (what you consider DP Ash to be) is eventually going to keep getting better and better to the point where he becomes a ‘top dog’ (what you consider XY Ash to be) meaning DP Ash will eventually end up like XY Ash (oh look what do you know... another reason why XY Ash works so well as the successor of DP Ash; thanks!). Also this notion that XY Ash would become complacent is completely unfounded when applying what we know about his character from the show (matter of fact even DP Ash showed instances of conceit like in his battle with Kenny where he got wreckt hard due to underestimating his opponent by thinking he could try emulating Flint without consequence)
First gave a refutation of your main position on the basis of its inherent merits/de-merits meaning it's not ad hominem :).

though you are the same person who claimed that Ash smiled after loosing at the Kalos League out of apathy rather than out of admiration for Alain’s strength eventhough the evidence in the show makes it abundantly clear that the latter was the case,
Then I make a realization that this isn’t the first time you’ve had a position that doesn’t align with the information presented in the anime.

so I guess I shouldn’t expect you to care about what the information in the anime actually tells us in which case even the validity of your initial assessment of the archtypes DP and XY Ash represent comes into question.
Ending off with an inductive conclusion on your epistemology when assessing truth in the Pokémon anime and then questioning your credibility based on your previous positions including the 1 I had just refuted ergo I was never actually using your lack of credibility to dismiss your main position, therefore I did not commit ad hominem.

Was that clear enough for you, or do I need to give you a full lecture on argumentation theory ^_^?

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
But well, overall, DP Ash's planning, strategy+ switching XY Ash's pure creative skill to figure out solutions during battles, overall, I'd say, would make the greatest Ash (as a battler) ever. :)
Yeah you seem to be giving DP Ash a way bigger role in the “ideal Ash equation” than I do. In what way is DP Ash a better “planner” barring switching which you’ve mentioned as a separate category? Also why would DP Ash be the version whose ‘strategy stat’ is being used for an ideal Ash?

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yeah you seem to be giving DP Ash a way bigger role in the “ideal Ash equation” than I do. In what way is DP Ash a better “planner” barring switching which you’ve mentioned as a separate category? Also why would DP Ash be the version whose ‘strategy stat’ is being used for an ideal Ash?
Because switching is also an important part of a battle, sometimes which you switch your Pokemon at the right and appropriate moment in a battle it can be really useful. Like say how he quickly recalled Gible when it was having trouble against Lickylicky's Lick hax, which helped it to save enough energy against Dusknoir to beat it. Similarly switching out Noctowl (and Donphan) against Shuckle was useful too as Noctowl could get a win vs Lickylicly later on, switching out Gliscor against Ninjask also helped as it could get the big win against Drapion afterwards.

Also as for better planner, DP Ash had a knack/tendency of sending out his Pokemon in convenient matchups, a.k.a. in matchups where they would have the moveset advantage. Not as good as Paul at this obviously, but he still seemed to do it quite well.

Of course, DP Ash's strategy/planning would have a secondary role in an ideal Ash (as a battler) with XY Ash's creative and skillful 'thinking on his feet' to use totally out-of-the box unorthodox tactics to find out solutions in order to get out of tough jams in battles like Pikachu vs Aegislash having the primary role.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Because switching is also an important part of a battle, sometimes which you switch your Pokemon at the right and appropriate moment in a battle it can be really useful. Like say how he quickly recalled Gible when it was having trouble against Lickylicky's Lick hax, which helped it to save enough energy against Dusknoir to beat it. Similarly switching out Noctowl (and Donphan) against Shuckle was useful too as Noctowl could get a win vs Lickylicly later on, switching out Gliscor against Ninjask also helped as it could get the big win against Drapion afterwards.
Right and that’s the “switching category”.

Also as for better planner, DP Ash had a knack/tendency of sending out his Pokemon in convenient matchups, a.k.a. in matchups where they would have the moveset advantage. Not as good as Paul at this obviously, but he still seemed to do it quite well.
Excluding mid battle switching XY Ash also did this, so really this would also boil down to switching. In what way was DP Ash a better ‘planner’ that doesn’t include switching? DP Ash’s core pre-planned strategies were spin dodging, spinning/ice Aqua Jet and Counter Shield. For spin dodging full credit to the pre-planned aspect would go to Dawn who taught Ash and his Pokémon how to do it off-screen. Ash did make a different variant of it mid battle, but that would fall under improvisation rather than pre-planning. For Ice Aqua Jet Dawn would take credit for the idea though here Ash would take credit for perfecting it and for Counter Shield Ash would take credit for generalizing and expanding on Dawn’s idea regarding Ambipom’s rotating Swift maneuver. Counter Shield in particular is getting its own sub-essay from me in Analysis Post #5 because of how prevalent it is in discussions regarding how great DP Ash is. XY Ash displayed excellent pre-planned maneuvers in gyms 1 and 2 (already discussed in my first 2 Analysis Posts). The best case I can think of for DP Ash is Counter Shield’s more generalized utility (though Ash doesn’t seem to think so based on how much he actually used it given all the other chances when he could have).

Of course, DP Ash's strategy/planning would have a secondary role in an ideal Ash (as a battler) with XY Ash's creative and skillful 'thinking on his feet' to use totally out-of-the box unorthodox tactics to find out solutions in order to get out of tough jams in battles like Pikachu vs Aegislash having the primary role.
Again why are you assigning DP Ash the ‘strategy’ role? As far as I’m concerned the only thing DP Ash was outright better at than XY Ash was mid battle switching and even then mid battle switching sometimes came with drawbacks like exposing too much of you hand too early.

Switching: DP Ash
Ingenuity: Equal
Pre-Planning: Equal or DP Ash
Willpower: Equal or XY Ash
Move Chaining: XY Ash
Decision Making Speed: XY Ash
Confidence: XY Ash
Composure: XY Ash

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I agree mostly with what you said above but anyway it can't be denied that a good part of DP Ash's specialties are needed as constituents for making the 'ideal Ash' as a battler anime-wise. But yeah, it would mostly constitute of XY Ash's sheer battling skill, a.k.a. subtly figuring out solutions to tough situations in battle by thinking of his feet and implementing unorthodox and unconventional battling tactics with DP Ash's strategic competence and planning playing the secondary role. :)

Last edited:

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I would like to say regarding XY ash, the way he used unconventional as well as conventional methods to break the strategies while keeping calm head is what makes him the best, some examples are breaking valerie's trick room, olympia's fututre sight, clemont's electric terrain he break all of these strategies he broke without freaking out compare that to DP ash who freaked out after conway used trick room on him, i think XY ash would have broken paul's toxic spikes without losing 3 pokemon.