• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Yoshi's voice: yay or nay?

Like Yoshi's voice?

• Yay

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I was just thinking about Yoshi, and how much cooler it was back when the only sound it ever made was that nifty saddle-up effect. Now, since it got that voice in Yoshi's Story, I don't know anyone that likes what the once-great dinosaur had become. I myself friggin' hate it and scorn Yoshi's Story for having turned the guy into such an abomination. I of course assume I'm not alone in this poll, but I'm curious to see if someone actually likes the present-day Yoshi.

If you thought about this properly, you'd know Yoshi is one the favourite characters from the Mario series. I say this to people about Sonic voices- get over it!

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Well, to be fair, it's not like they could keep the "saddle-up" noise forever. I know it was used in Mario Kart 64 when all other characters were given voices in the 3-D era, but it was about due time that Yoshi be given some sort of non-jingle for a voice. Hey, I hated the singing in Yoshi's Story as much as anybody else, but I also thought the squeals and hums that Yoshi made were kinda cute. Since then, Nintendo has actually toned down Yoshi's squeakiness a bit, and I honestly, I've never really minded it.
If you thought about this properly, you'd know Yoshi is one the favourite characters from the Mario series. I say this to people about Sonic voices- get over it!
But Sonic characters have actual dialogue, and their VA's cannot act properly worth squat. Yoshi says "Yoshi!" and some other miscellaneous grunts, but that's it. If Yoshi were speaking full sentences, I might have a problem with it. But as it stands, it's cute.

Smile Guy

Keep Smiling...
It's never really bothered me, so I guess I'm indifferent. I've never been a huge fan of Yoshi but I appreciate his status as a Mario character as well. Let Nintendo do what they want with him. I tend to trust Nintendo (something nobody else seems to do).

The Mighty Wurmple

I used to love Yoshi when he first came it.
I haven't really noticed a change n his voice though.

Jibacoil-san

Too many ppl here
I think his voice is cute. Waffle! is a cute sound :p I also liked his old voice. Many people use it in flash when someone goes o.o;

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Yoshi has three different voices.

1: His voice in more recent Mario Party/Mario Sports games
2: His voice in Super Mario World/Super Mario World 2 and older Mario Party/Mario Sports games.
3: His Smash Bros. voice, which was also in others.

I like his Smash Bros. voice the best, followed by his older Mario spinoff voice. His recent voice.... bleh!

His smash bros voice sounds the cutest IMO.

(btw, have you noticed that Treecko's head is shaped a lot like Yoshi's?)

Last edited:

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I guess the "Yoshi" isn't so bad... in fact, I rather enjoyed how it said its name in the Super Mario Adventure comic, as well as Yoshie's Cookie. That "berorin! Ha!" when it swallows and... er, defecates... enemies is pretty nifty. But most the other stuff, namely the babyish tunes, really suck IMO.

Last edited:
Yoshi's Story is the single greatest game including Yoshi ever.
I love the little yoshis.
And their voices...