• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

XYZ effect on fans and writers. How do you feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
XYZ Ash is the one true Ash. The current Ash is an usurper concocted by Tomiyasu who hated XY so much that he tried to destroy its amazing legacy. He turned Ash into a clown, humiliated Alain and Diantha, destroyed Ash’s face, and is trying his best to appeal to degenerate children. I can’t forgive him for destroying Serena, the holy and immaculate lady.
“Story decisions I don’t like” somehow equals “They are ruining the characters and anime I love because the current staff hates the fans and show!”

The Drawn Sword

“Story decisions I don’t like” somehow equals “They are ruining the characters and anime I love because the current staff hates the fans and show!”
What else do you call Pikachu hurting Ash? What else do you call Mitolic hitting Ash in his “pokeballs”

Tomiyasu hates Ash. He hates us. He hates XY fans. He disrespected us by destroying Alain and Diantha.

I think he retconned Serena’s crush on Ash. The crush isn’t mentioned when Serena returned. They did this because they know the fans will go ballistic.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
What else do you call Pikachu hurting Ash? What else do you call Mitolic hitting Ash in his “pokeballs”
I call it cheap comedy and not a sign of Tomiyasu hating Ash. It‘s not like Bendis who writes monologues on how he hates a character in the book he’s writing and then writes a different one on Twitter.

Tomiyasu hates Ash. He hates us. He hates XY fans. He disrespected us by destroying Alain and Diantha.
You are a sad, strange little man.

I think he retconned Serena’s crush on Ash. The crush isn’t mentioned when Serena returned. They did this because they know the fans will go ballistic
Hello, conspiracy theories, I see we have an old-new face in the room

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

DarkusHeracross

Serena being neglected for the first year, the Mega Lucario arc, Ash being overglorified by everyone in the anime and the fanbase in general, Team Rocket appearing in almost every episode and were very obnoxious, Bonnie, and the boring generic fillers ruined it for me. The first year of XY was terrible and it felt like an extension of BW season 2: DA!
Im glad i was not the only one that kinda disliked that part. It kinda got redudant after a while just watching Lucario go beserk was and Korrina screaming at it was kinda lame.

XYZ Ash is the one true Ash.
One, there is no ture Ash lol, every Ash. In terms of what Ash was supposued to be, the 10 year old Japanese Boy trying to be a Pokemon Master that has to be Indigo League Ash. Best Ash as a Pokemon Trainer and true Master? Yes, XYZ thats XYZ as no doubt.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Im glad i was not the only one that kinda disliked that part. It kinda got redudant after a while just watching Lucario go beserk was and Korrina screaming at it was kinda lame.
What made it even worse was the placement and amount of episodes in that arc when they had main characters that should have been their priorities in screen time and focus, particularly Serena because she had a long stretch of nothing significant happening with her during that time. I don't see the need giving 5 episodes to a character that wasn't apart of the main cast even if it was for Lucario shilling.

DatsRight

Truthfully I can't hate the first season of XY since it was at least still trying with character interactions and HOW the formula was set about. The dynamics and synergy were more colourful, they were still making fun of the old cliches a bit, Ash wasn't totally above it all, most of the Pokemon actually had fun personalities and chemistries, Clemont was more involved, Team Rocket were still a bit competent and mixed up their plans and roles more often, etc.

I think if the later half of the series had actually kept up that same amount of vibrancy to the whole dynamic instead of just drying it all up in favour of banking everything on the main arcs and their hype bait, I'd have a more favourable opinion of it.

Trillion

xy is my second favorite series after dp

overall best battles of any series. the FIRST gym battle: involving two unevolved, one mid-stage, and only ONE fully evolved pokemon- looks like it could be a masters 8 match

the only thing that disappointed me was greninja getting released to go work for Zygarde's Lawncare Service, LLC

i wasn't bothered by the alain battle. yeah ash lost.. but that was a top five battle of the entire series

people are reaching for the stars saying the writers have some sort of vendetta against xy just cuz alain and diantha lost to leon. it's laughable

people acting like ash was just some emotionless serious person in xy is also laughable. outside of battle he was still the same buffoon he's always been lol

As someone who loves XY, I hated that Ash-Greninja lost to MCX. They were building up that Ash-Greninja was a special Pokemon that was more powerful than any Ash Pokemon ever with a special transformation, and yet it’s feats were super underwhelming. There was so much buildup to Ash winning the Kalos League that all went down the drain. However what caused me to be turned off by Pokemon was the tone and art style shift from XY to SM.
I’ll write more later

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Okay people, let's try our best not to turn this into another XY vs SM fan war okay? Don't use this thread as a free for all buffet for bashing XY and the same goes with SM. I mean I hope that's what every user does except for those whose names rhyme with Bane and Brisket

Anyway, into the topic of this thread

XYZ, despite your opinion on it, certainly had a MAJOR effect on the fans and writers and had rippling effects. It certainly was controversial in the end, a huge majority HATED Ash losing in the Kalos League and many were displeased by Greninja being released. However it's also true that a majority loved Serena kissing Ash and the Team Flare arc, atleast during those moments, until after more criticism towards it came into the picture, specifically Serena's dialogues during the elevator scene

I do think the Kalos league backlash was a pretty significant thing that the writers took note of. Heck if I'm not wrong the preview for next episode got review bombed so hard they turned off likes and dislikes.
While Ash's alola league win happening was more due to the structure of the region itself and the game story, there is no denying that the Kalos league backlash also probably influenced the decision as well as the decision to respect Ash's strength as a trainer and allow him major milestones, which is why we follow up with JN's PWC rather than the Galar league

Now as to the fans perspective of it, XYZ deserves MAJOR CREDIT for having a hugely invested fanbase at the time it was airing, regardless of your opinions on it you cannot deny the hype was at an all time high during the days of XYZ, while I believe the major credit goes to the artstyle and stellar battle animation, you had old and casuals alike invested. With the marketing taking advantage of the hype and baiting them, it was no surprise the backlash would be huge when things didn't go their way. XY despite its ambitions never quite felt confident enough to take the journey to the position it needed to, even if it broke anime's molds and structures. To then be unsatisfied with how it ended AND seeing the SM's change in tone and style, toxicity ensued, seeping into when SM aired and it getting massive hatred simply for not being XY, something that sadly some people still do rather than look at it for what it is on its own

Now for the writers perspective on it, I believe XYZ and the whole process of it, the production and the reception, is what finally convinced them to break the mold, the old structure. I'd say it has more to do with how taxing it was to have a show with the level of XY's production, especially with the 3D camera. I also imagine the writers felt extremely tired of the old lethargic formula and repeating it again next series would be suicide because no one would care anymore, they needed to reinvent to make people believe again this anime will ever go forward with Ash again. One of the major reasons for the backlash against the Kalos league was the fear of Ash's stagnancy, especially when they assumed next series is a reset again and Ash is a rookie again

When it comes to JN, no the "crew hates XY" conspiracy theorists are dumbasses. But i do feel the writers of JN were very careful when it came to XY, for them it was no doubt a special series they had to carefully maneuver around, esp BECAUSE the style of Ash in SM and JN doesn't really match with the style of Ash in XY. And that is why I think amourshipping (which still had significant hints mind you) was kept to a minimum and not followed up on, as well as Ash-Greninja, because that is something for the XYZ characterisation of Ash specifically and it's design rather than JN's take. So they didn't want to piss on the old series or change their direction, so they decided to sidestep it. Why not atleast include AG in the XYZ flashbacks? Beats me, it was a dumb decision not to but I doubt arises from them wanting to retcon it happening. Same with Alain probably, they wanted to use him because he's a popular character the writers also like and thought would be a cool 8th member wildcard but was so massively underused because they wanted to sidestep around the whole Ash-Greninja stuff, which was a Crux of Ash and Alains relationship and not wanting to explore that means Alain doesn't really get significant time

All in all, I do believe XY's popularity and "fanbase" will always be at odds with the direction the show went as a result of XY. For better or worse. But I do believe after JN it doesn't really need to be a sore point unless they make Ash end up with a different girl or ever do something similar to JN again, of course for the fanbase, they'll never stop screaming for more that they wished XY delivered

BlobbiBoi

?

Did I miss something? You sure your friends watched the right anime?

Every time you hear of someone criticizing XY for being edgy, too dark, trying to hard to be shounen, too "mature" and what-not you just know they're someone who didn't watch XY at all and are just parroting the usual checkpoints they've heard from people who disliked XY.

XYZ was objectively more mature and serious than any season before it or that has come after it. That maturity is a big part of the appeal for a lot of people. I'm not criticizing the series for being "too dark" to "too edgy" lol, and I don't know why the immediate assumption is "you HATE XY!!!! You're just PARROTING bro!!!" when I've said before the animation is gorgeous and I enjoy it for what it is.

But absolutely no villian in the anime came close to the abject horror of that final arc with Lysandre - the BW Rocket vs Plasma arc could have, but we'll never know.

I'll go one step further; I think XY is the one series that actually had the highest chance to give Ash some legitimate post-arc problems and trauma. They obviously couldn't go that direction in a kids show, so didn't, and we got SM which gave more grounded themes and a more grounded scale while also going back to what the series had been more early on.

XYZ's problem is that it hyped up a level of power that flatly didn't exist and I think some fans fell right into the trap of believing it because its their favorite series.

Alain was never shown to be able to tangle with Champion tier opponents; he fights Steven and gets his cheeks clapped - is it so surprising he fails against Leon, a guy who's held his position with Cynthia-tier effiency for a decade? If he was struggling with Steven, Leon was always going to make him a chewtoy. Likewise, Diantha is still a Champion (she wiped Lance handily) but just wasn't at Leon's level. She's primarily a preformer and that's her main passion; she says as much.
I seriously can't believe this is supposed to be the take that some people got away from this lol. Leon making mincemeat out of Diantha makes it clear that he's a level above all of the other Masters 8 opponents.

Alain is perfectly capable of handling " Champion tier opponents, " he's just not capable of handling Leon, a character purposefully made to be unbeatable, a level above even the Masters 8.

It's not an abdication of XY nor is it a problem of XY supposedly " hyping a level of power that didn't exist. " Seriously have no idea how people come up with these things.

Last edited:
XYZ was objectively more mature and serious than any season before it or that has come after it. That maturity is a big part of the appeal for a lot of people. I'm not criticizing the series for being "too dark" to "too edgy" lol, and I don't know why the immediate assumption is "you HATE XY!!!! You're just PARROTING bro!!!" when I've said before the animation is gorgeous and I enjoy it for what it is.

But absolutely no villian in the anime came close to the abject horror of that final arc with Lysandre - the BW Rocket vs Plasma arc could have, but we'll never know.

I'll go one step further; I think XY is the one series that actually had the highest chance to give Ash some legitimate post-arc problems and trauma. They obviously couldn't go that direction in a kids show, so didn't, and we got SM which gave more grounded themes and a more grounded scale while also going back to what the series had been more early on.
Trauma from what? TF?
I personally do believe that Ash might suffer from PTSD with all that he’s witnessed. XYZ could have done something where after the Flare arc, Ash is like “why do I have to save the world again? Why I am the only one doing it? Why do all these terrible things keep happening when I’m around?” if that’s what you mean.

BlobbiBoi

I seriously can't believe this is supposed to be the take that some people got away from this lol. Leon making mincemeat out of Diantha makes it clear that he's a level above all of the other Masters 8 opponents.

Alain is perfectly capable of handling " Champion tier opponents, " he's just not capable of handling Leon, a character purposefully made to be unbeatable, a level above even the Masters 8.

It's not an abdication of XY nor is it a problem of XY supposedly " hyping a level of power that didn't exist. " Seriously have no idea how people come up with these things.

Firstly, I think we're both agreeing with one another here. I think they handled Leon just fine because it is the exact way they handled Cynthia in the anime too (Flint was the only one who scratched her lol) and everyone goes gaga over that characterization. There's no difference, only people like Cynthia more.

I like the fact Leon is capable of steamrolling Champions because for once it makes you look at Ash and wonder if he's even going to win. It sets actual stakes on a scale I haven't seen the anime pull before. These are some of the best trainers in the world and they can't blow past two of his team tops? That's how you set a character up as being powerful, idk why some people find that so controversional.

But reading some of the XY defence posts you'd swear there was a conspiracy theory just because Alain and Diantha got wiped, even when Diantha put Leon very briefly on the back foot at the end there.

As for my comments on Alain, I was more referencing the fact he's a clear outlier compared to the rest. So is Ash, but he's the main character.

Xuxuba

If we are to play the guessing game, i feel like they are tired of having their new work compared to XY/XYZ, hence why they might have some bitterness towards it. Tho a few characters are an exception, like Serena, who had a great comeback episode (but she still had to wait 6 years for a single short appearence without even getting a special either lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.