• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XY - Japanese/Worldwide airdates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMerle

Guess who's back
So basically X/Y is the first Pokémon game to be out worldwide (bar a few select countries) on the same date. Now the Anime has nearly always coincided with a new saga, or mini-saga kicking off at the same time as the game drops in it's respecting country. So my question is simple, will dub episodes start to come out on the same date as the Japanese episodes, obviously I know this may differ slightly country-to-country with TV Network issues or whatever, but I'm desperately praying that this is the case, - discuss!

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I doubt it. I think the dub will be going at the same pace it's at right now.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
No. This topic has been brought up in various threads, the Gogoat/Ghost episodes are logically timed to air around the same time of XY releases in the English dub for that sole purpose. Shopro most likely won't allow such a thing.

Possible but I doubt it.

If it did happen then maybe they would launch xy while still finishing BW. so both air at the same time.

SlimeStack

TPCi definitely care about this. They either changed sped up or moved episodes around to make sure the anime would air on the releases of some of the Ranger games, Black & White and Black 2 & White 2. If they could, I am certain they would.

But right now there isn't enough time between now and XY to speed through the 13 episode gap. It's the kind of project that needs to be thought about much sooner. They had about 1.5 years to shorten the gap between BW and B2W2 for instance.

Then there's also the time it takes to receive the episode and air it. What if TPCi only receive the episodes a week before they air in Japan? No matter how much work they put in, it's not going to be finished in time to air it at the same time. Or what if there are licensing issues that take a month to get through? It would mean the show could only air one month after Japan at the soonest even if they dub it in a day.

I would love a simultaneous dub and TPCi would eventually be able to reduce the gap from 13 to 0 if they put their mind to it. It really depends on the gap between receiving the episode and the Japanese airdate though, and I have a feeling it's too big for a simultaneous dub. They might be able to make the gap a little bit smaller again though.

DMerle

Guess who's back
No. This topic has been brought up in various threads, the Gogoat/Ghost episodes are logically timed to air around the same time of XY releases in the English dub for that sole purpose. Shopro most likely won't allow such a thing.

The question is though after BW134 - we have one more confirmed episode, then how long left does Best Wishes have in it? You're right that October 12th, the day X/Y comes out will be the date the Gogoat episode airs (as long as there aren't any breaks.) But Best Wishes could easily wrap up after 1/2 episodes, and then the dub would be 1/2 weeks behind, maybe even just days behind depending on which day the episodes air.

SlimeStack

The question is though after BW134 - we have one more confirmed episode, then how long left does Best Wishes have in it? You're right that October 12th, the day X/Y comes out will be the date the Gogoat episode airs (as long as there aren't any breaks.) But Best Wishes could easily wrap up after 1/2 episodes, and then the dub would be 1/2 weeks behind, maybe even just days behind depending on which day the episodes air.

Best Wishes will end on October 3rd at the earliest. The Japanese promotion and audience is much more important to them than the western world, so they're not going to end it early.

And if you read my post there are issues other than the actual episode gap.

DMerle

Guess who's back
Best Wishes will end on October 3rd at the earliest. The Japanese promotion and audience is much more important to them than the western world, so they're not going to end it early.

And if you read my post there are issues other than the actual episode gap.

You're acting as if the the episode would come out on Thursday, then there would be until Saturday to dub it, it doesn't work like that. The episodes are done weeks, months in advance - why do you think there are screenshots emerging already from these episodes? Sure they might not be the finished product but at this point they will be heavily in development. Lets say hypothetically Best Wishes wraps up on BW136, there's still the Genesect movie, the various specials associated with it, as well as the massive hype for X/Y. I'm pretty sure they could ride that out for 2 months.

adamfitz

poké-lover
Well the dub used to be extremely far behind, 12 months I think, but then it was changed to 6, and now 3
So I do hope that they can at least shorten the wait by a month or so
But I doubt it the Japanese audience is the important ones, a lot more so than us in the western world
I'm hoping that they do try something to shorten the 13 episode gap

SlimeStack

You're acting as if the the episode would come out on Thursday, then there would be until Saturday to dub it, it doesn't work like that. The episodes are done weeks, months in advance - why do you think there are screenshots emerging already from these episodes? Sure they might not be the finished product but at this point they will be heavily in development. Lets say hypothetically Best Wishes wraps up on BW136, there's still the Genesect movie, the various specials associated with it, as well as the massive hype for X/Y. I'm pretty sure they could ride that out for 2 months.

The episodes have to be 100% finished before they can be handed over to the dubbing team. We know they're handed over to TPCi a minimum of 2 weeks before the Japanese air date, and then the dubbing team have at least 3 months between receiving the episode and airing it. If we assume it really was 2 weeks, then that would mean they'd have to dub the show in 2 weeks in order for it to be simultaneous. I'm pretty sure it's more than 2 weeks, but you catch my drift.

DMerle

Guess who's back
The episodes have to be 100% finished before they can be handed over to the dubbing team. We know they're handed over to TPCi a minimum of 2 weeks before the Japanese air date, and then the dubbing team have at least 3 months between receiving the episode and airing it. If we assume it really was 2 weeks, then that would mean they'd have to dub the show in 2 weeks in order for it to be simultaneous. I'm pretty sure it's more than 2 weeks, but you catch my drift.

It's still entirely possible, they could quite easily air both BW and XY at the same time, they could wrap the Best Wishes episodes around the dub release of M16 so the viewership doesn't dive bomb dramatically, I'm not trying to argue it's certain just that it's possible, and more possible now than it ever has been before.

SlimeStack

It's still entirely possible, they could quite easily air both BW and XY at the same time, they could wrap the Best Wishes episodes around the dub release of M16 so the viewership doesn't dive bomb dramatically, I'm not trying to argue it's certain just that it's possible, and more possible now than it ever has been before.

The episode count isn't the issue. They've gone from 12 months behind to 3, they can easily drop that to 0. But if it takes a month to dub an episode and they don't get it a month in advance, simultaneous will be impossible is what I'm saying. And this assumes the Japanese companies involved will allow them to do it. Most animes aren't allowed dubs until the series is finished and on bluray.

DMerle

Guess who's back
The episode count isn't the issue. They've gone from 12 months behind to 3, they can easily drop that to 0. But if it takes a month to dub an episode and they don't get it a month in advance, simultaneous will be impossible is what I'm saying. And this assumes the Japanese companies involved will allow them to do it. Most animes aren't allowed dubs until the series is finished and on bluray.

The thing is I think everyone on this forum probably knows about 1/50th of what goes on behind the scenes than they actually do. They probably have all manner of time-crunching things they could do to make this a possibility and with this being the first ever 3DS Pokémon game, I'm sure the more hype they can give it the better, no matter which country this is. 3DS's are still a pretty big investment in today's console market, especially for a hand-held device, I think that's why there trying to cram so many new things into the game as possible, and the anime has always been one of the best marketing tools for selling games, so an English/Japanese anime side-by-side would be ideal.

SlimeStack

The thing is I think everyone on this forum probably knows about 1/50th of what goes on behind the scenes than they actually do. They probably have all manner of time-crunching things they could do to make this a possibility and with this being the first ever 3DS Pokémon game, I'm sure the more hype they can give it the better, no matter which country this is. 3DS's are still a pretty big investment in today's console market, especially for a hand-held device, I think that's why there trying to cram so many new things into the game as possible, and the anime has always been one of the best marketing tools for selling games, so an English/Japanese anime side-by-side would be ideal.

Well we know a simultaneous dub is what TPCi and the audience want, but that doesn't mean it's definitely possible.

We don't know everything about what goes on behind the scenes, but I do know some facts. Simultaneous game releases are possible because the script is translated while the game is still being made and require no voice actors to be hired, and I also know that dubbing work is done after an episode has been fully animated and voiced in Japanese. So that would mean the games are much quicker to come out than the anime. I also know that GameFreak has complete control over the games, while the anime has several shareholders and TV networks to deal with.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The very idea that the dub would ever release on the same day as Japan is absurd.

diakyu

Why do you guys think Alexa is being introduced so early? It's so the dub can have XY content in the anime when the games come out.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Why do you guys think Alexa is being introduced so early? It's so the dub can have XY content in the anime when the games come out.

To promote the games end of the story, you guys need to start understanding that the japanese don't do anything to fit the dub tastes by you guys I mean american dub watchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.