• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XY's pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navin

MALDREAD
Holy cow, some of you guys really like long regions. 4 years seems forever...heck if everything works out, by that time I'd be a third year medical school student by then :/

Honestly, I'd prefer 2-2.5 years. There's already not that many new Pokemon in Kalos, and I'd prefer a more story-driven series rather than fillers. But it seems the writers in BW didn't know how to handle a faster pace, so if they haven't learned from their mistakes, then I guess 3-3.5 years would be ideal.

XY cannot be 4-years. We have very few new pokemon and I doubt Hoenn remakes are any sort of priority at this point. There's no way what they've given us (even with megas) can hold everyone's interest for 4 years. The fact that Ash battles at Viola's gym early on even further proves this is another 3-year series.

Besides it's smarter to release another gen by 2016 for the 3DS than it is to wait until 2017.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
XY cannot be 4-years. We have very few new pokemon and I doubt Hoenn remakes are any sort of priority at this point. There's no way what they've given us (even with megas) can hold everyone's interest for 4 years. The fact that Ash battles at Viola's gym early on even further proves this is another 3-year series.

Besides it's smarter to release another gen by 2016 for the 3DS than it is to wait until 2017.

Viola's Gym being shown early on really means nothing. We know that in the games, there is quite a distance between the first and second Gyms, which could very well also be the case in the anime. Furthermore, you appear to be only thinking about what they can take from the games and not what they can add as anime exclusive material. Add a gym rematch or two, tournament and villain arcs, good training episodes and the still very possible side quest for Serena into the equation, PLUS whatever the third installment brings to the table and the standard filler quota.. and there you have four years worth of episodes that can be created without even breaking a sweat..

A lot of work goes into 3D gaming, we know this because of how long X&Y were in production. Expecting another pair of new games including not only a whole new region, but approximately 70-100 more fully animated Pokemon in less than 4 years is pushing it. If we see a 7th generation on the 3DS, I'll be shocked and amazed..

Last edited:
Viola's Gym being shown early on really means nothing. We know that in the games, there is quite a distance between the first and second Gyms, which could very well also be the case in the anime. Furthermore, you appear to be only thinking about what they can take from the games and not what they can add as anime exclusive material. Add a gym rematch or two, tournament and villain arcs, good training episodes and the still very possible side quest for Serena into the equation, PLUS whatever the third installment brings to the table and the standard filler quota.. and there you have four years worth of episodes that can be created without even breaking a sweat..

A lot of work goes into 3D gaming, we know this because of how long X&Y were in production. Expecting another pair of new games including not only a whole new region, but approximately 70-100 more fully animated Pokemon in less than 4 years is pushing it. If we see a 7th generation on the 3DS, I'll be shocked and amazed..

Sorry but what you listed can easily be fit into a 3-year saga. Even if Serena does have a sidequest, it's not likely to be as important as contests so it's not gonna take a lot of screentime. I just can't see this gen lasting 4 years with the low number of pokemon we've gotten. You expect these 69 new pokes to keep everyone interested for 4 years? I don't see it happening, especially with how weak the designs are.

You're exaggerating. It took them a while to create the XY games because everything was done from scratch. Now that they have the models and formula, it shouldn't take them 4 years to release another gen.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Regardless of what the games do, a huge gap of 30 or more episodes between the first and second Gym is a bad idea. With the length of that part of the games, 40 or even 50 episodes between Viola and Grant might not be out of the question, but with no sideplots going on, fillers again relying on Team Rocket's idiocy and Team Flare presumably largely MIA like every villain team this early on, that much of a gap between Gyms that early on runs a high risk of viewers losing interest. DP at least had the sense to save its ridiculous gaps for late in the region when at least small fractions of them were filled by the Galactic and Contest subplots.

Regardless of what the games do, a huge gap of 30 or more episodes between the first and second Gym is a bad idea. With the length of that part of the games, 40 or even 50 episodes between Viola and Grant might not be out of the question, but with no sideplots going on, fillers again relying on Team Rocket's idiocy and Team Flare presumably largely MIA like every villain team this early on, that much of a gap between Gyms that early on runs a high risk of viewers losing interest. DP at least had the sense to save its ridiculous gaps for late in the region when at least small fractions of them were filled by the Galactic and Contest subplots.

Agreed. The anime has no obligation to follow the games. A huge 30 episode gap right off the bat will definitely be a bad idea. The game had a lot of filler stuff with very little plot going on between gym 1 and gym 2. I hope they don't translate the gap in the games into the anime unless they have some kind of side plot or something..........perhaps related to Mega Evolutions. I am still wondering how they will tackle the whole thing in the anime. I mean, the whole gym battles and collecting badges is old and repetitive, and the stuff worth watching right now is these sideplots. In BW, I liked the rivals, don battle tournaments and stuff like TR plot and Episode N, DP entertained me with Paul and Chimchar storyline, along with Team Galactic. The XY anime needs some kind of selling point too.

pokemon fan 132

Saga stretched over 3 years would seem like ideal pace to go through imo. Nevertheless given how new XY games introduced relatively limited pool of new pokemon to promote(69 or 70) with rest being covered through mega evolutionsm of mainly pokemon from previous generation doesn't really give enough material on its own to make worthy and meaningful adventure stretched over 200+ episodes. Not saying writers couldn't come up with something of their own like Orange League was but in all honesty this show is still primarily focused just on marketing rather than adventure and quality of tale itself (especially nowadays) with amount of advertizing material determining for how long certain series will last.

I definitely wouldn't welcome another Sinnoh saga pace. Sitting through gyms and contests dragged out over same region for four full years wasting lot of time on all those perfection of attacks and incredibly long gap between Snowpoint and Sunnyshore was jarring to follow at least for me(and people say Johto was long). I always felt 4th year should been dedicated to somesort of side adventure like Johto BF bringing refreshing change and new twist to storyline serving as break from gyms and repetivity.

Another shorter paced series like BW could have potential if handled right with writers not rushing with Ash plow through gyms or cramming too many things at once at certain point in saga while doing nothing with story and character development in second half(like coughDAcough).
In reality even one year or one and a half a year long saga can be entertaining feeling like things are going somewhere if there is lot of creativity and unique plots present there regardless of rushed way through which story is executed. Kanto and Orange comes to mind but such style i can understand isn't for everyone.

So in my opinion balanced pace consisted of three year long saga with adequate distribution of screen time among all characters, reasonable gap between gyms and whatever competitions Ash travel companions might enter leaving time to properly have things play out without feeling contrived and incoherent.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
All I'm saying is, since they have access to the older Pokemon this time around, don't be surprised if this saga gets fleshed out with fillers involving Mareep, Wailmer, etc..

It won't take much to make up another fifty or so episodes for a fourth year. Also, don't underestimate the work that goes into the games and how long it'll take for it all to come together for the next generation..

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Three~Four years are pretty ideal. It'd give enough time to promote most areas in-game and provide good proper character development and of course, I'm still crossing my fingers for Lanturn filler.

As for the first to second gym transition, I'm guessing a two~three months gap will suffice for the huge gap between the two gyms in-game. While the anime doesn't entirely follow the games, it's pretty much made to promote the game so yeah... lwl

~Magic Thunderbolt~

3 years should be fine.

There's a pretty long gap between Viola and Grant though (even longer than the gap between the next four gyms combined). I think we'll see October 2014 around Shalour City and the fight against Korrina. Then from there it's a pretty quick progression unless they take time to invest in the racing arc.

The gap between Anistar and Snowbelle might not be that major if Team Flare has a smaller role in the animé (especially considering their plans).

pokeaussie37

Long. I'm seriously hoping that we have ourselves an epic saga. No filler saga and a four year series. In the short term, I'm hoping that the long gap between the first and second gyms in the games is reflected in the anime and we have a 35 episode gap. During which, I'd like to see Ash's team established (five team members including Pikachu, I don't think he'll have any reserves this time out) along with our side characters, plus plenty of character development in said time.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Long. I'm seriously hoping that we have ourselves an epic saga. No filler saga and a four year series. In the short term, I'm hoping that the long gap between the first and second gyms in the games is reflected in the anime and we have a 35 episode gap. During which, I'd like to see Ash's team established (five team members including Pikachu, I don't think he'll have any reserves this time out) along with our side characters, plus plenty of character development in said time.

35 episodes between the first two gyms almost in a way is a fuller saga in a way, except if he is getting a few captures in there. I would go more around 25-30.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!

35 episodes almost transit to a 1/2~3/4 year gap. That definitely isn't the best way to start out. It's bad to start with such a huge gap, otherwise fans might/will lose interest. At least keep the first year engaging, and ditch all the fillers later.

i say the badge quest and league should take about 3 years 4 months and have a OI league or battle frontier take the rest of the time end the series in a good way instead of ash losing the last tournament ending the series

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Whatever helps develop Ash's team the best... that's my philosophy. I'd rather bond with the Pokemon watching it then feel like the Pokemon is a drone because it hardly appears outside of battle/never changes/No interactions/No hint of personality/etc...

I got the feels from Ash's Sinnoh team, to the point where I literally knew just about all of them. Same could be said to the extent for the Hoenn region and sorta the Johto region. I really couldn't connect with much of the Unova team because development was almost non-existent because of the pacing. I don't count Kanto because well, personality wasn't much of a thing at that point

Last edited:

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
I thin k tjhat XY is too paced right now.

The reason that I post this is because I feel that episode 7 is the Serena episode in Vaniville Town.

The series appears to be a very fast paced, because:
XY1 and 2 happened in Lumiose.
XY3 and 4 goes fromLumiose to Shauntalane.
XY5 and 6 are in Shauntalane.
XY7 appears to be directly in Vaniville.
And before or in XY12 they're back in Lumiose.

For me, the step Shauntalane Vaniville appears to be very fast, specially given that Shauntalane Forest in between them.

For me, it appears to fast. I understand why having Viola early, but one episode to get a Vaniville and 4 to get to Lumiose again!?

Before last week I expected a gap of 25 episodes between Viola and Grant.

Last edited:

Eneci

FrogadierMasterLucas
So we got 3 breaks till end of January? a lot!!!!! I hope we get some double special hours to pay of the breaks but still at least 10 eps between the gyms solid enough.

I still hope the first season wraps 3 gyms, the 2nd gyms 4-6(7) and season 3 gym 8 and the League.

a bunch of interesting eps coming along. but still no real rival showing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.