• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yellow or Serena?

Who do you prefer?

• Yellow

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Serena

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters

Xuxuba

I know that but I was talking about specifically just this thread.
Which is funny because she is also being discussed here. You would assume people who aren't interested about a character to avoid discussing said character in almost every single thread, like some people here do.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I literally don’t care. I’m not even a Serena or XYZ fanboy. I picked Serena out of familiarity not because she’s a favorite. Don’t project your feelings on me thx
I see. Apologies for my assumption.

Which is funny because she is also being discussed here. You would assume people who aren't interested about a character to avoid discussing said character in almost every single thread, like some people here do.
Ah but see that's my point. They are talking about Serena but in such a light simple way that it seems to lack interest. How else would you describe this? She's being talked about, not in a negative way like some other threads but how I perceive it, it seems to best describe this as a lack of interest in Serena's character compared to another.

Anyways back to the subject, you yourself seem like a Serena fan, so what are your thoughts on the character?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I literally don’t care. I’m not even a Serena or XYZ fanboy. I picked Serena out of familiarity not because she’s a favorite. Don’t project your feelings on me thx
Yeah, I'm not looking down at Yellow when I picked Serena. I'm just not motivated to read the manga for now to be more familiar with Yellow's character.

Xuxuba

Anyways back to the subject, you yourself seem like a Serena fan, so what are your thoughts on the character?
I am both a Serena fan and a Yellow fan, but i think it's silly to compare a manga character to a anime character since the anime and the manga differ so much on what they are allowed to do and who are their target audience.

Ah but see that's my point. They are talking about Serena but in such a light simple way that it seems to lack interest. How else would you describe this? She's being talked about, not in a negative way like some other threads but how I perceive it, it seems to best describe this as a lack of interest in Serena's character compared to another.
This thread doesn't have that many comments or votes to begin with and not all of them showed disinterest on her character, so i think it's a bit much to act like everybody here is acting overwhelmingly uninterested towards Serena.

Last edited:

shoz999

I am both a Serena fan and a Yellow fan, but i think it's silly to compare a manga character to a anime character since the anime and the manga differ so much on what they are allowed to do and who are their target audience.

This thread doesn't have that many comments or votes to begin with and not all of them showed disinterest on her character, so i think it's a bit much to act like everybody here is acting overwhelmingly uninterested towards Serena.
1. Ah but it is comparing those similar characters and finding the differences what makes these discussions interesting yes? You also learn new stuff about characters you never thought about before. For example, comparing Ash to Red you realize that Red is an egotistical prideful trainer who has no interest in getting Prof. Oak's help or in a Pokemon journey at first, whereas if you compared that to Ash, you realize something about Ash that would not occur to a lot of people in that Ash does realize he's a noob, that he does need help and he does not shy away from such help and that he's planned this out despite being late. But this is just an example to why this is interesting. No need to expand this into a discussion here.
2. True. I suppose it is early to make assumptions that everyone here is bashing or has a disinterest in Serena.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I like both characters and yellow along with manga red are my favourite manga characters, but i dont think anime and manga characters should be compared at all, manga has much written and fleshed out story as compared to anime which had to tone down because of target audience and game marketing, so its not a surprise that yellow's had a much bigger story than serena, i think serena's past with ash was inspired by yellow and red to some extent.

Well said , its no reason to compare since they both have different target audience.

shoz999

I like both characters and yellow along with manga red are my favourite manga characters, but i dont think anime and manga characters should be compared at all, manga has much written and fleshed out story as compared to anime which had to tone down because of target audience and game marketing, so its not a surprise that yellow's had a much bigger story than serena, i think serena's past with ash was inspired by yellow and red to some extent.

Well said , its no reason to compare since they both have different target audience.
... I honestly don't get it. This is the same reason why you also should compare the two, that's the reason for comparing anything really. It's like saying you can't compare the anime to the games because the games has a bit more of a mature tone and has more fleshed-out writing in the lore and sometimes even the story department. This especially applies to the BW adaptation and the BW games. This does not make any sense to me for this is what comparisons of similar but different mediums are all about. The more you compare and contrast the three big Pokemon mediums, the more you understand what the Pokemon world is all about, so I really don't get this.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
... I honestly don't get it. This is the same reason why you also should compare the two, that's the reason for comparing anything really. It's like saying you can't compare the anime to the games because the games has a bit more of a mature tone and has more fleshed-out writing in the lore and sometimes even the story department. This especially applies to the BW adaptation and the BW games. This does not make any sense to me for this is what comparisons of similar but different mediums are all about. The more you compare and contrast the three big Pokemon mediums, the more you understand what the Pokemon world is all about, so I really don't get this.

Manga has a more mature tone and less time constraints so they have more time to flesh out characters, i think yellow was more of a flesh out character than serena wa and she even became a good battler later on in the series.

shoz999

Manga has a more mature tone and less time constraints so they have more time to flesh out characters, i think yellow was more of a flesh out character than serena wa and she even became a good battler later on in the series.
But see that's precisely one of the reasons why you want to compare the two, how does a mature in-depth take on Pokemon compare to that of a light-hearted lightly take one, a heavily connected story compare to that of an endless story... or forget it. This is getting off-topic.

I will say this. Although I do still think Yellow is leagues better the character here, I enjoyed Serena's Pokemon Showcases as it was an animation spectacle despite some saying it was boring. I felt that alone cemented herself as an interesting character and not her being a long time childhood friend of Ash.

Last edited:

Peter Harrison

IMO, Yellow, she was much better.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
But see that's precisely one of the reasons why you want to compare the two, how does a mature in-depth take on Pokemon compare to that of a light-hearted lightly take one, a heavily connected story compare to that of an endless story... or forget it. This is getting off-topic.

I will say this. Although I do still think Yellow is leagues better the character here, I enjoyed Serena's Pokemon Showcases as it was an animation spectacle despite some saying it was boring. I felt that alone cemented herself as an interesting character and not her being a long time childhood friend of Ash.
I see where you're going with the comparisons. For me who I didn't care about Ash & Pikachu, I wished the anime could be more closer to the manga format a long time ago.

shoz999

I see where you're going with the comparisons. For me who I didn't care about Ash & Pikachu, I wished the anime could be more closer to the manga format a long time ago.
From what your saying it sounds like you want a Pokemon Adventures anime however, perhaps what your actually saying that you want the anime to be more closer to the games like what Pokemon Adventures did? I don't know about that. Almost everyone in the anime fanbase honestly seems like they are annoyed at the Pokemon anime's entire existence. No joke, that's what the anime fanbase here seems like. However as much as I like Pokemon Adventures take on the Pokemon series, that is still to an extant one side of the series. What I like about the anime is that it makes the Pokemon world feels like this unimaginable endless world that's beyond routes and blocked off sea ways. Grant it, it could be better, much better but I still like what the anime is able to present to the table. In fact it's probably the only Pokemon medium here that really captures it.

On the original topic, I don't know about you guys but this would make a fun idea for a Splatfest in the Splatoon 2 game. Are you team Psychic girl or are you team Contest girl? Hahaha..... hmm... I kind of want to see that now.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I find Serena one of the most poorly written female characters (still enjoyed some things about her like her personality and her team) but agreed. There’s no point in talking about a character you don’t care for...constantly.

Funny because for a pokegirl she got third most focus after dawn and may and was better developed than all other pokegirls.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Imma pick Yellow. I like her arc, her design, her overall character and how it matures over time, and her relationship with other characters. That and it's cool to see a character grow up.

shoz999

Imma pick Yellow. I like her arc, her design, her overall character and how it matures over time, and her relationship with other characters. That and it's cool to see a character grow up.
Another cool thing I like about Yellow is that she's one of the three humans that Mewtwo fully trusts. I think she really captures the idea of people who only just want to befriend Pokemon, not battle them.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Another cool thing I like about Yellow is that she's one of the three humans that Mewtwo fully trusts. I think she really captures the idea of people who only just want to befriend Pokemon, not battle them.
Serena did befriend Eevee before its capture, and we haven't seen Mewtwo interacting with Serena in the anime, unless you're talking about the game where both game and anime Serena are not related to each other and Mewtwo was just waiting to be captured.

shoz999

Serena did befriend Eevee before its capture, and we haven't seen Mewtwo interacting with Serena in the anime, unless you're talking about the game where both game and anime Serena are not related to each other and Mewtwo was just waiting to be captured.
I'm talking about Pokemon Adventures Mewtwo, different Mewtwo. However I really loved the episode where Serena put the time and effort to befriend that dancing Eevee, one of Serena's best episodes, if not her best episode.