1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

You are a PKMN Trainer. How would you feel if N proved your Trainer-PKMN friendship may be false?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by shoz999, Oct 21, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

In Pokemon Adventures, N has held largely the same role as he has in the games but with one interesting addition you don't see in the games,. He explains to trainers who can't hear their Pokemon's voices, making interesting deductions explaining a possible truth about their Trainer-Pokemon friendship that may actually devastate them once he proves it. Unlike Team Plasma who wrongly tell trainers to make the choice of giving up their Pokemon, N gives the Pokemon themselves a chance to make their own choice of leaving their own trainer behind in pursuit of their own dreams or interests.

[​IMG]

Two great examples that absolutely devastates two trainers are the main characters, Black (Hilbert) and White (Hilda). Minor spoilers (This entire paragraph here are examples, it's skippable) but N backs White into the Ferris Wheel asking why she loves to see Pokemon in show biz a lot. White explains her dream with a happy smile that she once saw a random wild Pokemon walk up in the spotlight during a show performance, which amazed her as a child. N understands that Pokemon do love to be the center of attention but not all of them do as he points to White's Tepig as an example. Although N hates battling, he understands at this point that Pokemon do love to battle side by side with their trainers in order to get stronger. What disappoints N about White the most is that he feels like White has denied Tepig these other opportunities outside of show biz, not hearing her Tepig's voice. N smiles and asks Tepig if she was amazed that Black's own Tepig evolved through training and battle which the female Tepig nods. This makes White feel very uneasy. He explains that Tepig never got to make that choice and offers Tepig to battle his Pokemon to see if Tepig enjoys it or not. To White's horror, Tepig enjoys it a lot more than show business and wants to come to N's side which leaves White in a coma. Another example is Black who is aiming to be Pokemon champion. For a long time he thought Musha, his Munna, believed in his dreams of being Pokemon Champion. Black is practically an ace trainer at the beginning already starting with very powerful Pokemon but he can't progress well because he daydreams too much about how exciting his dreams of winning the Pokemon League are. That's where Musha comes in to eat those dreams, clearing Black's mind. The two seem like best friends until N comes in and deducts that Musha is only interested in Black's exciting dreams as a very tasty food source, not the actual goal itself. This possible truth seems likely as Musha ignores Black's commands when his dreams turn into nightmares, which changes this taste. Black feels horrified, betrayed that the Munna he thought he knew since he was five years old just leaves him, flying off into the wild. This emotionally breaks Black down so much that he falls into a coma himself.

In this scenario, you are a Pokemon Trainer who had a long-time friendship with your Pokemon, thinking that your Pokemon believed in your goals and enjoyed the Pokemon journey. However N enters the scene, saying you can't hear your Pokemon's voices and makes the deduction that your friendship is false. He reveals a possible truth and proves this truth, perhaps that you denied your Pokemon certain choices in life or that your Pokemon isn't interested in the journey or your goals but something else and loses interest once you become useless to that Pokemon's interests. How would you react if N makes this seemingly truthful deduction, what choice would you make for your Pokemon, how would you react if your own Pokemon made their own choices without your input and just left you?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. AgentKallus

AgentKallus Whovian

Something like this would depend entirely on the circumstances, I'd likely be devastated if I believed N, but it'd take a lot of convincing to get me believe him as he would be a stranger to me. I think looking at your examples I'd probably fall into a coma.

3. AuroraBeam

AuroraBeam Well-Known Member

Glad to know pokemon can be just as dishonest or disloyal as some people in that munna's case. If a conflict of interest came up with my hypothetical pokemon like White's tepig, I'd probably begrudgingly let them go in a "if you love something, set it free" kinda way. I'd be upset sure, but what could you do otherwise? But I'd like to think that I'd pay enough attention to my pokemon that I'd see such a problem arise and set things right myself before a weirdo animal psychic comes along and points it out...probably wouldn't go into a coma over it though.

4. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

It depends, if the pokemon is using me like Munna, I say good riddance. If it is my pokemon actually thinking about going off on his own thinking he can do better... no harm in letting them make the choice... but like AuroraBeam said... if the pokemon considers leaving me... I done something wrong and I should have addressed it before this guy came along.
    That bond between trainer and pokemon comes from mutual understanding.

5. shoz999

Good riddance? No offense but I just find the comments funny is all considering what happens later. Still a little quick to judge don't you think lol? This isn't some Pokemon Black recently captured, this is his second Pokemon he captured since he was 5 years old. As of now he lost his Munna at the age of 14. That's 9 years of friendship and great memories he had with that Munna and he suddenly just leaves him possibly because his dreams taste different?

6. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

All those years of friendship because of something that shallow? I would be pissed off to no end for being used and if that angry... what other word is there to say?!

(I am aware that the things comes back to Black latter and it was revealed that it left him for less than shallow reasons, I would be angry for a different reason... why didn't it tell me that was why it was leaving.)

shoz999 likes this.
  7. shoz999

Fair point but you have to remember Pokemon are similar to animals and cannot communicate properly to trainers. It's also why this is perfect for a lot of "Ash & Co. meets new Pokemon" plots lol.

Zhydra likes this.
  8. I would thank N for the advice, then work to make sure I'm keeping my Pokémon happy. If it needs something I can't provide I would give it to someone who can.

shoz999 likes this.
  9. shoz999

Kind of like Ash's Butterfree or Goodra right? Those were pretty sad moments.

10. Ignition

Ignition Smug Smasher

I never cared for N, so his advice wouldn't resonate with me for a second.