• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XY OU Team

Ekans647

Strongest Shield
This team is a Balance team which aims to set up hazards as quickly as possible, then start sweeping as soon as possible.

Deoxys-D (FOXDIE)
-Spikes
-Stealth Rocks
-Thunder Wave
-Psycho Boost
Item Attached: Red Card
Ability: Presure
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Serious Nature

FOXDIE is my suicide setter. Its goal is to paralyze the opponent and set up hazards. Spikes and Stealth Rocks for hazard damage, Thunder wave to slow down opposing pokemon, and Taunt to prevent being taunted. Red Card can force out a threatening sweeper and paralyze multiple pokemon. EVs in HP to give it enough bulk to take some hits and EVs in Speed to paralyze slower pokemon before they get forced out by Red Card. Serious Nature because I couldn't control the nature.

Excadrill M (Hoteye)
-Rapid Spin
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
Item Attached: Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 Sp.Def
Adamant Nature

Hoteye is my Rapid Spinner. Rapid Spin is the main focus of this set, removing any hazards, most notably Stealth Rocks, as would remove 50% of Kagutsuchi's HP and break PsychoMantis' Focus Sash. Rock Slide serves as coverage and to hit Charizard, Iron Head is used to hit Fairies. Earthquake functions as Hoteye's main STAB. With Assault Vest, he can take Special Attacks surprisingly well. The EVs in HP and Sp.Def increase his Special bulk and let Hoteye work as a Special wall of sorts. The rest of the EVs go into Attack to allow to hit with some actual force behind his attacks. Adamant Nature to reduce the amount of EVs needed to boost Attack.

Talonflame F (Kagutsuchi)
-Swords Dance
-Roost
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
Item Attached: Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature

Kagutsuchi is the first half of my Swords Dance core and cover Wrath's type disadvantages. Swords Dance to Boost Attack. Roost to heal off Stealth Rocks and recoil damage. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz for STAB. EVs to give her some bulk and work off of Gale Wings.

Gengar M (PsychoMantis)
-Destiny Bond
-Thunderbolt
-Sludge Bomb
-Shadow Ball
Item Attached: Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

Psycho Mantis is my Aegislash counter and overall disruptive pokemon. Destiny Bond is the main focus of this set. It takes down opposing threats and can take out one more pokemon before he is KO'ed. Thunderbolt for coverage, Sludge Wave to take out Fairies and Shadow Ball for STAB. Focus Sash is to take Aegislash's Shadow Sneak and KO it with Shadow Ball. Focus Sash also helps set up Destiny Bond. Typical EVs to maximize offensive power.

Greninja M (Shinso)
-U-Turn
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Surf
Item Attached: Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature

Shinso serves as the revenge killer and scout. U-turn is invaluable, allowing Shinso to pivot to a wall or create an opening for a sweeper. Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, and Surf are all for coverage and each get STAB from Protean. Life Orb to boost damage output. EVs to maximize offensive pressure.

Mawile F (Wrath)
-Swords Dance
-Ice Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Iron Head
Item Attached: Mawilite
Ability: Sheer Force --> Huge Power
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature

Wrath is the main focus of my team and as my Mega. Swords Dance, on top of Huge Power, quadtruples her Attack. Ice Punch allows Wrath to take down Landorus and Gliscor. Sucker Punch gives Wrath some form of priority. Iron Head is Wrath's STAB and takes out opposing Fairies. Mawilite is used to Mega Evolve Wrath. EVs in HP to take advantage of Wrath's bulk and EVs in Attack to boost Wrath's already ridiculous Attack. Sheer Force is there because this pokemon was transferred from PokeBank and because I'm too lazy to IV breed another one for the ability.

That's it! This is my first RMT so any constructive criticism would be helpful.

Last edited:

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
I do have a worry with your Deoxys-D, a lot of the things that do taunt nowdays, come from Prankster pokemon (Sableye | Thundurus | Whimisicott) in which case you'd get taunted before you did it yourself. Not to mention a lot of the things that DO use taunt, outspeed the hell out of Deoxys-D even with Speed invested in it, I'd really consider switching T-Wave or Spikes for an attack move, like Psycho Boost. I know you said it's a suicide lead but if they do catch you, you're really in for it. Even with a Red Card, if it works like I read just now, that only ejects those that make physical contact with it.

Your Talonflame says it's ability is Pressure. I'd also recommend U-Turn for Talonflame instead of Greninja, it's atk being non-existant as it is, at least Talonflame could do some damage scouting and Greninja could get a better coverage move.

Gengar is better with Sludge Bomb, +5 BP isn't worth +20% chance to poison.

I'd suggest Play Rough on Mawile instead of Iron Head as well as Intimidate instead of Sheer Force, making it take a hit better while it M-Evolves. you mentioned you're too lazy to breed another one, try to trade for an Ability capsule and switch it's Ability that way.

Does the wall have to "Rapid Spin" or remove entry hazards? Because there are other things that can do that.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Strongest Shield
Thanks for the tips!

For Deoxys D, I'll switch Taunt for Psycho Boost. About Red Card, it does switch the opponent even if they don't make contact. That's why Red Card works so well!

I'll switch Suldge wave for Sludge Bomb like you said.

I've tried unsing U-turn on Talonflame before and it doesn't scout as well as Greninja does. Greninja is already a revenge killer, so I can hit and run really well, while Talonflame is a sweeper. Once Talonflame is on the field , I want him to stay there. Thank you for telling me about the ability error on Talonflame though.

For Mawile, Ability Capsule is worthless. It can only change a pokemon's two standard abilities. In other words, it has no effect on pokemon with hidden abilities. Hopefully in ORAS, Ability Capsule with have some more use reagrding hidden abilities Also, I've tried running Play Rough and it has screwed me over one to many times. Missing a Play Rough generally costs me Mawile and sometimes even games. With Mawlie's already high Attack, she can hit hard regardless. (Steel is also my favorite type)

About the Rapid Spinner. It does have to be Rapid Spin, as Defog removes your own hazards as well.

Last edited:

❀Roselia❀

❀~Flower Artist~❀
Assault Vest Excadrill is a pretty good spinner and is surprisingly bulkier than it sounds. With Mold Breaker it can hit pretty much anything and it can't be poisoned or paralyzed with its great typing. Its not really a "Wall," but it can get its job done and can counter common users like sticky web galvantula, stealth rocks blissey, and gengar (since mold breaker nulifies levitate). Just giving a little option there.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
Thanks for the tips!

For Deoxys D, I'll switch Taunt for Psycho Boost. About Red Card, it does switch the opponent even if they don't make contact. That's why Red Card works so well!

I'll switch Sludge wave for Sludge Bomb like you said.

I've tried unsing U-turn on Talonflame before and it doesn't scout as well as Greninja does. Greninja is already a revenge killer, so I can hit and run really well, while Talonflame is a sweeper. Once Talonflame is on the field , I want him to stay there. Thank you for telling me about the ability error on Talonflame though.

For Mawile, Ability Capsule is worthless. It can only change a pokemon's two standard abilities. In other words, it has no effect on pokemon with hidden abilities. Hopefully in ORAS, Ability Capsule with have some more use reagrding hidden abilities Also, I've tried running Play Rough and it has screwed me over one to many times. Missing a Play Rough generally costs me Mawile and sometimes even games. With Mawlie's already high Attack, she can hit hard regardless. (Steel is also my favorite type)

About the Rapid Spinner. It does have to be Rapid Spin, as Defog removes your own hazards as well.

Like Roselia said, I was going to recommend Excadrill, if you want it to be bulky then you can use Assault Vest, if you want a more offensive one, you can use it with Air Balloon which makes it able to switch in safely on a predicted Poison/Electric/Ground move.

Hmm Red Card: http://serebii.net/itemdex/redcard.shtml this is what confused me~ so maybe Serebii is wrong in that regard then, since it says contact.

Talonflame: I feel you on that, basically when I throw mine out, it stays there until it dies 99% of the time, though mine has more speed than health.

Mawile: Damn, I thought that if it had it's HA, it would swap to one of the other abilities, not that it wouldn't work at all (I know Ability Capsule wont let you GET the HA, just not that you cant get it to change FROM a HA). Also yeah, my Play Rough has missed on some crucial times, same reason I got Scald on my Greninja vs. Hydro Pump, Accuracy, plus Scald has 30% chance to burn which is very nice.

Ekans647

Strongest Shield
Assault Vest Excadrill is a pretty good spinner and is surprisingly bulkier than it sounds. With Mold Breaker it can hit pretty much anything and it can't be poisoned or paralyzed with its great typing. Its not really a "Wall," but it can get its job done and can counter common users like sticky web galvantula, stealth rocks blissey, and gengar (since mold breaker nulifies levitate). Just giving a little option there.
I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation, Roselia!

Like Roselia said, I was going to recommend Excadrill, if you want it to be bulky then you can use Assault Vest, if you want a more offensive one, you can use it with Air Balloon which makes it able to switch in safely on a predicted Poison/Electric/Ground move.

Hmm Red Card: http://serebii.net/itemdex/redcard.shtml this is what confused me~ so maybe Serebii is wrong in that regard then, since it says contact.

Talonflame: I feel you on that, basically when I throw mine out, it stays there until it dies 99% of the time, though mine has more speed than health.

Mawile: Damn, I thought that if it had it's HA, it would swap to one of the other abilities, not that it wouldn't work at all (I know Ability Capsule wont let you GET the HA, just not that you cant get it to change FROM a HA). Also yeah, my Play Rough has missed on some crucial times, same reason I got Scald on my Greninja vs. Hydro Pump, Accuracy, plus Scald has 30% chance to burn which is very nice.
Scald on Greninja? Than's interesting. Generally I see Scald on Bulky Waters but the 30% burn chance could save Greninja. Should I run Scald or Surf?

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
Up to you on Scald Vs. Surf, I use Scald on mine because while it's not as strong 30% chance to burn is pretty good, making physical attackers do half damage once burned. That, and I don't really have a "Burn" inflict-er in my team so used that as a method to inflict it.

Nightshade Aran

Hydreigon Summoner
From Smogon:

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Atk / 252 SpD
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

MisterHibiki

simon ferocious
Deo-D isn't a suicide hazard setter, at least not how you're playing him, so he seems best to absorb Physical attacks so if your team is wanting to focus more heavily on gaining an offensive edge, I advise you play Surf over Scald, as you're not looking to cripple but rather gain offensive pressure as quickly as possible.

Ekans647

Strongest Shield
Added Excadrill to the team after testing. Work very wells and has synergy with Deoxys-D. If there is any flaws in my team, please let me know.

FlareBlitz3000

Legg University QB
Deoxys-D has almost no offensive presence whatsoever, so it won't make very good use of Psycho Boost. I would recommend an EV spread of 228 HP/ 28 Atk / 252 Spd and your attack should be Superpower. Many people can easily predict a Deo-D lead and lead with their Bisharp(very common). The 28 in Attack guarantees the OHKO on Bisharp with Superpower. Very few people expect it.

The Mustache

I advise you to use starmie as a spinner over excadrill... eXCADRILL IS NOT THAT BULKY and starmie can do the job beter. Besides geninja is changing type constantly so you won't have two water types. Moreover starmie can still focus on attacking and be a spinner.

KillerDraco

I advise you to use starmie as a spinner over excadrill... eXCADRILL IS NOT THAT BULKY and starmie can do the job beter.

Nothing about this statement is even remotely true. Excadrill is the premier Rapid Spinner right now while Starmie actually dropped down to UU for the first time in its entire history. You say Excadrill isn't bulky yet Starmie's bulk is even worse; Excadrill's lower defenses are counterbalanced by significantly higher HP. Excadrill takes less damage from hazards than Starmie does, given Starmie takes 4x more damage from Stealth Rock than Excadrill does (3.125% for Excadrill vs. 12.5% for Starmie), and Excadrill is immune to Toxic Spikes. Starmie may be able to cure status when switching due to Natural Cure, but Excadrill's immunities to Electric and Poison let it switch in on Toxic/Thunder Wave with ease. It's also less vulnerable to pursuit trapping than Starmie is. Furthermore...

Moreover starmie can still focus on attacking and be a spinner.

...Excadrill's base 135 attack isn't just for show. It's got solid coverage with Rock Slide, Earthquake, and Iron Head, and Mold Breaker also lets it annihilate Levitate Pokemon such as Rotom-W and Gengar, who would otherwise be able to switch into its Earthquakes.

Ekans647

Strongest Shield
Deoxys-D has almost no offensive presence whatsoever, so it won't make very good use of Psycho Boost. I would recommend an EV spread of 228 HP/ 28 Atk / 252 Spd and your attack should be Superpower. Many people can easily predict a Deo-D lead and lead with their Bisharp(very common). The 28 in Attack guarantees the OHKO on Bisharp with Superpower. Very few people expect it.

I'll definetly test this. This sounds like a great idea.