• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yes, in Dee Dee It's Dawn (629)

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I think this is the last contest for Dawn. They don't normally show people watching it when it's not important.

Also, did Jessie make it past the appeals?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Also, did Jessie make it past the appeals?

She did but judging from the previews as An00bis said, she looked quite "distressed".

Jessie doesn't work well under pressure (the same could be said about most people in this anime) so I don't think she'll progress any further.

Nice appeal round though, she's getting better with age :)

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Zoey and Candice have been spending an awful lot of time together. I think the writers are strongly implying the first lesbian couple in Pokemon.

No I think you are wrong. Zoey just loves to be with her friend Candice. it's her right to see the contest on television with her, I don't see a problem with this.

Cobalt_Latios

Also, Piplup being withdrawn...scenes like this come round only once in a character's lifetime.

So we arrive in Asatsuki Town and Ursula and her Minun and Plusle appear. We get a flashback to Dawn's preschool days too. I loved to see her female friend and Kenny, they were all so cute.
Must not think Akatsuki, must not think Akatsuki...

Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's having a hard time not calling it that. Still...

I didn't think Plusle and Minun, two cute Pokemon would have caused Dawn so much anxiety. Now I know why Dawn is so careful with her hair; she hates static.
And yet, she has Pachirisu.... heh?

I think even the writers realize what a monster they created in Piplup at this point. It seemed kind of deliberate that they actually showed every motion of recalling Piplup and putting the seal on Piplup's ball. It was kind of like saying " Enjoy this. You will not be seeing this again until the Grand Festival. "
It all started with Gible abuse... about time.

The Appeal mostly focused on Buneary too which was welcome. It feels like Buneary hasn't been in a Contest in a long time ...
Or Pachirisu for that matter. Or, I could have easily skipped over a good 20 episodes...

I think this is the last contest for Dawn. They don't normally show people watching it when it's not important.
Well, this outta be something. But I really do see Dawn winning this. I find it interesting how she's battling Ursula as opposed to Zoey. But... I think it's be cause they're saving that for the Grand Festival. Ursula is sort of the female version of Harley, to some extent. Especially considering May's last contest before the GF was against him.

No I think you are wrong. Zoey just loves to be with her friend Candice. it's her right to see the contest on television with her, I don't see a problem with this.
Yeah, have you seen the way Candice acts around Zoey? Try again...

C_L

uber gon

Accept Change
Zoey and Candice have been spending an awful lot of time together. I think the writers are strongly implying the first lesbian couple in Pokemon.

That or maybe Candice has an awesome TV.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This was a nice episode. Like with all contests, the rivals appeals are always better than the protagonists.

Funny how that works?

Lorde

This was a nice episode. Like with all contests, the rivals appeals are always better than the protagonists.

Funny how that works?

I suppose the rival's appeals are better than the protagonist's appeals to put more pressure on the protagonist.

That way, it gives the protagonist a hurdle to overcome. Something like that.

Maybe appeals are easier to coordinate.

dman_dustin

And then we have Dawn's appeal. To say it as it is, it was terrible. Freaking Ice Beam bubbles. How can they like that? I expected an Ice-Flame Combo from Mamoswine and Cyndaquil, and we got this? How did she advance to the battle round?

You forget Dawn has the power of the writers on her side XD. Although I agree her appeal wasn't that impressive.

While it seems like I'm the only one who enjoyed it, the writers agree with you because she was last on the people who passed the appeal rounds. Unlike say Ash who was second in the Wallace Cup.

And compared to what the appeals showed during the quick appeal montage, I'm surprised Dawn isn't higher. Dawn's was much better than the appeals shown in the quick montage.

I sort of find it sexist that certain guys don't understand the relationship a girl can have with another girl, and immediately assume that they are lesbian lovers without thinking about what they're saying. Female friends can do a lot more stuff than male friends. For one girls can just call their female friends "Girlfriends" without any implication whatsoever that they are in a romantic relationship. While when a Man says he's hanging out with his boyfriends you would immediately think of a romantic relationship. Female friends can hold hands without anyone batting an eye (especially when they are only 12 years old at most for goodness sakes). Females can just have a more deeper relationship and not have it mean anything.

Dogasu who actually lives in Japan (the place Pokemon was created) sees Zoey and Candice's relationship all the time in girls, and said its normal, and doesn't mean they are romantically involved with each other.

Is it possible that Zoey and Candice are in love with each other? As always but to say that it's heavily implied when "normal" girls do this sort of stuff all the time, especially in Japan, sort of makes me think you only have a one track mind, and incapable of just seeing this as a normal friendship.

theforgottensoldier

divide and conquer!
Must not think Akatsuki, must not think Akatsuki...

Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's having a hard time not calling it that. Still...

Don't worry your not the only one, i keep wanting to say that too.

I thought this was a great contest episode. Of course they did have extra time to show everyone's appeals since it is a two parter. They do that from now on in my opinion instead of cramming some contests into one episode. I had been seeing all these comments on how great jessie's appeal was and now that i saw it i would say i'm impressed too. Can't wait till next week episode i kinda hope that dawn beats ursula but loses to jessie so jessie can win the ribbon.

Did anyone notice that professor oak didn't get pulverized in his lecture this time. When was the last time that didn't happen?

dman_dustin

Did anyone notice that professor oak didn't get pulverized in his lecture this time. When was the last time that didn't happen?

I really liked it because Oak was like "I'm getting to old for this" when nothing happened. I like how apparently when he expects it nothing happens, but when he doesn't expect it something happens. Professor Oak just can't win.
------------------------------

As for the whole "Dee Dee" "Pikari" thing.

The only way the dubbers can do it, is if they have Dawn say "Dee-Dee" after being shocked by Plusle and Minun, and so when Kenny/Leona calls her "Dee Dee" it just reminds her of that horrible time.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I really enjoyed Jessie's performance. You can see how much she is progressing. It does seem like she practices off-screen. Also by the way when it was her turn all th audience members started cheering for her. It seems her reputation has grown. (James and Meowth helped too).

Jessie's becoming a favorite of mine.

and now: Dawn.

I wonderhow they will hndle Dee Dee in the english dub. This episode also explains why she disliked Pachirisu when she first caught it.

Corzola

Gible´s biggest fan!
Overall a good episode to watch. First off the Pikari/Dee-Dee thing, interesting to get that one explained. Some say that it was a small thing to get all upset about but remember she was a little girl back then, so the memory of it are probably more disturbing for Dawn than the actual damage done by being shocked. I always like scenes like that, when you go back and see how the characters were before we met them.

For the Contest part, well it was all well but not more. Dawn made a good but not outstanding performence and Jesses was both funny and a bit cool but the best thing was of course the Arbok flute. Had to watch those seconds twice to really be sure it was an Arbok flute she used.

7+/10 p.

Lorde

The only way the dubbers can do it, is if they have Dawn say "Dee-Dee" after being shocked by Plusle and Minun, and so when Kenny/Leona calls her "Dee Dee" it just reminds her of that horrible time.

Something like this. But hey, the dub has worked miracles before. I'm sure they'll find a way to make it fit.

About Asatsuki Town, it's easy to remember that it's an "s" and not a "k". I use a trick to remember the difference. S is for stylish which is how most Pokemon in Contests look, K is for killers, which is what the Akatsuki generally are :p

Last edited:

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-Our heroes are in a generic...city of woe! Must be contest time.
-Ursula already!
-Dawn sees Plusle and Minun and is not pleased. I don't blame her, really, nobody likes Pikachu knockoffs.
-Ash and Brock are rightly confused as to why Dawn started spazzing out.
-Ursula is so dismissive of Dawn it's glorious.
-Dawn should seek mental help for that phobia of hers.
-Dex time! Not that we don't already know that Ursula has Plusle, the Red-Version-of-Minun Pokemon and Minun, the Blue-Version-of-Plusle Pokemon.
-Ursula's an asshole! I love it!
-Seriously Dawn, get psychiatric help!
-Oh Ash, you're so dense. "YOU HATE PLUSLE AND MINUN BECAUSE YOU COULDN'T CATCH THEM DUUUUUR"
-Dawn went to an awesome elementary school with Torchic and Surskit playground equipment.
-Look at that poor, poor kid with the bowlcut in the second row.
-Most elementary school classrooms have a gerbil or something, if they even have pets. This one had electric mice. Perfectly safe!
-That Plusle has the tiniest glass of water in the world!
-AHAHAHAHAHA LITTLE KENGO'S VOICE
-So Dawn's afraid of Plusle/Minun because...she was a dumb kid who didn't let the animals go when they clearly wanted to be let go, and the animals fought back(shocked her) to get away?
-Oh, and little kids are jerks who will pick on anyone who is remotely different. Can't forget about that.
-Ursula overheard the whole story and has a plan. A devious plan. Also known as an awesome plan.
-I wonder what the twerps would say if they noticed James IN HIS TEAM ROCKET UNIFORM and Meowth in the stands?
-Zoey's in Snowpoint for some reason. And on a couch watching TV with Candice. Cue lots of "omg lesbians" comments.
-Ursula is my favorite rival for Pikari Hikari, no doubt about it.
-Jessie's appeal is first! But wait, only Carnivine is out?
-Arbok flute!
-That...was surprisingly creative!
-After seeing this appeal, I have to say...Jessie's really gotten good at contests! Remember when she was basically a joke rival?
-Time to show half-second shots of other appeals so the writers can pretend that other people matter in this contest~
-BUNEARY EXISTS.
-Dawn successfully combine my two absolute most FAVORITE appeal types(ice appeals and water appeals) into one appeal. And by that I mean "way to work the two most overused appeal types into one appeal, writers." What the hell happened to all the practice Cyndaquil and Mamoswine were doing for an appeal, anyway?
-Is it obligatory for all appeals to end with sparkles nowadays?
-Ursula's turn! She sends out Gabite and...Jigglypuff! *cue rash of WILL THE JIGGLYPUFF FROM KANTO EVER COME BACK I REALLY MISS ITS GAG OF DRAWING ALL OVER PEOPLE'S FACES topics*
-Gabite bounces Jigglypuff around a bit. Yawn.
-OH LOOK ANOTHER APPEAL THAT ENDS IN SPARKLES.
-Wait, it's not done yet!
-Now Jigglypuff Gyro Balled into some sand to make...sparkles. I suspect that sparkles are to contests as random explosions are to battles.
-I honestly think Ursula's appeal was pretty boring.
-Oh hey the writers remembered that Buneary has a crush on Pikachu.
-Dawn, Ursula, and Jessie made it into the battle round? I never would have guessed!

Cobalt_Latios

1) Yay!! We finally figure out why Kenny and Leona call her that. And I thought it was just an inside joke with Dawn, Kenny and Leona. Alright writers!
2) Wow, this explains quite a bit. Considering she's been the most hair conscious of any of the female cast members...

I really enjoyed Jessie's performance. You can see how much she is progressing. It does seem like she practices off-screen. Also by the way when it was her turn all th audience members started cheering for her. It seems her reputation has grown. (James and Meowth helped too).

Jessie's becoming a favorite of mine.
Didn't watch the episode yet, but from what I can garner, Jessie has really gotten the hang of it. Considering she's actually winning ribbons can't hurt either.

I wonderhow they will hndle Dee Dee in the english dub. This episode also explains why she disliked Pachirisu when she first caught it.
Whoa, didn't see that coming. So, it had nothing to do with her being unable to handle it, it was simple that she didn't want to be reminded of such an event. Not bad.

I just wonder how Dee-Dee will be explained.

She's also 10 so it's understandable why it's so silly.
First female lead character to have a hair issue like never before. Fifth episode should have clued most people on this.

About Asatsuki Town, it's easy to remember that it's an "s" and not a "k". I use a trick to remember the difference. S is for stylish which is how most Pokemon in Contests look, K is for killers, which is what the Akatsuki general are :p
Actually, it's not hard for me. It's just the names are so ridiculously similar that I had to make a comment about it. It's just how I am. And considering that Akatsuki is a word that's become quite... "popular" around the interwebz and it makes sense why it's quite a punny name.

Also, I wasn't aware about the letter change could so significantly change the entire meaning of it. Very neat. Thanks.

C_L

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
I've been slacking on my episode viewing. Haven't watched one since DP157. I'll break that trend gladly with a contest episode, however. Prepare to read my parody of Juputoru's bullet-point summary, only without the wit part.

- The gang is in a new city. However, it's not Sunyshore, meaning that RickHoenn and company aren't going to watch the episode anyways.
- Speaking of which, I will laugh if Sunyshore is as generic looking as every other anime town. Which it probably will be. (*looks at Fortree*)
- Ursula is here. "Under the sea! Under the sea!"
- Brandon and Paul may not be related, but I'm totally convinced that Kenny and Leona are.
- WaitWaitWait...Leona in a non-filler? That means...THAT AWFUL SWINUB FILLER IS NOW CANON. Fudgecicles.
- The inevitable dub re-writes of the "Pikari" story will no doubt display an unfortunate joke lost in translation.
- SUZUNA CAMEO SUZUNA CAMEO SUZUNA CAMEO
- Attn: Lazy casting ****faces - Stop being greedy and pay Candice's VA to give a line or two.
- I guess with 5 ribbons, Zoey has time to kill until the Grand Festival. Sexy time, of course.
- Jessie's snake charmer may actually be the best appeal ever.
- No, I don't know why everybody in the series knows Oracion. Stop asking.
- No, I don't know why ice balls are floating, either. Knock it off with the imaginary questions.
- It's an ice appeal. You think it failed?
- JIGG-AH-LEE-POFF! The most feared creature in the universe.
- I'm serious, folks. With a single wink, Jigglypuff can kill those who refuse to swear allegiance to its ways of pinkness.
- As little sense as Ursula's appeal made, it still made more sense than Dawn's.

Standard contest set-up, which should hopefully enable the battle rounds to be lengthy enough instead of having to cram the whole contest into one (like Ursula's first episode).