• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

You can’t see the inside of shops/buildings? Seriously GameFreak?

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
A file was found within the game, it shows a house interior that was labeled as being found in Zapapico.

This shows that there was indeed interiors planned but they did not have the time to finish it.

Fo-V3tbXoAAIley

Fo-WAF4X0AAmnEC

Fo-WOWSXsAAnANR

A file was found within the game, it shows a house interior that was labeled as being found in Zapapico.

This shows that there was indeed interiors planned but they did not have the time to finish it.

Fo-V3tbXoAAIley

Fo-WAF4X0AAmnEC

Fo-WOWSXsAAnANR
Interesting that there seems to be some sort of tunnel leading out of the house. I feel like this wasn't intended to just be some ordinary house but maybe something related to excavation. Fossil digging perhaps? Would fit with the tools on the wall.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Interesting that there seems to be some sort of tunnel leading out of the house. I feel like this wasn't intended to just be some ordinary house but maybe something related to excavation. Fossil digging perhaps? Would fit with the tools on the wall.
I’m pretty sure that is a fireplace, not a tunnel

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Not surprising.
Im used to them releasing half baked games.
SV were just horrible with the lags and glitches.
You should play PS games, such as Hogwarts Legacy and God of War, to see how quality games look like
After playing Hogwarts Legacy, I see how the developers put love and care into the game, where SV look like they rushed everything to release it on time and make money. They know fans will buy their games no matter what so they dont care and release buggy and un finished games. But they sure can create DLC's for their glitchy games to grab some more money...

Copley Hill Gym

Not surprising.
You should play PS games, such as Hogwarts Legacy and God of War, to see how quality games look like
After playing Hogwarts Legacy, I see how the developers put love and care into the game, where SV look like they rushed everything to release it on time and make money. They know fans will buy their games no matter what so they dont care and release buggy and un finished games. But they sure can create DLC's for their glitchy games to grab some more money...

I have definitely played far worse games for lags and glitches than S/V. The issues are massively overplayed by, dare I say it, a few disgruntled fans who have their own agenda to spout.

Also - Pokémon games glitchy? This is the first game in the series I have played in three decades that has anything approaching proper glitches and issues. Pokémon is generally gold standard for sold design and lack of glitches. Sw/Sh were incredibly stable games.

I think with respect, you personally spend an awful lot of your time on this forum making the issues appear bigger than they are. You don't like the game, you feel disappointed by it? That's fine, but be balanced and fair.

Hogwarts Legacy has its own glitch issues too, by the way. Well documented on the net and in the news. It's not immune from this. Neither is God of War.

I think everyone recognises that S/V are not perfect but at the heart of these games are some excellent design and gameplay underpinned by the best storylines in a Pokémon series for decades. S/V are outselling virtually everything else, still posting solid numbers since their release, over 20 million sold.

Copley Hill Gym

As the poster above alludes, it's a fireplace. Very popular and common style in Spain:

modern-traditional-house.jpg

I’m pretty sure that is a fireplace, not a tunnel
As the poster above alludes, it's a fireplace. Very popular and common style in Spain:

modern-traditional-house.jpg
Yeah that's definitely possible. That was my initial assumption as well but there are a few parts that just don't really make sense to me.
fire.png

The first is the sheer length of the tunnel, I cannot see why they would make the tunnel that long and curved if it was just meant to be a fireplace.
The tunnel also appears to be carved into natural rock instead of being a pipe built into the house.

Copley Hill Gym

Yeah that's definitely possible. That was my initial assumption as well but there are a few parts that just don't really make sense to me.
fire.png

The first is the sheer length of the tunnel, I cannot see why they would make the tunnel that long and curved if it was just meant to be a fireplace.
The tunnel also appears to be carved into natural rock instead of being a pipe built into the house.
Really old houses built into sides of cliffs or hills in Spain are literally built like this: it’s a chimney. Recognised it as such straight away. If you look at Zapapico you will see a few houses that this interior likely applies to.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Not surprising.
Sorry I'm not paying $70 for any game $60 is the limit (and even that's pushing it)

ShuckFam

I really missed being able to break into people's houses as well. I remember in GSC, I stole a Shuckle from a trainer who asked me to return it. Without the ability to do that, my name on here might not be ShuckFam and I might not have been able to appreciate Shuckle (or berry juice) as much as I do today.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The reason why the fireplace looks so deep like that is that it's built into a cliff. They need a long distance to reach the open air, a place where the smoke can escape.

Bear in mind that most 3D games use illusions very aggressively when it comes to areas the characters and cameras cannot reach. Things that look right when you're playing normally will look really weird if you can move the camera where you're not supposed to. A common example is the "skybox," namely that the skies in 3D games are usually actually box-shaped, not spherical; you just can't see the edges because of the lighting. Another is that the entire game world is rarely rendered and presented to you at once, but rather, places and people disappear as they move off-camera. Yet another is that objects and landmasses in areas you can't reach are typically shrunk down to make them appear further away.

Some specific examples:
  • In The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening HD, every character (including Link) and object are leaned back, away from the camera, to allow the player a better view of things and of people from its fixed camera angle.
  • In Sonic Heroes, the stage Hang Castle Zone has a gimmick of flipped gravity--but the truth is that there is a second-upside-down stage placed elsewhere, and what looks like Sonic and the others reversing their gravity (or restoring it back to normal) is the game teleporting them to the upside-down stage (or rightside-up stage). They're placed such that you can't see one version of the stage from the other.
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf (but not New Horizons) is set on a cylinder, not a flat plane. This allows objects and characters to disappear over the horizon after a short distance but without looking like you live on a tiny planet.
  • And in one of the earliest 3D games, Super Mario 64, the Tiny-Huge Island room has three paths. The middle path is the standard one. The left path makes Mario appear to get larger, but the hallway is actually designed smaller and shorter; while the right path makes Mario appear to get smaller, but the hallway is actually designed larger and longer. The concept is quite similar to an Ames room, which appears rectangular except people appear to shrink and grow as they walk across it--because there isn't a single right angle to be found in an Ames room.
Here is a video explaining and demonstrating an Ames room. 3D video games are full of illusions like these. They're meant to look right based on the camera's restraints, but they don't necessarily have to look right from unintended angles.

Last edited:

Ryker101

Not surprising.

Tbh I’m with you here. Pokemon is legit quantity > quality nowadays. Crazy how much they charge you compared to other games. There’s a number of trash AAA games but you’d think pokemon would still have basics like good graphics, voice acting, level scaling etc after 20 years

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Tbh I’m with you here. Pokemon is legit quantity > quality nowadays. Crazy how much they charge you compared to other games. There’s a number of trash AAA games but you’d think pokemon would still have basics like good graphics, voice acting, level scaling etc after 20 years
Once again I repeat that they are on too short of a schedule for too little manpower. 250 employees split into two teams working on two seperate projects at the same time to keep with the release schedule is not the greatest process.

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
Once again I repeat that they are on too short of a schedule for too little manpower. 250 employees split into two teams working on two seperate projects at the same time to keep with the release schedule is not the greatest process.
In my opinion, the entire place needs a complete restructure from top to bottom. The model can keep going, of course it can, but it'll lead to neither a good work environment nor to truly good games.

This interview came out the other day and one of the highlights is that they believe it is important for GF to continue making and releasing non-Pokemon title games.
And I'm like "dude, you can barely even keep up with the current Pokemon schedule. How are you supposed to make other games on top of that?".
The other ones are that they're trying out things with external studios because game development resources have grown once more reaffirming that they're on a yearly game schedule and that they're having more trouble since the games again, require more resources, and are increasingly graphically complex (lol).

So, okay, cool, they're realizing they can't keep up and that they need more, but you wonder, are they truly doing enough? They even admit the yearly schedule is definitively a thing. You go look at other yearly franchises and they have at minimum triple the number of people GF does and like one or two other extra studios too.
I looked at the other ILCA games once and I couldn't help but think "are these really the same people who made BDSP? Why do all those other games look like that while BDSP looks like this? Why was only BDSP absolutely completely broken on release?"
We're a decade into the 3D games. How is it that they just realizing just now that 3D games development is more resource intensive? That a small indie studio please understand team divided in two is not enough?
And even that becomes meaningless if when you are already on a horrible yearly schedule you then also split your already small team even more to work on other games. Other games that are most certainly guaranteed to bomb. That just causes more workload on everyone for practically zero reward. I mean, look at Town. Absolutely no one cared about it. And not even just because it was not Pokemon but because it was a horribly mediocre game too.

In a way though, it's kinda sad. You can definitively tell that GF somewhat resents being the "Pokemon studio" and wants to break out of that but they just cannot and will never be able to. GF games sell because they're Pokemon, not because they're made by GF. It's a sad reality for them.

Mediocre devs, horrible development schedule, unmotivated and unhappy workers because of what they're working on and the horrible schedule.
It's a recipe for disaster.

Like, sure, you'll buy it anyway and all. Why change anything when the newest release is now the 4th best selling generation and about to top the previous generation liketime sales in not even half a year?
But like is there seriously not a single person with power there that looks at all that and realizes things are ****ed up at a core level even if the games are selling gorillions and they should try to change them or fix them? I know it's a business and all first and foremost but still...

The whole thing is a mess there.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Pokémon feels like Game Freak getting those once-in-a-lifetime lightining in the bottle. In many ways one could say it was a hit despite Game Freak (to an extent, of course)

Personally, I see no issue with them wanting to do things other than Pokémon. But I do think they need to do it in a way so the Pokémon games can be more polished

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Like, sure, you'll buy it anyway and all. Why change anything when the newest release is now the 4th best selling generation and about to top the previous generation liketime sales in not even half a year?
But like is there seriously not a single person with power there that looks at all that and realizes things are ****ed up at a core level even if the games are selling gorillions and they should try to change them or fix them? I know it's a business and all first and foremost but still...

The whole thing is a mess there.
I think you're blaming the wrong people here. The ones putting the Pokémon main series on an annual release schedule is most likely The Pokémon Company, which gets the majority of its profits not from the games themselves, but the merchandise, which outsells all other Pokémon-related things combined two-to-one. Thus, Pokémon is technically a merchandise franchise, not a video game franchise. Most of the executives at the top of The Pokémon Company are not from within the video game industry, but from toys, stationery, marketing, and so forth. They know new Pokémon are the most reliable sales boosts, so they want new Pokémon coming out as frequently as possible. But they don't know (or don't care) that a video game's development cycle is much longer than that of a toy, a stationery line, or school supplies, at least to put something out in a satisfactory manner.

The most infamous example is the Atari 2600 adaptation of E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, in which 4 weeks were given to make the game. Video games were seen as a type of toy (and to an extent, they still are), for kids to play with and quickly discard and move on. It's not profitable for someone to buy a toy and use it for years on end. It's more profitable to keep producting demand and compulsion in its consumers to keep buying.

emawerna

The most infamous example is the Atari 2600 adaptation of E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, in which 4 weeks were given to make the game. Video games were seen as a type of toy (and to an extent, they still are), for kids to play with and quickly discard and move on. It's not profitable for someone to buy a toy and use it for years on end. It's more profitable to keep producting demand and compulsion in its consumers to keep buying.

I wasn't alive yet, but I'm interested enough in the story to have pieced together what happened. The story is more complicated and nuanced than corporate greed alone would suggest. The E.T. movie had been a surprise hit in June 1982. VCR's were a new-ish technology at the time and Blockbuster (video rental place) had just been founded. 1982 was still within but at the end of the era when most people didn't have a way to re-view movies once the movies left the theater. Average consumers were starting to get cable but there were only about 30 channels. Video games were a novelty item bought by an older generation for a younger generation on special occasions, not what video games are today.

Atari thought it had to make and distribute an E.T. video game by Christmas 1982 because consumers would have moved on by Christmas 1983. The Atari executives weren't necessarily wrong. A guy with a big ego, Howard Scott Warshaw, said he could make the deadline. He had made "Raiders of the Lost Ark," which was hard to play because players had to rely on instructions in a small booklet with the game and calling a help line. Raiders didn't have in-game prompts to tell players to buy a shovel or that the block that represented Indiana Jones was swinging around a grappling hook (represented as a dot) that needed to be hooked onto bigger blocks in order for Indiana Jones to move to the next spot.

Corporate executives had asked Howard to make a Pacman knockoff themed around E.T. and call it a day. Howard (working alone and not getting input from anyone else) delivered another game like Raiders but that had gameplay that was even less well explained. In his game, E.T. fell into holes and had to search for and collect telephone parts. Copies of this game would be opened and played for the first time on Christmas. On Christmas, the help line would likely have been closed.

The reason for why Game Freak acts the way it does and makes the mistakes it does is also nuanced. Being a Japanese company, it can't fire people easily at all. So, it doesn't want to hire an extra-large workforce because it is a one-trick pony of a company. Game Freaks other games haven't been super successful. If the Pokemon franchise falls apart ten years from now, Game Freak doesn't want to get stuck being unable to support that many employees. The solution would be to give a foreign developer more leeway than was granted to ILCA in remaking brilliant diamond and shining pearl. As we know, ILCA did no reworking of the original game. It just transcribed the original game onto a new console with updated graphics. However, that solution of allowing foreigners to contribute more towards producing the main line series would be handing over something that is quintessentially Japanese (Pokemon) to foreign control.

My opinion:
Players never really shopped in pokemon games. The person behind the counter would sell you the product. If you interacted with the product displays, the game would tell you the shelves were stuffed with pokemon goods. I don't miss the inside of shops. It isn't specifically about going into houses. I miss all the pokemon trainer classes with colorful backstories and dialogue. I don't recall running across a single swimmer. Why are there Spanish fighting bulls but no bullfighters? Also, the height of the mountains gets to be annoying.