• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XY's pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcySealeo

Many people discussed about the XY saga, but I've never seen a discussion about its pace.

I wonder if it will be a faster saga much like BW (and especially early BW) or the writers will go back to the DP pace?

What do you think?

I Think fast pace for the first half, then a little slower after a certain point.

RickHoenn

Banned
I want a pace similar to Hoenn's. 13-15 episodes gap for every gym.

BW pace mostly I think the games itself won't last for more than three years (whole generation, I mean). The more generations we get, the faster game production could become and the faster the next generation would come. So, I think 3 years is the number for now.

LizardonX

Banned
It should be the length of BW only this time cut out the unecessary stuff like the BW2 pre league, EPN, and Da to conclude at the league.

Dax

Legend
My favorite pace so far has been Hoenn's so I hope they follow that one. BW's was too rushed, making everything come out of nowhere and leaving no room for development. DP's was the opposite, too slow and too tiring. Hoenn's was the perfect balance.

dman_dustin

I want something similar to DP, only I don't want year gaps between gyms, maybe 6 months should be the longest gap between gyms and the only reason there should be gaps is to add development for the Pokemon and not a string of pointless stupid fillers. .

If they really need to fill the space between 6th gen, and the hypothetical 7th generation, they could just make some important filler arc, saga or whatever, but not by rushing the league.

I hate that. Focus on what's important, and let it naturally do its thing and conclude, then create a filler saga/arc.

Don't rush the league just to get to the damn filler saga/arc because that's freaking stupid since most of DA was completely and utterly pointless.

So I want XY to have its own pace, I want it to be long to add development, allow for certain important Pokemon to fully evolve. but I don't want it to drag its feet. Nor do I want any rush jobs, to get to pointless things.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
BW pace mostly I think the games itself won't last for more than three years (whole generation, I mean). The more generations we get, the faster game production could become and the faster the next generation would come. So, I think 3 years is the number for now.

I would prefer there not be another situation like two generations on one system again. There looks like a lot of content in X and Y and three years is a bit too short for every generation to be like that. It worked for Gen V because of BW's story, it only needed a sequel and everything was kinda quick.

At least 4 years is a good time frame, especially with how much is changing in these games. Also, the faster games are produced doesn't mean the quality will be great. They need to take their time, especially being in 3D now

thetamale

It depends on what else is in XY. Because BW unfortunately only had gyms there wasn't really much going on. We don't know what other career paths if any are in the games yet, or if there'll be anime exclusive ones.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I would say that something similar to Hoenn would be a good starting point. Maybe have the gap between gyms be around ten to fifteen episodes; closer to ten if there is no second quest for Serena and closer to fifteen if there is. This would allow for the writers to take their time with the League if X/Y is short, much like BW was. If it's longer, then they will have a good chance for a post-League quest such as the Elite Four, a Champion's League, or a Battle Frontier.

dman_dustin

LOL at the person who negative rep'd me, seriously LOL.

I would prefer there not be another situation like two generations on one system again. There looks like a lot of content in X and Y and three years is a bit too short for every generation to be like that. It worked for Gen V because of BW's story, it only needed a sequel and everything was kinda quick.

At least 4 years is a good time frame, especially with how much is changing in these games. Also, the faster games are produced doesn't mean the quality will be great. They need to take their time, especially being in 3D now

I'd actually not be okay with Gamefreak being tied one generation a system.

They should come up with generations at their own pace.

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
LOL at the person who negative rep'd me, seriously LOL.

I'd actually not be okay with Gamefreak being tied one generation a system.

They should come up with generations at their own pace.

I can agree with it depending on the situation. Like with Gen V it felt like they were working on little things that would get better with the 3DS, like Global Link, better sprites, etc.

What I wouldn't want is the mindset of "Okay we need to make a filler generation so we have a couple years for the big stuff". Which is kinda what Gen V was to a certain extent, but done correctly

RickHoenn

Banned
XY, if it's a 3 year generation it should take the whole 140+ episodes for the Kalos arc, no post league stuff like Episode N or DA!.

Just focus on the Kalos region until the very end of the saga and save the league for last, being episodes XY134-XY140 for example.

I hope new generations will come every 3 years from now on.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I'd take AG's pace and add in DP's development... I mean there's no point in rushing through a journey if nothing important comes afterwards. That's where BW's suffered, it rushed the main aspects of Ash's journey, even the end point (The League). But I'm keeping my expectations low, so I'll take whatever I receive at this point

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I want something similar to DP, only I don't want year gaps between gyms, maybe 6 months should be the longest gap between gyms and the only reason there should be gaps is to add development for the Pokemon and not a string of pointless stupid fillers. .

If they really need to fill the space between 6th gen, and the hypothetical 7th generation, they could just make some important filler arc, saga or whatever, but not by rushing the league.

I hate that. Focus on what's important, and let it naturally do its thing and conclude, then create a filler saga/arc.

Don't rush the league just to get to the damn filler saga/arc because that's freaking stupid since most of DA was completely and utterly pointless.

So I want XY to have its own pace, I want it to be long to add development, allow for certain important Pokemon to fully evolve. but I don't want it to drag its feet. Nor do I want any rush jobs, to get to pointless things.

Dman, I feel you on the negative rep thing.. I get them as well, and it just feels like people are just itching to give a quick stab without their name on it...

I want XY to last four years, it should be obvious that they only held the Black and White games for three years because of the console shift. There's no console shift in sight, so they'll likely keep it for the traditional four years.

There's just the 'year gaps' thing you linked to DP. There was only one year gap, and that was because they had to do the Grand Festival, certain key evolutions and captures, rival battles, E4/Brain-battles, Galactic plot finale, the works.. If you take those all out, you only had like perhaps 9 fillers in that entire year? Keeping in mind that there were a few 'promotional'-episodes that were mostly selling Johto for HgSs.. I never felt that there was any stretching in DP, because that arc was just that filled.

Other then that, I agree. Unless it's too complete several arcs and add high level additional battles, I'm inclined to say 6 months tops, but if the former is all added, then I wouldn't object to 8...

I can agree with it depending on the situation. Like with Gen V it felt like they were working on little things that would get better with the 3DS, like Global Link, better sprites, etc.

What I wouldn't want is the mindset of "Okay we need to make a filler generation so we have a couple years for the big stuff". Which is kinda what Gen V was to a certain extent, but done correctly

Do you mean, that the fifth generation did anything correctly, or that it wa.. nah.. that trainwreck couldn't be considered doing anything correctly.. Good troll.. :p

dman_dustin

There's just the 'year gaps' thing you linked to DP. There was only one year gap, and that was because they had to do the Grand Festival, certain key evolutions and captures, rival battles, E4/Brain-battles, Galactic plot finale, the works.. If you take those all out, you only had like perhaps 9 fillers in that entire year? Keeping in mind that there were a few 'promotional'-episodes that were mostly selling Johto for HgSs.. I never felt that there was any stretching in DP, because that arc was just that filled.

Other then that, I agree. Unless it's too complete several arcs and add high level additional battles, I'm inclined to say 6 months tops, but if the former is all added, then I wouldn't object to 8...

Yeah I get that but too many people complained, despite all the non filler, and you know looking back, I actually agree to an extent, no matter how much focus was given on the Pokemon and story plots, nothing was happening in regards to the Pokemon league and gyms.

I do enjoy all the focus and development that was given, but a year really is just too long for that sort of thing.

Which is why 6 months should be the max. A year is about 50 episodes six months is about 25 episodes. I'd really like to see only gaps be only around 25 episodes for gyms. But sure I'll take 8 months only if a lot of interesting things happen like lots of evolutions and development.

But definitely not a year. That's like more than 40 titles with no gym battle in sight. 40 episodes might not seem like a lot but when you equate them to weeks. That's 40 weeks, or 280 days, which is a very long time waiting for something to happen.

That's what I meant, and until we actually get lots of development episodes between long gaps, odds are it will primarily be filler, which is what I don't want.

I'd rather take 3 tournaments 4 episodes a piece for 12 episode plus maybe six episode in between each tournament over some random filler episode that I don't care about.

If there can be a filler that can utilize Ash's underused Pokemon, then great, filler away. If it's only going to involve Pikachu from Ash, whatever from Serena, and whatever from Clemont then no, hell no. I hate those episodes, unless they are action packed like the Subway train two parter, although the 2nd episode was better than the first (and I wasn't even expecting to like that two parter).

So it depends on entirely lots of things. But I definitely don't want pointless episodes, that clearly exist just to make something down the line shorter or rushed.

I think the only reason Sinnoh's last stretch was so long and the ending was so rushed is because they planned out all the story arcs but had to drop everything to promote heartgold and soulsilver

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Do you mean, that the fifth generation did anything correctly, or that it wa.. nah.. that trainwreck couldn't be considered doing anything correctly.. Good troll.. :p

I was talking about the games. If the games' generation have 4 years, then that's a 4 year series that won't be rushed and sloppy like BW.(Although DP was pretty rushed at the very end) That's why I would prefer 4 years per generation instead of three

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Just as long as we don't have the league end 30-40 episodes before the saga finale, and then have random filler sagas.

Status
Not open for further replies.