• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yellow Version vs. Red and Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinomagic4life

Ace Trainer
Just got yellow again today. Feels good, man.

I ask you, which do you prefer? Yellow, or its predecessors, red and blue?

surfer treecko

Highly Explosive
At first I though I prefered Yellow, but after playing it through again I'm not so sure.

Yellow has much weaker trainers then R/B, especially in the case of your Rival. Also, I think the new sprites clash with the style of everything else, even if they are more detailed and colourful then the old sprites.

However, Yellow does let you get all the starters, and has more things avaliable...

ToeyJoey

The Count
I like Red and Blue the best, partly because I got Red as my first GBC game and I found it more entertaining to trawl Viridian Forest for a Pikachu.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I like red and blue. I'm not a big fan of starting with pikachu.

Canto

I had all of them but played Blue the most. It was kinda hard to beat Brock in Yellow and I just didn't play Red for some reason. Though I prefer the Yellow Pidgeot sprite to the RB one. *shudders*

ToeyJoey

The Count
People often say it's hard to beat Brock on Yellow but take out his Geodude with any neutral attack or five of your team and then Butterfree's confusion 3KOs his Onix and it'll probably get confused or not even land a hit by using Bide.

ForteAnly

I will always prefer Red version. I bought Yellow and I did enjoy it but it was nothing like Red version for me.

Sprintking

I love my Red version to death, but Yellow was my first version and still my clear favorite. I loved getting Pikachu as a starter, as well as the revamped gym leaders and all the small changes from RB.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I like red and blue better. Mainly because you get good pokemon to start. I know you can get all 3 starters in yellow, but I still don't like starting with pikachu.

Ammako

You know what?
I traded away Red and Gold to my friend for Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

But!
I did buy a Japanese version of Yellow over Play-Asia.
I plan on getting a Japanese version of Blue to go with it.

Last edited:

sweeney123

Eevee Trainer
tough choice but i like yellow.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Not particular about either one, to be perfectly honest. One thing I liked about Yellow was the Pikachu Surfing mini-game.

Dspeight

I like yellow better because the gym leaders are at a better level and i dont mind starting with pikachu its quite powerfus and fast.

Dark Arceus

Worst. Name. Ever.
I'd say Yellow, due to the imorvements in gym leaders, the ability to easily obtain all 3 starters without trading and the improved graphics. Also, the idea of Pikachu following you around and being able to communicate with it was a neat gimmick. Might not have suited everybody, but it showed the game creators were willing to try something new. Shame they shelved the idea til HG/SS though :/

Volcanic Murk

Stupid Genius
In Yellow, you can get all 3 starters and the graphics are improved. However, you are pretty much forced to use Pikachu, because if you don't you won't have it following you. In Red and Blue, you can pick any pokemon you want without consequences, but the sprites are horrible. *cough* Golbat. *cough*
I'd say Red and Blue, but it's really close.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Tough choice. Yellow felt too....desperate? Like the creators really just wanted to tie in the anime's random events into the Pokemon games so kids would see the connection between the two. I like Red and Blue since they're the original games (outside of Japan, anyway) and they both have this feel of independence. I mean to say, when they came out, the anime hadn't started yet and the games were the only way to really understand the allure of Pokemon and since they were the only way anyone could appreciate Pokemon, they stand alone, at the top of the Pokemon World. At least for me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.