1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

You are a trainer on a PKMN Journey. Can you see yourself braving the Gym Trials? Or do you give up?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by shoz999, Oct 29, 2018.

?

As a PKMN Trainer, can you see yourself enjoying or braving these Gym Trials?

1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. shoz999

shoz999 Sonic's the name! Speed's my game!

In the Pokemon Games, practically every gym features a puzzle/trial before you actually battle the Gym Leaders themselves. They aren't hard and are more of an aesthetic design to give a gym a sense of personality. In both the Pokemon Adventures manga and the Pokemon anime, there is some background information that states that the Pokemon Gyms are one of the hardest obstacles for trainers on their Pokemon Journeys. They are described as so difficult that most trainers give up and look towards other Pokemon-related jobs such as a Pokemon doctor, Pokemon marketer, Pokemon farmer, Pokemon breeder, you name it. Some people who fail to enter the Pokemon League simply carry out jobs that are not too different from our world. It's why we see a lot of human doctors, businessmen, engineers, mechanics have teams of fairly-trained Pokemon because they at one time in their youth were on a Pokemon Journey only to give up. Here we take a look at Pokemon Adventures take on the Unova-style gym trials through Adventures protagonist, Black, and as you can see, unlike the anime which barely touches on Gym trials, the manga does not hold back on how challenging, terrifying, shocking and stomach-rumbling these Gym trials could be, unrestrained by the safety limits of the Pokemon games that make it look far more easier than it could be in real life.

[​IMG]
    • Striaton Gym, the usual first Gym trial that consist of ordinary trainer battles.

[​IMG]
    • Nacrene Gym, the second Gym trial that consist of putting your own knowledge of Pokemon to work.

[​IMG]
    • Castelia Gym, the third Gym trial that's actually a puzzle, your personal clothes going through goops of sticky honey in order to reach buttons that unlock barricaded doors.

[​IMG]
    • Nimbasa Gym, the fourth Gym trial consisting of a puzzle around a roller coaster that goes at extremely fast speeds and high loops in the air. Those who have a fear of heights or rocketing speeds could have difficulty succeeding at this trial, worst if you have to battle Gym Leader Elesa while stuck on the Roller Coaster as was the case for Black (Hilbert).

[​IMG]
    • Driftveil Gym, the fifth Gym trial that consists of descending down to the darkness of a massive hole through girders and elevators. One who is claustrophobic could have difficulty going through this trial.

[​IMG]
    • Mistralton Gym, the sixth Gym trial that consists of firing yourself out of a canon sky-high into the air. As I said before the manga does not hold back on the games take on the Gym trials and here, you will see Black losing his balance away from the solid ground, slamming his body into walls.

[​IMG]
    • Icirrus Gym, the seventh Gym trial consisting of spinning, not skiing, spinning yourself across the ice floor in order to get to your destination. One may experience nausea and dizziness from this Gym trial.

[​IMG]
    • Opelucid Gym, the eighth Gym trial that consists of manning dragons to create bridges. There are no rails and those who have fear of heights or claustrophobia will definitely not enjoy this challenge.

That is end of the list and you have seen how difficult the Gym trials of Unova could be through Black's startling point of view, not confined by the safety limits of the video game. You've seen Black pointing out the stickiness of the honey walls, about to hop on board on a massive long roller coaster ride that goes in loops, spin in dizzyness across the ice floor and absolutely shocked, finding himself high in the air and this is just Unova's line of Gym Challenges. In other games there exists Surge's Gym Trial which consists of electric traps. In Claire's Gym Trial, you find yourself exploring the magma-filled caverns of Blackthorne Gym. In Wallace's Gym, you find yourself carefully solving a puzzle while your feet is cracking the ice below. These are all exciting or fear-inducing trials that will test your bravery, skills and wits.

In this scenario, you are a Pokemon trainer who believes that you are ready for the upcoming Pokemon journey, not realizing what these Gym trials may have in store for you. Some of you may find this an exciting adventure, others puzzled at what the Gym Leaders have in store for you and some screaming in fear as you find yourself thrown out of a canon desperately trying to hold onto something or hoping your feet touches the solid ground without breaking a bone. What reactions would you have as you take on the challenge of these diverse selection of Gym Trials? Would you take it and enjoy what surprises await for you? Would you take it and try to brave your fears knowing you cannot reach the Pokemon League unless you get through these Gym trials? Could you find yourself too tired or too scared to continue on and give up on your dreams of winning the Pokemon League? Perhaps looking forward to a different Pokemon journey to a different Pokemon-esque career such as a Pokemon breeder or Pokemon doctor or perhaps a non-Pokemon-esque career such as a human doctor or an engineer, becoming one of the many handful of people holding both a good-paying job and Pokemon who gained a fair amount of experience from your journey as an 11 year old or higher. Now you understand why the Pokemon League has very few participants in the end, could you be one of those few or will you pursue a different path?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

Screw that. I want to mess with the creatures that can kill us all!

Twilight-Kun likes this.
  3. shoz999

Oh. You mean if Pokemon suddenly became real, you'd treat it like the apocalypse full of cute nuclear warheads, looking to survive lol.

AuraChannelerChris likes this.
  4. If I was taking on gyms I would use unconventional Pokémon and strategies. For example I might use Stantler which is not considered powerful and then surprise them with its illusion abilities.

shoz999 likes this.
  5. shoz999

Stantler would be a cool Pokemon to use by his Pokedex entry but this is more like how would you react or tackle on the Gym Trials themselves before getting to the Gym Leaders, not the Gym Leaders themselves.

On a side note. Who else thinks Stantler should get Zoroark's Illusion ability?

6. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

I'd steer clear of gyms and spend time with my adorable little Dark-types