• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XY (the anime series) manga?

SlimeStack

Assuming nothing has been announced, can we expect any manga based on the XY TV series to show up at any point? I know the movies all receive adaptations, but does Pokémon have a consistent history of adapting some episodes or releasing original filler stories? Preferably stuff that has a chance in being localised. Thanks in advance for any information.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Yes, actually. There are several manga based off the series other than the movies.

As for a chance of being localized? Don't count on it.

There's also this, but I'm not 100% sure on what it actually is.

SlimeStack

Eep, I would buy the flark out of that manga. The art style matches the show very well.

So I guess the movie comics are all we're probably going to get? That's a shame. I guess if there was a straight adaptation of the show somewhere Viz would probably view it as being too similar to Pokémon Special/Adventures.

Thanks for the info.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
Yes, actually. There are several manga based off the series other than the movies.

As for a chance of being localized? Don't count on it.

There's also this, but I'm not 100% sure on what it actually is.

is this even true. i only heard of a xy manga but not a xy manga anime style

Honeyichigo

The manliest
That looks like one of the promotional short comics that show up in magazines sometimes. They're usually only a couple pages long and I don't think they get collected in volumes at all. It's too bad, I'd really like to see some Pokemanga besides Special and the movie mangas get localized.

LordSerperior

I'm not a fan of the anime so I don't really know much about it but I've only ever heard of a manga adaption of the very first season of the anime, i think it's called the electric tale or something

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
is this even true. i only heard of a xy manga but not a xy manga anime style

I wasn't even talking about that.

I was talking about the various manga adaptations for the anime.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
I wasn't even talking about that.

I was talking about the various manga adaptations for the anime.

oh sorry if i misunderstood, seems like to me its a fan-made comic of some sort

Honeyichigo

The manliest
I'm not a fan of the anime so I don't really know much about it but I've only ever heard of a manga adaption of the very first season of the anime, i think it's called the electric tale or something

There's a couple others, but they're not very well known- Ash and Pikachu covers parts of Johto and Hoenn, and there's a DP anime-based manga as well.

Izanagi

'Sup!
I really don't see the point of buying manga adaptation of the anime. The anime itself isn't all that great and see no reason to read it as manga since by definition it loses anything that makes the anime special. I really don't want to read manga adaptation of the movie since the movie are always given higher budgets. EToP is an exception since it actually expands and differentiates from the anime in many ways.

SlimeStack

Well I do like the anime, especially the XY one (so far). I'd like a manga because I like reading manga. A lot of the anime I watch I also have in manga form.

It doesn't have to be a straight adaptation anyway, it could be side stories or alternative takes (like Digimon Xros Wars).

Izanagi

'Sup!
Well I do like the anime, especially the XY one (so far). I'd like a manga because I like reading manga. A lot of the anime I watch I also have in manga form.

It doesn't have to be a straight adaptation anyway, it could be side stories or alternative takes (like Digimon Xros Wars).

I would prefer it it were not a straight adapation. I would want for different stories to me told or for certain ideas to be expanded upon. I know it was cliche to say I didn't like the anime but simply because it doesn't appeal to me personally. If it did I would be watching it more often. I don't mind if other's enjoy it.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Actually, from what I can gather, the other anime-based manga series didn't follow it that closely either. They weren't as far out there as EToP, but they still took some liberties.

Izanagi

'Sup!
Actually, from what I can gather, the other anime-based manga series didn't follow it that closely either. They weren't as far out there as EToP, but they still took some liberties.

The more liberties the better. Why would I want to see a straight adaptation when you already have the anime to watch?

SlimeStack

The more liberties the better. Why would I want to see a straight adaptation when you already have the anime to watch?

You do realise that not every manga fan watches anime, right? That's like saying why read a book when there's a movie.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
You do realise that not every manga fan watches anime, right? That's like saying why read a book when there's a movie.

I don't actually think that invalidates what Izanagi said- if the manga fan never watches the anime, then it doesn't matter to them what they might be missing, right?

SlimeStack

I don't actually think that invalidates what Izanagi said- if the manga fan never watches the anime, then it doesn't matter to them what they might be missing, right?

He made it seem like the manga and anime have to be different as if every manga reader has already seen the anime. That's what I'm disagreeing with.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
He made it seem like the manga and anime have to be different as if every manga reader has already seen the anime. That's what I'm disagreeing with.

I parsed that as him personally having seen the anime, he wouldn't want exactly the same thing in manga form, but his wording was a bit confused. -shrug-

SlimeStack

I parsed that as him personally having seen the anime, he wouldn't want exactly the same thing in manga form, but his wording was a bit confused. -shrug-

Can we just agree that all 3 things are true then lol?

-Manga readers haven't all seen the anime
-People who do both might want different things
-Manga-only readers won't know/care about the differences anyway