• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

YCS Chicago Tourny Report

~Sirnight~

Come along, dear
Sooo yeah. Long day, fun, and when I wasn't chillin' at the Duel Terminal with company, gambling my wallet away, I was negating stuff like a mofo. I've seen people talk about what they ate for breakfast and crap before hand and go into so much detail with these things but I won't.

Round 1: X-Sabers
1: I didn't know what he was playing, and this was my first lesson of the day that 1900 attack on Boggard Knight is tough to get over with my deck. However, I managed to get in control and push with Honest for victory.
2: Got swamred badly. Eventually I get Fool out, protected from his targeting. I don't think either of us could do anything, but he eventually summoned Flamvell Urquizas. Wow.
3:We go into time, and after four turns 'sudden death'. I have out Fool again, without the beneficial coin flip, so he gets out Brionac to bounce it away. Just what I was waiting for; I use Herald of Orange Light to clear his monster away...but he uses Divine Wrath.

0-1

Round 2: X-Sabers
1: I see Darksoul and am just wishing for a better matchup. I rush in with Herald, but lose resources and get smacked at with Brain Control.
2: I get control early on again, but this time keeping strong. Win.
3: This one nearly runs the clock. He has unlimited hand becaue I'm sitting behind Fool with nothing else while he just Faultroll > Darksoul > Tribute for Gottoms. He gets off Black Rose and after a turn, uses his third in-hand Faultroll from before. Really had that one coming.

0-2

Round 3: Frognarch (Fun fact - he had a feature match)
1: Don't know what he's playing, but I get out Herald first turn. Pretty much locks me in, and I draw with Tethys so that he can't do anything. Kristya wins late game when he has 1 card in hand and can't get Treeborn.
2: I side in Hanewatas cause I see him side decking immensely, which ends up saving me from a Dupe Frog lock when I sync into Brionac. He later gets out Nitro Warrior, misplays buy not attacking twice, but then wins with it when he uses the effect.
3: We go into time and then sudden death. I set a Skelengel alongside a Nova Summoner I was using to try and be offensive with. He sacks for Cauis eventually, removing my face-down and attacking into Nova and I Honest. Afterwards someone asks why he didn't just remove Cauis with the effect, and he facepalms.

1-2

Round 4: Blackwings
1: I figured this would be a good matchup for my deck. I get out Decree, beatdown with Tethys, and draw too many cards to not win.
2: I know he'll have like 3 Oppressions now so I'm worried, but it turns out that Armor Master is impossible to get by for me, and while I try to force him to use Wedge Counters for Orange to stop, it isn't work out well.
3: I open with Purple Light and feel better, since I can stop Oppression. Rest of my openings are good, and I Orange Light a Shura late game. Eventually, Herald + Consecrated Light wins.

2-2

Round 5: Quickdraw
1: Guy seemed kind of out of it. I kept poking with Manjus and Alchemist, though he doesn't have much to stop anything. I get Decree and eventually he scoops.
2: His backrow hurts me, and I lose.
3: I pull off Tethys drawing early on, which lets Herald stop everything. He tires to attack with Drill Warrior but Honest wins it.

3-2

Round 6: Glads
1: Hoey sitting next to me with his eccentricies, and the guy I'm playing is pretty cool too. Then I open with 2 Dawn of the Herald and I just stare blankly before realizing that that + this matchup means I should scoop. However, I set 2 of them later for a bluff, and when I get the right cards in hand, I activate one. He Solemns. I flip the other. Two turns later I won.
2: I get beat fast with Gyzarus plays. I can win with a bad hand but not a good one apparently. Oh also Rai-Oh kills.
3: This is so terrible. He starts looping Chariots with Equeste and Samnite, and I draw no Orange Heralds. He wins after a painfully long game.

3-3

Round 7: Blackwings
1: I expect what I did a couple rounds ago to happen, and it does. Epicly. By the second or third turn I have Consecrated Light, Herald, Tethys, and Decree out. He scoops.
2: He gets me with Armor Master, and I'm in trouble, but while I have Consecrated out to stall, he Icarus Attacks for some reason, which gives me the opening I need to get out Herald and win.

4-3

Round 8: No show
Kind of sucked. If I won some tiebreakers could've put my up higher for Day 2. :v

5-3

So I place 160 (ew) and hang out a while longer. I sell some stuff to vendors, even though they were trying to make way too much of a profit. $2 for an ultra BW Dragon no thanks. Unfortunately they were the only one left at that hour, so I kind of messed up there.

Pros:
Epic Blackwing matchup
Getting a Kristya
Finding the Trigon round 3 that served as a good luck charm, and realizing it's a Debris target
Getting Fabled and other DT stuff
Hanewata paying off even though I didn't play against burn
No Infernities or FrogFTK
Aki cosplayer and getting a picture with her

Cons:
Not so epic Saber matchup
Barely using the Krsitya
Rai-Oh
Blowing too much money at DT's (it's an addiction i tell you)
Couldn't go to Day 2 for trades
Not getting Naturia Beast

Monsters: 31
3 Herald of Perfection
3 Herald of Orange Light
2 Herald of Green Light
1 Herald of Purple Light
3 Soul of Purity and Light
3 Nova Summoner
3 Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands
2 Senju of the Thousand Hands
2 Honest