• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yes, in Dee Dee It's Dawn (629)

HoennMaster

Floating ice...lol.

Ursula's appeal was good, but I wouldn't say its as good as everyone is making it seem.

I'm so glad they didn't pull the last contest before the Grand Festival crap again, although Ursula basically confirmed that a while ago....but still.

Geodude

Somebody may have mentioned it, but there was more to Hikari's appeal than simply freezing and destroying those bubbles. The intended hook was the melody that was created when the rabbit jumped from bubble to bubble. It wasn't quite as plain as you might think.
Yeah, I didn't catch onto that the first time I saw the episode, but I realized it the second time. You're right.

Great episode, however, THAT was why she was called Pikari. Because her hair sparkled - seriously? Dawn needs to get over herself...
There's more to it than that. When she, Kenny, and Leona were in kindergarden, they had the job of caring for the Plusle and Minun that were there. Not realizing they didn't like it, Dawn was chasing them around, then picked them up and hugged them. So they shocked her, making her hair stand on end and sparkle. Kenny and Leona commented on this, using the Japanese onomatopoeia for sparkling, "pika pika". From this, Kenny came up with the Pikari name. Kenny later called her that in front of the whole class, while her hair was still stuck up and sparkling, and so she was embarrassed in front of them all. So that explains her fear of Plusle and Minun, and the nickname she almost drowned Leona over. :p

Before this episode, I thought for sure the nickname's origin would have something to do with a Pikachu, as I'm sure most others did, but I was completely wrong.

Last edited:

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Yeah, I didn't catch onto that the first time I saw the episode, but I realized it the second time. You're right.

There's more to it than that. When she, Kenny, and Leona were in kindergarden, they had the job of caring for the Plusle and Minun that were there. Not realizing they didn't like it, Dawn was chasing them around, then picked them up and hugged them. So they shocked her, making her hair stand on end and sparkle. Kenny and Leona commented on this, using the Japanese onomatopoeia for sparkling, "pika pika". From this, Kenny came up with the Pikari name. Kenny later called her that in front of the whole class, while her hair was still stuck up and sparkling, and so she was embarrassed in front of them all. So that explains her fear of Plusle and Minun, and the nickname she almost drowned Leona over. :p

Before this episode, I thought for sure the nickname's origin would have something to do with a Pikachu, as I'm sure most others did, but I was completely wrong.

I think tht's just dumb for her to basically faint from an old childhood memory of something so obnoxious as sparkly hair.

HoennMaster

I can't wait to see the Dub version. "My name's D----Dee Dee". Dumb, but what else could it turn out to be.

eryyy

Ace Trainer
Very good episode! ^^
I was wondering the truth behind Hikari's nickname Pikari. I'm so happy that we finally found out why Kengo and Yumomi call her that.
Urara's appeal was very beautiful. I seriously liked hers the best. Both Hikari and Musashi gave nice appeals as well but Urara's was the best.
This episode gets a 9/10 rating from me.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I liked Jessie and Ursala's appeals, but Dawn's was kind of boring. I also thought the origin of Dawn's nickname would have been deeper than what it was because she takes it so seriously. But overall, this was a great episode.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Well this was such an enjoyable episode!

We meet Ursula again after a little bit before a whole year went by, and with her new Plusle and Minun. Gee, wonder why Dawn is afraid of them.

But I was curious to find out why, in the dub, looks like Kenny and Leona gave the nickname "Dee Dee" once Plusle and Minun made her hair sparkle, as to calling it "Diamond Dandruff Dee Dee". Sad to see all her classmates were making fun of her with the name. And seeing Ash, Brock, Pikachu and Piplup laugh. xD

That Pokemon caretaker title made me think they were more like School pet owners.

Looks like since Ursula learns of Dawns' nickname, things will get interesting, and sparkly. xD

The appeals were all pretty good too. Jessie's was actually my favorite though. Seviper coming out of it's Poke Ball from Carnivine's mouth was extraordinary! And being in sync with Carnivine was amazing. I give great props to Jessie, she deserved to make it to Round 2.

Dawn's appeal was alright, just the usual bubble beam and sparkles again, but Buneary bouncing on them was cute.

Ursula's appeal was sweet. The combo between Gabite and Jigglypuff was spectacular. Its like Jigglypuff was a basketball, or at least just a ball, like my friend thought. xp But their moves were amazing though.

Seeing the 3 made it to Round 2, makes me looking forward to next weeks episode, for the 2nd part of the contest. (Which I'm excited for!) Im also interested to see Ursula use Plusle and Minun to make Dawn's hair sparkle again. xp Id just say that the dub version really did Dawn's nickname deal really well!

Last edited:

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Well, as some may know, I do not like the 4th Generation Saga. I watched the first seven or so episodes, and a few extras in between, and hated it.

I woke up early as usual and saw that a new episode of Pokemon was up.

BTW, before I get further into it, WTF is up with these timeslots? I'm pretty sure everyone wakes up at 8:00 or later on Saturdays, and now that its summer to, does anyone even get up to watch this?

Whatever.

So, I watched the episode. And I did not like it. Big surprise.

It's not that I did not like this episode itself. I just hate what the writers have done with the franchise. I still cringe at Ash's voice, and Brock's makes me want to choke myself. And, has James got a pinecone stuck up his nose or what?

You may just called me a old fan who just hates on the newer episodes for no reason. I do have a reason. It's because, IMO, they SUCK.

The dialogue is HORRIBLE, absolutely HORRIBLE.

(in today's episode in went something like this...)

Ash: Here, I got you some warm milk!
Dawn: That's very thoughtful of you, Ash!
Ash: Actually, it was Brock's idea.
Brock: I thought warm milk would help wake you up.

This dialogue, combined with the completely stale, plastered-on facial expressions makes the show look horribly animated. Sure, the special effects they've added to the moves make them look wonderful compared to what they used to look like, but at least our old characters could actually change expressions and exhibit them correctly.

I mean, throughout the entire episode, I literally could have just taken this face and put it on Ash's, and the expressions would have been relatively the same. Albeit, if they put that face on I would get some enjoyment out of the show, but with Ash somehow having no personality (I mean, does he always talk like such a nice guy with optimism gushing out of him?), I don't like the character anymore.

And WTF is with Brock? I have heard from people on this very site, fans of this current saga, saying that Brock really doesn't do anything...And I saw that for myself today.

I saw the episode one hour ago, and I can only remember Brock giving about five lines throughout the entire episode. And what did he accomplish in the episode? He gave Dawn some warm milk to calm her nerves down.

I'm not even gonna start complaining about Dawn, since I do not know the character all that well...But I can say that she's nothing compared to Misty, or, dare I say, May?

It seems that the character's have lost their touch from all those years ago. You might say I'm living in the past, but the past WAS better. If you were to re-watch every single episode of Pokemon, from the very first episode ever to this one, I believe you would be bored out of your mind. I mean, the first three (Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto) sagas were tolerable. I admit I did not watch most of the Johto series (I had CCD class every time a new episode came along). Everyone says it was just full of fillers, but, by my knowledge, the Sinnoh saga has more filler episodes than Johto did. We are on the FOURTH season in Sinnoh.

Don't you guys think that the series doesn't have the "edge" it used to have?

I am currently re-watching the first three sagas of Pokemon, and I'm around episode 50ish. The series had humor that actually made be literally laugh out loud (not just think it's funny inside my head). I'm 15 years old. I have a good sense of humor. These episodes are not funny. I wouldn't even go so far as to call them entertaining. Is calling someone "Dee-Dee" really that hilarious? Or is having a phobia of Plusle and Minun that scary? The humor in the old episodes was funny then, and it's still funny now. The series lost it's touch. It's more stupid, childish humor. I mean, I would even go as far as calling it "lame", but, then again, aren't we all "lame" for having fun, running around capturing and battling fictional creatures?

One GOOD thing this episode actually did was laugh at itself, as I actually snickered when Ash and Brock laughed at the stupidity of Dawn's story.

That about wraps up my rant. I know I drifted way off topic, but I just wanted to put my thoughts down somewhere.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. You just have to express it. If you have any problems at all or counter-arguments with what I said, please feel free to PM me so we can talk about it. Just don't "flame" me. Your only making yourself look like an idiot.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
munlaxboy u fail.. 4th gen pokemon is alot better then the first gen and why bother going to this thread if your are going to brag about the episode sinnoh > Kanto

I said to PM me for a reason, so this thread does not get filled up with useless posts.

Saying "u fail" isn't exactly a reasonable argument, as you provided no back up to your argument. I am good at and like to argue, but I do not flame. PM me if you really want to talk about this.

I said to PM me for a reason, so this thread does not get filled up with useless posts.

Saying "u fail" isn't exactly a reasonable argument, as you provided no back up to your argument. I am good at and like to argue, but I do not flame. PM me if you really want to talk about this.

i don't need to argue about anything your just a pokemon nostalgic fan who watches old eps of pokemon but hasn't realised the lack of animation and characters and the horrible dub done by 4 kids ent and the horrible story plot :)

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
It's always nice to see Ursula again plus it's nice to finally. Know how Dawn's nickname came to be.

Dattebayo

Banned
Alright, this is, hands down, one of the best episodes in the DP saga ever due to one thing and one thing only: Jigglypuff! She's so manly, even Ursula owns one and uses it with her Gabite. It makes me feel like playing as her in Brawl now. As for the origin of Dawn's nickname, well there goes my theory of her being a King Dedede fangirl.

raz1337

Miju Miju!

Well, there are actually couple points to make. First, your nostalgia has no base since you were 4 when the show started. I'm 23, and was just above the prime age for the show when Kanto aired. I started watching a few months before Ash's fight with Blaine. Kanto was disappointing due to the lack of badges actually earned. Now, looking back, I only care about the league, which Ash still acted like a child in. A good season? Negative.

Next, using the "I like to argue" point only shows cockiness, not confidence. This episode focused on Dawn's contest, so I'm not surprised if Ash takes an extreme backseat. Pikachu just sat there, but it was fine, because the reason to watch the episode was that blue haired girl.

There are several reasons why Sinnoh seems stale, but the main one that sticks out to me is how Ash makes so many newbie-ish mistakes considering the plethora of experience he has. This can be attributed to semi-restarting the show with each series to appeal to new audiences considering it's a show aimed at 7-9 year olds.

Ignoring nostalgia, I'd prefer Sinnoh over Johto. Sinnoh has FAR less filler than Johto. Johto was filler-galore. Look at Sinnoh, multiple gym rematches, many captures and releases, elite 4 appearances, palmer appearance, dawn's contests, galactic arc and FOUR rivals. Have you ignored that this is the first region to span 4 seasons? If you really want to debate filler, the only real argument is Snowpoint -> Sunyshore.

These posts are way off-topic. I just thought I'd point out reasons why you're wrong.

Now, the actual reason I came to post. The last 10 seconds of the show was classic. Props to the writers for making Plusle and Minun pop out at the last second. :D

Last edited:
OMG D/P U SUCK CAUSE IT'S SO NEW AND IT GIVES US BETTER SURPRISES BUT WE DONT LIKE SURPRISES I JUST LIKE OLD!! I AM SO DEPRESSED WHY POKEMON JUST END YOUR LIFE PLEASE!! ITS KIND OF LESS LAME BUT I LIKE LAME CAUSE I AM LAME!

anyways, I woke up because I heard POKEMON! this morning, and at the time I was trying to go back to sleep but I couldn't because I'm so INTO this show. YEHA. But I actually enjoyed the episode. I love Ursula. She's a wacky beast but she's so cute!!
DIAMOND DANDRUFF! hahahahaha. So wait, what was the thing with Pikari then? Just cause it sounded weird or was there a story for it?

Very cute. VERY CUTE!

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was good. I felt bad for little Dawn. Jesse having Seviper come out of Carnivine's mouth was quite impressive. Been a while since we last saw a Jigglypuff.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
This ep was okay. Pretty dumb reason why Kenny nicknamed Dawn "Dee Dee" after all this time. I thought they were building up to something a lil bigger or funnier than that.

@ Munchlaxboy. U and I seem to be the only 2 in almost complete agreement about the D/P saga. Which is why I don't have any high-hopes for the new gen because PUSA will still be doing it. I actually liked the dubbing by 4kids and wish they'd re-up for the new gen.

1 thing though. I also agree with raz1337. Sinnoh is more enjoyable than Johto was. Nothing but Filler and Emmy dull-worthy episodes. The Kanto and Hoenn series were the best