• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XY's pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimeStack

3 years is perfect for the Kalos League IMO. Hoenn had the perfect length and pacing, but Sinnoh was too long and after the 7th badge the pacing was too slow. I don't know if Best Wishes was originally planning to cover Team Plasma's invasion of the Unova League from BW before B2W2 changed everything (which would make the league's placement quite sensible), but compared to what we got I think it could have benefited from 3 full years in Unova instead of all the hopping around and then leaving for Decolore we got after the league. I feel like it just caused Ash's team to be a bit rushed in development from all the setting changes and having to do the biggest battles in the league so early on.

If this gen turns out to be a year longer, then once again took to AG. The Pokémon League came at the perfect time and then everyone had a new adventure packed with more contests and Frontier battles to fill up the last year and promote all the newer games (FRLG, Emerald).

Squirtle_007

Ash vs. Viola being promoted on the trailers makes me think it will be in the first episodes, maybe 5th. or 6th. which sends the AG/DP pacing down to the toilet

NeoDude-5000

I think the series will probably be like Diamond and Pearl in terms of length (about 3-4-ish years). But I'm hoping for not a overload amount of pointless fillers like in Johto.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Ash vs. Viola being promoted on the trailers makes me think it will be in the first episodes, maybe 5th. or 6th. which sends the AG/DP pacing down to the toilet

Well, not really.. The placement of the first Gym won't set the pacing for the rest of the Kalos saga. It'll be the timing between the Gyms thereafter which sets the pace.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Well, not really.. The placement of the first Gym won't set the pacing for the rest of the Kalos saga. It'll be the timing between the Gyms thereafter which sets the pace.

This.

Am I in the minority that thinks the stretch between Gym 7 and Gym 8 wasn't really as 'draggy' as many people had said? I mean, there was filler episodes and all, but too many things happened:

- Paul Backstory with Brendan
- Paul vs Ash at Lake Verity
- Dawn's Mamoswine Episodes
- Twinleaf Episodes
- HGSS Promotional Episodes
- Team Galactic Finale
- Ash's Team Development (Gliscor and Gible capture, Infernape evolution)
- Dawn vs Ursula, 5th ribbon
- Ash vs Flint
- Bertha
- Togekiss two-episodes
- Grand Festival

In my opinion, the one year gap didn't really bother me much. So yeah... Anyways, since it's off topic: I'm hoping XY to have about AG's pace. BW was too rushed for my taste, and most of the Pokemon weren't explored well enough.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
One year between gyms was sort of too much, but if you think about it, in the games there is a good amount of time between the 7th and 8th gym too. BW had no good excuse though and they went beyond rushing it. They probably way overshot the fact that either the saga would be shorter without a remake, or wanted to end the league in prep for a saga for gen 3 remakes. Either way, no more ending the saga on filler sagas like episode n and da.

nuzamaki90

If anything, take the Hoenn route as its already looking like what this saga is doing. Hoenn was the best we've got pacing wise where everything felt right, nothing was rushed, and as an icing on the cake we got the glorious Battle Frontier arc at the end.

Kalos is the biggest region we've gotten so far so there should be tons of things to do and thus tons of things to base episodes off of. If we get the kind of development for characters and Pokemon AG and DP had, plus the story pacing AG had, we'll have the best series yet. It's got the potential, now it's just the writers turn to deliver.

mockingjay

swift and lol
Back to the traditional 4 year pacing like it was in Hoenn. I don't think the developers are in a rush for another gen game, they're going to (hopefully) do it on the next console.

Black and White were filler years IMO, made just to stall time until the 3DS were more popular for X/Y.

dman_dustin

Back to the traditional 4 year pacing like it was in Hoenn. I don't think the developers are in a rush for another gen game, they're going to (hopefully) do it on the next console.

Black and White were filler years IMO, made just to stall time until the 3DS were more popular for X/Y.

I'm pretty sure it was said that Black and White were heavy in development when the 3DS came out, and couldn't just transition it into the 3DS so that's why it was on the DS.

It may seem like filler for Nintendo and Us, but I'm sure it wasn't treated like that by Gamefreak.

Herdheaven

I would probably like it if XY had pacing similar to DP. I liked AG pacing but I didn't like it that Ash didnt get a Sceptile until after the league. I liked DP because I felt at the league Ash was at his best and his Sinnoh team was fully developed. If they want to go the way AG did with a battle frontier I would sort of like it that if Ash would collect the eight badges quicker than DP and is ready for the league but Team Flare or someone would make the league be postponed so Ash could go do a Battle Frontier type of tournament to get ready for the league that would happen in the last seven or eight episode last of XY.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
This.

Am I in the minority that thinks the stretch between Gym 7 and Gym 8 wasn't really as 'draggy' as many people had said? I mean, there was filler episodes and all, but too many things happened:

- Paul Backstory with Brendan
- Paul vs Ash at Lake Verity
- Dawn's Mamoswine Episodes
- Twinleaf Episodes
- HGSS Promotional Episodes
- Team Galactic Finale
- Ash's Team Development (Gliscor and Gible capture, Infernape evolution)
- Dawn vs Ursula, 5th ribbon
- Ash vs Flint
- Bertha
- Togekiss two-episodes
- Grand Festival

In my opinion, the one year gap didn't really bother me much. So yeah... Anyways, since it's off topic: I'm hoping XY to have about AG's pace. BW was too rushed for my taste, and most of the Pokemon weren't explored well enough.

you're definitely not alone. I was completely sucked I to DP whether it was a gym episode or not because the story had the most continuity out of all of them. and that's what I want for XY regardless of the pace. just for it to feel like it was well-written. with development actually existing. BW was a fun series honestly it just lacked actual development.
but ya I think having characters with achievable side goals like dawn did will also help the saga feel less stretched out because if it's just all about ash and there's any fillers, it feels rushed like BW did. TBH the pokemon companies (both game and anime companies) seem to have really learned from their mistakes and want to make up for it I'm a very "above and beyond" manner. XY is seemingly becoming the most anticipated pokemon gen ever. and for good reasons too. everybody seems to love it and I completely understand why some are skeptical about the anime but I have faith that the writers will do this saga some justice.

and also, I know this is way in the future but I hope that there's a filler saga again but has ash return to sinnoh/johto for the DPPtHGSS battle frontier. it would be a good way to advertise remakes since some (a few) believe they're entirely skipping gen 3 remakes and instead remaking gen 4 games.

Last edited:

ConUxie223

Kalos Trap Queen
I'm hoping it will have it's own unique pace just like every series prior... Cause, you know basing your hopes and dreams for XY based on a previous Saga that you liked will only lead to disappoint...

This isn't AG 2.0, not DP 2.0, and most certainly not BW 2.0 o_O I fail to see why it should have an already predetermined pace when it's an entirely new series- this is truly killing me guys... Why does XY have to be like an old series in order for you to enjoy it?

If you really want a series like AG or DP then go re-watch them and try not to set your hopes on XY being like them, please

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm hoping it will have it's own unique pace just like every series prior... Cause, you know basing your hopes and dreams for XY based on a previous Saga that you liked will only lead to disappoint...

This isn't AG 2.0, not DP 2.0, and most certainly not BW 2.0 o_O I fail to see why it should have an already predetermined pace when it's an entirely new series- this is truly killing me guys... Why does XY have to be like an old series in order for you to enjoy it?

If you really want a series like AG or DP then go re-watch them and try not to set your hopes on XY being like them, please

We'll like it for what it is, that's the bottomline, but before it starts, we're proposing our preferences to what it might mirror, partially.

You know just as well as I that a pace isn't all that defines a series. There are more factors: Storylines, development, characters, that have nothing to do with pace, (and thus mean that regardless of pace being similar, the stories may be radically different) but who can be affected by pace.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Ugh, well it looks like Ash will challenge Viola rather quickly, so I'm guessing that XY will be another rushed saga like BW was. I fully expect DA 2.0 three years from now if that's the case. Hopefully I'm wrong though and the pace is DP-esque. I wouldn't even mind fillers in between major events in XY if they're actually well thought out and entertaining.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Hoenn pace please. Twas a nice balance.

Sinnoh had inconsistent stretches in-between gyms and Unova had an okay pace if the saga hadn't intended to rush through it and make filler hell after it.

Canada

Banned
Rush every single gym by episode 50 and give us fillers afterwards.

I love fillers.

My favorite part of fillers is when Team Rocket shows up.

(But to be actually serious, I'd like a fast pace as long as the character development is still okay. And as long as it's not as fast as Street Comedy here described.)

I want it to be paced like AG maybe even DP if it leads to development
I want them to end the series with the league or atleast have him compete in another OI league/battle frontier

mockingjay

swift and lol
I'm pretty sure it was said that Black and White were heavy in development when the 3DS came out, and couldn't just transition it into the 3DS so that's why it was on the DS.

It may seem like filler for Nintendo and Us, but I'm sure it wasn't treated like that by Gamefreak.

Which is exactly on why it's a filler year. They had no new console to work with, they knew one was coming but it wasn't coming soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.